Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

You can think that but the reports are the Texans had Peterson targeted and then got jumped on the deal. Then as the story goes they contemplated making the same trade to take Aldon Smith and decided against it and ended up taking Watt. So to the extent you want to guess Wade was influential it sounds like Watt was his 3rd choice.

I don't recall the Texans trying to trade up for Peterson. I do recall the Lions trying to trade up.

Rumor had it at the time McNair promised Wade the 1st rd pick when he gave him the job. Wade wanted Aldon Smith, he was gone and Wade settled for Watt.

What are your thoughts?

I don't recall the Texans trying to trade up for Peterson. I do recall the Lions trying to trade up.

Rumor had it at the time McNair promised Wade the 1st rd pick when he gave him the job. Wade wanted Aldon Smith, he was gone and Wade settled for Watt.

What are your thoughts?

There was speculation about Wade. I never heard anything that even rose to the level of rumor.

This was a report someone posted just a few months ago toward the tail of the season. It was that the Texans had a deal in place with Atlanta to take Peterson but the Cardinals took him. There was then a huddle on whether to still do the deal and grab Aldon Smith prior to San Fran and they decided not to (with Smith saying no) and ended up remaining in place and taking JJ.

Now the two are not mutually exclusive but if Wade had the 1st round pick control then Peterson was his top choice.

My net thoughts on it are we have no real idea what goes on or the power dynamics and should stop acting like we do.

There was speculation about Wade. I never heard anything that even rose to the level of rumor.

This was a report someone posted just a few months ago toward the tail of the season. It was that the Texans had a deal in place with Atlanta to take Peterson but the Cardinals took him. There was then a huddle on whether to still do the deal and grab Aldon Smith prior to San Fran and they decided not to (with Smith saying no) and ended up remaining in place and taking JJ.

Now the two are not mutually exclusive but if Wade had the 1st round pick control then Peterson was his top choice.

My net thoughts on it are we have no real idea what goes on or the power dynamics and should stop acting like we do.
:goodpost:

All the speculation on the power structure between the coaching staff and front office has gotten stale.

I keep up with Texans news very closely and heard none of this. Did you hear this news from an inside source?

What fun would a MB be without speculation. I think that we can agree that whatever the power structure was in the last regime was it didn't work. Hopefully they change that.

I remember the report about the trade for Peterson. I also remember the write up about the Flacco/Brown deal. Between those two, I think we should be able to form some idea of the power dynamic.

& with Kubiak saying Rick picks them & Gary coaches them, it's not the mystery the Smith haters would have you believe. Rick picks them, Gary coaches them, or cuts them.

Now when the Texans pick comes up, if Bill Kollar screams from the back of the room, "Pick Clowney." that doesn't mean it was his pick. If later we found out that McNair wanted Manziel, & OB wanted Tom Savage... that's still Smith's pick.

Duane Brown was Gibbs man, but he couldn't have stopped Rick Smith from trading down if he wanted to. Kubiak couldn't have stopped Rick Smith if he wanted to. If he'd have traded down & missed on Duane Brown, they'd have left that war room saying they got the guy they targeted & attribute it to the waterboy, or the LBs coach, or the TEs coach, or maybe even the HC (though I doubt it), but it was Rick's pick.

If Rick Smith keeps bringing players in & Gary keeps cutting them & those players continue to have some production for successful teams... it's hard to pin the "talentless" team problem on the GM. Looking at our roster is only part of the equation.

You can think that but the reports are the Texans had Peterson targeted and then got jumped on the deal. Then as the story goes they contemplated making the same trade to take Aldon Smith and decided against it and ended up taking Watt. So to the extent you want to guess Wade was influential it sounds like Watt was his 3rd choice.

Thank G*D! No matter the thought process or who ultimately pulled the trigger or who had the final say, The Texans got that one right, whether by skill, luck or indifference they nailed that one!!!

Thank G*D! No matter the thought process or who ultimately pulled the trigger or who had the final say, The Texans got that one right, whether by skill, luck or indifference they nailed that one!!!
Amen, brother!!! By hook or by crook. LOL

I keep up with Texans news very closely and heard none of this. Did you hear this news from an inside source?

