Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are Texans sitting on their hands again?

They have 16 starters becoming free agents in the next 2 years and they have to extend Watson as well.

They are already down to $40 million in capspace left this year (counting only $15m for Clowney, any deal he agrees to will be more), $88 million next year (not counting Clowney or Watson extension), and $112m in 2021 (not counting Clowney or Watson extension).

So please tell me, if we are allocating at least $50 million for Clowney and Watson (might be more), how we can sign Trent Brown for $26 million and keep everyone? $75m for those 3 guys will leave us with only $35m to sign or replace the 16 free agent starters by 2021. You think you can fill 16 starter spots at $2 million each?

Last edited:
They have 16 starters becoming free agents in the next 2 years and they have to extend Watson as well.

They are already down to $40 million in capspace left this year (counting only $15m for Clowney, any deal he agrees to will be more), $88 million next year (not counting Clowney or Watson extension), and $112m in 2021 (not counting Clowney or Watson extension).

So please tell me, if we are allocating at least $50 million for Clowney and Watson (might be more), how we can sign Trent Brown for $26 million and keep everyone? $75m for those 3 guys will leave us with only $35m to sign or replace the 16 free agent starters by 2021. You think you can fill 16 starter spots at $2 million each?

Does the cap go up? Of course it does. If it's such a problem cut Clowney and Watt then maybe they will have some cap room

Does the cap go up? Of course it does. If it's such a problem cut Clowney and Watt then maybe they will have some cap room

We don't know how much or if the cap goes up.

Also just because you cut someone that doesn't necessarily open cap room.

Besides, cutting those guys. Lol.

Watson is under contract for 2 more years and the Texans have a 5th year option.

You're right, but if they treat him like the Colts treated Luck, that 5th year will be under the contract extension. That would be 2021. Luck made $30m his 5th year

Are the Texans just gonna exercise his 5th year option and not sign a contract extension? I doubt it.

Any big multi-year deal for someone like Trent Brown would go through 2021 at least. His just signed contract goes through 2022.

Notice how the Texans are doing a bunch of 1 year deals.

Last edited:
Watson is under contract for 2 more years and the Texans have a 5th year option.

Doesn't his salary jump up in that 5th year? Not astronomical, but a healthy jump nonetheless.

I think. & really has no bearing to the your point.

Doesn't his salary jump up in that 5th year? Not astronomical, but a healthy jump nonetheless.

I dont think that jump compares to a new contract.

I think some money is set aside for negotiating with clowney. Plenty left over to still be active. Frankly, I think kdog is way overboard in his assessment.

I dont think that jump compares to a new contract.

I think some money is set aside for negotiating with clowney. Plenty left over to still be active. Frankly, I think kdog is way overboard in his assessment.

Maybe, but where is my analysis off?

I think they are worried about 2021. They have $112m of capspace but need to extend Clowney and Watson and I'm counting about 16 other starters plus all the draft classes.

Maybe, but where is my analysis off?

I think they are worried about 2021. They have $112m of capspace but need to extend Clowney and Watson and I'm counting about 16 other starters plus all the draft classes.

That's pretty normal at some point for all teams. They all have expiring contracts

Watson was drafted outside the top 10 so his option year for 2021 will be the average of the 3rd thru 25th QB in 2020. His 2020 cap hit is $4.4 mil but almost half is prorated signing bonus which will not apply to 2021. The 2019 transition tag (top 10 averaged) is $22.7 but salaries drop fast after top 10. So yes a sizeable jump. But that's kind of a good thing since players aren't generally pissed at 5th year options. And there are hefty fines for refusing. $30k per day for not reporting and full game checks for not playing preseason.

List the other starters up for contract.

List the vet players between 30 - 35 with big contracts.

List an honest number of draft picks between now and then.

Project a natural cap increase over 2 years.

________

Teams hold big contracts for multiple players and maintain a team all the time. Much ado about nothing.

