Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bradley Roby Traded to Saints

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Funny, I've always thought the same about you.

I wouldn't blame the Texans for trading Roby even if he were a model citizen. It's dumping him as damaged goods, rather than getting fair market value. The same thing O'Brien did with Clowney. What's changed here?
What was fair market value in your opinion?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Roby was a disruptive force last year, but equally so for our defense as for opposing offenses. Because of repeated extreme disagreements with the defensive coaching staff over coverage philosophies, practices were negatively affected with at least 1 entirely cancelled due to his antics. He was "invited" after 1 incident to stay behind on a road game, with little public explanation. It was this pattern of actions that made him "expendable."
"Extreme disagreements with the defensive coaching staff", huh ? Sounds like another situation on another team except their CB was
even more talented and valuable than Roby was.
I'm talking about Marcus Peters who the Chiefs parted with for a second round pick which was shocker because the all-pro CB was the kind
of ace defensive player that teams sometimes give up multiple first round picks for, e.g., the Bears trading for LB Mack & the Seahawks trading for safety Adams.
Anyway guess Roby was more of a pain in the azz than a lot of us realized ?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
"Extreme disagreements with the defensive coaching staff", huh ? Sounds like another situation on another team except their CB was
even more talented and valuable than Roby was.
I'm talking about Marcus Peters who the Chiefs parted with for a second round pick which was shocker because the all-pro CB was the kind
of ace defensive player that teams sometimes give up multiple first round picks for, e.g., the Bears trading for LB Mack & the Seahawks trading for safety Adams.
Anyway guess Roby was more of a pain in the azz than a lot of us realized ?
This defense could sure use a leader like DeMeco Ryans right now. I fully expect him to get a head coaching job within 2 seasons as defensive coordinator and have as much or more success as Mike Vrabel is currently having with Tennessee.

One of the worst decisions this team made was cutting loose DeMeco due to cap reasons. He brought the best out of Cushing in particular but the man is a born leader. This defense needs someone like that and i’m not sure who will be able to step up and command that type of respect.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
This defense could sure use a leader like DeMeco Ryans right now. I fully expect him to get a head coaching job within 2 seasons as defensive coordinator and have as much or more success as Mike Vrabel is currently having with Tennessee.

One of the worst decisions this team made was cutting loose DeMeco due to cap reasons. He brought the best out of Cushing in particular but the man is a born leader. This defense needs someone like that and i’m not sure who will be able to step up and command that type of respect.
Even though in a Perfect World, Cully would turn out to be the greatest head coach since Vince Lombardi with us winning many Super Bowls and everything, I'd really love to have Demeco come back and be our head coach.

Texian

Hall of Fame
One of the worst decisions this team has made was drafting Amobi Okoye instead Patrick Willis and not moving Demeco Ryans out to OLB his natural position.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Even though in a Perfect World, Cully would turn out to be the greatest head coach since Vince Lombardi with us winning many Super Bowls and everything, I'd really love to have Demeco come back and be our head coach.
Agreed. I hated the timing of Shanahan and Vrabel being with this organization as coaches then moving on for promotions as well. Some people you just know will upgrade your HC position and I believe DeMeco is the next big thing.

I like Culley so far as a positive minded influence for a team in transition. But if you’re always looking to improve your team across the board HC has to be included. And I think DeMeco is gonna be a top name for HC jobs maybe as early as this next offseason. For good reason.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
The 2022 3rd they got for Roby and a 2023 3rd (no conditions) for paying his salary. Or, just a 2022 or even 2023 2nd and call it even.
See I don’t think Roby by himself was valued at a 3rd. And that’s the starting point.

That’s the disagreement.

I don’t think this was a bad deal. I just think it’s more emotion of being on a bad side of a deal people want an overwhelmingly one sided deal in our favor.

After the Tunsil trade, the Clowney trade, and the Hopkins trade who can blame people? (And that’s not including all the draft day trades and misses.)

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Funny, I've always thought the same about you.

