Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Breaking News: Texans Do Nothing Again!

281Texan

Waterboy
Talent dont matter when you ain't got the QB.

Not absolving BOB, he should be gone after the K.C. debacle.
OK I thought this whole get rid of a deshaun thing was a joke but I guess not. In what realm is he not a top 10 (almost top 5 QB) and who would you take over him? Burrow maybe. But I’m still riding with Deshaun if I had the pick. He’s an outstanding young QB and a future MVP with the correct coaching

RGV82

Random guy
OK I thought this whole get rid of a deshaun thing was a joke but I guess not. In what realm is he not a top 10 (almost top 5 QB) and who would you take over him? Burrow maybe. But I’m still riding with Deshaun if I had the pick. He’s an outstanding young QB and a future MVP with the correct coaching
I agree, and even if by chance (big IF) he turns out to be a bust, he still deserves another year or 2 to develop before giving up on him. He was top 10 QB Rating and top 10 Pass completion percentage this year. Even if you did want to get rid of him, realistically there are no better options out there right now. Our defense needs to be addressed WAY before we start worrying about our quarterbacking situation.

Texas Jake

Rookie
That's why we lost... she couldn't command any attention
IIRC we added her late in the season and I don't think she was truly in NFL shape. Riding the stationary bike just ain't the same as being out their on the field in the playoffs. If Burt had been out their with her on the field, that might have been a game changer.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good.
Let him be gone first.
As you had agreed to it.

You got to cut down the poorly-functioned brain first.
It's been telling the whole body to do mediocre things, besides doing bad things on its own.
Let both of them go, trade DW4 and start over looking for a new QB because you aren't winning a championship with DW4.

After these playoffs and the last month of the season this should be obvious to all. But it's not.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We really cant pass judgement on Watson when he's been saddled with OB … that offense is piss poor and then some.
Watson might actually be good enough to get us where we want to go in the right system - I'm not 100% convinced of that but I think the chances are better than 50-50 with the right coach / system.

Obviously we don't have that with OB. That's the first step - If Watson fails with another regime , then we start looking in another direction.

And you may as well face the facts - Watson aint going anywhere in the next several years , you are stuck with him.
They don't have the draft picks to find a better option. They aint trading for a better option.

Its Watson or bust for the next 3 years minimum.
Disagree about him being the future, unless you're OK with the part he played in 51-7.

Agreed about the 3 yrs. Unfortunately

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
51-7

Riding into a ditch would be more like it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Please stop. It doesn't make sense. It ain't going to happen. All you're doing is giving him opportunity to repeat it.

281Texan

Waterboy
I agree, and even if by chance (big IF) he turns out to be a bust, he still deserves another year or 2 to develop before giving up on him. He was top 10 QB Rating and top 10 Pass completion percentage this year. Even if you did want to get rid of him, realistically there are no better options out there right now. Our defense needs to be addressed WAY before we start worrying about our quarterbacking situation.
I mean I think he’s already proven to not be a bust. The man is 24 years old and aside from Lamar and Mahomes is the best young QB in the league. I just don’t see how you ask for much more. It’s like fans have forgotten the entire existence of our organization without a bonafide QB. We’ve been waiting for deshaun to come around and now that we have him we think we can get better. Or we want a 42 year old Brady. Just doesn’t even make sense to me.

Deshaun has never had a complete team. And he’s always had OB. Either he hasn’t had the weapons, no OL, and now no defense or coaching. Give the kid a complete team and half assed decent coaching and we’re fine

281Texan

Waterboy
51-7

Riding into a ditch would be more like it.
Man I’m sorry but you are so far off with this take it’s unreal.

51-7 but you don’t take into account that because of boneheaded decisions by OB and poor special teams we basically gifted them 14 points. They had the ball in their red zone twice because of special teams plays or turnovers. The defense was atrocious. They went into the season thinking JJo could hold up as a #1. They were wrong. We lost Gipson and Addae and had Lonnie Johnson covering Kelce. Lonnie May one day develop and be a decent player, but he’s in over his head. He committed a gross amount of penalties and couldn’t matchup with Kelce to save his life. Deshaun threw for 300 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 picks. You get tytus back, upgrade the interior of the OL, and build around Tunsil, Scharping, and Howard.

Regardless, nobody in this draft class is even remotely close to Deshaun. Not even Joe Burrow. Burrow had the coaching, scheme, and weapons to be great at LSU. He was throwing to 2 first round WR’s and Randy Moss’s son at TE with arguably the greatest collegiate offensive mind in the game.

Tua had damn near 3 first round WR’s, another future top 60 pick, multiple first and second rounders on the OL, and a top 60 pick at RB, so let’s rule him out.

