Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

BADBOY college players to watch 2023 draft

Also J. Cephus WR and Z. Franklin WR out of UTSA worth taking a look at. UTSA is having a good showing this season despite being 1-2. They put up good fights versus Texas and Houston. I won’t be surprised if a a few players are drafted from the team.
There have been the last 2 years. I like Franklin a lot. I liked Woolen a lot last year.

Hopefully we get a chance to draft CJ Stroud. Seems Mills ain’t cutting it.
ATL and Seattle trying to give the game to the other. I am rooting for Falcons and they just took the ball back with about 10 left in the 4th quarter and have the lead.

Hopefully we get a chance to draft CJ Stroud. Seems Mills ain’t cutting it.

I'm not a Stroud fan.

I'm hoping they use the draft picks to rebuild and sign FA Jimmy G to a 3 yr deal and draft a QB in the 2024 draft. Williams/Ewers If you want to wait another yr to draft a QB The kids at Clemson (Klubnik) and A&M are supposedly very special QB's.

I'm liking RB Roschon Johnson of Texas... big back (6-2 225) and fast with wiggle. Good hands also

Love Johnson in the 5th. Would like Achane in the 3rd/4th rd range. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Can catch the ball and KR too. Dont know how he is in pass pro, but I haven't noticed that he's bad at it.

Speed/Speed and more Speed please. This guy is Hill fast. The Texans need to add play makers and this is what this guy does. Just splitting him out on 3rd downs creates havoc for a defense.

Sign me up for Achane in the 3rd and Johnson in the 5th. Would be a vastly improved RB room.

I'm liking RB Roschon Johnson of Texas... big back (6-2 225) and fast with wiggle. Good hands also
I would like him as well. Maybe we can get lucky and draft to good players in the 1st.
Right now we are favored to have the second pick overall. 🤣

Love Johnson in the 5th. Would like Achane in the 3rd/4th rd range. He's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Can catch the ball and KR too. Dont know how he is in pass pro, but I haven't noticed that he's bad at it.

Speed/Speed and more Speed please. This guy is Hill fast. The Texans need to add play makers and this is what this guy does. Just splitting him out on 3rd downs creates havoc for a defense.

Sign me up for Achane in the 3rd and Johnson in the 5th. Would be a vastly improved RB room.
Add Anias Smith in the 4th and you really have some speed!

I'd look hard at:

LB- Will Anderson, Alabama
SS/CB- Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M

.....if the Texans remain at 2 picks in RD1.

I'd also be watching LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa closely in RD3 b/c he's a big technical tackle machine. After the Texans first 3 games, getting someone like this should be a priority.

Texans linebackers could look a lot different with Christian Harris (Alabama), Will Anderson (Alabama), and Jack Campbell (Iowa) manning the starting spots. Not to mention, add a SS/CB/NB type with speed in Antonio Johnson to go along with Pitre and Stingley and maybe....just maybe, the defense wouldn't be looking so bad covering backs, TE's, and SWR's.

I wouldn't mind adding either or both later:

DT- PJ Mustipher, Penn St
DE- Ali Gaye, LSU

It's a shame that the OL has failed so miserably that overhaulin 4 out of 5 positions will probably be in the cards. I can only hope that a short Pre Season has played a big part in their ineffectiveness.....if not, there's not enough draft picks in 2023 to get this group cleaned up as well. The Texans must, with upmost priority target a OC. That player for me is OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas. Just keep building to the right if the picks permit but get a Center that can solidify this OL.

Anyone know of any up and coming qbs that might be worth looking at in the 24 draft? I would like to trade back in 23 to get as many pieces we can to help fill multiple positions. Give Davis this season to see if he can improve
I think Caleb Williams out of USC and Quinn Ewers out of Texas might be prospects to keep an eye on.

I'd look hard at:

I'd also be watching LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa closely in RD3 b/c he's a big technical tackle machine. After the Texans first 3 games, getting someone like this should be a priority.

Texans linebackers could look a lot different with Christian Harris (Alabama), Will Anderson (Alabama), and Jack Campbell (Iowa) manning the starting spots. Not to mention, add a SS/CB/NB type with speed in Antonio Johnson to go along with Pitre and Stingley and maybe....just maybe, the defense wouldn't be looking so bad covering backs, TE's, and SWR's.

