Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

I would've cleaned house as well but under no conditions would Watson be part of the house cleaning. Watson has put up pretty amazing numbers considering the HC/OC hack he's been forced to play under.

I'd scrub the deck clean by bringing in a new staff. I'd let the new staff sit down and study tape, then talk with Watson about the direction of their offense and how he sees himself handling it. Watson has "all" the potential to be a "Franchise QB".....in my book, he's been with the wrong team.
Your post reminded me of employer I had who brought in a "boss" to clean house. 60 days later house was cleaned and she was fired. It was bad for me for a time but I came out okay. 60 days..6 years. Hmm

Wow - this one is pretty bad coming from a Texan fan. Ummm. Man where to begin. Yards per catch?? LOL okay so in your world Odell Beckham Jr is a "game breaker", but yet he's never relevant short of those one or two "wow" catches per game! How about catch %? Drop %? Route completions?

Nuk is one of the best EVER to high point a ball in traffic. Thats not a skill you can teach. Cooks doesnt have it, Fuller doesnt have it, Stills doesnt have it, Cobb doesnt have it.

Julio has it. Megatron had it. Randy had it. - thats about it.

Running real fast by a 2nd or 3rd sting CB and having 3+ yards of separation takes very little skill!! Track stars and super fast WRs are not a new advent in this sport. Its pretty easy to limit what speed can do to you on a football field if you understand defensive concepts. Time to throw % will be off with the new WRs, windows will be MUCH tighter now that there is no ALPHA to make the defense respect you.

Oh nooo the Texans have 4 fast WRs what ever will we do!? DC's are just laughing their asses off right now and breathing a sigh of relief now that Hopkins is gone - they're not MORE concerned LOLLL. Cooks will be bodied by bigger CBs and Fuller will be shaded in a deep cover 2-3. Done! Cover 6 - and all the modern hybrid packages negate speed all the time, but they cant account for skills like sticky hands and ONE ON ONE wins vs CBs. Fuller is weak in his upper body (and lower body obviously) and Cooks is 5'10 (LOL right - more like 5'9 in cleats) and 185 pounds - dude is a runt. If he is the #1 focus of a DC and/or #1 CB its over bro. DCs will probably instruct the safety to tee off on him in hopes they knock him out of the game. Stills showed last year he's a 3rd fiddle even after being gifted the #2 role he couldnt make enough plays to make him a stalwart on this team. Every single WR we have on this team is a BETA - they will not be successful without someone taking the pressure off of them.

Cobb is probably the best WR on this team, and that should be a wake up call to everyone here.

I already know whats going to happen - all the balls that Nuk could get to while Watson was under duress will now become incompletions, they will now become interceptions and #4 will be the one who takes the blame! You can bank on it.

Its a sad day when your own fans are looking for reasons to discredit one of the few TRUE HOF caliber players this franchise has had.

Guys just say you didnt like Hopkins and didnt feel what he brought to the team was positive its easier than saying stuff like "he's never been a game breaker" which by all accounts is crazy when the man is coming off the 3rd consecutive 1st team All Pro season. SMH.

I wonder if I were to start a "JJ Watt is washed up" thread how that would go down?? LOL
It's amazing we ever lost a game.

I see we’re just going to ignore the most important factor. Coaching!

Yes on paper it looks like we’re stacked. But if the coaching doesn’t set these boys up for success. Then we’re only paper champions.

They have to be able to scheme players open consistently.

But he should not. Most teams need more than one super star wide receiver. That is why I am hoping that A group of four WR2 can be better than what we've had the last year or two. Nothing to do with Hopkins ability. No (i) in team. No Hopkins this team. Let's move on.
Last thing, first. Most Texans fans were already licking their wounds from the abysmal Hopkins deal. Then, Billy Oh rips the scab off with another bad trade. Still waiting for the next move by Trader Bill for the apologists to applaud..

O'Brien was the coach of the Texans for 6 of the 7 seasons Hopkins was with the team. Hopkins averaged 160 targets a season during that span. That includes 3 seasons before Watson arrived on Kirby. With Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett, Weeden, Savage, and Osweiler at QB, Hopkins averaged 157 targets/game. Where was this issue then? Who was complaining about an All Pro WR catching passes before now? It's a BS narrative to coverup the truth of the trade. O'Brien didn't like Hopkins "influence" on the team. The Texans are now worse than they were before.

Yes on paper it looks like we’re stacked. But if the coaching doesn’t set these boys up for success. Then we’re only paper champions.

After seeing the offense with WFV what makes you think they cant.