Herbert isn’t even close. Maybe he develops into a decent starter

Jordan Love - the classic “potential” guy. He has the “potential” to develop into a player of deshauns caliber but his level of play is more of that of a present day Teddy Bridgewater

RGV82

Random guy
I mean I think he’s already proven to not be a bust. The man is 24 years old and aside from Lamar and Mahomes is the best young QB in the league. I just don’t see how you ask for much more. It’s like fans have forgotten the entire existence of our organization without a bonafide QB. We’ve been waiting for deshaun to come around and now that we have him we think we can get better. Or we want a 42 year old Brady. Just doesn’t even make sense to me.

Deshaun has never had a complete team. And he’s always had OB. Either he hasn’t had the weapons, no OL, and now no defense or coaching. Give the kid a complete team and half assed decent coaching and we’re fine
Yup. Agreed.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

51-7 but you don’t take into account that because of boneheaded decisions by OB and poor special teams we basically gifted them 14 points. They had the ball in their red zone twice because of special teams plays or turnovers. The defense was atrocious. They went into the season thinking JJo could hold up as a #1. They were wrong. We lost Gipson and Addae and had Lonnie Johnson covering Kelce. Lonnie May one day develop and be a decent player, but he’s in over his head. He committed a gross amount of penalties and couldn’t matchup with Kelce to save his life. Deshaun threw for 300 yards, 3 TDs, and 0 picks. You get tytus back, upgrade the interior of the OL, and build around Tunsil, Scharping, and Howard.

Regardless, nobody in this draft class is even remotely close to Deshaun. Not even Joe Burrow. Burrow had the coaching, scheme, and weapons to be great at LSU. He was throwing to 2 first round WR’s and Randy Moss’s son at TE with arguably the greatest collegiate offensive mind in the game.

Tua had damn near 3 first round WR’s, another future top 60 pick, multiple first and second rounders on the OL, and a top 60 pick at RB, so let’s rule him out.

Jordan Love - the classic “potential” guy. He has the “potential” to develop into a player of deshauns caliber but his level of play is more of that of a present day Teddy Bridgewater
save your breath dude. that boomer thinks that Josh Allen was a better QB than Watson and has "progressed" more.

Talk to the wall next to you. You'll get more charisma and discussion.

281Texan

Waterboy
save your breath dude. that boomer thinks that Josh Allen was a better QB than Watson and has "progressed" more.

Talk to the wall next to you. You'll get more charisma and discussion.
Deshaun Watson - 3,852 passing yards 26 TD 12 INT 98.0 rating

Josh Allen - 3,089 yards 20 TDs 9 INT 85.0 Rating

No thanks lol

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Disagree about him being the future, unless you're OK with the part he played in 51-7.

Agreed about the 3 yrs. Unfortunately

I'm not Ok with his part in 51-7. He failed just like the rest of the team.

But one game nor one season makes a career.

I see enough good things out of Watson to think with the right system and coaching , he can be good enough.

You go back to his rookie year , those 7 starts before getting injured - He had the quickest average release time in the league. Today he's probably closer to last than first. WHY ? That's simple - this offense.

Not too long ago we were complaining that Watson couldn't beat the blitz …. Now teams don't blitz him at all.
Why ? Because he was beating it often enough.
Now they almost never blitz , just sit back in a zone …. while Watson waits for someone to come open which doesn't happen with regularity - Hard to be "open" when the offensive scheme allows for one defender to cover 2 targets.
Hard to be open when the defense doesn't have to defend slants or RB screens and doesn't have to worry about the edges of the defense.
So you have Watson back there doing his best impersonation of Brady …. until he has to do his best impersonation of Barry Sanders.

I don't think Watson is the greatest thing since sliced bread (That's Mahomes) but I do think he's potentially good enough to win a championship , assuming he has the right people around him and is in the right scheme.

The narrative that "we don't have the QB" is kinda overblown when you look at some of the QB's who have won it all and Watson being infinitely more talented than quite a few of them. A QB alone doesn't get it done , its a team effort and I don't mean just the 53 that play but from the head coach down to the waterbody.

Lets put the right coach and the right system in place before we say Watson isn't good enough.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
@steelbtexan I love you man and I think you know that. I think it was more of a 41-7 run actually and Watson should shoulder some (maybe a lot) of criticism for that. I can agree with it.

That said, tell me the coaching staff, remainder of the offense, defense, and special teams didnt screw the pooch. It was a collective sh*t storm and the better team won. I think in the pecking order Watson is well beneath other concerns on this team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
@steelbtexan I love you man and I think you know that. I think it was more of a 41-7 run actually and Watson should shoulder some (maybe a lot) of criticism for that. I can agree with it.