What fun would a MB be without speculation. I think that we can agree that whatever the power structure was in the last regime was it didn't work. Hopefully they change that.

When the 2011 NFL draft unfolded, no one truly knew what newly acquired defensive coordinator Wade Phillips would want as his first pick. There were rumors that he wanted Aldon Smith, but we recently found out that General Manager Rick Smith had a trade in place to get Patrick Peterson.

Googled: "Texans trade rumors patrick peterson aldon smith" that's one of the articles that showed up.

You can think that but the reports are the Texans had Peterson targeted and then got jumped on the deal. Then as the story goes they contemplated making the same trade to take Aldon Smith and decided against it and ended up taking Watt...

Yes, Deepi posted such on HT.com in January: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-JJ-Watt/3844ef4d-e27c-4ba8-9dcf-ae3eab82026c

And I copied it onto TT here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2281450&highlight=peterson#post2281450

I thinking drafting JJ was more of Wade's doing than Rick or Kubes.

In the world where we see 10 seven round mock drafts per day... in February, it shouldn't be surprising that fans have such a simplistic view of the NFL draft.

GMs aren't scouts! There job is to collect information from all the available sources and then make the best decisions for the organization. Every player ever drafted by the Texans have had a strong advocate (either coach or scout), pressing Smith to draft him. More important to understand, though, is that there are hundreds of players that some of the Texan coaches were raving about that did not get drafted by Smith.

Who is Mike Stembridge?

Just some dude on FB who obviously loves him some Rick Smif! Was not agreeing with him, just thought some of you would find that analysis as funny as I did.

So glad the Texans blinked on the Aldon Smith trade. Why does a guy who has the world in the palm his hand, do something as dumb as that?

rick brought in Ed reed nufff said

and didn't even have the power to at least let Peyton manning visit Houston when he was doing his cross country tour

Every gm has hits and misses and smith has his hits and flops. Steelb has an agenda and brings names of other gms to prove a point and that's cool. I wanna know if smith gets the blame for okoye,who gets the credit for duane brown,cushing,watt? Who gets the credit for arian foster and trading a 5th for myers? See, that game is a game. What's so great about the green bay roster? Aaron Rodgers. He went down and what was their record before he went down till he returned? See, all it takes is nabbing a franchise caliber qb to change the perception of a gm. After the ravens superbowl in 2000,how many playoff games did they win in the next 8 yrs? In fact how many times did they make the playoffs until they drafted flacco? Was ozzie a great gm when he drafted travis taylor and kyle boller in the 1st rd. What about when he signed elvis from kansas city?

No problem with speculation. The problem comes in when people start acting like their speculation is fact.
Well, I believe I said up front that I was theorizing/guessing on how things worked on draft day. As ThreeToed Pete used to say, "we don't know, we weren't in the room"

rick brought in Ed reed nufff said

and didn't even have the power to at least let Peyton manning visit Houston when he was doing his cross country tour
I think it was established quite a while back that Rick was told to go fetch Ed Reed by Uncle Bob McNair. McNair sent Smith on this private jet to bring him to Houston.
LINK

As an aside, note at the 1:00 mark where McNair himself said "...I've been preaching to our coaches that we have enough talent..." Now if McNair thinks Smith is largely responsible for gathering that talent, you should know all you need to know as to why Smith was the only one not shown the door along with Kubiak and Phillips. You may disagree with McNair's assessment, but it is what it is.

Edit: You made two contradictory statements. How can Rick Smith have the power to go fetch Ed Reed but NOT have the power to bring Peyton in for a chat? Either he has the power to grab who he wants (or at least kick the tires) or he doesn't.

