Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Because we really didn't NEED a qb until last season.

The Texans never have had a quality QB. If your goal was to just make the playoffs then I guess we didn't NEED a QB, but if goal was to have a realistic chance at the Super Bowl then we have always needed a QB. Again just my opinion.

The Texans never have had a quality QB. If your goal was to just make the playoffs then I guess we didn't NEED a QB, but if goal was to have a realistic chance at the Super Bowl then we have always needed a QB. Again just my opinion.

Meanwhile teams like the Chiefs/Cardinals are trading for Smith/Palmer.

The Eagles/Seahawks are drafting Foles/Wilson/Kaep in the 2nd/3rd rds.
anybody that could identify young QB's.I wish the Texans had
somebody/anybody that could identify young QB's.

Other than Wilson and Kapernick, none of those qbs have accomplished much in the way of championships either.

Have you already thrown in the towel on Savage ? Isn't it a bit too soon to say he's never going to have a future in the NFL ?

That statement is false

Again, after reading post after post after post . . . It's still basically . . .

"I just want Rick Smith fired, for no other reason than it would just make myself feel better."

Jesus. :smiliepalm:

Why are you mentioning these guys? From an age and career production standpoint, Palmer is basically Schaub and Smith is basically Fitz. Neither were known as a successful QB before getting to their respective clubs last year. Palmer wasn't even the starting QB this year and is only playing because of injury.

Why are you mentioning these guys? From an age and career production standpoint, Palmer is basically Schaub and Smith is basically Fitz. Neither were known as a successful QB before getting to their respective clubs last year. Palmer wasn't even the starting QB this year and is only playing because of injury.

What? Carson Palmer has been the clear cut starter in Arizona.

Again, after reading post after post after post . . . It's still basically . . .

"I just want Rick Smith fired, for no other reason than it would just make myself feel better."

How about the fact he doesn't have a good resume in the draft beyond round 1, he back loads contracts putting us in terrible positions if the player gets hurt or regresses enough they need to be cut (Cushing, Schaub, McCain not to mention the countless free agents we over paid to come here). What about all the bad deals he has been a part of? We gave Ryans a deal earlier than we had to only for him to blow out his achilles and then we got rid of, meanwhile he is the Eagles leader and doing well. We let Barwin walk on a friendly deal of 6 years 36 million with only 8 million guaranteed and we still haven't found a replacement for him. We watched Smith (the next best player on defense outside of Watt) walk to Oakland for 2 years 9 mil and only 4 guaranteed. We sat back and watched Brandon Flowers go to San Diego for a 5 year deal with only 3 guaranteed. As much as everyone loves AJ, his contract is so disgustingly backloaded its crazy. He is going to make 46 million over the next couple of seasons and for a guy who is already 33, that is not good for our franchise. Why he didn't front load that deal is beyond me. Here is another stat that will make you sick to your stomach. We have over 19 million in DEAD MONEY this season. :vincepalm:

He isn't even good enough to be an accountant at H and R block let alone run the salary of an NFL franchise.

Demeco and Barwin are playing lights out in Philly, certainly better than any Texans defender not named JJ Watt.

The Texans have been in continuous cap hell.

The drafts have been bad outside 1st round.

Yeah, what's not to like about th GM?

How about the fact he doesn't have a good resume in the draft beyond round 1, he back loads contracts putting us in terrible positions if the player gets hurt or regresses enough they need to be cut (Cushing, Schaub, McCain not to mention the countless free agents we over paid to come here). What about all the bad deals he has been a part of? We gave Ryans a deal earlier than we had to only for him to blow out his achilles and then we got rid of, meanwhile he is the Eagles leader and doing well. We let Barwin walk on a friendly deal of 6 years 36 million with only 8 million guaranteed and we still haven't found a replacement for him. We watched Smith (the next best player on defense outside of Watt) walk to Oakland for 2 years 9 mil and only 4 guaranteed. We sat back and watched Brandon Flowers go to San Diego for a 5 year deal with only 3 guaranteed. As much as everyone loves AJ, his contract is so disgustingly backloaded its crazy. He is going to make 46 million over the next couple of seasons and for a guy who is already 33, that is not good for our franchise. Why he didn't front load that deal is beyond me. Here is another stat that will make you sick to your stomach. We have over 19 million in DEAD MONEY this season. :vincepalm:

He isn't even good enough to be an accountant at H and R block let alone run the salary of an NFL franchise.