I wouldn't blame the Texans for trading Roby even if he were a model citizen. It's dumping him as damaged goods, rather than getting fair market value. The same thing O'Brien did with Clowney. What's changed here?
what do you think fair market value is for Roby?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
A telling point for me is Texans players that have been traded to a man all speak of how they feel they have been rescued. How they now feel like a free man. If the Texans are going for a new culture I think they have achieved it.:sarcasm:
Who, Shaquille Lawson and Roby? Who else? Sorry, but I’m not putting any credence in what Shaq Lawson has to say after his sorry preseason performance. Quite frankly he should be embarrassed. As for Roby, he was disciplined by RAC, a guy that all players said that they loved playing for. If you’ve ever spent time around athletes you’ll quickly realize that there’s a group that feel like nothing is ever their fault. Perhaps, these 2 guys are cut from that cloth

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
what do you think fair market value is for Roby?
The Lions traded Darius Slay to the Eagles last year for a 3rd round and 5th round pick. 3rd round pick seems to be the price for a starting CB, to me.
The 2022 3rd they got for Roby and a 2023 3rd (no conditions) for paying his salary. Or, just a 2022 or even 2023 2nd and call it even.
Prior to learning of the trade result, I had said Roby should return a 3rd round pick. Once it was discovered that the Texans would pay $7 million of his salary, I thought an additional 3rd should be added.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Who, Shaquille Lawson and Roby? Who else? Sorry, but I’m not putting any credence in what Shaq Lawson has to say after his sorry preseason performance. Quite frankly he should be embarrassed. As for Roby, he was disciplined by RAC, a guy that all players said that they loved playing for. If you’ve ever spent time around athletes you’ll quickly realize that there’s a group that feel like nothing is ever their fault. Perhaps, these 2 guys are cut from that cloth
Randal Cobb was the most vocal of all about getting out of Houston.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think there is a possibility that capable corner is Xavien Howard. Time will tell.
If the Texans were to land CB, Howard (Dolphins) and a RD1…..I’m hoping like hail that DB, Hamilton (ND) and DL, Leal (A&M) are on the board when the Texans are picking.

If some unpolished gems are found this season on defense and then the team were to add Howard, Hamilton, and Neal…..it could be a big bump on defense.

I really like the top tier versatility that Hamilton and Leal would bring.

Hamilton is strong enough to play SS and fast enough for FS but has enough of both traits to be tried at CB….the nice thing is he also packs a pop.

Leal has the natural gifts (speed and strength) on the DL to be a disruptive player in the middle or at the outside.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Which is why I would trade up.

With the Texans history in the 3rd Rd, I'm trading up.
Let’s give it a season or 2…..Texans past GM’s truly sucked in their capacity to succeed in the NFL Draft trenches. That slate is clean and Caserio is the new GM up…..hope he keeps his RD3 draft results a clean and productive slate.

OptimisticTexan

…….could be, Culley would be about ready to step down and let those reins go to a former Texan, Demeco Ryans in about 2 years if Caserio was looking for an up and coming HC. Timing….timing….timing, that’s what it would come to.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If the Texans were to land CB, Howard (Dolphins) and a RD1…..I’m hoping like hail that DB, Hamilton (ND) and DL, Leal (A&M) are on the board when the Texans are picking.

If some unpolished gems are found this season on defense and then the team were to add Howard, Hamilton, and Neal…..it could be a big bump on defense.

I really like the top tier versatility that Hamilton and Leal would bring.

Hamilton is strong enough to play SS and fast enough for FS but has enough of both traits to be tried at CB….the nice thing is he also packs a pop.

Leal has the natural gifts (speed and strength) on the DL to be a disruptive player in the middle or at the outside.
Leal and Hamilton both high draft projections. There are other safeties I like available late round 1 early round 2. If we trade 1.1 to NYG or Philly we can get Leal around 10.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Randal Cobb was the most vocal of all about getting out of Houston.
I completely understand his being happy to be gone, given his age and the fact he was traded back to play with Rodgers. Facts are facts too, we aren’t going to be good this year and we are in a rebuild. He said we were like a start up company and I completely understand and agree with him give our current situation

Texian

Hall of Fame
I completely understand his being happy to be gone, given his age and the fact he was traded back to play with Rodgers. Facts are facts too, we aren’t going to be good this year and we are in a rebuild. He said we were like a start up company and I completely understand and agree with him give our current situation
I too understand their happiness but why do each say they've have been rescued and now have their freedom? Uncommon comments from traded players. Most say nothing at all and if they do they thank appreciative of the team, fans and coaches of their previous team.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I too understand their happiness but why do each say they've have been rescued and now have their freedom? Uncommon comments from traded players. Most say nothing at all and if they do they thank appreciative of the team, fans and coaches of their previous team.
They feel rescued because this team is dealing with so much adversity and rebuilding on every front.