Keep telling yourself that

The Texans are a team that cashes in on a few star players.

They've not interested in winning, as long as they keep making bank..

Rihanna sing me a tune

________

Teams hold big contracts for multiple players and maintain a team all the time. Much ado about nothing.

Probably sounds like an exercise in futility, but it illustrates the natural progression of any team. Look forward to your answer kdog.

________

2020 Texans FAs:
Mercilus
Miller
Joseph
Griffin
Seantrel
Reader
Dunn
Martin

2021 Texans FAs:
Kelemente
Hal (will he start this year?)
Fuller
Mancz (sometimes starts)
Cunningham
Davenport
Foreman in 2021 also if he takes over for Miller in 2020

Vet players between 30-35 with big contracts:
Watt FA in 2022
Hopkins FA in 2023

# of draft picks:
2019: they own 8
2020-21: they own 14

NFL cap increase:
-2019 cap is currently $191m and the Texans have $75m under contract for 2021 (counting zero for Watson and Clowney.)
-if no change in cap that leaves them with $116m in capspace, but if they sign Clowney and Watson for $50m combined (probably low) that leaves $66m for signing or replacing all the FAs listed above plus draft picks
-the $10m cap increase for 2019 was considered large. Even if the cap increases $20 next two years, that still leaves the Texans with only $83k for all those FAs and draft picks with $20m they can't count on
-$83m for 12 starters is $7m per starter. Of course rookies may take some of those spots.
-if the cap doesn't increase, Watson and Clowney make more than $50m combined, and/or the drafts don't pan out, they'll need some more cap space to replace FAs with more than just replacement level guys

I think this is why they don't want to really break the bank for Clowney and they haven't done something like sign Trent Brown for $26m for 3 years plus keep Matthieu. They'll probably have to give in to Watson's high market value. Guys like Kirk Cousins are already near $30m.

Last edited:
2020 Texans FAs:
Mercilus
Miller
Joseph
Griffin
Seantrel
Reader
Dunn
Martin

2021 Texans FAs:
Kelemente
Hal (will he start this year?)
Fuller
Mancz (sometimes starts)
Cunningham
Davenport
Foreman in 2021 also if he takes over for Miller in 2020

Watt FA in 2022
Hopkins FA in 2023

# of draft picks:

NFL cap increase:
-2019 cap is currently $191m and the Texans have $75m under contract for 2021 (counting zero for Watson and Clowney.
-if no change in cap that leaves them with $116m in capspace, but if they sign Clowney and Watson for $50m combined (probably low) that leaves $66m for signing or replacing all the FAs listed above plus draft picks
-the $10m cap increase for 2019 was considered large. Even if the cap increases $20 next two years, that still leaves the Texans with only $83k for all those FAs and draft picks with $20m they can't count on

Most of the fa's you mention are cut worthy.

The cap WILL increase.

Not sure if you understand yearly salary vs bonus's.

Most of the fa's you mention are cut worthy.

The cap WILL increase.

Not sure if you understand yearly salary vs bonus's.

Ok but if they cut them who will replace them? Are we just assuming rookies or cheap FAs can fill all the cut players? 12 starters in two draft classes (15 picks) is a lot.

I assumed a $10m per year cap increase and it still doesn't look great

I have the cap hits for those players.

Ok but if they cut them who will replace them? Are we just assuming rookies or cheap FAs can fill all the cut players? 12 starters in two draft classes (15 picks) is a lot.

Very few of the guys you mentioned are worthy of meaningful contracts and easily replaceable. Lots will get cut.

You do understand reported salaries and bonuses can be stretched and maneuvered over the course of years.

Watson's potential salary is a concern no doubt 2 years from now. And clowneys salary can be structured to fit our needs just the same.

Not really a big deal.

This is part and parcel for EVERY team. I find it odd that we started free agency with the 4th most cap space in the league and you've convinced yourself we're in cap hell somehow.

I think if you manage your money the way you view our cap you could retire very very early. But you wont. Because you may be cheaper then cal.

