Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

BADBOY's 2019 offseason FA, trade possibilities and draft thoughts

Teams can and do somewhat circumvent that by rolling guarantees. So on signing the signing bonus is paid (considered guaranteed) and 2019 salary of $20 mil is guaranteed. They'll have to deposit the $20 mil. Then on the 3rd day of the 2020 season the 2020 salary of $22 mil becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster. They'll have to get the escrow up to $22 mil. Repeat...

Thanks, so is this what happened with Kirk Cousins? I thought the Vikes had to set aside all of his futures up front. I'm sure the NFL has a formula for this as with everything else.

How does advertising revenue impact said cash flow? Could a new advertiser $ be used to escrow an NFL contract?

Escrow money can come from anywhere.

Thanks, so is this what happened with Kirk Cousins? I thought the Vikes had to set aside all of his futures up front. I'm sure the NFL has a formula for this as with everything else.

Cousins' deal is only 3 years. I think the trade-off they made was shorter but completely guaranteed. They can't tag him either iirc.

I thought about that but don't think NE will pay enough. They have 1.32 + 2.56 + 2.64 and three in third, having said that, it is what Mayock recently said he liked in draft. I'm not sure Gruden would want to go with a rookie when he already has to eat the $27.4 million dead; might keep Carr and allow rookie to snap in. *If Mayock made a deal with PATs, that would offer even better picks for Clowney for us to consider plus having more picks he might be even more of a mindset to move more than I expect. Just my opinion but Carr is worth at least what JD is and would be great in NE offense and would set up PATs for longevity at QB.
edit: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...rs-options-with-qb/1jeoa2id99e6u13k69vikjkgdc

Belichick would never sign off on trading for a guy like Carr. Unless he was desperate. which he's not.

Reactions: JB
A middling pocket passer with limited accuracy

He was coming along pretty nicely under Bill Musgrave. Last season they went back to his rookie OC & his TD% went right back to the same. I'm thinking some of it's on Olsen.

But that stuff isn't what steelb was talking about.

I still see nothing that would have Belichick particularly enamoured.

A middling pocket passer with limited accuracy

He will wilt under the bright lights.

I cant believe other Texans fans cant see, Derek is just like David except Derek has more talent around him.

No, Derek works much harder with less talent imo

David never had as much talent on those Texans teams as Derek has.

Just look at the skill position players on the Raiders and their OL. David never had that much talent. I knew the Texans weren't going to win a championship with David and the Raiders wont win one with Derek. It's not in the Carr genes. I blame Rodger.

David never had as much talent on those Texans teams as Derek has.

Just look at the skill position players on the Raiders and their OL. David never had that much talent. I knew the Texans weren't going to win a championship with David and the Raiders wont win one with Derek. It's not in the Carr genes. I blame Rodger.

I was talking individual talent

One season, multiple seasons, ho hum ... How much time did they waste on Tommy-boy Savage before they gave up?

ESPN reports that Eli Manning expects and is okay with Giants drafting his replacement in this his last contract year. It seems just as likely NY will pick one #17 as #6 and imo seems about 60-40 split among commenters it will be Haskins at #6. I don't see Eli hanging up his shooting iron at 38 with the market for QBs. He's gonna look at some of the recent monster deals and think he can still earn a part of that somewhere. He still claims he found out about the Beckham trade on scroll while watching tv.

If it were I, Seattle would say bye to Wilson and perhaps trade #21 for Rosen. However, I'd start with an offer of a 2020 round two escalating to round one based on incentives. 'hawks could still get a solid CB in round three or four next week. A trade of 1.1 to Giants for #6 + #17 would still get them either Haskins or Murray at 6 and a starter at #17 at another spot.

If it were I, Seattle would say bye to Wilson and perhaps trade #21 for Rosen. However, I'd start with an offer of a 2020 round two escalating to round one based on incentives. 'hawks could still get a solid CB in round three or four next week. A trade of 1.1 to Giants for #6 + #17 would still get them either Haskins or Murray at 6 and a starter at #17 at another spot.
you think you'll get the same production from a rookie that they've gotten from Wilson??
that's nuts

you think you'll get the same production from a rookie that they've gotten from Wilson??
that's nuts
Where did I say that? I don't think they have to get same production to be successful. Oakland had great production from Carr and looked how that turned out. It's also possible they like other QB at 21.

confusing much mixing Seahawks and Cards in same paragraph?

Trying to put together my final pre-draft mock; here are Texans roster players Gaines & O'Brien should have a good idea of how they will do in 2019 that impacts their board:

Cb Aaron Colvin- most focus on the few snaps he got after returning from injury. My concern is his psyche ala Matt Schaub returning from his. Colvin was a highly rated FA option. If team thinks he will have a solid year alongside Joseph and new hire Robey, draft could be only one corner top three picks. I'd still draft three, 1.23 Greedy, 2.55 Love and Donnie Lewis in day three.

