Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bradley Roby Traded to Saints

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Weird we haven’t heard the compensation yet. It makes me think they are deciding how much salary the Texans carry in exchange for what draft pick they receive in return. Like the Cobb trade but with what should be better compensation.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I think the Texans will pay a portion of his salary and they’ll receive a 4th round pick.
I doubt that the Texans will get much in compensation.

Doesn't mean they lose out on the trade.

It's just a matter of dumping a contract since 2021 is a losing season.

Roby is a decent CB who seems to begin to learn what it takes at the position.
(To tackle better, to be better as a run defender from the outside, something he sorely lacked as a Broncos.)

O'Brien overpaid for him the first year, especially when he missed 6 games.

Last year, when he began to earn his keep on the new contract, he lost another six games. (The Texans still lost because of his not being on the field).

This is just a contract dumping situation at roughly fair market value.
I wouldn't expect the Texans to receive much as compensation.
(Though I could be wrong.)

If the Texans get more than a 5th without paying extra dollars, I will give NC some points.
But according to Spotrac, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I doubt that the Texans will get much in compensation.

Doesn't mean they lose out on the trade.

It's just a matter of dumping a contract since 2021 is a losing season.

Roby is a decent CB who seems to begin to learn what it takes at the position.
(To tackle better, to be better as a run defender from the outside, something he sorely lacked as a Broncos.)

O'Brien overpaid for him the first year, especially when he missed 6 games.

Last year, when he began to earn his keep on the new contract, he lost another six games. (The Texans still lost because of his not being on the field).

This is just a contract dumping situation at roughly fair market value.
I wouldn't expect the Texans to receive much as compensation.
(Though I could be wrong.)

If the Texans get more than a 5th without paying extra dollars, I will give NC some points.
The contract dumping of a quality players in their prime and signing over the hill older guys doesn't make sense. Well, it does because Esterbunny is getting rid of everyone who isn't in his culture program. Once the few young guys see the older guys can't perform and the losing mounts, its going to be tune out time.

nut

Veteran
It does smell like an Easterby move. Apparently we aren't even going to try and win games this year. Everybody has been saying Caserio is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He hasn't proven anything yet. Time will tell. Roby was our best cornerback.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The most disappointing aspect of this trade is that Lonnie Johnson has an injury and may not be 100% for weeks.
Sure, you cleared some cap space for a possible new acquisition but Roby was fully familiar with this system.
Yeah , Roby is not worth 3 wins to this team, but without him our secondary is going to be suspect if it wasn't already.
Head scratcher

Texansballer74

The Marine
The contract dumping of a quality players in their prime and signing over the hill older guys doesn't make sense. Well, it does because Esterbunny is getting rid of everyone who isn't in his culture program. Once the few young guys see the older guys can't perform and the losing mounts, its going to be tune out time.
Easterby is not getting rid of anyone. Can we leave that dude out of the equation. Caserio is the GM and he’s the one making these moves.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Easterby is not getting rid of anyone. Can we leave that dude out of the equation. Caserio is the GM and he’s the one making these moves.
I won't say he is 100% not involved. Maybe around 90%. After he was a semi GM last season and many spoke up about his being involved in contracts and stuff.. he probably has a finger or word in at times still

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Caserio just spent a 5th on an injury prone WR with one year left on his deal. Roby has 2 years left on his contract. A 3rd is the minimum Caserio should get back. The Saints like to deal picks almost as much as Caserio. Getting a 3rd back from them should be no problem.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Is it just me or does anybody else think something smells fishy here?

Trade was reported hours and hours before posted by Lucky.

No details given, meaning negotiations still on going.

So far it seems Caserio game plan well known around in a league of sharks, that are now encircling Kirby St.

O’Brian made it too easy, giving up premium talent for pennies on the dollar, now Caserio is attempting to give away what’s left, from a position of weakness. To the point Texan fans won’t see a competitive team for years.