Every gm has hits and misses and smith has his hits and flops. Steelb has an agenda and brings names of other gms to prove a point and that's cool. I wanna know if smith gets the blame for okoye,who gets the credit for duane brown,cushing,watt? Who gets the credit for arian foster and trading a 5th for myers? See, that game is a game. What's so great about the green bay roster? Aaron Rodgers. He went down and what was their record before he went down till he returned? See, all it takes is nabbing a franchise caliber qb to change the perception of a gm. After the ravens superbowl in 2000,how many playoff games did they win in the next 8 yrs? In fact how many times did they make the playoffs until they drafted flacco? Was ozzie a great gm when he drafted travis taylor and kyle boller in the 1st rd. What about when he signed elvis from kansas city?

Excellent point!

I have liked the way the organization has operated as Rick Smith's role has increased- not because they haven't made any personnel mistakes, but because they seem to have a good plan, don't panic, make thoughtful decisions, and have a long term and disciplined view for the organization. I also like the focus on collected compensatory picks, avoiding the free agent frenzy, and the willingness to let veterans go when prudent.

The Ed Reed fiasco was a mistake than many of you saw coming. All organizations make those mistakes on occasion. However, only a dozen organizations would be as quick to recognize and act on that mistake. It is that kind of football-first focus that allows an organization to be successful in the long term. Check out the NFL teams that make football decisions with a weighted concern for PR, or the ones that are stifled with inaction because of uncertainty or internal disagreement. Those are the organizations that will be fortunate to make 1 or 2 playoffs in the next decade.

Excellent point!

I have liked the way the organization has operated as Rick Smith's role has increased- not because they haven't made any personnel mistakes, but because they seem to have a good plan, don't panic, make thoughtful decisions, and have a long term and disciplined view for the organization. I also like the focus on collected compensatory picks, avoiding the free agent frenzy, and the willingness to let veterans go when prudent.

The Ed Reed fiasco was a mistake than many of you saw coming. All organizations make those mistakes on occasion. However, only a dozen organizations would be as quick to recognize and act on that mistake. It is that kind of football-first focus that allows an organization to be successful in the long term. Check out the NFL teams that make football decisions with a weighted concern for PR, or the ones that are stifled with inaction because of uncertainty or internal disagreement. Those are the organizations that will be fortunate to make 1 or 2 playoffs in the next decade.
I'm convinced that was a clear case of McNair playing GM and Smith was along for the ride.

I'm convinced that was a clear case of McNair playing GM and Smith was along for the ride.

And a GM with balls would have told Bob how stupid the idea was.

(I didn't know how that one would play out, I hoped at least a season out the guy, I don't know if we got a play out of him)

The Ed Reed fiasco was a mistake than many of you saw coming.

Was it?

I'm not so sure. Yeah, it played out the way many said it would, but starting out 2-6 would make just about anything look like a mistake.

I didn't care if Reed wasn't healthy enough to play through the first 10 games, that's not why he was brought here. The Ed Reed move had no shot of paying off if we never reached the post season.

The Texans requested Ed Reed have surgery & the Texans "forced" Ed Reed into the starting line-up.

Let's imagine (in a GP kinda way, if you know what I mean) that Ed Reed was Rick Smith's move, instigated by our beloved owner. Also imagine (because this whole thing is based on supposition) that there's been a quite feud brewing between Kubiak & Smith (Tate taken in the second round after Kubiak "found" Foster, drafting a punt returner in Trindon Holliday, Sherrick McMannis, Shelly Smith (still in the league), trading back up for Brandon Harris, Signing Case Keenum). & it came to a head in 2014.

Can't build a team if you're not developing the talent (that others have decided to develop) you're being given.

I'm not a Rick Smith fan. I'd be happier now if he was let go after 2010 (I wanted him gone more than I wanted Kubiak gone then). But this is the way Bob wants to go & I'm willing to wait & see how OB does with Rick's picks.

Excellent point!

Glad you like an obviously dysfunctional on the field product.

After reading this post you would think the Texans on field product lead by Smith was 14-2 last yr instead of 2-14. After last yrs rah rah posting and the fact that you chose to welch out on a bet makes me certainly devalue your opinions on all things Texans amongst other things.

Glad you like an obviously dysfunctional on the field product.