If you are going to rant about AJ's contract, at least use correct information. AJ is not making 46 million over the next couple of seasons...for 2014 through 2016 he makes $31.5 million.

Brandon Flowers got a 1 year deal, not a 5 year deal. Yes it was $3 million upfront gtd but it has up to another $2 million in incentives built into the deal. Clearly with all the salary dumping the team has done this year, there was not enough cap space for a Flower's contract.

The many restructuring of AJ's contract has made it very difficult I will agree. I don't think Rick back loaded very many contracts; but he used the tactic of large signing bonuses on contracts which leaves a lot of dead money on contracts. I think he and Chris Olsen have learned their lesson on that (as have many other GM's) method. Go look at JJ's contract, after 2017 it has very little dead money. Actually it has very little dead money after 2015, but his upcoming guaranteed salaries in 2016 & 2017 would be trade-able. Just an example, not saying we trade him. But I think JJ's contract is a clear example of a good contract that doesn't have large consequences 5 years from now.

The cap situation does look better for 2015 and beyond, not $60 million Oakland style but it has some room to work with.

The Texans' contracts are not generally back-loaded significantly. They aren't the old use of the term which referred to the prior practice of announcing $100 mil 7 year contracts which were press BS because $50 mil of it was in the last 2 years and everyone knew they would never be paid out. These are pretty flat:

Last 3 years of deals:
JJo - 7.5, 7.5, 8.5
Foster - 5.75, 6, 6.5
AJ - 10, 10.5, 11

If you are going to rant about AJ's contract, at least use correct information. AJ is not making 46 million over the next couple of seasons...for 2014 through 2016 he makes $31.5 million.

Brandon Flowers got a 1 year deal, not a 5 year deal. Yes it was $3 million upfront gtd but it has up to another $2 million in incentives built into the deal. Clearly with all the salary dumping the team has done this year, there was not enough cap space for a Flower's contract.

The many restructuring of AJ's contract has made it very difficult I will agree. I don't think Rick back loaded very many contracts; but he used the tactic of large signing bonuses on contracts which leaves a lot of dead money on contracts. I think he and Chris Olsen have learned their lesson on that (as have many other GM's) method. Go look at JJ's contract, after 2017 it has very little dead money. Actually it has very little dead money after 2015, but his upcoming guaranteed salaries in 2016 & 2017 would be trade-able. Just an example, not saying we trade him. But I think JJ's contract is a clear example of a good contract that doesn't have large consequences 5 years from now.

The cap situation does look better for 2015 and beyond, not $60 million Oakland style but it has some room to work with.
That's why I said "rant away". There were just too many inaccuracies and half truths for me to deal with.
Thank you
repped.

The Texans' contracts are not generally back-loaded significantly. They aren't the old use of the term which referred to the prior practice of announcing $100 mil 7 year contracts which were press BS because $50 mil of it was in the last 2 years and everyone knew they would never be paid out. These are pretty flat:

Last 3 years of deals:
JJo - 7.5, 7.5, 8.5
Foster - 5.75, 6, 6.5
AJ - 10, 10.5, 11

Yep, Brown's deal was actually under market value for his ability.

There is also the 30% rule in the CBA to prevents more than 30% increase in year to year P5 salaries.

Unless quality has come to be synonymous with elite, then yes we have.

Matt Schaub was always getting hurt and missing time. Missed 5 games in 2007, IR'd in 2008, IR'd in 2011.