Not an insult. Just...fiscally ocd.

Reactions: JB
We don't know how much or if the cap goes up.

Also just because you cut someone that doesn't necessarily open cap room.

Besides, cutting those guys. Lol.

When is the last time it went down?

I'm glad you got my sense of humor.

You're right, but if they treat him like the Colts treated Luck, that 5th year will be under the contract extension. That would be 2021. Luck made $30m his 5th year

Are the Texans just gonna exercise his 5th year option and not sign a contract extension? I doubt it.

Any big multi-year deal for someone like Trent Brown would go through 2021 at least. His just signed contract goes through 2022.

Notice how the Texans are doing a bunch of 1 year deals.

Oh, I notice

I also notice what other teams with franchise QB's are doing.

Somebody needs to be fired if you're right. Which is debatable

Watt FA in 2022
Hopkins FA in 2023

# of draft picks:

NFL cap increase:
-2019 cap is currently $191m and the Texans have $75m under contract for 2021 (counting zero for Watson and Clowney.)
-$83m for 12 starters is $7m per starter. Of course rookies may take some of those spots.
-if the cap doesn't increase, Watson and Clowney make more than $50m combined, and/or the drafts don't pan out, they'll need some more cap space to replace FAs with more than just replacement level guys

I think this is why they don't want to really break the bank for Clowney and they haven't done something like sign Trent Brown for $26m for 3 years plus keep Matthieu. They'll probably have to give in to Watson's high market value. Guys like Kirk Cousins are already near $30m.

At some point all players are either cut or retire and then replaced by a younger player (Rookie or FA). That's just the way it is. Even if Watt plays at a high level until 2022 I can't see a team giving him another contract like he's on now. It will probably only be a one or 2 year cap friendly deal that may be heavily loaded with performance bonuses and that type of thing. Also, there's no guarantee that he will stay in Houston past this contract or that the Texans might trade him between now and then if he has a decline in performance. It's just too far down the road to even speculate what will or will not happen for Watt, D-Hop, or any other player for that matter. Teams in the NFL are constantly turning over their rosters. Most players just don't stay that long on the same team unless they are the Franchise QB (See the Pats).

Also, did the Texans pick up an extra draft pick this year? Thought they only had 7 picks with 2 in the 2nd round but none in the 4th.

At some point all players are either cut or retire and then replaced by a younger player (Rookie or FA). That's just the way it is. Even if Watt plays at a high level until 2022 I can't see a team giving him another contract like he's on now. It will probably only be a one or 2 year cap friendly deal that may be heavily loaded with performance bonuses and that type of thing. Also, there's no guarantee that he will stay in Houston past this contract or that the Texans might trade him between now and then if he has a decline in performance. It's just too far down the road to even speculate what will or will not happen for Watt, D-Hop, or any other player for that matter. Teams in the NFL are constantly turning over their rosters. Most players just don't stay that long on the same team unless they are the Franchise QB (See the Pats).

Also, did the Texans pick up an extra draft pick this year? Thought they only had 7 picks with 2 in the 2nd round but none in the 4th.

Good post. The Texans have 7 picks....had 8 but lost their RD4 in the DT trade with the Broncos.

Very few of the guys you mentioned are worthy of meaningful contracts and easily replaceable. Lots will get cut.

You do understand reported salaries and bonuses can be stretched and maneuvered over the course of years.

Watson's potential salary is a concern no doubt 2 years from now. And clowneys salary can be structured to fit our needs just the same.

Not really a big deal.

This is part and parcel for EVERY team. I find it odd that we started free agency with the 4th most cap space in the league and you've convinced yourself we're in cap hell somehow.

I think if you manage your money the way you view our cap you could retire very very early. But you wont. Because you may be cheaper then cal.

Not an insult. Just...fiscally ocd.

It isn't about guys getting cut, it's guys becoming free agents. So them leaving doesn't save capspace for 2021 because they aren't signed for 2021.

