Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

Miller was never going to really fit the Texans. I'm not sure if it was RS, OB, McNair or some combo of any of the above but OB was never going to use Miller the way he should. Miller was a speed back that if he got open was gone but he wasn't going to make a hole in the defense. The reason Hyde had a banner year is because he is the only type of RB that OB can really use and that's a bulldozer. Honestly what could have helped this offense maybe more than just about anything in the last 2 years was if they had signed Bell. He would have been perfect as that bulldozer that just plows through defenses and moves the chain so Watson wasn't having to throw 40 passes every game. Trouble is Bell was never going to come here.
LeVeon Bell would have been a waste here. He fit the Steelers offense perfectly, making him look better than he is, which shows by his 3.2 YPC last year with the NY Jets. Every player who has stepped into the Steelers RB spot since Bell has been successful. If Bell came here, BOB would have not used him properly either.

I love DHop but as great as he is, he's never been a great game breaker. He's a volume guy who is exceptional at creating space to make a catch, even if closely covered.
I'm my opinion, perhaps the best ever at using his hands to legally push off to get separation.
But his yards per catch was never elite.

For example last year, he was number two overall in receptions, and number four overall receiving yards, but number 77 in yards per catch at 11.9yds/rec.

Last season Cooks was number 35 in yards per catch at 13.9. Ahead of any Texan except Stills, and ahead of both Robert Woods and Cooper Cupp.

In 2018 he had 99 receptions at 15.1 yards per catch and 1496 rec yards on the year.

I'm not saying Cooks is better than Hopkins. I'm saying they are different. The Hopkins trade was monumentally stupid, but Cooks has tremendous value if healthy.

They are definitely two different skillsets.

My big concerns are the concussions, as well as why did Cooks fall out of favor in LA? Last season, he was 4th on the team in targets. That's right, I said FOURTH! Both Woods & Cupp almost doubled Cooks in targets. Also look at their snap percentages.

Cupp 80%
Woods 89%
Cooks 63%

The percentages only factors in the snaps they were available to play, so don't factor in Woods played one more game and Cupp two more. Cooks played well for the rams in 2018, why the big drop off?

I’m not as worried about his stats from last year as I am his health. He was forced out of the lineup because they went two TE a lot because the interior of their OL was decimated. They went big a lot leaving him out. Haven’t read C&Ds report but I know this. Two concussions in two months where neither hit would fall on the violent hit category, and he wasn’t just dazed he was stiff bodied. When your body goes stiff like that and you’re down for a long time that’s a red flag. The consider there were 3 more before those.
Absolutely. His stats last year speak more to how he was used. His concussions are my main concern.

You guys really need to go read CnD's report on the concussions. Not saying its not still a concern but doesn't seem to be any more a concern than any NFL player. As far as his stats go a one year drop off is eye brow raising but all the Rams offense seemed to have dropped off. Again I think it was Geoff seems to be phoning it in since he got paid. Hopkins trade aside, which was stupid, Cooks at 8 million and a 2nd isn't near as bad a deal as some are making it out to be. It very much is a case of trying to dig out of a hole of his own making but it still in and of itself isn't horrible.

LeVeon Bell would have been a waste here. He fit the Steelers offense perfectly, making him look better than he is, which shows by his 3.2 YPC last year with the NY Jets. Every player who has stepped into the Steelers RB spot since Bell has been successful. If Bell came here, BOB would have not used him properly either.

Very true that the Steelers didn't seem to miss Bell. Not sure you can blame Bell for the Jets lack of yards because name anybody that's had success with the Jets in.....well long as I can remember. Even OB would have had a hard time screwing up Bell skill set, give him the ball and tell him to make a hole.

You guys really need to go read CnD's report on the concussions. Not saying its not still a concern but doesn't seem to be any more a concern than any NFL player. As far as his stats go a one year drop off is eye brow raising but all the Rams offense seemed to have dropped off. Again I think it was Geoff seems to be phoning it in since he got paid. Hopkins trade aside, which was stupid, Cooks at 8 million and a 2nd isn't near as bad a deal as some are making it out to be. It very much is a case of trying to dig out of a hole of his own making but it still in and of itself isn't horrible.
I keep saying, which is the 100 percent truth, if he woulda sat back, and looked at the options: A) Pay Hopkins what he wants and draft a RB with the 2nd overall pick, or B) Not pay Hopkins, acquire an overhyped RB, realize you messed up, and give away your 2nd overall pick for Cooks. Anyone in their right mind would choose option A, except for BOB.

Read my previous post. If Cook's drop in production was a result of a "bad" Rams offense, why did Cooper Cupp & Robert Woods get far more targets & snaps? Cupp had the best season of his career, while Woods had a similar good season he had in 2018. It seemed like Cooks was falling out of favor in that offense.

