Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine is leaving Houston Texans front office

He was made the interim GM following the firing of Grigson. He was never going to be seriously considered for the permanent Colts GM position. He was given the courtesy of being interviewed. There was talk for the past few years that Grigson and he had to go. He was originally brought in Jan of 2013 specifically to help bolster the support cast for Luck. None of the 2013 Colts draftees are still with the team. It is obvious that these two to date have failed miserably ito find the pieces to protect/support their golden child.
He was according to Ian:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...nner-for-colts-general-manager-opening-012217

Colts insider:

"Jimmy Raye is well respected around the league. Veteran personnel man and son of a trailblazing coach"
https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/822942042523373570

Found LT, Brees, and Gates:
Among the highlights of his tenure with San Diego, according to a Colts.com story, was his recommendation to bypass drafting Michael Vick with the first overall pick in the 2001 NFL draft and instead trade the pick. The Chargers ended up drafting Hall of Fame finalist LaDanian Tomlinson with the fifth overall pick and selecting, on Raye's recommendation, future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees in the second round. Raye also is credited with leading the group that recommended the Chargers sign a basketball player named Antonio Gates.

In his time with the Colts, Raye became "the most trusted confidant" of Grigson

“I think anyone will tell you that Jimmy Raye is the furthest thing from a ‘Yes Man’ there is in this league, and that is critical for someone in my position,” Grigson told Colts.com. “Quite frankly I don’t like to hear some of his opinions sometimes, because I may be leaning very hard in a certain way and express a passionate position in an animated way, but Jimmy is someone who can hit you right back between the eyes with a well thought-out alternative perspective in a very matter of fact way.

“After it all marinates, I forget that he initially ticked me off and I say to myself, ‘Dang, I’m glad I have him.’”

According to Colts.com, Raye counts undrafted free agents Zach Kerr and Jonotthan Harrison, as well as seventh-round pick Denzelle Good, among his proudest finds.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...eet-colts-interim-gm-jimmy-raye-iii/96900732/

Last edited:
The decline of the Colts speaks for itself as does the hype that he was "clearly the frontrunner for the Colts general manager opening." As Raye was considered Grigson"s "most trusted confident," they were both tied to the hip. Both were responsible for the isolated personnel successes, and the growing string of failures.

The decline of the Colts speaks for itself as does the hype that he was "clearly the frontrunner for the Colts general manager opening." As Raye was considered Grigson"s "most trusted confident," they were both tied to the hip. Both were responsible for the isolated personnel successes, and the growing string of failures.

He was only there 4 years. The decline of the Colts during his time was entirely on Luck"s heaalth.

And LOL you have their drafts sucking and steelb had them as great.

Why does everyone (not really everyone) think Garropolo is a "good" QB? Dude has like a four or five game sample size? Osweiler had a 7 or 8 game sample size. Played well enough in those games to line the bank account. But he's horrible. Ol Jimmy could be the same....

I get sick & tired of this argument as well. The dude has played a total of SIX quarters! And we're supposed to believe we passed on a future HOF QB?

Your basic cop out. Can we all just agree that the owner can fire anyone in organization? YES! That doesn't necessarily make them all assistants (The Cop Out). Now that we can all agree the owner can fire anyone in the organization may be we can get back to some adult conversation and discussion and stop with the Middle School argumentative BS.
That's not a 'cop out'.
It is a definition to anyone with a molecule or two of middle school common sense.
You want better discussion?
Stop making specious statements and bring some substance to the table.

He was only there 4 years. The decline of the Colts during his time was entirely on Luck"s heaalth.

And LOL you have their drafts sucking and steelb had them as great.

And why would one suspect Luck's "health" has been repeatedly deteriorated.................lacerated spleen, rib fracture, shoulder dislocations? Was he clumsy, not able to keep his feet, or just having a love affair with the turf?

He has been exposed to 115 sacks since 2013 when Raye came to the Colts. Luck's sack number of 41 in 2012 was the exact same number that Luck enjoyed last year in 2016.

And as far as the condescending "LOL you have their drafts sucking and steelb had them as great," be assured that on this MB as all others, there will always be opposing opinions. I'd dare say that one could rather easily pick a "couple" conflicting examples involving your posts.

Last edited:

A recycled card from the reshuffled deck of mediocrity. The players remain the same in another episode of NFL musical chairs.

And why would one suspect Luck' "health" has been repeatedly deteriorated.................lacerated spleen, rib fracture, shoulder dislocations? Was he clumsy, not able to keep his feet, or just having a love affair with the turf?