That said, tell me the coaching staff, remainder of the offense, defense, and special teams didnt screw the pooch. It was a collective sh*t storm and the better team won. I think in the pecking order Watson is well beneath other concerns on this team.
I want nothing to do with a person/team that 51-7 can let happen to in basicaly 2 1/2 qtrs. Those type people suck and always will. They are either dumba**es or quitters, that goes for BOB/RAC/DW4 etc...

Do you really think adding a CB/Edge/WR etc... can change the mentality of anybody I listed above? If you do you're kidding yourself. IMHO

powda

I want nothing to do with a person/team that 51-7 can let happen to in basicaly 2 1/2 qtrs. Those type people suck and always will. They are either dumba**es or quitters, that goes for BOB/RAC/DW4 etc...

Do you really think adding a CB/Edge/WR etc... can change the mentality of anybody I listed above? If you do you're kidding yourself. IMHO
I think ob needs to be fired. If we fail from there we trim some more fat.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not Ok with his part in 51-7. He failed just like the rest of the team.

But one game nor one season makes a career.

I see enough good things out of Watson to think with the right system and coaching , he can be good enough.

You go back to his rookie year , those 7 starts before getting injured - He had the quickest average release time in the league. Today he's probably closer to last than first. WHY ? That's simple - this offense.

Not too long ago we were complaining that Watson couldn't beat the blitz …. Now teams don't blitz him at all.
Why ? Because he was beating it often enough.
Now they almost never blitz , just sit back in a zone …. while Watson waits for someone to come open which doesn't happen with regularity - Hard to be "open" when the offensive scheme allows for one defender to cover 2 targets.
Hard to be open when the defense doesn't have to defend slants or RB screens and doesn't have to worry about the edges of the defense.
So you have Watson back there doing his best impersonation of Brady …. until he has to do his best impersonation of Barry Sanders.

I don't think Watson is the greatest thing since sliced bread (That's Mahomes) but I do think he's potentially good enough to win a championship , assuming he has the right people around him and is in the right scheme.

The narrative that "we don't have the QB" is kinda overblown when you look at some of the QB's who have won it all and Watson being infinitely more talented than quite a few of them. A QB alone doesn't get it done , its a team effort and I don't mean just the 53 that play but from the head coach down to the waterbody.

Lets put the right coach and the right system in place before we say Watson isn't good enough.
Agreed with most of this post

But 51-7 tells me otherwise.

Regardless of the offense it ain;t gonna happen. Can they win games ? yes Can they win championships? Doubtful

Regardless of the HC, Best we can hope for is McNabb, (Who BTW ran the WC scheme) anyways our opinions dont really matter since we're going to be stuck with 3-5 yrs of this crap anyways.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Jordan Love - the classic “potential” guy. He has the “potential” to develop into a player of
deshauns caliber but his level of play is more of that of a present day Teddy Bridgewater
Love you man

Agree to disagree

51-7 should tell Cal to clean hose (Finally) but it wont.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That I agree with, just not the QB. Let’s give him a real coach and I have full confidence we can win a title or 3
Forget about BOB for a moment, what in the last month of the season makes you think he's an above avg QB? I'm talking about reading defenses/accuracy etc...? Ubless you think he was hurt, which I guess is possible.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Best we can hope for is McNabb
I think his ceiling is significantly higher than McNabb …. The more I analyze his play , the more I see there is to like. Yes , he does miss the occasional open target but they all do.

Watson has great wheels and a very good arm with above average accuracy.

What he has to do is quit thinking he can always escape and make something happen rather than waiting for it to happen. This is coaching. He's being coached to stand in there. You can fix that.

Scheme's are what is holding him back …. 7 in a two or three deep zone with nobody open is going to make damn near every QB look bad.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think another factor in Watson always thinking he had to escape is two years of running for his life behind a paper thin line. His first year the line let him get hit so hard it put him out for a season and then the next he was the most sacked QB in the league. That kind of thing would make any QB gun shy. Yes a fair number of those sacks are on him but we’ve seen other duel threat QBs and the average for his style of play, comparing to Rogers and Wilson, is around 30. Last year his number was double that.

Even this year we only had a few games where the line had both learned to play together and had all starters on the field and in those games we saw Watson trust the line a lot more and try to read the whole field not just one side. When Howard and later Tunsil got hurt and we were patching things together again that’s when I started seeing Watson regress and fall back on bad habits.

pirbroke

Veteran
I feel like I haven’t watched exciting Houston football since the gamblers, so I’m definitely looking forward to the roughnecks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
51-7 should tell Cal to clean hose (Finally) but it wont.
I really can't imagine what BO'b can say... "It wasn't that bad."