Not that hard to understand.

I know it is early in the season but I wonder if he is as happy to go back to GB today as he was when the trade first happened. I know the Saints are one of the better teams in the league but the Packers are supposed to be one of those as well and we see the outcome of todays game.

Also just to relish in it, how good was that bad man Aaron Rodgers today!?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I still only think they win 4-5 games.

But it sure looks good seeing a team play as units and the beginning of a vision.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Leal and Hamilton both high draft projections. There are other safeties I like available late round 1 early round 2. If we trade 1.1 to NYG or Philly we can get Leal around 10.
Give me Howard/Booth/Leal and I'm a very happy camper.

Would definitely settle for Kendrick.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yes. After that 5 TD performance today. If I'm the Saints. I do three things immediately.
1. Get a local super market to give him all the crab legs he wants
2. Hire a limo driver for him
3. Forbid him from using Uber or Lyft
I need to watch at least the highlights. He didn’t pass for 150 yards. How you get 5 TDs with 150 yards passing?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Give me Howard/Booth/Leal and I'm a very happy camper.

Would definitely settle for Kendrick.
I am a fan of Stingley but he needs to crank it up soon. Also like booth and Leal. Dolphins survived on a fumble by Damien Harris but should have lost that game. Tua tag only looked average at best. I'm still thinking Dolphins will end up with Watson even if after this season. If X Howard is part of the package that would be huge allowing us to use a pic to bring in either Stingley or Booth. This would be a great draft to strengthen our defense.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Can't wait to see how they got creative enough to give an extension to Lattimore while we ate money to help them accommodate Roby.

Lattimore was given a roster bonus upfront 9.8 million. It is prorated over five years but 2022 through 2025 the contract is voided. His prorated roster bonus continues until capped out. The cap hit for 2021 is just under three million dollars. I hope this is helpful?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am a fan of Stingley but he needs to crank it up soon. Also like booth and Leal. Dolphins survived on a fumble by Damien Harris but should have lost that game. Tua tag only looked average at best. I'm still thinking Dolphins will end up with Watson even if after this season. If X Howard is part of the package that would be huge allowing us to use a pic to bring in either Stingley or Booth. This would be a great draft to strengthen our defense.
If the 3rd sring QB doesn't end up in jail, this is what I hope happens.

I'm really not all that jazzed about the 2022 QB class. I do like Strong though.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If the 3rd sring QB doesn't end up in jail, this is what I hope happens.

I'm really not all that jazzed about the 2022 QB class. I do like Strong though.
Watching strong but if he does as well as we think it will take a Higher round one to get him. I'm thinking Desmond Ridder could be had with a late round one at most. Hopefully we do not have to get a quarterback as I am projectingTyrod Taylor to remain healthy and be our starter for 2022.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watching strong but if he does as well as we think it will take a Higher round one to get him. I'm thinking Desmond Ridder could be had with a late round one at most. Hopefully we do not have to get a quarterback as I am projectingTyrod Taylor to remain healthy and be our starter for 2022.
I would be more than pleased if Caserio sat out the 2022 QB market.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Lattimore was given a roster bonus upfront 9.8 million. It is prorated over five years but 2022 through 2025 the contract is voided. His prorated roster bonus continues until capped out. The cap hit for 2021 is just under three million dollars. I hope this is helpful?
I think it was more to the point that the Texans “had” to eat $7M of Roby’s contract because the Saints were out of contract options to free up money.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
…….could be, Culley would be about ready to step down and let those reins go to a former Texan, Demeco Ryans in about 2 years if Caserio was looking for an up and coming HC. Timing….timing….timing, that’s what it would come to.
It will be someone off the NE tree like McDaniels or Mayo