He has been exposed to 115 sacks since 2013 when Raye came to the Colts. Luck's sack number of 41 in 2012 was the exact same number that Luck enjoyed last year in 2016.

Dude runs a ton and doesn't slide.

And as far as the condescending "LOL you have their drafts sucking and steelb had them as great," be assured that on this MB as all others, there will always be opposing opinions. I'd dare say that one could rather easily pick a "couple" conflicting examples involving your posts.

Nothing condescending about finding humor in polar opposite descriptions.

Not knowing the details of their relationship I can't really put the horrific Indy OL (and thus Luck's injuries) on Raye's shoulders. He worked under Ryan Grigson in Indy and Grigson was one of the worst talent evaluators in the business.

Can't disagree, during most of the games, he's been forced to run for his life.

I mean, other than he ran for 1,000 yards in three years at Stanford and had gained almost 1,500 yards and 100 first downs rushing in the NFL, yeah it's all been running for his life because of bad pass pro.

I mean, other than he ran for 1,000 yards in three years at Stanford and had gained almost 1,500 yards and 100 first downs rushing in the NFL, yeah it's all been running for his life because of bad pass pro.

Running is common place in college. And you really believe that the Colts have been wanting to see their franchise QB Luck running against NFL teams like he has had to in order to bolster his/their yardage.

Running is common place in college. And you really believe that the Colts have been wanting to see their franchise QB Luck running against NFL teams like he has had to in order to bolster his/their yardage.

No, of course not. Just saying that Luck is a mobile QB and sees the opportunity when it presents itself. He isn't a Schaub-like statue.

I would surmise that his coaches would like to see him take the Russell Wilson strategy of sliding or getting out of bounds to avoid getting hit a lot.
But that isn't really who Luck is.
I don't have to tell you how often instincts overrule coaching in athletes who have been successful operating from instincts. And Luck's instinct is to make the play, whatever it takes.

He was made the interim GM following the firing of Grigson. He was never going to be seriously considered for the permanent Colts GM position. He was given the courtesy of being interviewed. There was talk for the past few years that Grigson and he had to go. He was originally brought in Jan of 2013 specifically to help bolster the support cast for Luck. None of the 2013 Colts draftees are still with the team. It is obvious that these two to date have failed miserably ito find the pieces to protect/support their golden child.

More of the re-cycling of NFL personnel.

I am confident there are many retired players who would make better scouts than many who now have the job. They can learn the cap stuff on the job.

Why not give players a chance / opportunity beyond their playing days. A chance at further success.

:coffee:

Unfortunately, McNair isn't a quitter.
You didn't say it was McNair in that case you go to the Cogen Executive Boardroom, you call Bob Kraft and beg and plead with him to tell you who you could hire and would be willing to take the Texans HC job.

DAIw4MrVwAAj-sl.jpg:large

Sooooo.... we shouldn't go after the best FA QB. We shouldn't trade up to get the best QB prospect in the draft.

It sounds like you're saying we should continue to do what we had done previously (draft a bargain QB like Savage or sign the FA QB no one else wants like Fitz, or trade practically nothing for another team's project QB like Mallet) & expect different results.
So exactly how many bad QBs does the Cogen Energy Boardroom have to trot out on the field before you say enough is enough?

So exactly how many bad QBs does the Cogen Energy Boardroom have to trot out on the field before you say enough is enough?

What comes after "enough is enough"?

For me, it's stop with the Fitzpatrick & Hoyers. Bring some one in with potential. That was Brock & now Watson.

I don't know the reasoning behind Fitzpatrick or Hoyer... or Osweiler for that matter. But I think it's silly to assume Rick forced Fitz, Mallett, & Hoyer on O'b.

& then Osweiler & Watson.

It's even worse to argue we need one man in control of these decisions which would imply forcing players on coaches... & downright stupid to think O'b should be that man in charge.

I would be okay with a shake up but not sure this is correct one.
I wouldn't call this little move a "shake up".

As has been said earlier, this seems more like a man taking a lateral move for a better chance at moving up down the road.

It's even worse to argue we need one man in control of these decisions which would imply forcing players on coaches... & downright stupid to think O'b should be that man in charge.

Seemed to work fine for Lombardi, Schramm, Noll, Grant, Davis, Shula, Walsh, Johnson, Parcels, Levy, Wolf, Thompson, Newsome, Belichick, Carroll.

I never said O'Brien should be in charge, your words not mine.

