Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Breaking News: Texans Do Nothing Again!

TripleTap

Dead Wood
This just in! After the worst blowout in America Football History the Houston Texans sit on their fat asses with a new determination! No, we will not get a Defensive Coordinator living in this millennium! No! We will not bring in an offensive coordinator less stupid, bumbling, unsophisticated, backward, dull-witted, what-me-worry? than that paragon of football knowledge William ”Bill” Buttchin O’Briensky, the clever trick play artiste! Instead, we will find our hands and sit on them once again! As they deserve to be sat on! They are, after all, OUR hands! Yes! And we don’t need no stinkin’ NEW hands to get us beyond the high school football we’ve been playing for the last 6 years! Just wait till next year! We will bury ourselves once again! Onward!

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
This just in! After the worst blowout in America Football History the Houston Texans sit on their fat asses with a new determination! No, we will not get a Defensive Coordinator living in this millennium! No! We will not bring in an offensive coordinator less stupid, bumbling, unsophisticated, backward, dull-witted, what-me-worry? than that paragon of football knowledge William ”Bill” Buttchin O’Briensky, the clever trick play artiste! Instead, we will find our hands and sit on them once again! As they deserve to be sat on! They are, after all, OUR hands! Yes! And we don’t need no stinkin’ NEW hands to get us beyond the high school football we’ve been playing for the last 6 years! Just wait till next year! We will bury ourselves once again! Onward!
Ho, hum...

DanielTx

Veteran
Obs resume has been legit. I don’t think we will let him go. His teams always play tough and we’ve had successful seasons in terms of being in the division. We all don’t agree on his personnel decisions but we just have to ride it out. Our team is headed in the right t direction. We solidified our line and now we will probably do the same with our defense. This team needs to sign some big free agents and draft decent if they want to stay in the division next season. The colts and titans will be strong next season. I would be fine with getting rid of Ob if we could land Josh McDaniels. I don’t want to play the what if game if we bring someone in and our team falls off

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sure , division champs , maybe win the wildcard game …. get trounced in the divisional round is best case scenario for this team.
Small, but it's still an improvement. We beat a quality playoff team in the playoffs. Not a limping shell of a team on its 3rd string qb.

We also had 4 quality wins during the season. We didn't lose back to back games for the first time I can remember.

I think I made it clear, I do not like William James O'Brien (aka Bill O'Brien aka buttchin).

& I'm not trying to blow smoke or shoot rainbows or anything that might make it look like I approve BO'b being employed in the state of Texas any longer.

Just saying, that's the best playoff win this team has ever had.

& that's sad.

txtx

Waterboy
Small, but it's still an improvement. We beat a quality playoff team in the playoffs. Not a limping shell of a team on its 3rd string qb.

We also had 4 quality wins during the season. We didn't lose back to back games for the first time I can remember.

I think I made it clear, I do not like William James O'Brien (aka Bill O'Brien aka buttchin).

& I'm not trying to blow smoke or shoot rainbows or anything that might make it look like I approve BO'b being employed in the state of Texas any longer.

& that's sad.
I'll take either win over Cincy as equal. That 1st half vs Buffalo was disgusting.

On a sort of unrelated note, I find it telling that Andy Reid brought up not criticizing O'Brien's fake punt in the past game PC. Cos he knew everyone was going to attack it. Cos it deserved it.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I had high hopes for O'Brien before this season started.
DW4 should continue to improve as well as OB himself but now, after seeing the way Texans were steamrolled as soon as they gave KC just the slightest sniff, I have no confidence in him.
You look at the good teams and they have good coaches and ours have question marks over them.
Sure KC is a great team with an awesome Offense but to fail to rally the troops showed a lack of championship instinct.
I cannot see any significant changes if the status quo remains the status quo - something fundamental must change and to me it starts at the top and this means a good GM and coaching staff.
You could say that our coaching staff is "good" having won a game in the playoffs, but, the big question is is it enough?
6 years of the same old same old tells me a resounding "NO!"
Very disappointed that nothing significant has happened to revitalize a bloodied fanbase.
Not good enough Cal.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

& that's sad.

The problem For OB is the expectations we have based upon the talent on this roster and particularly the offense - Its Loaded with talent.

My expectations going into the season were 12-4 and a top 2 seed and running roughshod over the division , they have no business losing to Jax , Indy or Ten , that should be half of those 12 wins.

The defense …. is patched together with duct tape and bailing wire. Front 7 is pretty solid , back end is hurting for top tier talent.