After reading this post you would think the Texans on field product lead by Smith was 14-2 last yr instead of 2-14. After last yrs rah rah posting and the fact that you chose to welch out on a bet makes me certainly devalue your opinions on all things Texans amongst other things.

And you'd still be complaining about Rick Smith if we were 14-2

And you'd still be complaining about Rick Smith if we were 14-2

How would you know that? It's never happened and probably wont be happening anytime soon. The Texans are currently the kind of org that Dale described. (A pretender) Reaching the playoffs a couple of times in a decade, getting blown out by above avg teams and then falling off of a cliff.

It's not my fault Smith is in charge of the on the field product that has been lackluster at best. But you can continue to kill the messenger, but it wont matter because of how things continue to play out with the on the field product.

How would you know that? It's never happened and probably wont be happening anytime soon.

I'm sure you were among those complaining when we were 12-4.

It's not my fault Smith is in charge of the on the field product that has been lackluster at best. But you can continue to kill the messenger, but it wont matter because of how things continue to play out with the on the field product.

I'm with Dale, I'm happy with what this organization has done on Rick Smith's watch & I expect it to get better. Like you though, I give Rick Smith very little credit for it. I'm going to wait to see what another coach can do with the talent Rick Smith gets us.

I'm sure you were among those complaining when we were 12-4.

I'm with Dale, I'm happy with what this organization has done on Rick Smith's watch & I expect it to get better. Like you though, I give Rick Smith very little credit for it. I'm going to wait to see what another coach can do with the talent Rick Smith gets us.

Yes, I said the Texans weren't as good as their record. Because they always got blown out against good teams and blew HFA throughout the playoffs. They came up against a true SB contender in the playoffs and predictably got killed.

What on Smith's watch are you happy with? A couple of wild card game wins in a decade?

What on Smith's watch are you happy with? A couple of wild card game wins in a decade?

Does Smith's watch encompass a decade?

Since he's been here, we've had two losing seasons, two division championships, & two play off wins (or advancing to the divisional round if you prefer).

This crap will continue, regardless of HC or GM. How many people have read about the advice BOB got to " BE IN CHARGE" and will swear that every pick is his? How many will believe that Smith picks 'em and BOB coaches them up? If 2006 had been a clean break and a true house cleaning, we'd still be arguing this because of Kubiak and Smith's Denver connection.

There's not a person on this forum that has a clue about the true dynamics in the FO. Every single post on this subject is nothing more than speculation and a declaration of preference for one individual over another. With the way the Texans are ran, I doubt we'll ever know who has final say over what, especially with a Belichik disciple as HC. It'll only get muddier.

Maybe McNair should just fire Smith and either go all Jerrah Jones ( please Lord, no!!!!) or let BOB wear 3 hats. That way, we'd know who's responsible for what. As it stands, I take the conventional route. Smith drafts them, <insert HC> coaches them up. I haven't been impressed with the coaching and I have been impressed with the players that other teams pick up fro the Texans. It seems to me that coaching was more of a problem than drafting/talent. But that's just MHO.

This crap will continue, regardless of HC or GM. How many people have read about the advice BOB got to " BE IN CHARGE" and will swear that every pick is his? How many will believe that Smith picks 'em and BOB coaches them up?

Who cares? or better yet, what difference does it make who believes what?

The last 4 were better than the first 4, I'm looking forward to the next 4.

GM Rick Smith: “I absolutely know who I want”
“I absolutely know who I want,” Smith said in an interview with "Texans Huddle" on Fox Sports Southwest. “I know the guys we like. The fortunate thing about having the first pick is I’ve got the pick of the litter, so I will know exactly who I want at that point.”

“Now where the game is played is if there’s an opportunity to move and, in this case, obviously to move back if somebody else wants to come up to that first pick," Smith said. "Then you weigh what the opportunities are versus who the individual is that you want to take and what that value is relative to the value that somebody might be offering you. But as you move through the draft, obviously you don’t know who’s going to be picked when.”
“I’ve said very often that if you are able to take a player at a corresponding value and it fits a position of need, then you’ve hit the homerun," Smith said. "You’ve done a great job.”

