Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Dude.

We were doing that under Wade.
We just weren't running a "standard" 3-4... more of a tweaked 5-2... but technically a 3-4. Then in our nickel/dime packages, we'd frequently shift to a 4-3.

Yeah, that's what I thunk. Seemed to happen several times a game, every game.

Rather have Matthews. He played both RT and LT, and also had to pass block for a guy who improvised. Bloodline non-withstanding I put my money on him having the best career of any OL coming out of this draft.
I'm not the least bit opposed to Matthews being selected. In fact, I like him for the very reasons you mention ...AND the bloodline thing.

But when I brought it up initially (must have been eons ago) I was severely chastised for suggesting we take a RT with the 1-1 pick.

Well it's good to know that Smith knows what a good football player looks like. After all it is his profession. With all of these good football players Smith knows what they look like when he sees them how in the world did the Texans finish 2-14 with 1-1 AGAIN?

I'm not the least bit opposed to Matthews being selected. In fact, I like him for the very reasons you mention ...AND the bloodline thing.

But when I brought it up initially (must have been eons ago) I was severely chastised for suggesting we take a RT with the 1-1 pick.

That's because they thought we were enamored with an Aggie or that we were too concerned with the name. I'm like you though. I don't care who he is as long as he's the best OT or one of the best OTs in the game.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

lol @ anyone paying attention to the press conference with the GM of a team a week before the draft.

Have you people learned nothing?
It's either that or go to an Astros game.

smiley-char067.gif

Which would you do?

RAC wants bigger bodies.

That's a different thing than the 3-4/4-3 thing to me. Granted, the bigger bodies are about a more traditional 3-4 shifting to possibly more traditional 4-3 but it's a different aspect. We already wanted guys who could perform in multiple fronts; we're just changing some of their requirements and their dimensions.

It's the lack of depth that is killing our team and that falls squarely on the shoulders of Rick Smith. Bad draft after bad draft. Smith may have put us back more than three years.

We drafted an already hurt Clowney who then got hurt in training camp who then got hurt in the first game, a second round pick that can't beat out Ben Jones for playing time, and a 3rd round pick that couldn't beat out Powe, then came down with a mysterious case of IR.

I would trade anyone of those picks for a Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Garoppolo. We could have had any one of those players but Smith got out played and out maneuvered and now we are stuck with Shitzpatrick.

Our last years draft class has all been cut for the exception of DHop, Swag, and Griffin.

2012 draft class - Mercilus was a project and is a backup at best, Posey can't sniff the field, Jones is trash, Martin is below average, Brooks is a solid Guard, Crick is trash, Bullock improved, who is Mondeck?

2011 draft class only Watt, Reed, and Newton are still on the team.

The only player left from the 2010 draft is KJax

And don't get me started on his lack of cap management and bad FA signings.

And Ultimately not signing Manning was a Rick Smith decision. For that alone he should have been fired.

Rick Smith should have been fired with Kubiak.

It's the lack of depth that is killing our team and that falls squarely on the shoulders of Rick Smith. Bad draft after bad draft. Smith may have put us back more than three years.

Is this a new post? I feel like I have read this before like a few years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really, no really? Lack of depth was what killed us today?

Last I checked Fitz was a starter.

Yeah but if the depth behind him were better then he wouldn't be starting so......yeah.

The depth on this team does suck at many positions. But it's pretty damn obvious that we are hurting the most at the starting QB position.

Is this a new post? I feel like I have read this before like a few years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
technically its a new post
it's just the same song the anti-Smithiak crowd has been singing for years
they're still angry we didn't boot out the matched set

we keep telling them that Smith is a deal broker; it's the coaches that actually do the personnel selecting on draft day

Really, no really? Lack of depth was what killed us today?

Last I checked Fitz was a starter.