Very true that the Steelers didn't seem to miss Bell. Not sure you can blame Bell for the Jets lack of yards because name anybody that's had success with the Jets in.....well long as I can remember. Even OB would have had a hard time screwing up Bell skill set, give him the ball and tell him to make a hole.
Crowell averaged 4.8 YPC with the Jets in 2018. Bell averaged 3.2 in 2019.

BS. Call it making excuses all you want but this WR core isn’t all that. And on top of that how often do you see an OB designed play designed to get someone open? Not often. This offense just isn’t well developed and it’s not because of Watson.

This is what we're going to find out this yr. There will be open receivers this season.

This is a good thing before they have to pay DW4 35 per yr

Cobb is the Weller/Edelman

Cooks/ WFV are the Moss/Bethel Johnson.

DJ is Micheal and Duke is White.

They are missing Gronk but hopefully Fells and one of the other TE's can become Ben Watson.

Lol

You crack me up man!

Do you type this with a straight face or spitting your coffee all over your computer?

Here I’ll add to your post...

“and O’Brien is the dumbass that was letting the air out of Brady’s balls!”

I would've cleaned house as well but under no conditions would Watson be part of the house cleaning. Watson has put up pretty amazing numbers considering the HC/OC hack he's been forced to play under.

I'd scrub the deck clean by bringing in a new staff. I'd let the new staff sit down and study tape, then talk with Watson about the direction of their offense and how he sees himself handling it. Watson has "all" the potential to be a "Franchise QB".....in my book, he's been with the wrong team.

This is where we disagree

This season should tell the tale. If healthy the talent is around him to be successful.

I'm sure some posters will make more excuses for DW4. (Not you)

Same "type" of weapons, but talent wise they are on a different planet. In theory you could say Tom Brady and Ryan Leaf are the same "type" of weapon as in they are both pocket passers.

How much better is Bethel Johnson/LaFell than Cooks/WFV?

Cobb is as good as Edelman but he's still very good.

How much better is White than Duke?

Now if you want to say DW4'S not in Brady's league I will agree with you.

How much better is Bethel Johnson/LaFell than Cooks/WFV?

Cobb is as good as Edelman but he's still very good.

How much better is White than Duke?

Now if you want to say DW4'S not in Brady's league I will agree with you.

Edelman is much better than Cobb, Brady is much better than DW4, and most importantly, Belichick knows how to coach his players, BOB does not. I think that says enough.

Sure, but we're giving up a 2nd rounder for the 3rd best WR on a bad offensive team.
The stupidity of this trade has been discussed countless times. Read the threads and you will see tons of discussions on this topic.

I keep saying, which is the 100 percent truth, if he woulda sat back, and looked at the options: A) Pay Hopkins what he wants and draft a RB with the 2nd overall pick, or B) Not pay Hopkins, acquire an overhyped RB, realize you messed up, and give away your 2nd overall pick for Cooks. Anyone in their right mind would choose option A, except for BOB.

I wouldn't have paid Hopkins what he wants, dude had 3 years left on his contract, that wasn't a rookie contract, and we have a QB and LT to pay both of which are more important than a WR particularly in this draft class. He wants to show his @$$ and sit out three years then good luck to him. See what team wants him after that. Just like I would have made Clowney play on the tag and ran his @$$ into the ground. Not sure why OB has trouble playing real hardball with players. They want to sit out then so be it, you don't have to pay them when they do and they do it to much then they end up on teams like the Jets and lose millions. Even if they sit out you really aren't any worse off than you were before because if you trade them you still aren't going to have them on the field.

For example last year, he was number two overall in receptions, and number four overall receiving yards, but number 77 in yards per catch at 11.9yds/rec.
Kinda like giving a RB the ball 300 times & he barely cracks 1,000 yards.

Not necessarily a problem with the RB or the WR. In our case, as well as LAR, it's more likely a symptom of poor QB protection.

I wasn’t talking about WR In particular. I was saying there should be multiple players available at 40 that could come in here and start right away and many that would contribute heavily. I’m really really hoping isaiah Wilson could be available and come in and replace Fulton and be an upgrade right away. As well as several of the OL in this draft. Any of the top six RBs would most likely start. Most of the top 7 or 8 CBs and I could see several OLBs that would be an improvement over Scarlett.

don’t be surprised if OB and his new right hand man fall in love with Micheal Pittman. The more I learn about him the more he seems like an OB Easterbee kinda player. He migh not start right away but he would instantly be one of our best red zone targets. He’s a leader, does a lot of work with kids and in his community and practices hard He fits the “good teammate” mold to a T.
Wilson probably wouldn't do so well as an NFL OT, but brought inside, he could be a monster.