Last edited:
Seemed to work fine for Lombardi, Schramm, Noll, Shula, Walsh, Johnson, Parcels, Levy, Wolf, Thompson, Newsome, Belichick, Carroll.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I'm saying one argument contradicts the other. You (figurative) can't argue against the GM forcing players on a HC then argue our GM should be like Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome.

In one post we have a guy complaining Wade Phillips wasn't consulted before bringing in Ed Reed. Later that same poster recommends we get a GM that makes all personnel decisions on his own... Ozzie.

& you mentioned Johnson. If you're referring to Jimmy Johnson, that's pretty much the dynamic we have. Rick Smith is basically Jerry Jones filling the orders made by Jimmy Johnson. The problem is Kubiak & O'Brien are not Jimmy Johnson.

You want smart athletic leaders, Rick gets them. You want high motor guys, Rick gets them. You want speed, Rick gets them.

You want to trade up for Fuller, Nix, McKinney, Rick gets him.

You want Patrick Peterson, Rick puts together a deal that should reasonably get him... But sometimes things don't go as plan & you have to adjust. Sometimes he's flat out wrong.

If I were a head coach I'd want total control. A yes man like Rick Smith would be the next best thing. He's basically Jerry Jones getting you what you want.

Yeah, he missed on JimmyG (maybe). But waiting to get him at the top of the third made more sense than getting him at the top of the 2nd.

I never said O'Brien should be in charge, your words not mine.

No, you didn't. You said someone who isn't even here should be in charge which is even dumber than the guy arguing O'b should be.

I like your ideas... Jimbo Fisher, Shaw, Wolfe. But these are guys no one has been able to get. They're unavailable for all intents & purposes. Arguing that we should have gotten them is like arguing a guy should have married Ellen Degeneres. You blame the guy for not being what Ellen wants. But there isn't a guy in the world that Ellen wants.

Same thing here. McNair isn't the kind of Owner Jimbo Fisher or Elliot Wolfe wants to work for. But no one else is either. Except the Packers on Wolfe's case.

Last edited:
I believe that Texian is playing a character whenever he logs on to this board.

I have had many conversations with him where he came off as way too intelligent to believe some of the things he claims to believe.

Or he has split personalities.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I'm saying one argument contradicts the other. You (figurative) can't argue against the GM forcing players on a HC then argue our GM should be like Ted Thompson or Ozzie Newsome.

In one post we have a guy complaining Wade Phillips wasn't consulted before bringing in Ed Reed. Later that same poster recommends we get a GM that makes all personnel decisions on his own... Ozzie.

& you mentioned Johnson. If you're referring to Jimmy Johnson, that's pretty much the dynamic we have. Rick Smith is basically Jerry Jones filling the orders made by Jimmy Johnson. The problem is Kubiak & O'Brien are not Jimmy Johnson.

You want smart athletic leaders, Rick gets them. You want high motor guys, Rick gets them. You want speed, Rick gets them. What does the record day? What is the scoreboard telling you?

You want to trade up for Fuller, Nix, McKinney, Rick gets him.

You want Patrick Peterson, Rick puts together a deal that should reasonably get him... But sometimes things don't go as plan & you have to adjust. Sometimes he's flat out wrong.

If I were a head coach I'd want total control. A yes man like Rick Smith would be the next best thing. He's basically Jerry Jones getting you what you want.

Yeah, he missed on JimmyG (maybe). But waiting to get him at the top of the third made more sense than getting him at the top of the 2nd.

No, you didn't. You said someone who isn't even here should be in charge which is even dumber than the guy arguing O'b should be.

I like your ideas... Jimbo Fisher, Shaw, Wolfe. But these are guys no one has been able to get. They're unavailable for all intents & purposes. Arguing that we should have gotten them is like arguing a guy should have married Ellen Degeneres. You blame the guy for not being what Ellen wants. But there isn't a guy in the world that Ellen wants.

Same thing here. McNair isn't the kind of Owner Jimbo Fisher or Elliot Wolfe wants to work for. But no one else is either. Except the Packers on Wolfe's case.
There are days when you don't make a lot sense, just rambling and babbling, this is one of them. You are also the King of Excuses!

I believe that Texian is playing a character whenever he logs on to this board.

I have had many conversations with him where he came off as way too intelligent to believe some of the things he claims to believe.

Or he has split personalities.
Was it a difference of our opinions on draft picks/analysis or was it my explanation to a young child that 4 years of experience is better than 3 years of experience that led you to these conclusions? :)

What they have very publicly seem chapped with him about is not sliding.