Fitz is enemy number 1 and you will get no arguments from me. But look at our team, once you get past our stars there is nobody. We have no TE's, no slot receiver, no pass rush outside JJ Watt, no ILB's, no OLB's, and we are one injury away in the secondary from pulling a fan from the stands and suiting them up for the game.

We drafted an already hurt Clowney who then got hurt in training camp who then got hurt in the first game, a second round pick that can't beat out Ben Jones for playing time, and a 3rd round pick that couldn't beat out Powe, then came down with a mysterious case of IR.

I would trade anyone of those picks for a Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Garoppolo. We could have had any one of those players but Smith got out played and out maneuvered and now we are stuck with Shitzpatrick.

Our last years draft class has all been cut for the exception of DHop, Swag, and Griffin.

2012 draft class - Mercilus was a project and is a backup at best, Posey can't sniff the field, Jones is trash, Martin is below average, Brooks is a solid Guard, Crick is trash, Bullock improved, who is Mondeck?

2011 draft class only Watt, Reed, and Newton are still on the team.

The only player left from the 2010 draft is KJax

And don't get me started on his lack of cap management and bad FA signings.

And Ultimately not signing Manning was a Rick Smith decision. For that alone he should have been fired.

Rick Smith should have been fired with Kubiak.

Depth was not the team problem today. Piss poor offensive play was today.

Yeah but if the depth behind him were better then he wouldn't be starting so......yeah.

The depth on this team does suck at many positions. But it's pretty damn obvious that we are hurting the most at the starting QB position.

Or OB is simply screwing up on QB.

Fitz is enemy number 1 and you will get no arguments from me. But look at our team, once you get past our stars there is nobody. We have no TE's, no slot receiver, no pass rush outside JJ Watt, no ILB's, no OLB's, and we are one injury away in the secondary from pulling a fan from the stands and suiting them up for the game.

We have TEs who either aren't released or aren't seen. We have a QB who only sees AJ, Hopkins and Foster. Clowney is out. Cushing is getting better each game. We're 4 injuries into the secondary depth and holding up decently. JJo had basically perfect play on the long Dez reception except for the result and he's a starter so again not depth. We were once again playing 12 yards off the line when it was 3rd and 8. This loss was on starters at coach and QB far more than depth.

technically its a new post
it's just the same song the anti-Smithiak crowd has been singing for years
they're still angry we didn't boot out the matched set

we keep telling them that Smith is a deal broker; it's the coaches that actually do the personnel selecting on draft day

"He has the final say just as coach has the final say on the roster, but it's in collaboration with the other," McNair said. "So they have to work with each other. If there's a dispute, they come to me. They'll work together, that won't be an issue. The person selecting the personnel has to know what the coach wants. ...If you give him something he doesn't want, he's not going to play him. He'll sit on the bench. We don't have a winning organization doing that. So they have to work together and vice versa. Once a GM has got the personnel there and gives them to the coach, coach has gotta play them."
http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/tag/_/name/bob-mcnair

This is all Rick Smith. O'Brien is not Mr. Awshucks and throws himself under the bus like Kubiak would. You are witnessing O'Brien not playing the players he didn't want. He practically cut the entire 2013 class when he got here and has pretty much refused to play the 2014 class.

Smith is an awful talent evaluator and has no clue on how to put a roster together. Hopefully McNair will finally see that and get rid of him before he continues to destroy this team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/tag/_/name/bob-mcnair

This is all Rick Smith. O'Brien is not Mr. Awshucks and throws himself under the bus like Kubiak would. You are witnessing O'Brien not playing the players he didn't want. He practically cut the entire 2013 class when he got here and has pretty much refused to play the 2014 class.

Smith is an awful talent evaluator and has no clue on how to put a roster together. Hopefully McNair will finally see that and get rid of him before he continues to destroy this team.
did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith doesn't draft who the coaches want, they won't play those guys???
No one is on that roster that O'Brien and/or Crennel didn't agree to.
That post proves it to me.
Thank you for proving my point.

did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith doesn't draft who the coaches want, they won't play those guys???
No one is on that roster that O'Brien and/or Crennel didn't agree to.
That post proves it to me.
Thank you for proving my point.