Davenport- still think he is better than most do (Steel now posts his diatribe) and if team agrees and thinks RT is Henderson, may not be an OLine player selected until third round. This would be risky but three BPAs end by round two could really strengthen team. It would be even easier if Jonah, Greedy and DIllard were all gone by 23 which is more than possible.

Will Fuller and Coutee- yes we all love them but will they even together play 17-18 games? Is a WR out of question for one of our top three selections?

Foreman- Lamar Miller isn't going anywhere and we'll probably still get approx same from him in his last season but if team thinks Foreman is going to produce a RB can drop to day three or even go with UDFA and then selecting RB in 2020 depending on how Foreman responds. I wished I had better feel for him and currently RB is in my round three projection.

Mercilus: last contract year with no 5th option & I cannot see paying him huge money even if he has great season due to his age. I'd be interested in OLB by end day two like Jaylon Ferguson (needs to drop weight he gained for Combine) or Ximines.

confusing much mixing Seahawks and Cards in same paragraph?
What? Trade WIlson, use #21 for Cards Josh Rosen as most think Cards draft Murray at 1.1. Also there is now talk of Wilson going to Giants for 1.6 +1.17 and 2.37. I'd do that deal and take Haskins at #6 keeping #21. As I posted, if Rosen was target I'd begin negotiations offering a 2020 round two that escalates with incentives.

If Cards do decide to trade Rosen and trade 1.1 to Giants, they could still get Haskins as I said.

Summary: Rosen goes to Seattle for 2020 second or #21. Cards can trade down with other teams and still get good QB even if Giants trade for Russell Wilson. The best thing is another talented QB starter coming into play can impact Texans a lot.

What? Trade WIlson, use #21 for Cards Josh Rosen as most think Cards draft Murray at 1.1. Also there is now talk of Wilson going to Giants for 1.6 +1.17 and 2.37. I'd do that deal and take Haskins at #6 keeping #21. As I posted, if Rosen was target I'd begin negotiations offering a 2020 round two that escalates with incentives.

If Cards do decide to trade Rosen and trade 1.1 to Giants, they could still get Haskins as I said.

Summary: Rosen goes to Seattle for 2020 second or #21. Cards can trade down with other teams and still get good QB even if Giants trade for Russell Wilson. The best thing is another talented QB starter coming into play can impact Texans a lot.

I stand :confused:

Raiders 1.4 1800 + 1.24 740 +1.27 680 =3220

Texans 1.23 760 + 2.54 360 + 2.55 350 + 3.86 160 = 1630

3220 - 1630 = 1590

Oakland would have JD +1.23 and three second rounds.

Texans would have 1.4 1.24 and 1.27. I could see trading down #4 for more picks and still get Jonah. Not sure Mayock does it. If we got 6 and 17 from NYG so they get Haskins at #4.
Texans 1.6 + 1.17+ 1.24 +1.27..dang and Bills #9 and one of their thirds so they could get Oliver at 6. Houston 1.9 1.17 1.24 1.27 and 3.74.

3220 - 1630 = 1590

Texans would have 1.4 1.24 and 1.27. I could see trading down #4 for more picks and still get Jonah. Not sure Mayock does it. If we got 6 and 17 from NYG so they get Haskins at #4.
Texans 1.6 + 1.17+ 1.24 +1.27..dang and Bills #9 and one of their thirds so they could get Oliver at 6. Houston 1.9 1.17 1.24 1.27 and 3.74.

wow

Davenport- still think he is better than most do (Steel now posts his diatribe) and if team agrees and thinks RT is Henderson, may not be an OLine player selected until third round. This would be risky but three BPAs end by round two could really strengthen team. It would be even easier if Jonah, Greedy and DIllard were all gone by 23 which is more than possible.
Are Davenports odds of making the Pro Bowl this year longer than Tigers were to win the Masters ?
So I dunno who you putting your money on, funny things happen sometimes ?

Where did I say that? I don't think they have to get same production to be successful. Oakland had great production from Carr and looked how that turned out. It's also possible they like other QB at 21.
the point of any trade is to make the team better - well at least in my feeble mind - and I just fail to see how dumping a franchise QB helps the Seahawks improve.

moot now anyway. John Schneider got it done.

Are Davenports odds of making the Pro Bowl this year longer than Tigers were to win the Masters ?
Depends on whether about 30 AFC OTs are too injured to play in the game.

An interesting approach to the Draft.

Howie Roseman stresses depth in the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2019, 12:00 PM EDT

Last month Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie identified the Eagles’ approach to the draft as trying to add volume, rather than targeting one elite player at a position of need. Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman is of the same mind.

Roseman said today that he’s all about adding depth in the draft and getting as many players as possible.