How fun will that be?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
now Caserio is attempting to give away what’s left, from a position of weakness.
How was it "from a position of weakness"? Roby had 2 years left on his deal. Plenty of time to make a trade. And the Texans didn't have to clear Roby's contract to get under the cap. If anything, the Saints were the team at the disadvantage, being in need of a starting CB.

pirbroke

Veteran

So far it seems Caserio game plan well known around in a league of sharks, that are now encircling Kirby St.

O’Brian made it too easy, giving up premium talent for pennies on the dollar, now Caserio is attempting to give away what’s left, from a position of weakness. To the point Texan fans won’t see a competitive team for years.

How fun will that be?
If he goes all out like the Astro’s did, it will be awesome to watch. If he half ass does it like most nfl teams then no. “ if you ain’t first you last”

Nothing wrong with smelling fishy, we just need to know if it’s tilapia or Red Snapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
How was it "from a position of weakness"? Roby had 2 years left on his deal. Plenty of time to make a trade. And the Texans didn't have to clear Roby's contract to get under the cap. If anything, the Saints were the team at the disadvantage, being in need of a starting CB.
Then he should have been able to negotiate a good deal for the Texans. Right? Here looking to be pleasantly surprised…

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Then he should have been able to negotiate a good deal for the Texans. Right? Here looking to be pleasantly surprised…
Just have to define what a good deal means for a player currently on a PED suspension and was considered the best DB on a team of bad DB's.

Former 1st rounder who had 5 good seasons in Denver (7 forced fumbles, 7 interceptions, 60 PD's) but has been inconsistent if not pedestrian in Houston over the last two seasons and missed a total of 12 games.

The value is all going to depend on which DB the Saints think they are going to get.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
The Lions traded Darius Slay to the Eagles last year for a 3rd round and 5th round pick. 3rd round pick seems to be the price for a starting CB, to me.
Considering the state of this team, do you go for multiple lower round picks or try to squeeze one 3rd rounder out of it? And how desperate is NOLA?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Considering the state of this team, do you go for multiple lower round picks or try to squeeze one 3rd rounder out of it? And how desperate is NOLA?
??? That's the mystery here. Are they awaiting the completion of a physical? Who knows?

Number19

Hall of Fame

How fun will that be?
The Saints apparently don't have the cap space to take on Roby's salary. The Texans are apparently going to take on about $8 M of his salary by converting it to a signing bonus. In exchange the Texans may be getting multiple picks which the details have not been released. Breaking news, details about to be released. Stay tuned.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Caserio just spent a 5th on an injury prone WR with one year left on his deal. Roby has 2 years left on his contract. A 3rd is the minimum Caserio should get back. The Saints like to deal picks almost as much as Caserio. Getting a 3rd back from them should be no problem.
You're probably right.
Nick will get a second from the Saints for sure.
And a first to boost.
He'll be able to unload Watson in the process while getting Taysom Hill and his friendly contract (as the Saints had already paid out the bonus.)
The Saints would just get a 6th and 7th back; Nick wouldn't have it any other way. :brando:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The Saints apparently don't have the cap space to take on Roby's salary. The Texans are apparently going to take on about $8 M of his salary by converting it to a signing bonus. In exchange the Texans may be getting multiple picks which the details have not been released. Breaking news, details about to be released. Stay tuned.
So Nick is buying extra draft picks?

Good job, Nick. :bravo:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It does smell like an Easterby move. Apparently we aren't even going to try and win games this year. Everybody has been saying Caserio is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He hasn't proven anything yet. Time will tell. Roby was our best cornerback.
Exactly, the tank is in.

What better time as a franchise is there to tank than now?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A pick swap.

You wanted the tank, and creating cap space. This move helps accomplish what you're wanting and you're still b!tching. SMH

beerlover

Hall of Fame

Caserio is paying for picks, picks that so far in Texan franchise have amounted to less than a blind squirrel finding an acorn. Saints are trying to stay competitive the Texans are not, at least not for a long time and everybody knows it, every front office around the league. Fire sale!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

How fun will that be?
Depends on what they get for the 3rd string QB and how the tank goes. Moves like this one are just adding to the draft pickwar chest. What this is really going to come down to is can Caserio hit on his picks and find the QB of the future.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Caserio is paying for picks, picks that so far in Texan franchise have amounted to less than a blind squirrel finding an acorn. Saints are trying to stay competitive the Texans are not, at least not for a long time and everybody knows it, every front office around the league. Fire sale!
It's a sale. But that doesn't mean what they're selling doesn't retain value.