DE- Ali Gaye, LSU

It's a shame that the OL has failed so miserably that overhaulin 4 out of 5 positions will probably be in the cards. I can only hope that a short Pre Season has played a big part in their ineffectiveness.....if not, there's not enough draft picks in 2023 to get this group cleaned up as well. The Texans must, with upmost priority target a OC. That player for me is OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas. Just keep building to the right if the picks permit but get a Center that can solidify this OL.
I like Stromberg as well. He definitely could help solidify the middle of the line. I really like mauler attitude and football IQ.

I'd look hard at:

DE- Ali Gaye, LSU

Gaye looks better than the way he plays. He has the pure physical tools, but he seems to miss out alot.

Gaye looks better than the way he plays. He has the pure physical tools, but he seems to miss out alot.

I see Gaye as a DE with the desirable raw physical gifts, and if available in RD5 or RD6 might be worth a pick. Good coaching should be able to coax out the upside.

I see Gaye as a DE with the desirable raw physical gifts, and if available in RD5 or RD6 might be worth a pick. Good coaching should be able to coax out the upside.
This is where you draft guys like Gaye. I think he would be a great guy to take a shot on as a developmental guy. He's got skills.

LSU's WR Kayshon Boutte needs to have a sensational game to get back in draft conversations against Auburn Saturday after missing the New Mexico game to be a birth of his child with girlfriend. Congrats to the couple; now go get some Touchdowns!

Man, Will Levis has a nice arm!
As does Jaxson Dart!

Last edited:
Arkansas keeping it close to number two Alabama halfway through second quarter Alabama leads 21 to nothing.

a 5-year Junior this year who will turn 23 the month after the draft. Great stats this year but like most QBs has not played anybody. The last game that you watched was his most significant opponent. If he continues he will definitely get Scouts attention. I did not take the time to look up the University of Washington's schedule which will play a huge part. He is definitely worth watching. He did have a severe injury last year iirc. 6'3 214.

Here is an article I found that might be of interest
Still, he looks interesting.
I'll keep tab of him and throw a few more names into the ring:
Sam Hartman, WF
Jayden Daniels, LSU
Jaylon Daniels, Kansas

Cody Mauch, OL

Good article about a NDSU lineman.

Another story on Cody Mauch:

He's a very interesting prospect. SI has him as possibly the best OG prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft even though he's been playing LT and RT. While Draft Buzz likes him, they have him as an UDFA. That's one heck of an analysis swing. He's a 6-6 @ 303 lb farm boy who's used to hard work and I like those attributes right away. Also, he's a finisher who imposes his will on those in front of him. His stock probably remains low until he gets to showcase in the Bowls, Combine, and his Pro Day.....at that time, he may crawl right into the mid rounds which could be a steal for someone like the Texans. Sure wouldn't mind pairing him C- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas in the draft, or hitting the trifecta by landing RT- Darnell Wright, Tennessee as well.

He's a very interesting prospect. SI has him as possibly the best OG prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft even though he's been playing LT and RT. While Draft Buzz likes him, they have him as an UDFA. That's one heck of an analysis swing. He's a 6-6 @ 303 lb farm boy who's used to hard work and I like those attributes right away. Also, he's a finisher who imposes his will on those in front of him. His stock probably remains low until he gets to showcase in the Bowls, Combine, and his Pro Day.....at that time, he may crawl right into the mid rounds which could be a steal for someone like the Texans. Sure wouldn't mind pairing him C- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas in the draft, or hitting the trifecta by landing RT- Darnell Wright, Tennessee as well.
Yeah SI mentioned sliding him inside because of arm length. I hope he gets invited to the Senior Bowl to see how he performs with other all stars.
If he is this coming years Ali Marpet, I d love to have him as a staple on the line.

Wonder if he's kin to Carl Mauch? Couldn't read the article.

Wonder if he's kin to Carl Mauch? Couldn't read the article.

That was exactly what I was looking for......couldn't wait to add that it woulld be nice to add another Mauch to a Houston OL. Alas....Carl Mauck played for the Oilers and Joe Mauch works in the farming fields.

Also, Cody had his 2 front teeth knocked out playing basketball and decided he could get them replaced when he was done playing football......sounds a bit like the JJ Watt moxey approach to football.

Back