Now imagine if Rick Smith had made these bone-headed moves.

I had been calling for speed to be added to the WR Corps for yrs. (Remember when Walter was WR2 opposite AJ.) I also like an aggressive GM who was willing to fix the LT hole that McNair created. Taking a gamble on a very talented 25 yr old LT is something RS would've never done.

So yes, I'm pretty happy that in 2 offseasons Gaine and then BOB are getting rid of RS guys because I dont think you can win a championship with his guys no matter how talented they are.

Hopefully DW4's next if he doesn't come up big this season.

Last thing, first. Most Texans fans were already licking their wounds from the abysmal Hopkins deal. Then, Billy Oh rips the scab off with another bad trade. Still waiting for the next move by Trader Bill for the apologists to applaud..

O'Brien was the coach of the Texans for 6 of the 7 seasons Hopkins was with the team. Hopkins averaged 160 targets a season during that span. That includes 3 seasons before Watson arrived on Kirby. With Fitz, Hoyer, Mallett, Weeden, Savage, and Osweiler at QB, Hopkins averaged 157 targets/game. Where was this issue then? Who was complaining about an All Pro WR catching passes before now? It's a BS narrative to coverup the truth of the trade. O'Brien didn't like Hopkins "influence" on the team. The Texans are now worse than they were before.

This sums it up.

Who would've been catching passes from O'Brien's hand-selected 3rd rate QB's if Hopkins wasn't there? A lot more opposing DB's I'm certain.

I've always said the raw talent on the field has bailed out O'Brien his entire tenure in Houston, because it sure hasn't been play design. The majority of his plays get broken up or fizzle, and Watson or Hopkins pull rabbits out of their hats to save O'Brien's skin. Multiple times a game.

Hopkins knew this, and sideline reporters confirmed his frustration over it.

This sums it up.

Who would've been catching passes from O'Brien's hand-selected 3rd rate QB's if Hopkins wasn't there? A lot more opposing DB's I'm certain.

I've always said the raw talent on the field has bailed out O'Brien his entire tenure in Houston, because it sure hasn't been play design. The majority of his plays get broken up or fizzle, and Watson or Hopkins pull rabbits out of their hats to save O'Brien's skin. Multiple times a game.

This just shows me how unappreciated Bill Obrien really is. Wasn't for Hopkins handling his business, dude probably would’ve been fired by now.

Last edited:

QFT.

This was not the first time they brought in speed. The last time it didn't work because the HC/OC didn't know how to utilize those guys.

When is the last time they had 3 vet WR's that ran in the 4.3's and I'm not looking at guys like Vyncent Smith.

This sums it up.

Wonder how they're ever going to do without Nuk.

Stop with the loaded questions. They went with speed before and it didn’t pan out. Mainly because they didn’t maximize their skill sets. One being Lamar Miller, a fast back who is best running on the outside. But we used him as a bulldozer back.

Stop with the loaded questions. They went with speed before and it didn’t pan out. Mainly because they didn’t maximize their skill sets. One being Lamar Miller, a fast back who is best running on the outside. But we used him as a bulldozer back.

What loaded questions? The questions you dont like to answer.

The answer is they've never had this type of speed in their WR corps and I'm glad they finally do. The K.C. model works just like the Rams before them and the Redskins before them and the Raiders before them etc.... Finally the Texans have embraced this model for the 1st time in franchise history. For this I say it's about time.

I don't see anyone ignoring O'Brien's coaching. In fact it's been stated repeatedly that most of us do not think he's the right coach for the Texans. Having said that He's not going anywhere and he still has control to shape and change the player roster as he sees fit. So again three choices 1.wait and see how this season with him 100 % in control plays out. 2. Stop watching 3. Female dog about everything we do not agree with.

I doubt number two will be chosen by many. Speaking of which, I need to go do number 2.

I don't see anyone ignoring O'Brien's coaching. In fact it's been stated repeatedly that most of us do not think he's the right coach for the Texans. Having said that He's not going anywhere and he still has control to shape and change the player roster as he sees fit. So again three choices 1.wait and see how this season with him 100 % in control plays out. 2. Stop watching 3. Female dog about everything we do not agree with.

I doubt number two will be chosen by many. Speaking of which, I need to go do number 2.
1. I’ve played this wait and see stuff with Bill O’Brien. We’re talking 6 years and it’s getting worse. Lol
2. I will always watch my home teams no matter what.
3. That dog will continue to hunt every time they make the outlandish type of moves. Hey stop eating those deviled eggs and Easter eggs. You wouldn’t be running to do the number two. We old folks can’t eat like that anymore.