And easily replaced? Maybe. It's not so easy if we sign Trent Brown for $26m and then have only like $5 million per position in free agency to spend. Then we'll look even cheaper in free agency than we do now.

Isn't that what we're complaining about? That we are going cheap in free agency? Well that happens when you don't have capspace over multiple years.

And it's not like there are a bunch of big contracts for bad players we can cut. These FAs are mostly rookie contracts due for raises (especially guys like Fuller or Cunningham) or vets who might get raises too (Mercilus, Kelemente, Miller). I mean Lamm of all people got $7 million.

Of course there are some complete duds like Griffin and Seantrel plus Joseph is old, but they are already on pretty cheap contracts so if we replace them with equally cheap contracts their replacements will suck too.

We can easily let non star vets like Mercilus, Kelemente, Miller and Joseph go and find cheaper replacements. But remember that doesn't clear any cap room for 2021 because they aren't signed for 2021 and people will complain about the cheapness like they are now

And yes they can backload or frontload contracts to move the cap hits around, but didnt Gaine and O'Brien say they didn't want to do that anymore? It's what Rick and kubiak did a lot.i could see them sign some guys by frontloading their cap hits to 2019 and less cap hit for 2021 but I don't think they want to have so much dead money.

Last edited:

They also received a 7th back in the demaryius trade

And yes most teams always have some guys who leave and are replaced with rookies or FAs. My point is the Texans dont appear to be prepared at all for the upcoming batch of FAs with little in the way of rookies or capspace to replace them unless they really nail the next two drafts and find some bargain bin quality vets. But that's what people are complaining about, going cheap

They also received a 7th back in the demaryius trade

And yes most teams always have some guys who leave and are replaced with rookies or FAs. My point is the Texans dont appear to be prepared at all for the upcoming batch of FAs with little in the way of rookies or capspace to replace them unless they really nail the next two drafts and find some bargain bin quality vets. But that's what people are complaining about, going cheap

So what can we (as fans) do about it?

Actually we just switched places with Denver in the 7th. We only have 7 picks total

Yeah that's right for some reason I thought they still had a fourth rounder from elsewhere. But that's not actually good since fourth rounders are cheap and can contribute

Demand obrien gets fired. Ultimately a coach gets fired when the fans have had enough

That's only gonna happen with a terrible season... you want another 2013? That's what it's going to take.

That's only gonna happen with a terrible season... you want another 2013? That's what it's going to take.

I wouldn't want that but it could happen this year. Like steelb has mentioned, Watson could easily get hurt behind this OL. The secondary, RBs, and TEs at this point are also looking pretty weak unless some guys really step up.

And if they trade Clowney or he holds out? Even worse

Last edited:
I wouldn't want that but it could happen this year. Like steelb has mentioned, Watson could easily get hurt behind this OL. The secondary, RBs, and TEs at this point are also looking pretty weak unless some guys really step up.

And if they trade Clowney or he holds out? Even worse

And still there is nothing that (we as fans) can do and every team is i the same boat except maybe the Pat's because of BB

What do you mean every team is in the same boat? Aren't a lot of teams upgrading?

Yes, but 2020 and beyond is as questionable for them as it is the Texans, and coming off an 11-5 season there is no way that fans can change anything short of a disastrous 2-14 type season

Yes, but 2020 and beyond is as questionable for them as it is the Texans, and coming off an 11-5 season there is no way that fans can change anything short of a disastrous 2-14 type season

Maybe so, I mean it's not like teams make massive signings every year in free agency. The Colts for example have been quiet as well.

But then that just means people need to stop whining about the Texans "being cheap." They aren't, it's just a reality of the salary cap that you can't go on a free agent shopping spree every year.

Unfortunately for the Texans in comparison to the Colts, they did not lose a major defensive piece (Matthieu) and also don't have huge OL holes staring at them. Colts ended up better last year and have at least stayed the same while the Texans got worse. They also are not locked in an extended contract fight with ANOTHER major defensive piece (Clowney).