I always thought this was a bit strange. Admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Colts games, but when I have, he's slid frequently. There are times when he doesn't, but that's true for many mobile QBs. Maybe I'm projecting what I saw this past year to previous years.

Their main issue has been OL both in pass pro and run blocking. I think Luck shares some of the blame for his injuries, but there is absolutely no reason that a talent such as Luck should have been playing behind the OL play that he has.

I always thought this was a bit strange. Admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Colts games, but when I have, he's slid frequently. There are times when he doesn't, but that's true for many mobile QBs. Maybe I'm projecting what I saw this past year to previous years.

Their main issue has been OL both in pass pro and run blocking. I think Luck shares some of the blame for his injuries, but there is absolutely no reason that a talent such as Luck should have been playing behind the OL play that he has.
They have tried on occasion to address the weaknesses of the OL but they were clear misses by Grigson.

I wouldn't call this little move a "shake up".

As has been said earlier, this seems more like a man taking a lateral move for a better chance at moving up down the road.
So you are 100% certain this might not be a "try the new guy as A'sst GM then move Rick Smith"?

The main issue is the OL and the hits he takes in the pocket but there have been some scrambles where he takes on a Safety. That's the criticism. The only other guy in the league who does that is Cam and the Panthers have been very open about wanting him to cut it out and protect himself.

So you are 100% certain this might not be a "try the new guy as A'sst GM then move Rick Smith"?
I believe this is an audition for the GM job. Rick Smith will probably get his "promotion" after this season ends. I just hope Raye ends up being a good GM and keeps the arrow pointed up for us.

Really? Ellen is the best that you can do. My argument is not so much we have to get one of these guys as it is until you get a guy who knows how to win more football games than most, your odds of winning it all are drastically diminished.

Every year some of the BIG 4 college coaches are approached with NFL job opportunities. Every year they say thanks but no thanks with the caveat that one day they would consider coaching in the NFL if the right situation came along. Here let me translate that for you:

TRANSLATION of IF THE RIGHT SITUATION COMES ALONG: this means an ironclad agreement of having full and complete control over all football operations and if the agreement is breached by the owner I can leave with a full 5 year severance package due to breach of contract.

CAN ALSO BE INTERPRETED AS FOLLOWS: I am not leaving my college job that pays me a similar amount of money, were I have complete and full control over all things football and that allows me to win many games than my competition and also work in a state where I am considered a God, to take another job working for egotistical Billionaire who want to override my decisions, sticking his nose in every single thing I am doing and where I would have limited control.

The problem with Bob McNair and his merry band of loser owners is they have been courting Ellen DeGeneres when they should be courting Miss America instead! (Now that's how you use an Ellen DeGeneres analogy).

Last edited:
The problem with Bob McNair and his merry band of loser owners is they have been courting Ellen DeGeneres when they should be courting Miss America instead! (Now that's how you use an Ellen DeGeneres analogy).

:handclap:

It only took you 31 hours to get there.

That's it, this is an irreplaceable loss and we will look back at this loss when the Bills win a Super Bowl or two and we have a longer drought making the playoffs than the Bills currently have!!! The sky is falling!!!

O'Brien is trying to save his job and reputation. As we know, he doesn't have a contract after this year. After 4 years he built a historically bad offense, but if Watson plays great, then he's a QB guru and offensive genius again.

Rick and McNair are probably not counting on O'Brien leaving, they just haven't decided yet (hence no extension). But there was a lot of tension in the room when the trade up happen, so a lot of the other front office folks were probably thinking WTF.[/QUOTE:?
There are days when you don't make a lot sense, just rambling and babbling, this is one of them. You are also the King of Excuses!
He is among a handful of posters on here who can keep some perspective and actually makes sense.

If you're OK with perpetual mediocrity.
I am willing to give O'b credit for somehow having enough offense to get us a winning record every year he has been our head coach because I can see how not having the right fit at the Qb position can affect the offense he wants to implement, however I will not give him an unlimitted pass while always blaming the lack of talent at quarterback and not being treated fairly by our head coach and GM. At some point reasons become excuses and as for me I am at that point.

I am sure O'b has had plenty of input on this team during the drafts but I see no reason why he should have his say as much as it seems he would like. O'b was not hired as a GM or co GM and he knew that when he was hired to coach the team. The excuse that he took the job to get his feet in the door and for the pay is BS. He knew his role and accepted it when he took the job. I don't blame our owner or GM for not acquiescing to all of O'b's demands if indeed he made demands that they did not ahere to.

Back