7 years in Houston Matt Schaub led the Texans to the playoffs 1 time, with 1 division win, and 1 playoff win.

Matt Schaub was so bad in 2013 they renamed the pic six after him.

In 7 years Matt Schaub won 2 prime time games.

Is this the quality you speak of?

Or that he sucks at his job and threw Kubiak under the bus. Nah the guy running a 2-14 org is perfect and everything is just peach. Meanwhile the Texans haven't gotten sh!t out of the latest Rick Smith draft.

Carry On

Foles won the NFC East last as a rookie? 27 TD's 2 INT's

Palmer is leading a 1 loss team into this weeks games. Smith had lead the 49ers to the AFC championship the yr before he was traded and was only a couple of fumbled Williams PR's away from leading his team to the SB. Revisionist history?

Smith the same as Fitz? Do you even watch football? Tell me the last time Fitz has played in a playoff game, much less put up over 40 pts in a playoff game?

He wasn't a rookie last year. And this year he is an 80.7 QB rating guy.

2nd yr but the 1st yr he played. Bottom line is other successful Orgs seem to be these type QB's and until Smith finds one the fans that are so great are going to have to suffer thru the Fitz's of the world.

I've got very little faith in things changing much with Smith as GM. Do you?

Matt Schaub was always getting hurt and missing time. Missed 5 games in 2007, IR'd in 2008, IR'd in 2011.

7 years in Houston Matt Schaub led the Texans to the playoffs 1 time, with 1 division win, and 1 playoff win.

Matt Schaub was so bad in 2013 they renamed the pic six after him.

In 7 years Matt Schaub won 2 prime time games.

Is this the quality you speak of?

In 2010, he had the 6th best passing year ever to that time. Ever. He had 3 seasons of over 4000 yards passing. From 2008 to 2012, he maintained a >90 passer rating.

At his best, he was a quality quarterback. Not a great QB, but a QB that could win a lot of games with the right team around him. We just never gave him a decent defense until it was almost too late.

I personally do not put losses on the QB unless the QB is the weak link in the team and I do not put wins on the QB unless the QB is carrying bad team.

In 2010, he had the 6th best passing year ever to that time. Ever. He had 3 seasons of over 4000 yards passing. From 2008 to 2012, he maintained a >90 passer rating.

At his best, he was a quality quarterback. Not a great QB, but a QB that could win a lot of games with the right team around him. We just never gave him a decent defense until it was almost too late.

I personally do not put losses on the QB unless the QB is the weak link in the team and I do not put wins on the QB unless the QB is carrying bad team.

So... Fitz fits?

That's why I said "rant away". There were just too many inaccuracies and half truths for me to deal with.
Thank you
repped.

OK:

Fact, 1 year removed from the 2013 draft and only 2 players are on the roster.
Fact, after a 2-14 season the 2014 draft class full of high round picks have failed to make a significant impact.
Fact, the biggest need on the roster was not addressed this offseason
Fact, the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 draft classes are awful.
Fact, Texans have been short on cash since signing Manning and Joseph. So much so we went from having one of the best offensive lines in 2011 to cutting two starters from that line and never finding their replacements.
Fact, 7 drafts have produced 4 pro-bowlers.
Fact, Glover Quin, Barwin, Winston, Brisiel, Ryans, Leach, OD, Antonio Smith, Mario Williams, have all been cut, traded, released, or not re-signed. That is 10 out of 22 starters that were all on our team in 2011. That is 10 starters that Smith has yet to replace with quality players.

Fact, Rick Smith has signed 1 good free agent in 8 off-seasons. (JJo)

Fact, Rick Smith passed on Manning and extended Schaub's contract.

Fact, combined with horrific draft history, inability to manage the cap, and poor FA evaluations, it has left the Texans bare in talent and depth.

2nd yr but the 1st yr he played. Bottom line is other successful Orgs seem to be these type QB's and until Smith finds one the fans that are so great are going to have to suffer thru the Fitz's of the world.