I mean what were their goals at the beginning of the season & how is that whupping "close enough" for BO'b to continue as VP of football operations, GM, HC, & OC?

Then again, if he was like, "I told you not to hire Gaine, if I wasn't hamstrung by that dead weight..."

Ok. I answered my own question.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, you're right. It is a joke.
If you like winning championships it isn't a joke.

You're fooling yourself otherwise. It really doesn't matter though because fans are going to be stuck with BOB/DW4 for the next 3-5 yrs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think his ceiling is significantly higher than McNabb …. The more I analyze his play , the more I see there is to like. Yes , he does miss the occasional open target but they all do.

Watson has great wheels and a very good arm with above average accuracy.

What he has to do is quit thinking he can always escape and make something happen rather than waiting for it to happen. This is coaching. He's being coached to stand in there. You can fix that.

Scheme's are what is holding him back …. 7 in a two or three deep zone with nobody open is going to make damn near every QB look bad.
You think DW4's got great accuracy/Anticipation? We must be watching different QB's. The Texans can only hope DW4 becomes as good as McNabb.

Smith was brought in to fix that and it didn't happen. Doubtful it ever will happen.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The more I analyze his play , the more I see there is to like. Yes , he does miss the occasional open target but they all do.
His accuracy is much better than what draftniks would have had us believe. Especially the deep ball. His placement has me scratching my head though.

Semantics, but that's piss poor play calling. The scheme has 5 wides too.

I'm disappointed the ball continues to get snapped with those play calls. I think if our signal caller would call a few timeouts in those situations our play caller might reconsider

banned1976

sleeper mode
This is an article from last July, after Gaine was fired. Someone asked if Cal McNair would be running the Texans the way Jones runs the Cowboys. John answered that question by saying Cal is the furthest thing from Jones.

I’m not a big fan of John McClain but he knows a lot more about the McNair’s than any of us and if he believes BoB has control over personnel, I believe that’s how the “flat” organizational structure is https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/amp/McClain-s-Mailbag-Is-Cal-McNair-another-Jerry-14107889.php

banned1976

sleeper mode
If you like winning championships it isn't a joke.

You're fooling yourself otherwise. It really doesn't matter though because fans are going to be stuck with BOB/DW4 for the next 3-5 yrs.
If BoB wants to move on from Watson, it will happen.

After seeing and hearing the activity (or lack there of) since another horrible playoff beat down, I think the Texans will have a new QB in 2021; probably a statuesque 4th round pocket passer, in the mold of Tom “Terrific” Savage. I think you’re going to get what you want and the rest of us will be “treated” to QB carousel once again. But I won’t be watching that shitshow again.

And that’s the thing. O’Brien hasn’t yet shown a talent to identity quality quarterbacks. Smith orchestrated the Watson trade. Of course he orchestrated the entire core of the team- Hopkins, Watson, Merciless. Smith transformed a horrible defense into a top 5 defense. Now look where we’re at? In just a few years O’Brien has destroyed the defense. No pass rush; can’t cover.

I don’t know why, with all the stupid crap O’Brien has done, you fixate on any little, sometimes real but mostly perceived (by you and a select minority of people who never liked Watson and won’t give him a chance) weakness in Watson’s game. It’s a remarkable blind spot from a guy I consider to be fairly knowledgeable about football.

powda

Breaking news Texans do nothing again...

It feels like this is the game day thread for the off-season.

We'll maybe swap out 1 positional coach. We'll lose a couple of core players in free agency like Reader. We'll replace them with cheaper mid range talent. In the draft we'll wait a long time and then we'll grab some prospects. We'll be leap frogged by another team again and miss out on the guy we wanted most. We'll skip past the best possible prospects more then once in favor of guys with potential who have great character. We'll squander at least 1 pick on a position we dont need (and barely use) like tight end.

Posters here will be upset but in time they'll talk themselves into believing what the team is doing. By June or july more negative posters (like me) will be railed on as usual. "If you don't believe in what the team is doing your not a real fan."

Folks will buy the same tickets and merchandise they always do. This team will do 9-7 or better and again be blown out in the playoffs. Cal will smile at the profits. Next year around this time we'll repeat the cycle.

Our Texans are always the brides maid and never the bride. Our team has always been just 1 or 2 years away and us fans just keep eating it up.

What I'm trying to say is the thread title isnt accurate. It should read:

"Breaking news Texans FANS do nothing again."