Did you not absorb the part where Smith has the final say? Did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith did not draft the guys the coach wants the coach won't play them?

Where is Su?
Where is Nix?
Where is Savage?
Where is CJ?
Where is Pagan?

Where is the 2013 draft class under Kubiak or O'Brien?

Smith=Casserly without the charisma.

Did you not absorb the part where Smith has the final say? Did you not absorb the part where McNair said if Smith did not draft the guys the coach wants the coach won't play them?

Where is Su?
Where is Nix?
Where is Savage?
Where is CJ?
Where is Pagan?

Where is the 2013 draft class under Kubiak or O'Brien?

Smith=Casserly without the charisma.

Damn man, I feel you about the 2013 class being a bust. But you have to let a rookie class get their feet wet man. If you had hope for everyone of these rookies to be pro bowlers, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you are expecting a GM to hit on every single draft pick, you are setting yourself up for failure. Every single GM has missed on draft picks. The fact is, I bet you have been rooting for the Texans to lose probably so that it will give you a reason to go on this rant. GET OVER IT MAN! Draft has came and went, its done!

Damn man, I feel you about the 2013 class being a bust. But you have to let a rookie class get their feet wet man. If you had hope for everyone of these rookies to be pro bowlers, you are setting yourself up for failure. If you are expecting a GM to hit on every single draft pick, you are setting yourself up for failure. Every single GM has missed on draft picks. The fact is, I bet you have been rooting for the Texans to lose probably so that it will give you a reason to go on this rant. GET OVER IT MAN! Draft has came and went, its done!

If you think I am rooting for the Texans to lose you don't know jack about me. I take every win and loss personally. But.....go look up Smith's draft history from 2007-current. It's not good. Especially when you sell the public you build your team through the draft.

If you think I am rooting for the Texans to lose you don't know jack about me. I take every win and loss personally. But.....go look up Smith's draft history from 2007-current. It's not good. Especially when you sell the public you build your team through the draft.

You can say the same for a lot of GM's out there and it's a tired argument. There are multiple reasons reasons why the Texans haven't seen a lot of success. Missing on draft picks isn't one of them. Every GM in the league misses on draft picks.

You can say the same for a lot of GM's out there and it's a tired argument. There are multiple reasons reasons why the Texans haven't seen a lot of success. Missing on draft picks isn't one of them. Every GM in the league misses on draft picks.

To say that every GM misses on draft picks is like saying water is wet. Rick Smith not only misses on draft picks, on FA signings, and managing the cap, he also Shits the bed every year like clock work.

The Rick Smith issue falls on McNair's head. He let Gary dictate who
the GM was. That's a no-no.

In my opinion, the owner (who is better at the management side than
the talent side) should focus on making the best GM hire possible.

Then, after he's made the pick, let THAT guy hire a coach.

It's a recipe that has worked well in the past, so it will probably do so
again.

At this point I would say I feel much more comfortable letting McNair
pick a GM then I would picking another coach.

Let's just join hands and hope that BoB "blossoms" into the next
Payton, Harbaugh, or _fill in the blank_ X's & O's guru.

Last edited:
To say that every GM misses on draft picks is like saying water is wet. Rick Smith not only misses on draft picks, on FA signings, and managing the cap, he also Shits the bed every year like clock work.

It's the truth and I know it hurts. Hindsight is 20/20 though. We had a lot of good players to retain and we had a shot and went for it and missed. It seems like we have a lot of bad signings due to those key players getting hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Fire him. Now.

Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.

Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.

Amobi, Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt, Mercilus, Hopkins, Clowney

first round draft choices for last 8 years.

Other than Watt and maybe Brown I see nothing outstanding.
Texans are spinning wheels until a change is made.

is rick fired yet ..????