Now is only time Hopkins wanted renegotiate a contract with 3 years remaining after coming off a sub-Hopkins season. I too was dealing with a bad trade but setting that negative to the side, looking only at 2.57 for Cooks that is not looked as bad deal by all. Several former NFL players have said Cooks was good trade.
I've always had issue with only having Hop to pass to;whomever was QB. I complained about RB Miller not being used enough in passing game as I did last year with Duke and for three seasons with our TEs. I have called for Fuller to be cut and or traded for two seasons; also advocated for trade for Stills. We don't know Texans are worse. We just don't. I wished we had a gif of former Yankees manager Casey Stengal rushing umpire, throwing cap on ground, kicking dirt and throwing hissy fit. Some here could use as their signature.

1. I’ve played this wait and see stuff with Bill O’Brien. We’re talking 6 years and it’s getting worse. Lol
2. I will always watch my home teams no matter what.
3. That dog will continue to hunt every time they make the outlandish type of moves. Hey stop eating those deviled eggs and Easter eggs. You wouldn’t be running to do the number two. We old folks can’t eat like that anymore.

Care to explain how they've gotten worse?

The Texans tied their most successful season in franchise history.

Why would anybody have a hero?

My only hero is Jesus Christ.
Not going to bunny trail on a side note however I consider Abraham, Jacob, Joshua, Joseph, Moses, Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Schindler, Medal of Honor awardees, silver star awardees and many others heroes.

Watt was a beacon of health..........until he wasn't. So are you ready to ship him out b/c 3 of the last 4 years he's missed significant time?

Not unless BOB can get at least a 5th rounder and a bag of cheetos for him

(sorry man, i'm not down on any of this... but I scrolled down several posts and noone had made the joke. It literally HAD to be done)

Mike

Your post reminded me of employer I had who brought in a "boss" to clean house. 60 days later house was cleaned and she was fired. It was bad for me for a time but I came out okay. 60 days..6 years. Hmm

OB's had far too long to get his system implemented......it hasn't taken. I think his late season success can be attributed to making his system more user friendly due to his fear of going down with the ship. For whatever reason, he's won a few playoff games but it's the losses and the way he losses those games that take all the positives out of the wins.

I would've only moved Watson if there was a competent GM pulling the strings on such a move. At this juncture, moving Watson wouldn't solve any problems b/c we're not getting a "Franchise QB" in return. If OB the GM had played his cards right, he might've been in a position to cash in on his assets but due to horrible timing, he fritted away solid trade capital. Watson by himself would not be enough to gain the necessary assets in both the 2020 and 2021 NFL Drafts to make this team relevant in regards to a real Super bowl push.

To date, I've seen Watson do things that amazes me, I've seen him do some things that make me cringe but for the most part Watson, in my mind, has the talent that could lead this team to the Super Bowl. I'm much more certain of this than thinking OB, the GM & HC, will be the one building and leading this team to the SB.

The Tunsil trade cost the Texans any chances of replacing Watson, should he be traded or walks away, before 2022. This of course hinges on OB not mortgaging any more of the Texans future draft picks for short (but uncertain) term gains. Texans 2022 NFL Draft has the full set of picks plus an additional RD4.

This is where we disagree

This season should tell the tale. If healthy the talent is around him to be successful.

I'm sure some posters will make more excuses for DW4. (Not you)

I'm a fan of Watson and I see a QB who has improved his game, despite playing in the wrong system and for the wrong OC. I really want to see how Watson would fair in a different system.....preferrably with the Texans and OB out as HC. I know that isn't happening anytime soon so I'd have no issues with moving Watson this season. The problem I have is the knucklehead in charge of making a trade like this happen. If OB were to pull the strings on this trade.....Watson would be gone but what the Texans might receive in return would in no way match his true value.

As any Texans fan has become far too accustomed to......we'll all just have to sit around and hope that OB's moves and coaching changes pan out. I'm not exactly running victory laps but I'll always give the team my support but I'll let them have it both barrels if their moves and drafts wind up backfiring.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Watson and I see a QB who has noticed his game playing in the wrong system and for the wrong OC. I would really like to see how Watson fairs in a different system.....preferrably with OB out and new HC in. I know that isn't happening anytime soon so I'd have no issues with moving Watson this season. The issue I have is the knucklehead in charge of making this trade happen. If OB were to pull the strings on this trade.....Watson would be gone but what we get back in return would in no way match his true value.

As any Texans fan has become far too accustomed to......we'll all just have to sit around and hope that OB's moves and coaching changes pan out. I'm not exactly running victory laps but I'll always give the team my support but I'll let them have it both barrels if those moves wind up backfiring.