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You think DW4's got great accuracy/Anticipation? We must be watching different QB's. The Texans can only hope DW4 becomes as good as McNabb.

Smith was brought in to fix that and it didn't happen. Doubtful it ever will happen.

I didn't say anticipation , I said accuracy …. Pinpoint accurate - NO. But generally good enough. His deep ball is really good.

He doesn't make a whole lot of anticipatory throws - Isn't asked to do so either so we don't know if he can do that or not

I think Watson's ceiling is much higher than McNabb who had the luxury of Andy Reid calling the plays - That's a far cry from the suckitude that is OB.

As for Smith being brought in to fix anything - Seems to me he's done more harm than good when Watson is holding the ball longer than ever.

The one constant in all Watson's failures is O'Brien.

We really can not make a judgement on Watson based upon nothing but OB's offense. Not when he's doing so many good things despite the dismal play calling and scheme.

Watson may not be in the class with Mahomes , Rodgers , Brady , Brees …. but he's talented enough that you can win with him with the right team and staff around him - We don't have that.

281Texan

Waterboy
Forget about BOB for a moment, what in the last month of the season makes you think he's an above avg QB? I'm talking about reading defenses/accuracy etc...? Ubless you think he was hurt, which I guess is possible.
I mean, he finished 7th in QBR this year even with ugly games against Baltimore and a couple others.
He threw for 300 and three TDs with 0 INT’s against the chiefs on the road. He led a huge comeback against a top 5 bills defense, and the intangibles. Give him time, he’s everything you want in a QB. I’m still taking him over every QB coming out this year. Every game fuller was out our offense struggled. We need a consistent downfield threat and better coaching/play calling. Deshauns a unanimous lock as a top 10 QB around the league and he hasn’t even had a coach unlock him yet. His potential is through the roof..

I honestly don’t know what you expect to get that’s better. Cause in the NFL today you have maybe 4 or 5 guys that are better right now and it may not even be that many. In my eyes there isn’t. He’s top 3 next year for me.

I get the whole Blame the QB when things go wrong game but I think this is flat out silly. Not to mention you can trade Deshaun and go and get burrow. But joe burrow doesn’t come with joe Brady and the huge level of talent that was surrounded by him in college. It would not surprise me in the least if he isn’t all he’s cracked up to be.

Trading Deshaun Watson is Russian roulette and you’re risking 1000 to win 10 by trading him hoping for better play from the position

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I think in cals eyes when you win the divison 4 outta 5 years prob should of been 5 straight but Watson got hurt rookie year

billys job is safe

that being said Texans better win the divison in 2020 for job security n all

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think in cals eyes when you win the divison 4 outta 5 years prob should of been 5 straight but Watson got hurt rookie year

billys job is safe

that being said Texans better win the divison in 2020 for job security n all
I agree we shouldn't minimize the accomplishment of winning the division. & 3 AFCCG appearances in the last 6 years says this is not a weak division. We may not be a flashy division, or an exciting division, but we play the game as well as any other team in any other division.

Still, Kubiak got us there & that was 6 years ago. Surely getting past division championships had to be part of the reason of moving on from Kubiak & bringing in Bill O'Brien. & we've yet to do so.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Still, Kubiak got us there & that was 6 years ago. Surely getting past division championships had to be part of the reason of moving on from Kubiak & bringing in Bill O'Brien. & we've yet to do so.
Kubiak never made the AFCCG as a Texan in 7 years, OB hasn't done it in 6

Bugman7star

All Pro
If the Titans win, I hope it impacts Cal's decision about how to handle the coaching staff. All of these former Texans coaches are more successful than OB in a shorter amount of time. Some don't even have the same level of talent.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If the Titans win, I hope it impacts Cal's decision about how to handle the coaching staff. All of these former Texans coaches are more successful than OB in a shorter amount of time. Some don't even have the same level of talent.
Which other former assistant (besides Vrabel) of OB's has succeeded elsewhere?

Wolf

100% Texan
What gets me is sometimes i sit there and think. (Yeah i shouldn't). You have JJ on the line rushing yet drop the CB 10 yards off the line of scrimmage(i might be exaggerating here) which in turn. Allows the qb to get the ball off into that open space long before jj gets 2 steps into his rush.

On a serious note. I wonder what the psychological impact the last playoff meltdown has on the players being we made no changes on coaching. Sure they tell the media that they are behind their coach but deep down that has to be disheartening. It is for me. However at the end of the day it is entertainment and i quit yelling at the TV.

Plus Texans are just a marketing team with a football division

Texans history shows they will ride with their coach until the team needs a full rebuild