Fixing the OL and secondary holes were never just a thing you can "fix" by signing a bunch of guys for $26 million each. O'Brien actually needs to do his job and find value in the draft, trade, or in the bargain bin. Signing Matthieu for one year on a cheap deal last year is an example of that.

Last edited:
Maybe so, I mean it's not like teams make massive signings every year in free agency. The Colts for example have been quiet as well.

But then that just means people need to stop whining about the Texans "being cheap." They aren't, it's just a reality of the salary cap that you can't go on a free agent shopping spree every year.

Unfortunately for the Texans in comparison to the Colts, they did not lose a major defensive piece (Matthieu) and also don't have huge OL holes staring at them. Colts ended up better last year and have at least stayed the same while the Texans got worse. They also are not locked in an extended contract fight with ANOTHER major defensive piece (Clowney).

Fixing the OL and secondary holes were never just a thing you can "fix" by signing a bunch of guys for $26 million each. O'Brien actually needs to do his job and find value in the draft, trade, or in the bargain bin. Signing Matthieu for one year on a cheap deal last year is an example of that.

I agree and can only hope that things improve by OTA's.. Who are possible cap casualties? We won't know that until the draft correct? Seems like Gaine and OB are more confident in the players they have improving and doing their part... like Hopkins noticing the blitz from the slot and looking for the ball (just one example of player and QB not being on the same page

The driving force behind the Texans "inactivity" is largely related to their perceived value of the players being pursued and overall philosophy of building through the draft over free agency. The players that they have given one-year contracts are players that should be given one-year contracts. BOB and Gaine have both parroted the same build through the draft ideology. Any concerns over the 2021 cap are far secondary to value and philosophy. Still, way more interesting to discuss than the usual and tired BOB totally sucks and the Texans are f'g stupid posting.

Care to tell me the last time the Texans org went on a spending spree?

Dont give me OS.

BTW, You think BOB is the one finding the talent? That shows me you dont know what you're talking about. That's Gaine's job.

Care to tell me the last time the Texans org went on a spending spree?

Dont give me OS.

BTW, You think BOB is the one finding the talent? That shows me you dont know what you're talking about. That's Gaine's job.
Os, Miller, Allen, Berggy.

Os, Miller, Allen, Berggy.

Look at teams like the Rams, that's a spending spree. The Texans did what the Texans do, they replaced Allen for cheaper than they would've had to pay Brooks and avoided having to pay Jones by letting him walk and spending a high draft pick on Martin to replace him. I will give you they paid for Miller.

Spending sprees rarely optimal as many married men can attest. It is the wise who buys for value and thinks of the future. What I want is not necessarily what's best.

What do you want?

What do you want?
Wanted Trent Brown Juwan James and Darby but not those prices. Darby supposedly failed physical but signed for 9.5 anyway as noted in my thread in college / FA thread. This draft can set up our defensive backfield for ten years. Plus bring quality depth other positions. Trading Merci, Clowney and perhaps Miller could add more.

Wanted Trent Brown Juwan James and Darby but not those prices. Darby supposedly failed physical but signed for 9.5 anyway as noted in my thread in college / FA thread. This draft can set up our defensive backfield for ten years. Plus bring quality depth other positions. Trading Merci, Clowney and perhaps Miller could add more.

Why is everyone suddenly so keen on trades? Is there a source I haven't seen causing such discussion?

Miller garners a late round pick. Mercy might yield a mid round pick (3 at best.)

Ideally yes draft picks and select FAs will replace those needing to go. Folks want team to be like Mikey er PATs. Perhaps letting KJack and Mathieu be replaced by Roby and Gypson was just that? Could fail but so could have giving a 3rd for an avg. RT then hoping he could replace the first rounder you picked to replace the older LT who left for more money. Can't be the man until you beat the man. Gaines trying.

Back