Here's the thing at this point we are damned if you do and damned if you don't. You're exactly right on the Tunsil trade. I like the trade and felt it was needed but it locked Watson in as our QB going forward because we either had the capital to replace Watson or to protect him, not both. The trouble is I don't think OB can win with Watson, not because there is anything wrong with Watson but its kind of like serving a perfectly cooked lobster to someone allergic to shellfish. No matter how great it is they can't do anything with it. The biggest issue I have with OB's system is that it requires an exact set and type of player to make it work. It requires that Brady or Manning type of QB that wants to be given 100 options and completely change up the play 3 seconds before the snap, RBs that can bulldoze their way through a brick wall, TEs that are complete jack of all trades, a line that can guarantee a QB at least 3 seconds to throw the ball and then it requires WRs that can change their route pretty much in mid-stride. If it has these parts it works beautifully and is unbeatable but lose any part and you see what we have now. Flashes of greatness followed by flashes from the whole thing blowing up.

At this point people might as well settle in because unless the stars align we aren't going anywhere with OB as HC/GM and Watson as QB. If one of those two things had changed we might have at least seen something different but Texans can't afford to move on from Watson at this time and they are not going to move on from OB for the foreseeable future. I suggest doing what I try to do and look for the silver lining, at least that way it doesn't kill all love for the team and game.

God I miss the XFL already.

For YEARS, most all on this board have wailed about not having a franchise level QB and now want to consider that he should be traded. What sort of insanity is that? What makes anyone think we could just turn around and get another franchise level QB any time soon? Remember how long it took to find this one? If you don't have that QB in this league, you are destined to suck until you do. And don't give me that crap about bad coach or gm so get rid of your franchise QB that thought process is idiotic. With BOB it's like a bad meal, this to shall pass and when it does, you will very much want to have your franchise QB on hand and not be waiting to find one.

Here's the thing at this point we are damned if you do and damned if you don't. You're exactly right on the Tunsil trade. I like the trade and felt it was needed but it locked Watson in as our QB going forward because we either had the capital to replace Watson or to protect him, not both. The trouble is I don't think OB can win with Watson, not because there is anything wrong with Watson but its kind of like serving a perfectly cooked lobster to someone allergic to shellfish. No matter how great it is they can't do anything with it. The biggest issue I have with OB's system is that it requires an exact set and type of player to make it work. It requires that Brady or Manning type of QB that wants to be given 100 options and completely change up the play 3 seconds before the snap, RBs that can bulldoze their way through a brick wall, TEs that are complete jack of all trades, a line that can guarantee a QB at least 3 seconds to throw the ball and then it requires WRs that can change their route pretty much in mid-stride. If it has these parts it works beautifully and is unbeatable but lose any part and you see what we have now. Flashes of greatness followed by flashes from the whole thing blowing up.

At this point people might as well settle in because unless the stars align we aren't going anywhere with OB as HC/GM and Watson as QB. If one of those two things had changed we might have at least seen something different but Texans can't afford to move on from Watson at this time and they are not going to move on from OB for the foreseeable future. I suggest doing what I try to do and look for the silver lining, at least that way it doesn't kill all love for the team and game.

Spot on

I'm really interested in seeing how Stidham does this yr.

If he does well does that mean maybe DW4 just ain't that good and the system is fine,, it's the guy running the system that's the problem?

Or are posters going to take the easy way out and blame BOB?

I think we know the answer to that question for a segment of posters.

For YEARS, most all on this board have wailed about not having a franchise level QB and now want to consider that he should be traded. What sort of insanity is that? What makes anyone think we could just turn around and get another franchise level QB any time soon? Remember how long it took to find this one? If you don't have that QB in this league, you are destined to suck until you do. And don't give me that crap about bad coach or gm so get rid of your franchise QB that thought process is idiotic. With BOB it's like a bad meal, this to shall pass and when it does, you will very much want to have your franchise QB on hand and not be waiting to find one.

Texans fans are pain freaks. They would rather suffer for another 5 years without a franchise quarterback. That is why they're so damned to trade yet another key component to this teams success.

Spot on

If he does well does that mean maybe DW4 just ain't that good and the system is fine,, it's the guy running the system that's the problem?

I seriously doubt that the 100+ QBs that came through here since 2014 were all just too dumb to get O’Brien’s “system.” Hell, Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard. I’m pretty sure it’s this bullshiat system that’s the problem. It’s also not all in the QB, as receivers that played under O’Brien have come out and said that this “game plan per opponent” offense is an absolute mess. The players are thinking too much, trying to not mess up, that they end up running the wrong route.