That's where the Texans are, right now. It's unknown whether the Saints will be able to remain competitive, or if they're spinning their wheels. At some point, they will be where the Texans are. Possibly sooner than they think.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Just have to define what a good deal means for a player currently on a PED suspension and was considered the best DB on a team of bad DB's.

Former 1st rounder who had 5 good seasons in Denver (7 forced fumbles, 7 interceptions, 60 PD's) but has been inconsistent if not pedestrian in Houston over the last two seasons and missed a total of 12 games.

The value is all going to depend on which DB the Saints think they are going to get.
His performance in Houston can be easily explained: The team was a cluster F.

You are right: A good deal is relative.

Since OB isn’t driving this I am sure we are going to get more than a 6th round pick and a shrimp Po Boy.

Saints aren’t dumb and won’t be taken advantage of.

I think we are going to get a good idea of what type of deal Nick can put together.

Texian

Hall of Fame
FWIW dept this is the first move by Caserio that I agree with. Now if eating some of Roby's salary can be parlayed into a 2nd RD pick, Bravo! Good job. I thought this should have been done in January along with the trading of Brandin Cooks and his salary for an additional 2nd RD pick.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What the h are you talking about? That trade for Miller had nothing to do with tanking. Just being stupid.
The trade for Miller isn't going to hurt a damn thing. If it does Caserio should be fired on the spot. Also they didn't trade a 5th for Miller, (This is misleading) they did a pick swap.

My original thoughts stand, they trade their best CB, get cap room and draft picks, that pretty much ensures the tank you're wanting and you're still b!tching. Things like this make you lose credibility.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
FWIW dept this is the first move by Caserio that I agree with. Now if eating some of Roby's salary can be parlayed into a 2nd RD pick, Bravo! Good job. I thought this should have been done in January along with the trading of Brandin Cooks and his salary for an additional 2nd RD pick.
You probably will be getting your wish at the trade deadline.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
It's a sale. But that doesn't mean what they're selling doesn't retain value.

That's where the Texans are, right now. It's unknown whether the Saints will be able to remain competitive, or if they're spinning their wheels. At some point, they will be where the Texans are. Possibly sooner than they think.
Until proven otherwise color me skeptical.

I consider Sean Peyton elite among NFL coaches. As long as he's there he will make them competitive whatever it takes.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

If (and this is a big if) Texans get a decent compensation then Nick did right by playing the waiting game. By waiting Caserio found a team that is needing the trade more than the Texans.

I don’t think it will be as high as a second though. Too good to be true and that stuff doesn’t happen to the Texans.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Anyone and I mean anyone who doesn't fit Caserio System will be expelled in short order -

“ What we’re trying to do is create a foundational culture where we have players who are tough-minded, who are selfless, who are going to work hard every day, and they’re going to compete their ass off. That’s what we’re trying to do.”

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Anyone and I mean anyone who doesn't fit Caserio System will be expelled in short order -

“ What we’re trying to do is create a foundational culture where we have players who are tough-minded, who are selfless, who are going to work hard every day, and they’re going to compete their ass off. That’s what we’re trying to do.”
It's the same fluff we heard from O'Brien and everyone that came before. You know, just get good players and win. Winning is the only thing that matters.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Esterbunny is getting rid of everyone who isn't in his cult
Fixed it for you. :fingergun:

How do you know that? :um:

Easterby is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations for a franchise that has always run its front office as a boardroom, where every executive gets a voice at the table.

And let's not forget that Easterby is also both Cal's and Nick's BFF. Nick wouldn't have the job if not for Jack.

Acting like he's not involved seems like nothing more than wishful thinking, all things considered.