I would so go for a picket line FIRE rick smith off Kirby if someone set it up

I still say some of you Rick Smith bashers don't have a clue what you're talking about when it cones to being a GM. Firing a GM just for the sake of firing him for the purpose of letting a fan get their little mental reset, is beyond stupidity.

I still say some of you Rick Smith bashers don't have a clue what you're talking about when it cones to being a GM. Firing a GM just for the sake of firing him for the purpose of letting a fan get their little mental reset, is beyond stupidity.

this is being fired for the 10+ years of errors hes made he will always be apart of the Kubes regimne... and thus needs to get canned

Agreed!!!

Please don't say we need to fire a guy until you know of someone you'd prefer to have to replace him.

IMO, Smith is a mediocre GM. That means 50/50 chance we'll get someone better, but also 50/50 chance we'll get someone worse and end up like the Jags, Raiders, Bills, Browns, Rams, etc of the league.

Amobi, Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt, Mercilus, Hopkins, Clowney

first round draft choices for last 8 years.

Other than Watt and maybe Brown I see nothing outstanding.
Texans are spinning wheels until a change is made.

Cushing was a good pick. Are you saying Rick should have been able to read the future in regards to guys tackling his knees?

Jackson was a good pick. We needed a corner desperately, and he was the best at that spot. While all the 'experts' thought we should have gotten Kyle Wilson, Rick ignored the hype and made the right pick.

Hopkins was a good pick.

Clowney was the right pick.

Agreed!!!

Please don't say we need to fire a guy until you know of someone you'd prefer to have to replace him.

IMO, Smith is a mediocre GM. That means 50/50 chance we'll get someone better, but also 50/50 chance we'll get someone worse and end up like the Jags, Raiders, Bills, Browns, Rams, etc of the league.

So what you are saying is the Texans organization does not have the combination of resources, intelligence, football acumen, etc. to do more than randomly pick a GM? They will be just as well served by throwing names in a hat and pulling one out?

Does the same go for players and coaches?

If so, I can see why some would think year after year of mediocrity is OK. The franchise is not capable of anything better.

And people think I'm the pessimist.

So what you are saying is the Texans organization does not have the combination of resources, intelligence, football acumen, etc. to do more than randomly pick a GM? They will be just as well served by throwing names in a hat and pulling one out?

That intelligence you're speaking of also hired Casserly & Smith.

So how often are you allowed to fail at your job and not get fired? This man gets paid millions of dollars a year and all he has done is fail at his job. How much do you get paid and how much leash would you say you have?

misery loves company, lol.

bottom line one thinks he is in control while other feels same neither willing to relinquish stranglehold. whats sad is fans are caught in the middle footing the bill, getting high hopes now for the third time in just a little over decade with the NFL's #1 overall pick expecting to resurrect franchise into respectability. I'm just done drinking his or their :koolaid:

So how often are you allowed to fail at your job and not get fired? This man gets paid millions of dollars a year and all he has done is fail at his job. How much do you get paid and how much leash would you say you have?
And the man who is paying him those millions is happy with his work. So evidently Smith is doing what McNair expects him to do and is doing it to McNair's satisfaction.
Now if you have issues with McNair evaluation processes you need to call him up and tell him.

That intelligence you're speaking of also hired Casserly & Smith.

Well, I still consider the Texans more of an NFL franchise than a game of bingo. I wouldn't spend my Sundays watching other people play bingo to see how the ping pong balls happen to fall.

And the man who is paying him those millions is happy with his work. So evidently Smith is doing what McNair expects him to do and is doing it to McNair's satisfaction.
Now if you have issues with McNair evaluation processes you need to call him up and tell him.

You got his number?

My biggest gripe with Smith is the failed middle round picks and the fact he seems to love back loading contracts and they are all about to explode in value. I do not know if he anticipated the cap to go up significantly and this wouldn't be an issue, but either way we are going to be nailed to the cap for some time unless we can trade some expensive players this off-season. (something he has never done before)

Back