I've got very little faith in things changing much with Smith as GM. Do you?

He started 6 games and played in 7 as a rookie. Last year was not the 1st he played.

I don't believe QB decisions have been on Smith. I think who the QBs on the roster have been has been on the two QB guru coaches.

Last 3 years of deals:
JJo - 7.5, 7.5, 8.5
Foster - 5.75, 6, 6.5
AJ - 10, 10.5, 11

You think AJ at 33 is a 10 mil $$$$ man?

You don't draw up contracts that give 33 yr old WR's 10 plus ayr for 3 yrs. You would think Rick Smith was running the federal govt with that kind of cap management.

OK:

Fact, after a 2-14 season the 2014 draft class full of high round picks have failed to make a significant impact.
Fact, Texans have been short on cash since signing Manning and Joseph. So much so we went from having one of the best offensive lines in 2011 to cutting two starters from that line and never finding their replacements.
Fact, Glover Quin, Barwin, Winston, Brisiel, Ryans, Leach, OD, Antonio Smith, Mario Williams, have all been cut, traded, released, or not re-signed. That is 10 out of 22 starters that were all on our team in 2011. That is 10 starters that Smith has yet to replace with quality players.

Fact, combined with horrific draft history, inability to manage the cap, and poor FA evaluations, it has left the Texans bare in talent and depth.

Fact: Not all your facts are facts... but your opinions instead :kitten:

OK:

Which leads to 2-14. But everything is hunky Dory with Rick Smith in charge, Great Fans of the Houston Texans. I mean look at all of the contributors in this yrs draft. (I really liked this yrs draft and think they will contribute better next yr.)

You don't draw up contracts that give 33 yr old WR's 10 plus ayr for 3 yrs. You would think Rick Smith was running the federal govt with that kind of cap management.

Was AJ 33 when he signed that last extension?

Didn't he sign the extensions to free up money for the years he signed them? Could have been at Cal or Bob's direction for all we know. I don't think you can lay all the blame at Smiths door for that. There is plenty of other stuff to lay at his door.

Tell us which ones are not facts?

Fact, the biggest need on the roster was not addressed this offseason- I'm sure he was talking about the qb position, but it being the biggest need is his opinion, and it appears the team did not agree with that.

Fact, the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 draft classes are awful.- His opinion

Fact, Rick Smith has signed 1 good free agent in 8 off-seasons. (JJo) - his opinion

Fact, Rick Smith passed on Manning and extended Schaub's contract.- we don't know for a fact whose decision was made here

edit: The kitten was to show I agree with most of his opinions while recognizing they are not facts

I consider Fitzpatrick the weak link in this team and I think his play (and covering up for his deficiencies) has cost us games. I think if we had the Schaub from 2010 on this team, we'd be in the SB conversation.

Schaub 2010
Comp % - 63.6%
TD % - 4.2%
INT % - 2.1%
Y / ATT - 7.6
Y / COMP - 12.0
QBR - 57.8

Fitzpatrick 2014
Comp % - 63.4
TD % - 4.0
INT % - 3.1
Y / ATT - 7.7
Y / COMP - 12.2
QBR - 48.9

And no, I'm not being serious, just having fun with stats. I think you meant 2009 Schaub, in which case you are certainly right about him being an upgrade, but I'm still not sure we're a SB team. The fact is you need borderline elite QB play to win a SB these days and the Texans have never had a guy like that.

Just look at the Bengals. They have one of the best constructed rosters in the league and can't even sniff a SB because of their QB. The Ravens had a great roster when they won and, whole Flacco is not elite, he played like it in those Playoffs.

The simple fact is, this team is not competing for a SB until they find a QB.

Was AJ 33 when he signed that last extension?

Didn't he sign the extensions to free up money for the years he signed them? Could have been at Cal or Bob's direction for all we know. I don't think you can lay all the blame at Smiths door for that. There is plenty of other stuff to lay at his door.