“As we go and that board starts to fall, we’ve already earmarked that guys that we like, that we think will fit in our systems and we’d like to see in our locker room and the guys that we think would be good guys in our community," Smith said. "We’ve got a pretty good idea of who those men are.”

To hear the complete interview with Rick Smith, tune into "Texans Huddle," airing Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. and again Thursday at 6 p.m. on Fox Sports Southwest.*

*recheck those air times

And a GM with balls would have told Bob how stupid the idea was.

(I didn't know how that one would play out, I hoped at least a season out the guy, I don't know if we got a play out of him)

LOL at "having balls" in the corporate workplace!

Is that what you do with your boss? Have balls and tell him he has a stupid idea? I certainly don't. I like being gainfully employed.

Why do people think that because this company is a professional sports franchise, that the rules of engagement in the workplace are any different than any other company. Bob and Rick work in suits up in the fancy offices, not down in the locker room scratching their crotches with the O-line.

When your boss, especially when that boss is the company owner, has decided on a course of action that you consider "stupid", you present relevant data/facts and look to influence the situation.

Ultimately, as the owner he has the final call, and you either live with it and try to work it into a positive, or exit professionally if it is that important to you. You don't show how big a pair you have by calling him or his ideas stupid. Not if you expect to be employed for long.

LOL at "having balls" in the corporate workplace!

Is that what you do with your boss? Have balls and tell him he has a stupid idea? I certainly don't. I like being gainfully employed.

Why do people think that because this company is a professional sports franchise, that the rules of engagement in the workplace are any different than any other company. Bob and Rick work in suits up in the fancy offices, not down in the locker room scratching their crotches with the O-line.

When your boss, especially when that boss is the company owner, has decided on a course of action that you consider "stupid", you present relevant data/facts and look to influence the situation.

Ultimately, as the owner he has the final call, and you either live with it and try to work it into a positive, or exit professionally if it is that important to you. You don't show how big a pair you have by calling him or his ideas stupid. Not if you expect to be employed for long.

Agree with the bolded totally. If the boss still isn't persuaded by your data/facts I think you've still done your job by giving an alternative viewpoint. Its up to him/her to do something with that. Stomping out like a pouty child while telling your boss he/she is stupid only gets you unemployed and shows other folks in the industry that you're unprofessional and insubordinate. Good luck getting hired someplace else.

Agree with the bolded totally. If the boss still isn't persuaded by your data/facts I think you've still done your job by giving an alternative viewpoint. Its up to him/her to do something with that. Stomping out like a pouty child while telling your boss he/she is stupid only gets you unemployed and shows other folks in the industry that you're unprofessional and insubordinate. Good luck getting hired someplace else.

Nailed it.

Took me into my 30's to realize that even if I was right, I could still be wrong.

But I thought McNair was a hands off owner?

Bottom line is if the owner respects his GM's opinions he will most likely go along with the GM's decisions. It seems as though McNair is totally in charge, yet never held accountable by the fanbase. (Accountable, there goes that word again)

I know that in most fans on this MB McNair can do no wrong, but his management style is the root of the Texans on field product problems. But his management style sure does make him a lot of $$$$ and that's what it's really all about isn't it?

[IMGwidthsize=400]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bmk1JYECMAEuCeU.jpg[/IMG]

5/01 Draft Presser

(tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top)

Jayson Braddock &#8207;@JaysonBraddock
"Those things are certainily options, but I don't think I've ever done that." Rick Smith on possibility of trading veteran players on draft day.

" I tend to believe you want to give yourself as much time as you can to exhaust all of your options" Rick Smith on if he'll use the full 10 mins alloted to make selection

Rick Smith says the extra time has been good, but says he'd like to see it moved back to April.