“Try to accumulate a lot of good players,” Roseman said. “There are a lot of good players on both sides of the ball.”

Although a franchise quarterback is an obvious exception, and the Eagles don’t regret trading up for Carson Wentz, generally speaking, Roseman said he has made mistakes in the past when targeting one specific player, and he now believes that it’s more about getting several players — perhaps at positions that aren’t needs now, but might be in a year or two.

“I’ve been humbled in the past by some of the mistakes I’ve made,” Roseman said. “We don’t know what we’re going to need a year from now, two years from now, and we’re trying to get long-term players on our team.”

Roseman sounds like he’s more interested in trading down for more picks than in trading up for one specific player. It’s a smart strategy, one that has helped Roseman build one of the NFL’s best rosters.

Last month Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie identified the Eagles’ approach to the draft as trying to add volume, rather than targeting one elite player at a position of need. Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman is of the same mind.

Roseman said today that he’s all about adding depth in the draft and getting as many players as possible.

“Try to accumulate a lot of good players,” Roseman said. “There are a lot of good players on both sides of the ball.”

Although a franchise quarterback is an obvious exception, and the Eagles don’t regret trading up for Carson Wentz, generally speaking, Roseman said he has made mistakes in the past when targeting one specific player, and he now believes that it’s more about getting several players — perhaps at positions that aren’t needs now, but might be in a year or two.

“I’ve been humbled in the past by some of the mistakes I’ve made,” Roseman said. “We don’t know what we’re going to need a year from now, two years from now, and we’re trying to get long-term players on our team.”

Roseman sounds like he’s more interested in trading down for more picks than in trading up for one specific player. It’s a smart strategy, one that has helped Roseman build one of the NFL’s best rosters.
There's a lot to be said for this approach. Good starters and good reserves do better than great starters with lousy backups. A team without glaring weaknesses should certainly draft in keeping with this philosophy.

A team with just a couple of very weak spots that can be covered with one good draft ought to attend to its weaknesses first.

A team like the Texans, with perhaps too many needs to fix with one draft, wants to trade back and cover as many problems as possible, if only fairly well. They should try to make up the difference with personnel trades and FA.

More to the point, neither have to occur for Texans to reach Super Bowl. :texflag:

the point of any trade is to make the team better - well at least in my feeble mind - and I just fail to see how dumping a franchise QB helps the Seahawks improve.

moot now anyway. John Schneider got it done.
he forced the Seahawks into action and secured a deal worth $140 million over four extra years with a $65 million signing bonus, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The deal means Wilson won't be a free agent until after the 2023 season, as it adds four more years to what was the final year of his deal this season.
https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-s...ur-years-140-million-65-guaranteed-130839622/

Puts him just ahead of Aaron Rodgers.

Um, it's a strategy that's been deployed for one draft. The Eagles have taken their 1st pick or traded up the previous 9 drafts. Those 1st round picks are what's built this roster.

Believe that when I see it. Philly needs OG and OT help and already has two picks in second and fourth. I could see him going for players like Scharping and Tytus Howard later but guy like Ford or Lindstrom at #25.

D4T4ophWwAAK5MZ.jpg

Raiders : 1.4 1800 1.24 740 1.27 680 2.35 550 no third round

NYG: 1.6 1600 1.17 950 2.37 530

Bills: 1.9 135 2.40 500 3.74 220

Chiefs: 1.29 640 2.61 292 2.63 276 3.92 132

Eagles: 1.25 720 2.53 370 2.57 330

PATs: 1.32 590 2.56 340 2.64 270 3.73 225 3.97 112 3.101 96

3220 - 1630 = 1590

Texans have their own third and a projected comp that could be traded this year to close any perceived gap. In round three and later I tend to ignore point system and look at it as more of a player.

1.9 OL Jonah Williams 1.17 CB Greedy Williams 1.24 Cody Ford or trade down 1.27 edge rusher Jaylon Ferguson or trade down 3.74 Rb Damien Harris, Benny Snell or Darrell Henderson 5.161 OLB Maxx Crosby 6.195 CB/safety Donnie Lewis 7.220 WR Lil Jordan Humphrey

Texans have their own third and a projected comp that could be traded this year to close any perceived gap. In round three and later I tend to ignore point system and look at it as more of a player.

1.9 OL Jonah Williams 1.17 CB Greedy Williams 1.24 Cody Ford or trade down 1.27 edge rusher Jaylon Ferguson or trade down 3.74 Rb Damien Harris, Benny Snell or Darrell Henderson 5.161 OLB Maxx Crosby 6.195 CB/safety Donnie Lewis 7.220 WR Lil Jordan Humphrey

Texans have no comp picks this year.. don't know where you get this fantasy ramblings unless you're drumk like I usually am

Back