After the Chiefs spotted them 24 …. there is no excuse for that offense not doing enough to win against a poor to middling KC defense missing their best player up front , rather , they did next to nothing the rest of the game.
(That's not absolving the defense of their meltdown)

281Texan

Waterboy
Obs resume has been legit. I don’t think we will let him go. His teams always play tough and we’ve had successful seasons in terms of being in the division. We all don’t agree on his personnel decisions but we just have to ride it out. Our team is headed in the right t direction. We solidified our line and now we will probably do the same with our defense. This team needs to sign some big free agents and draft decent if they want to stay in the division next season. The colts and titans will be strong next season. I would be fine with getting rid of Ob if we could land Josh McDaniels. I don’t want to play the what if game if we bring someone in and our team falls off
legit? He won a playoff game against Connor cook and Deshaun gifted him his second. In 7 years. Has not been to afc championship despite the rest of the division going during his tenure.

sign who? With what money? We gotta lock up Cunningham, reader, deshaun, and Tunsil. We give 14 mil to guys like Whitney mercilus because “they embody what it means to be a Texan” ...okay? So are they good or no? And how the hell does he nearly double his previous deal, when he was a good edge rusher? His play has dropped since then. And what draft picks? We have a very late 2, and some bullshit flyer picks for depth. Same goes for next year. Except we don’t have a first or second then

bottom line, this team isn’t getting substantially better. OB mortgaged the future to win this year. And he’ll be even more desperate next year to win if he stays, so you can kiss the 2022 draft goodbye as well if that means getting an inch better this year.

Regardless if he stays or goes we REALLY need a GM to put this Dumbass in his place or the next guys are going to have a serious **** show on their hands and no assets to fix it

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

& that's sad.
It may be, but when you follow up with a loss that is on par with the Bills debacle then literally nothing you did all season matters. That was the kind of loss that exposed everything about your coaching and your team. And the worst part is that "NO ONE WAS SURPRISED." When I felt like the game was over the minute they failed on a fake punt, that speaks more than volumes. It says everything. The franchise is a zombie in the NFL that is going nowhere under OB. Its been that way for at least two years now, and it was that way under Gary Kubiak whose team totally caved in his best regular season at the end of the year, and then followed up going 2-14. The biggest problem with this franchise is ownership and always will be.

nut

Veteran
Obrien's brain caves in under pressure. Unfortunately, that will probably never change. He also has too many duties. He has everything he wants to the point he feels like he has achieved Belichick control. It doesn't appear he is going anywhere so we are probably stuck with him for at least 2 years until the possibility that ownership caves in to the embarrassment of being a national laughingstock.

disaacks3

Staff member
When I felt like the game was over the minute they failed on a fake punt, that speaks more than volumes. It says everything.
The folks in Cleveland think we don't understand their plight...we do. The feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. That fake punt was definitely the shoe drop moment.

Had a Saints buddy texting me when we went up 14...I told him I wouldn't be comfortable at all until it was 30 or more.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

& that's sad.
Ok I'll go with this, well said thunderkyss.
It was an embarrassing finish but that's an offensive juggernaut up there in KC so the problem is on the defensive side of the ball.
I'm not even going to blast RAC because we just didn't have the horses to compete with the Chiefs, and that pass rush vs
the Chiefs Oline looked very slow and ineffective. And obviously Lonnie Anderson was way in over his head vs Kelsy, total mismatch.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Feel bad for all the players who will waste their careers here. Hopefully money is enough for most of them because that's all they'll get, well maybe a massage from Toro or something..
The players are free to go and sign elsewhere. That's their own fault if they choose to stay here.

Andre Johnson was a fool to be that loyal to the Texans and hurt his career by staying here. I had no doubt that Hopkins will do the same. Hopkins was foolish to stay here if you ask me. If I'm Watt, I get the hell out of here as soon as I can.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Ok I'll go with this, well said thunderkyss.
It was an embarrassing finish but that's an offensive juggernaut up there in KC so the problem is on the defensive side of the ball.
I'm not even going to blast RAC because we just didn't have the horses to compete with the Chiefs, and that pass rush vs
the Chiefs Oline looked very slow and ineffective. And obviously Lonnie Anderson was way in over his head vs Kelsy, total mismatch.

We BEAT THE CHIEFS in their house already, so there is literally nothing factual about that post. We were up by 24 points and probably every other team in the playoffs would have won that game and not blown it. The Chiefs were nowhere near the juggernaut on offense this year that they were last season. Their team makes mistakes. They had a ton of drops. Hell last season when they were unstoppable, the Pats defense locked their receivers up for almost the entire first half and totally shut down Travis Kelce.