Nothing is ever Smith's fault, and if the McNair's were behind this extention, (But I thought the McNair's didn't meddle in the football operation and only handled the business side of the franchise. Which they're great at BTW.) Then this franchise is in worse shape than I thought and probably wont improve until Bob McNair is dead and 6 ft under. If Cal takes over that's not even a guarantee.

Fact, the biggest need on the roster was not addressed this offseason- I'm sure he was talking about the qb position, but it being the biggest need is his opinion, and it appears the team did not agree with that.

Fact, Rick Smith has signed 1 good free agent in 8 off-seasons. (JJo) - his opinion

Fact, Rick Smith passed on Manning and extended Schaub's contract.- we don't know for a fact whose decision was made here

edit: The kitten was to show I agree with most of his opinions while recognizing they are not facts

What do you disagree about with his opinions and why?

According to one poster in the know Kubiak had nothing to do with not signing Manning. If this is so, then who do you think made the decision?

You forgot letting Glover Quin walk to sign Old Man River Reed and letting Winston/Brisiel walk because Newton/Caldwell could "replace them".

Nothing is ever Smith's fault, and if the McNair's were behind this extention, (But I thought the McNair's didn't meddle in the football operation and only handled the business side of the franchise. Which they're great at BTW.) Then this franchise is in worse shape than I thought and probably wont improve until Bob McNair is dead and 6 ft under. If Cal takes over that's not even a guarantee.

agreed. My point is we don't know how much free rein Rick Smith has. I don't believe he is in charge of the cap, and don't know how much that weighs into decisions that are made. Some here state that Kubiak was running the show and that now OB is and Rick Smith just follows directions. Very little is really known about how decisions are made on Kirby

What do you disagree about with his opinions and why?

According to one poster in the know Kubiak had nothing to do with not signing Manning. If this is so, then who do you think made the decision?

Read my edit... I don't necessarily disagree, I just wouldn't call them facts

Schaub 2010
Comp % - 63.6%
TD % - 4.2%
INT % - 2.1%
Y / ATT - 7.6
Y / COMP - 12.0
QBR - 57.8

Fitzpatrick 2014
Comp % - 63.4
TD % - 4.0
INT % - 3.1
Y / ATT - 7.7
Y / COMP - 12.2
QBR - 48.9

And no, I'm not being serious, just having fun with stats. I think you meant 2009 Schaub, in which case you are certainly right about him being an upgrade, but I'm still not sure we're a SB team. The fact is you need borderline elite QB play to win a SB these days and the Texans have never had a guy like that.

Just look at the Bengals. They have one of the best constructed rosters in the league and can't even sniff a SB because of their QB. The Ravens had a great roster when they won and, whole Flacco is not elite, he played like it in those Playoffs.

Succinct and to the point.

Wasn't the discussion. The discussion was backloaded contracts.

And I don't have flat rules on age. Manning (and Brady) is defying conventional wisdom on age and that doesn't stop you from complaining about not getting him.

Schaub 2010
Comp % - 63.6%
TD % - 4.2%
INT % - 2.1%
Y / ATT - 7.6
Y / COMP - 12.0
QBR - 57.8

Fitzpatrick 2014
Comp % - 63.4
TD % - 4.0
INT % - 3.1
Y / ATT - 7.7
Y / COMP - 12.2
QBR - 48.9

And no, I'm not being serious, just having fun with stats. I think you meant 2009 Schaub, in which case you are certainly right about him being an upgrade, but I'm still not sure we're a SB team.

Those are substantially better stats for Schaub.

Agreed.

agreed. My point is we don't know how much free rein Rick Smith has. I don't believe he is in charge of the cap, and don't know how much that weighs into decisions that are made. Some here state that Kubiak was running the show and that now OB is and Rick Smith just follows directions. Very little is really known about how decisions are made on Kirby

And unfortunately that's the way the McNair's want it.

This way there's no fan public accountability. Fact is every decision made falls on Bob/Cal McNair.

Back