Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Atlanta Falcons @ Houston Texans. 12/4. 12 CT. FOX. **Official GameDay Thread**

I've been telling people that the Texans will be fine because they don't rely on their QB to win them games like a lot of other teams do. Defense, rushing, and a total team effort is the Texans way. The QB is really just complementary... if you can hit a receiver from time to time, you'll be good.

9-3... good time to be a Texans fan!

The NFL and NBC better hope the Saints and Lions game will be good cause this would of made an excellent prime time game

I'm just saying, if Schaub starts I still think this game winds up 17-10. If Leinart starts we lose 10-6

Just IMO

TJ

Since you're making a QB comparison, bascially you're saying that a rookie 3rd string QB - a 5th round pick - in his first NFL start is just as good as Matt Schaub?

I'm just saying, if Schaub starts I still think this game winds up 17-10. If Leinart starts we lose 10-6

Just IMO

TJ

Are you effing kidding me?

At what point do you think Matt Schaub would have been able to avoid somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 sack attempts and extend the play the way Yates did? I was automatically thinking "Well, here comes a sack...HOLY CRAP! he just spin out of that. WTH? Wow."

And he stumbled out form center and regained his balance and hit AJ in stride.

Schaub probably gets sacked 3 or 4 times today had he started. I'm not saying Yates was elite or anything, but he used his feet in ways I haven't seen a QB do in the past 6 years here.

And when Yates throws a ball, it is on a wire. Straight line. Tight spiral. I think he's going to be fine as long as Winston doesn't get him killed.

At what point do you think Matt Schaub would have been able to avoid somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 sack attempts and extend the play the way Yates did? I was automatically thinking "Well, here comes a sack...HOLY CRAP! he just spin out of that. WTH? Wow."

And he stumbled out form center and regained his balance and hit AJ in stride.

Schaub probably gets sacked 3 or 4 times today had he started. I'm not saying Yates was elite or anything, but he used his feet in ways I haven't seen a QB do in the past 6 years here.

And when Yates throws a ball, it is on a wire. Straight line. Tight spiral. I think he's going to be fine as long as Winston doesn't get him killed.

I agree.

Schaub prolly makes more throws. . .maybe. Just because he is a vet, knows a lot and is pretty good.

But it is clear that Yates can do some things that schaub cannot.

I had to go to work this morning just after Dressen's TD was confirmed.

I get to work, manage to sneak on for a minute to hear about Cushing being injured, come back on just now and read about AJ being injured. Not a happy morning till I saw the score.

At least I didn't come on to read about Jake Delhomme's play.

What is the word on Cush?

I had to go to work this morning just after Dressen's TD was confirmed.

I get to work, manage to sneak on for a minute to hear about Cushing being injured, come back on just now and read about AJ being injured. Not a happy morning till I saw the score.

At least I didn't come on to read about Jake Delhomme's play.

What is the word on Cush?

Cush rubbed some hormones on it and game back in.

Yates played very well.

Dunta helped ersase the only big mistake Yates made all day.

Thanks for being a team player Dunta. LOL

Yates played well. I feel he got out of some pressure that Matt did, but I do feel Matt would have made some throws that TJ didn't (not saying couldn't) but as a rookie .. there is some hope.. he just has to learn and continue to evolve

maybe Rick will pay him a lil sumpin sumpin for that screw up
:kitten:

Exactly what I was thinking

I'm really proud of the passion and discipline this defense plays with.

The Texans certianly aren't missing Dunta, or his diva attitude.

This impressed me more than ANYTHING about Yates. The ability to "feel" a rush without even seeing it, ducking out of harm's way, extending the play to not only make a play but to avoid getting killed in the pocket, had me saying "wow" and smiling ear-to-ear.

And that is largely instinctive. It can't be coached up to a significant degree. You either have it or you don't. Most don't. Looks like TJ does.

821ec07d9d71a39b83251b95727e5ebc-getty-134858772.jpg

wow

We are still #1 in AFC right? Even with Ravens at 9-3, we have the best division record at 4-0..

No. The Patriots are the #1 seed in the AFC right now based off Strength of Victory. Division records don't play a factor. Once Baltimore wins they'll move into #1 and the Patriots will be #2.

Actually we might - the Titans play the Saints. If they lose as you can expect and we win, we also clinch the division.

Correct, if we win next week and the Titans lose to NO and then the Texans proceed to lose their last 3 games and the Titans proceed to win their last 3 games, we will win the division on the 3rd tiebreaker, record in common games, we would be 8-4 they would be 7-5.

Assuming this happens it would break out like this

Record: Both 10-6
Head to head: even
Division: Both 4-2
Common opponents: Texans 8-4, Titans 7-5 vs Jackson, Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans.

In fact, I believe that because each team only has each other and common opponents left, it doesn't matter who we beat, our magic number is 2.

Last edited:
If that is the case, how were the Texans the #1 seed last week? The whole thing is confusing.

The reason the Texans were the #1 seed last week was because it was a three-way tie. The Texans "had" the tiebreaker based off conference record over both New England and Baltimore. New England beat Indianapolis this week to tie Houston's 7-2 conference record and take the advantage based off Strength of Victory. New england is the #1 ahead of Baltimore right now based on conference record (7-2 to 6-2). Baltimore has the #2 seed ahead of Houston based off their head-to-head record.

The reason the Texans were the #1 seed last week was because it was a three-way tie. The Texans "had" the tiebreaker based off conference record over both New England and Baltimore. New England beat Indianapolis this week to tie Houston's 7-2 conference record and take the advantage based off Strength of Victory. New england is the #1 ahead of Baltimore right now based on conference record (7-2 to 6-2). Baltimore has the #2 seed ahead of Houston based off their head-to-head record.