I’m expecting Stidham to do well because he has Belichick. Not saying he’ll be the next GOAT, but he will probably do well enough for another team to offer NE some early picks, and Stidham a huge contract.

I seriously doubt that the 100+ QBs that came through here since 2014 were all just too dumb to get O’Brien’s “system.” Hell, Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard. I’m pretty sure it’s this bullshiat system that’s the problem. It’s also not all in the QB, as receivers that played under O’Brien have come out and said that this “game plan per opponent” offense is an absolute mess. The players are thinking too much, trying to not mess up, that they end up running the wrong route.

I’m expecting Stidham to do well because he has Belichick. Not saying he’ll be the next GOAT, but he will probably do well enough for another team to offer NE some early picks, and Stidham a huge contract.

Now this is spot on.

Spot on

Too funny. Do you realize that regardless of the subject, you mention Watson more than the people you claim are Watson only or JIC fans?

If a chef copies a great cookbook and can buy his own ingredients that doesn't automatically makes him a great chef. I actually agree with you. It's the guy running the system that is the problem and his name is Bill O'Brien.

I agree but lets take it one more step.....you have to make a decision on who goes.

1. Trade Watson and the Texans enter the 2020 season with McCarron as QB1. McCarron would have to be re-signed at the beginning of the 2021 season since they don't have a true QB2 in this case and lack RD1 and RD2 picks in the 2021 NFL Draft. McCarron and his agent will also know the situation come 2021 so if I were the Texans, I'd come to grips with the fact that McCarron is going to need a big pay raise since other teams could be vying for his services if the Texans make the playoffs and flame out.

2. Fire Bill O'Brien and hire new GM, coaching staff and maybe a mentor to properly educate the McNair Family on how to run an NFL Franchise. There are no immediate answers in this situation b/c OB ensured his position by hiring no coach with prior HC'ing experience that could step in on an interim basis. I do have a crazy idea in this regard b/c it might be the only viable option on short notice. I'd make an offer to June Jones now that he's available. I'd also encourage him to bring his staff since they have a working relationship and know their systems. I'd leave the door open for Jones to retain as many of OB's coaches as needed to fill spots between the staffs. Jones and his crew would be on a 1 year deal. I'd also extend an offer to Bill Polian to arrive asap and essentially run the Texans draft for 2020 unless a solid GM could be found on short notice. Polian would also begin his mentorship of the McNairs. Polian should be available at the right price as well. I'd take a season of Watson playing in Jones system before watching OB for a 7th season.

I agree but lets take it one more step.....you have to make a decision on who goes.

1. Trade Watson and the Texans enter the 2020 season with McCarron as QB1. McCarron would have to be re-signed at the beginning of the 2021 season since they don't have a true QB2 in this case and lack RD1 and RD2 picks in the 2021 NFL Draft. McCarron and his agent will also know the situation come 2021 so if I were the Texans, I'd come to grips with the fact that McCarron is going to need a big pay raise since other teams could be vying for his services if the Texans make the playoffs and flame out.

2. Fire Bill O'Brien and hire new GM, coaching staff and maybe a mentor to properly educate the McNair Family on how to run an NFL Franchise. There are no immediate answers in this situation b/c OB ensured his position by hiring no coach with prior HC'ing experience that could step in on an interim basis. I do have a crazy idea in this regard b/c it might be the only viable option on short notice. I'd make an offer to June Jones now that he's available. I'd also encourage him to bring his staff since they have a working relationship and know their systems. I'd leave the door open for Jones to retain as many of OB's coaches as needed to fill spots between the staffs. Jones and his crew would be on a 1 year deal. I'd also extend an offer to Bill Polian to arrive asap and essentially run the Texans draft for 2020 unless a solid GM could be found on short notice. Polian would also begin his mentorship of the McNairs. Polian should be available at the right price as well. I'd take a season of Watson playing in Jones system before watching OB for a 7th season.

Why do you have to make a decision? You're Cal McNair and the money printing press is still going full steam. You can keep OB and Watson, OB because then you don't have to do any work and Watson because those seats stay filled and those jerseys fly off the shelf.

Spot on

Spot On???

You do realize maverick just said two big things that I thought you disagreed with.
  1. The problems are with BOB's system.
  2. There's nothing wrong with Deshaun Watson.
This whole time, you've been touting the exact opposite.
  1. There's nothing wrong with BOB's system.
  2. Deshaun will never win a SB, regardless of HC.

Back