"You eliminate need, when you value and rank players. We value & rank the board independently of need"

"There's an idea of a traditional QB in the NFL, but those 2 don't fit a specific mold." On success of Kaepernick & Wilson

"There are 2 positions that I think you can never have to many off and that's corners and tackles." Rick Smith #Texans

"I don't feel pressure....that's just my personality. I feel like we're prepared, so I'm confident." Rick Smith

"We have the opportunity to pick the best player available on our board, 3 different times(days)" Rick Smith (3 Days of the Draft)

"We have valued and ranked our board, if we stay at 1...we know who we want"

Rick Smith: On depth of the draft "I do beleive there are positions in this draft that is deep."

Rick Smith: "The vast majority of the work is done, we obviously have a week left to tweak the board"
Dave Zangaro &#8207;@DZangaro
Smith says the extra time has been good for them because of the first pick. But would like to see it get moved back to April. #Texans

Rick Smith says he and OB have been agreeing on the evaluations of most prospects. He said, "I've been in football a long time... he's been in football a long time... we both know what a good football player is."

Rick Smith says over the next week they'll run scenarios for what will happen during the draft, how far they might want to move.

Smith says again that they're willing to move out of first pick. #Texans

Rick Smith says he knows the order of the #Texans board. He knows who he feels good about if they stay at 1.
Drew Dougherty &#8207;@DoughertyDrew
"Enlightening."- #Texans GM on the nature of conversations he's had with Defensive Coordinator Romeo Crennel.

John McClain &#8207;@McClain_on_NFL
At least 4 teams that I know of have inquired about top pick but checking and doing are totally different.

"There are 2 positions that I think you can never have to many off and that's corners and tackles." Rick Smith #Texans

Sniff, sniff... smells like Robinson @ #1 to me

Man I like Rick Smith but that was 20 minutes of my life just wasted away. Pancakes and especially Tania tried their best to get something out of Rick but he wasn't having any of it.

"Enlightening."- I wonder how so?

RAC educating Rick on how he runs and can run his defense -- which is new to Rick, and what kind of players/bodies he requires. Has Rick ever had a defense that lined up in 3-4 and a 4-3 in the same game?

But I thought McNair was a hands off owner?

Bottom line is if the owner respects his GM's opinions he will most likely go along with the GM's decisions. It seems as though McNair is totally in charge, yet never held accountable by the fanbase. (Accountable, there goes that word again)

I know that in most fans on this MB McNair can do no wrong, but his management style is the root of the Texans on field product problems. But his management style sure does make him a lot of $$$$ and that's what it's really all about isn't it?
McNair has been meddling in draft matters since he decided on David Carr for our ultimate 1-1 and has never quit meddling.

He's not on the Jerry Jones level of running the entire draft obviously, but I'm convinced that he was the reason Carr and Schaub got the contract extensions they received, that he (McNair) was the driving force behind getting Ed Reed, and that he wanted to reward Foster with a large contract for services rendered because he led the league in rushing and rushing TDs while being paid UDFA money.

Now I can't prove a word of it because they speak very fluent coach-speak over on Kirby. They all have mastered the art of making complete and very intelligent-sounding sentences that have very little concrete content.
I'm just going with my gut.

RAC educating Rick on how he runs and can run his defense -- which is new to Rick, and what kind of players/bodies he requires. Has Rick ever had a defense that lined up in 3-4 and a 4-3 in the same game?

I was thinking more of "These guys suck! What was Wade thinking?"

Sniff, sniff... smells like Robinson @ #1 to me

Rather have Matthews. He played both RT and LT, and also had to pass block for a guy who improvised. Bloodline non-withstanding I put my money on him having the best career of any OL coming out of this draft.

Dude.

We were doing that under Wade. We just weren't running a "standard" 3-4... more of a tweaked 5-2... but technically a 3-4. Then in our nickel/dime packages, we'd frequently shift to a 4-3.

Dude.

We were doing that under Wade. We just weren't running a "standard" 3-4... more of a tweaked 5-2... but technically a 3-4. Then in our nickel/dime packages, we'd frequently shift to a 4-3.

Not having had a "fat boy in the middle" significantly limited the effectiveness of shifting back and forth.

Back