I like Pittman. Rather than a WR, his skill set reminds me more of a TE. He will probably still need a year before being truly productive in the NFL.

I love DHop but as great as he is, he's never been a great game breaker. He's a volume guy who is exceptional at creating space to make a catch, even if closely covered.
I'm my opinion, perhaps the best ever at using his hands to legally push off to get separation.
But his yards per catch was never elite.

Last season Cooks was number 35 in yards per catch at 13.9. Ahead of any Texan except Stills, and ahead of both Robert Woods and Cooper Cupp.

In 2018 he had 99 receptions at 15.1 yards per catch and 1496 rec yards on the year.

I'm not saying Cooks is better than Hopkins. I'm saying they are different. The Hopkins trade was monumentally stupid, but Cooks has tremendous value if healthy.

Wow - this one is pretty bad coming from a Texan fan. Ummm. Man where to begin. Yards per catch?? LOL okay so in your world Odell Beckham Jr is a "game breaker", but yet he's never relevant short of those one or two "wow" catches per game! How about catch %? Drop %? Route completions?

Nuk is one of the best EVER to high point a ball in traffic. Thats not a skill you can teach. Cooks doesnt have it, Fuller doesnt have it, Stills doesnt have it, Cobb doesnt have it.

Julio has it. Megatron had it. Randy had it. - thats about it.

Running real fast by a 2nd or 3rd sting CB and having 3+ yards of separation takes very little skill!! Track stars and super fast WRs are not a new advent in this sport. Its pretty easy to limit what speed can do to you on a football field if you understand defensive concepts. Time to throw % will be off with the new WRs, windows will be MUCH tighter now that there is no ALPHA to make the defense respect you.

Oh nooo the Texans have 4 fast WRs what ever will we do!? DC's are just laughing their asses off right now and breathing a sigh of relief now that Hopkins is gone - they're not MORE concerned LOLLL. Cooks will be bodied by bigger CBs and Fuller will be shaded in a deep cover 2-3. Done! Cover 6 - and all the modern hybrid packages negate speed all the time, but they cant account for skills like sticky hands and ONE ON ONE wins vs CBs. Fuller is weak in his upper body (and lower body obviously) and Cooks is 5'10 (LOL right - more like 5'9 in cleats) and 185 pounds - dude is a runt. If he is the #1 focus of a DC and/or #1 CB its over bro. DCs will probably instruct the safety to tee off on him in hopes they knock him out of the game. Stills showed last year he's a 3rd fiddle even after being gifted the #2 role he couldnt make enough plays to make him a stalwart on this team. Every single WR we have on this team is a BETA - they will not be successful without someone taking the pressure off of them.

Cobb is probably the best WR on this team, and that should be a wake up call to everyone here.

I already know whats going to happen - all the balls that Nuk could get to while Watson was under duress will now become incompletions, they will now become interceptions and #4 will be the one who takes the blame! You can bank on it.

Its a sad day when your own fans are looking for reasons to discredit one of the few TRUE HOF caliber players this franchise has had.

Guys just say you didnt like Hopkins and didnt feel what he brought to the team was positive its easier than saying stuff like "he's never been a game breaker" which by all accounts is crazy when the man is coming off the 3rd consecutive 1st team All Pro season. SMH.

I wonder if I were to start a "JJ Watt is washed up" thread how that would go down?? LOL

Brian Billick was a great OC with the Vikings. Once he became the Ravens' HC, he ran one of the worst offenses in NFL history. Saying O'Brien was a good OC for one year with Belichick recommending plays or Brady audibling out of plays is not saying much. You crack me up.

It's almost as if the Head Coach has the responsibility to hire a good OC if he can't do it himself

I guess it would be similar to some posters who will make excuses for O'Brien and blame Watson or even Kelly (you).

What excuses have I made for BOB.

The only thing I've said is the GM's before BOB made the final call on drafting/FA talent (Just like BOB's doing now) and while RS was here the Texans org was dysfunctional. (Which was the truth.)

51-7

Wow - this one is pretty bad coming from a Texan fan. Ummm. Man where to begin. Yards per catch?? LOL okay so in your world Odell Beckham Jr is a "game breaker", but yet he's never relevant short of those one or two "wow" catches per game! How about catch %? Drop %? Route completions?

Nuk is one of the best EVER to high point a ball in traffic. Thats not a skill you can teach. Cooks doesnt have it, Fuller doesnt have it, Stills doesnt have it, Cobb doesnt have it.

Julio has it. Megatron had it. Randy had it. - thats about it.