This same defense contained Henry and the Titans in their own house. The Texans are just a high and low team with no leadership or true identity. They're always vulnerable, and a team like that is a team that most people don't trust. No one picked the Texans to win that game, because of that lack of trust. They easily could have won it.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The folks in Cleveland think we don't understand their plight...we do. The feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. That fake punt was definitely the shoe drop moment.

Had a Saints buddy texting me when we went up 14...I told him I wouldn't be comfortable at all until it was 30 or more.
Well to be fair, we were up by 21, and there was literally still like 10 minutes left in the 1st quarter alone. We were still at the very beginning of the game. Its just that we weren't able to somehow slow down the game and drag out the first half. Hell, Watson and the boys were moving the ball. They completely lost all will to win the game after that play. They never did a single thing for the rest of the half or the rest of the game after that play other than the 2nd half TD. There is no question that play did it. And when you're a player on the sidelines and you see your coach do something that stupid that gives the other team momentum and a TD, its got to be hard to feel like you're going to win that game and overcome everything else.

Reactions: ROO

banned1976

sleeper mode
Can we acknowledge that the Chiefs game final score wasn’t indicative of how that game played out? Had it not been for some early jitters by the Chiefs, the Texans would have lost by more than 20 points. If not for the muffed kick and some early drops by Chief players Texans would have lost by at least 40.

Can’t run this team back knowing that.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Can we acknowledge that the Chiefs game final score wasn’t indicative of how that game played out? Had it not been for some early jitters by the Chiefs, the Texans would have lost by more than 20 points. If not for the muffed kick and some early drops by Chief players Texans would have lost by at least 40.

What are you some fortune teller?

I could say the exact same thing about O'Brien's stupid fake punt call and the Texans stupid fumble on the KR that gave them 14 points immediately.

You don't have a clue what would have happened, and the fact that the Texans beat the Chiefs in their own house earlier in the season pretty much blows this analysis out of the water.

You're claiming that we were pre-disposed to lose this game no matter what. WTF did you even watch it for then?

Good thing the Titans didn't have your mentality. Otherwise, they'd be sitting at home and we'd be talking about the Ravens or the Patriots right now.

DanielTx

Veteran

The Texans were suppose to win that game but Ob played Gipson in a meaningless week 17 game & of course, he gets hurt. He’s not the Brighest head coach but I think Roby did a good job locking down hill & Gipson would have made it much tougher against that flopper Kelce

Bugman7star

All Pro
This is so frustrating. Not only has every other division opponent made it to the AFC championship game since OB was hired, but the Texans are the only active franchise in the NFL that have never even made it that far! Tired of waiting for change. Tired of the silence and hiding from ownership. It's an insult to the fans after all of the support. We deserve to see more effort being made to create a winning culture.

banned1976

sleeper mode

Terribly worded by me.

The only set of numbers I’m looking at is 51-7. When you end your season on the losing end of that score, and you signal to your fan base “yeah, we’re cool with all that” you either don’t care about your fans or you’re completely tone deaf.

Before the KC game, I was feeling that no matter what happened in that game I was proud of what they accomplished. But it never occurred to me they could lose in that manner. Not this team, not in this city, not after beating Buffalo of all teams. Another historical meltdown in Houston. And it appears to have had no impact on ownership.

Honestly, they could go 16-0 next season and I would be wondering in what manner will they fall flat on their faces in the playoffs. In what epic way will they pull the rug out from under the city.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Terribly worded by me.

The only set of numbers I’m looking at is 51-7. When you end your season on the losing end of that score, and you signal to your fan base “yeah, we’re cool with all that” you either don’t care about your fans or you’re completely tone deaf.

Before the KC game, I was feeling that no matter what happened in that game I was proud of what they accomplished. But it never occurred to me they could lose in that manner. Not this team, not in this city, not after beating Buffalo of all teams. Another historical meltdown in Houston. And it appears to have had no impact on ownership.

Honestly, they could go 16-0 next season and I would be wondering in what manner will they fall flat on their faces in the playoffs. In what epic way will they pull the rug out from under the city.
"This team is going in the rìght direction". :hides: :corrosion:

281Texan

Waterboy
"This team is going in the rìght direction". :hides: :corrosion:
I’m mostly worried about him having full personnel control in a critical offseason. If not a new HC, at least get a GM and get some power out of his hands before he royally screws us to irreparable lengths. We’re likely going to lose reader now supposedly too. If we keep mercilus over reader I might strangle cal myself

Porky

Hall of Fame
I heard from a very reliable source that Cal had a meeting with the team, and he's insisting on a new level of accountability.