Except that the league website has us as the #2 seed....
http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

I like the NFL.com assessment better so I'm going with that.
...this being the league website and all...
:D

That's not showing up for me. Can you please explain why Houston is the #2 seed there?

APR.png

Lowest Winning Seed From AFC Wild-Card Round
NE.png
Patriots 24
(9-3-0) Proj: 1st Seed

APR.png
Highest Winning Seed From AFC Wild-Card Round

HOU.png
Texans 24
(9-3-0) Proj: 2nd Seed

...what do you mean, it's not showing up for you?? I just rechecked it and it's still there.

If it is head to head, then Baltimore would have had the #1 seed last week too. See my point?

NFL.com must be still using the 3-way tie method that was used last week. Technically, using overall record, it IS still a 3-way tie.

Anybody catch the little piece about us during halftime of the Sunday night game?

Talk about love and attention on a national stage.

I really don't care about that stuff but I know a lot of you guys do. And I have to admit it was pretty cool to be put out there like that.

Anybody catch the little piece about us during halftime of the Sunday night game?

I really don't care about that stuff but I know a lot of you guys do. And I have to admit it was pretty cool to be put out there like that.

Damn missed that

If it is head to head, then Baltimore would have had the #1 seed last week too. See my point?

Last week was different because Houston was ahead of both the Patriots & Ravens in conference record. Patriots now have the tiebreaker over Houston based off Strength of Victory. Therefore, because New England has the tiebreaker over Houston, Houston & Baltimore's head-to-head meeting comes into play.

BTW: I'm going off of ESPN not NFL.com. Here's how they have their standings and why:

1. New England - AFC East Champ
(Wins tie break over Houston based on strength of victory. Wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.)
2. Baltimore - AFC North Champ
(Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage. Wins tie break over Houston based on head-to-head win percentage.)
3. Houston - AFC South Champ
4. Denver - AFC West Champ
(Wins tie break over Oakland based on best win percentage in division games.)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Cincinnati - (Wins tie break over Tennessee, Oakland and NY Jets based on best win percentage in conference games)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

APR.png

Lowest Winning Seed From AFC Wild-Card Round
NE.png
Patriots 24
(9-3-0) Proj: 1st Seed

APR.png
Highest Winning Seed From AFC Wild-Card Round

HOU.png
Texans 24
(9-3-0) Proj: 2nd Seed

...what do you mean, it's not showing up for you?? I just rechecked it and it's still there.

Not sure why but that site is showing a blank page for me.

Yeah it was cool. Costas said the Texans played themselves into a Sunday Night game next season. Maybe sooner if we make the SB.

Last week was different because Houston was ahead of both the Patriots & Ravens in conference record. Patriots now have the tiebreaker over Houston based off Strength of Victory. Therefore, because New England has the tiebreaker over Houston, Houston & Baltimore's head-to-head meeting comes into play.

BTW: I'm going off of ESPN not NFL.com. Here's how they have their standings and why:

1. New England - AFC East Champ
(Wins tie break over Houston based on strength of victory. Wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.)
2. Baltimore - AFC North Champ
(Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage. Wins tie break over Houston based on head-to-head win percentage.)
3. Houston - AFC South Champ
4. Denver - AFC West Champ
(Wins tie break over Oakland based on best win percentage in division games.)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Cincinnati - (Wins tie break over Tennessee, Oakland and NY Jets based on best win percentage in conference games)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false

Not sure why but that site is showing a blank page for me.

Maybe you didn't wait long enough. It takes a while to load. When I first checked there, I thought something was wrong with it too. But after a couple of good, long minutes, all the graphics finally showed up.

Maybe you didn't wait long enough. It takes a while to load. When I first checked there, I thought something was wrong with it too. But after a couple of good, long minutes, all the graphics finally showed up.

Yes the NFL page takes forever to load. One of the reasons I don't go there much. The other being I don't wanna be one of their "hits". I'm not over their f'kn lockout yet. :bat:

My understanding is the Head to head only applies if ALL tied teams have played each other. So in the PATs, TEXANs, RAVENs tie, the head to head step is skipped and our in conference record is better than RAVENs.

In a 3 way tie with NE, BAL and HOU, NE & HOU eliminate BAL with better conference records. Then it reverts to a 2 way tie between NE & HOU, which NE wins on strength of victory.

Then it starts over with BAL & HOU where BAL has head to head.

So NE would be #1, BAL #2 and HOU #3.

The loss to the Ravens hurt but having Indy and Jacsonville twice each is killing our strength of victory.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

In a 3 way tie with NE, BAL and HOU, NE & HOU eliminate BAL with better conference records. Then it reverts to a 2 way tie between NE & HOU, which NE wins on strength of victory.

The loss to the Ravens hurt but having Indy and Jacsonville twice each is killing our strength of victory.

I'm afraid that's not right.

It can only go to the two-way tie rules if all three teams have played one another. The Pats aren't on our schedule this year so that cannot happen.

The 3-way rules apply here.

TejasTom quoted the exact verbage.

But what I don't get, is that last week when CBS showed the playoff picture, we were the #1 seed and that was talked about nationally too. Now this week, all 3 top teams win, but we go from #1 to #3??

BCS style....... :kubepalm:

But what I don't get, is that last week when CBS showed the playoff picture, we were the #1 seed and that was talked about nationally too. Now this week, all 3 top teams win, but we go from #1 to #3??

BCS style....... :kubepalm:

that's easy.
CBS was wrong last week and they're wrong again this week.

They keep applying the two way rules. The 2-way rules cannot apply since all three teams haven't (and won't) play each other.

Back