Running real fast by a 2nd or 3rd sting CB and having 3+ yards of separation takes very little skill!! Track stars and super fast WRs are not a new advent in this sport. Its pretty easy to limit what speed can do to you on a football field if you understand defensive concepts. Time to throw % will be off with the new WRs, windows will be MUCH tighter now that there is no ALPHA to make the defense respect you.

Oh nooo the Texans have 4 fast WRs what ever will we do!? DC's are just laughing their asses off right now and breathing a sigh of relief now that Hopkins is gone - they're not MORE concerned LOLLL. Cooks will be bodied by bigger CBs and Fuller will be shaded in a deep cover 2-3. Done! Cover 6 - and all the modern hybrid packages negate speed all the time, but they cant account for skills like sticky hands and ONE ON ONE wins vs CBs. Fuller is weak in his upper body (and lower body obviously) and Cooks is 5'10 (LOL right - more like 5'9 in cleats) and 185 pounds - dude is a runt. If he is the #1 focus of a DC and/or #1 CB its over bro. DCs will probably instruct the safety to tee off on him in hopes they knock him out of the game. Stills showed last year he's a 3rd fiddle even after being gifted the #2 role he couldnt make enough plays to make him a stalwart on this team. Every single WR we have on this team is a BETA - they will not be successful without someone taking the pressure off of them.

Cobb is probably the best WR on this team, and that should be a wake up call to everyone here.

I already know whats going to happen - all the balls that Nuk could get to while Watson was under duress will now become incompletions, they will now become interceptions and #4 will be the one who takes the blame! You can bank on it.

Its a sad day when your own fans are looking for reasons to discredit one of the few TRUE HOF caliber players this franchise has had.

Guys just say you didnt like Hopkins and didnt feel what he brought to the team was positive its easier than saying stuff like "he's never been a game breaker" which by all accounts is crazy when the man is coming off the 3rd consecutive 1st team All Pro season. SMH.

I wonder if I were to start a "JJ Watt is washed up" thread how that would go down?? LOL

The Chiefs disagree with this post,

And yes Watt is just about washed

Are you trying to infer race into the discussion because if you are then this post was a total fail.

Brian Billick was a great OC with the Vikings. Once he became the Ravens' HC, he ran one of the worst offenses in NFL history. Saying O'Brien was a good OC for one year with Belichick recommending plays or Brady audibling out of plays is not saying much. You crack me up.

Did Billick win a SB and make it to the playoffs many times?

JJ Watt had an 89.6 PFF Grade

Had 21 QB hits, 4 tackles for loss, 24 tackles and 4 sacks in 8 games.

Imagine if he actually had some help so he wasn't triple teamed every game.

But BOB just had to trade Clowney for nothing.

Man you're not very optimistic.

They all stay healthy and 2 0f the 3 re-sign.

DW4 shows he's worth 35 mil per yr and everything turns out great.

Odds of this happening 30%
Possibly. At least you got the be 30% correct. LOL! I think going to be a lot of cap space after this season.

JJ Watt had an 89.6 PFF Grade

Had 21 QB hits, 4 tackles for loss, 24 tackles and 4 sacks in 8 games.

Imagine if he actually had some help so he wasn't triple teamed every game.

But BOB just had to trade Clowney for nothing.

8 games is the biggest stat here.

Clowney BS again

GM's are speaking very loudly about what they think of Clowney's play last yr. His price is dropping like a rock. As Gaftop posted the yr before the Clowney trade that was the time to trade Clowney. I thought he was crazy. Turns out he was right.

he is a wr2 making a bunch of money. That isn't usually a good idea when you don't have a true #1 on the team.
what does it matter how much each wide receiver or any positional player is naking as they have to be with inside the cap and winning is all that matters right?

What point are you trying to make? You throw to the ball to the guy who is open and can catch it. That's the game of football I've known since I was a boy. Were the Niners failures because they fed Jerry Rice so often? Hopkins will get 150 targets on any team he's on.
But he should not. Most teams need more than one super star wide receiver. That is why I am hoping that A group of four WR2 can be better than what we've had the last year or two. Nothing to do with Hopkins ability. No (i) in team. No Hopkins this team. Let's move on.

But he should not. Most teams need more than one super star wide receiver. That is why I am hoping that A group of four WR2 can be better than what we've had the last year or two. Nothing to do with Hopkins ability. No (i) in team. No Hopkins this team. Let's move on.

You think the pro Nuk fans are ever going to be able to do this?

8 games is the biggest stat here.

Clowney BS again

GM's are speaking very loudly about what they think of Clowney's play last yr. His price is dropping like a rock. As Gaftop posted the yr before the Clowney trade that was the time to trade Clowney. I thought he was crazy. Turns out he was right.

GMs are speaking loudly when they immediately call O'Brien whenever they have to dump a terrible contract or pick up a high draft pick

Back