The guys were really shaken up when he warned them that if they have a meltdown like that again, there will be no stop for ice cream at Dairy Queen on the way home next time.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

I always had sort of a bad taste in my mouth when the Texans went on that winning streak two years ago. I knew that was going to save OB's job when the season was started out so bad, and it likely would have canned him. Sure I wanted to be positive and hope for the best and hope it went somewhere, but we saw all of the same issues down to the end of the season. This year we saw a lot of that too, but the Texans had a few games where they improved on like the NE and the Titans win in Tennessee. In the back of my head I felt like an OB big mistake was around the corner somewhere.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I’m mostly worried about him having full personnel control in a critical offseason. If not a new HC, at least get a GM and get some power out of his hands before he royally screws us to irreparable lengths. We’re likely going to lose reader now supposedly too. If we keep mercilus over reader I might strangle cal myself
I thought they re-upped Mercilus?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I heard from a very reliable source that Cal had a meeting with the team, and he's insisting on a new level of accountability.

The guys were really shaken up when he warned them that if they have a meltdown like that again, there will be no stop for ice cream at Dairy Queen on the way home next time.
I certainly hope that's the case.

TripleTap

Dead Wood
Open msg to McNairs--

What is the point of owning a professional football team if you are not going to actually try to win games and playoffs and, eventually, the big prize?

It is hard to understand how ownership can sit on its hands while this team obviously tanks year after year, and on field performance readily and continuously displays lousy coaching, planning, play design, lack of discipline, poor game management, and a host of other issues all of which point to major changes needed in the oversight, preparation, player acquisition, leadership of the team.

How hard is it to try harder than the Houston Texans and the McNairs try? The owners are going to make plenty of money whether they try to win or not, but I argue that's the best reason to try to win. You are not going to LOSE MONEY if you win more.

Please to fire O'Brien and hire some savvy NFL folk to develop and improve this sad sack of a franchise.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Terribly worded by me.

Yep, well said.

I was fully prepared for them to lose. KC is a great team.

It's HOW they lost that takes the wind out of your sails. Not just another H-town playoff choke, but setting new records in a 100 year old league.

And the way they choked is what ultimately defines the Bill O'Brien era.

At least Marty Schottenheimer made it to some conference championship games. And what gets me is that if the Texan can ever even make it to that game, this ownership will act like they've achieved greatness.

So we've got short-term *blech* with O'Brien, and long-term *blech* with the McNairs.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
You guys, you are missing the point.... we won the AFC South. This is the second year in a row that we have won the south and then been shown up in the playoffs as to NOT truely be the best in the AFCS.

Last season it was the Colts.

This season its the Titans that went further in the playoffs.

Next year, we will win the AFCS and it will be the Jags proving to be the better team.

Then, THEN it will be our turn to show that we are the best team in the AFCS...... its all part of the rebuild process. 2 more years guys and its ours by default!!!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The problem For OB is the expectations we have based upon the talent on this roster and particularly the offense - Its Loaded with talent.

My expectations going into the season were 12-4 and a top 2 seed and running roughshod over the division , they have no business losing to Jax , Indy or Ten , that should be half of those 12 wins.

The defense …. is patched together with duct tape and bailing wire. Front 7 is pretty solid , back end is hurting for top tier talent.

After the Chiefs spotted them 24 …. there is no excuse for that offense not doing enough to win against a poor to middling KC defense missing their best player up front , rather , they did next to nothing the rest of the game.
(That's not absolving the defense of their meltdown)
Talent dont matter when you ain't got the QB.

Not absolving BOB, he should be gone after the K.C. debacle.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Good.
Let him be gone first.
As you had agreed to it.

You got to cut down the poorly-functioned brain first.
It's been telling the whole body to do mediocre things, besides doing bad things on its own.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Terribly worded by me.

If Allen was anywhere as good as Watson, the Bills would have destroyed the Texans.
OB was bailed out in that game by some heroic efforts by his players, and Allen choked.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

We really cant pass judgement on Watson when he's been saddled with OB … that offense is piss poor and then some.
Watson might actually be good enough to get us where we want to go in the right system - I'm not 100% convinced of that but I think the chances are better than 50-50 with the right coach / system.

Obviously we don't have that with OB. That's the first step - If Watson fails with another regime , then we start looking in another direction.

And you may as well face the facts - Watson aint going anywhere in the next several years , you are stuck with him.
They don't have the draft picks to find a better option. They aint trading for a better option.

Its Watson or bust for the next 3 years minimum.