Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

Tolar's Ghost

Waterboy
..Uncle Bob was just pacifying the fans...
That, and you can tell he just genuinely likes Keenum - his background, personality, work ethic, etc.

Kubiak liked him, too. In OTAs and training camp, he would talk about Keenum in a way I've never heard a coach talk about a third-string quarterback before. Most coaches hardly know the name of the third-string QB.

But Kubiak probably had a hunch about Keenum's limitations, whereas McNair had to see them up-close.

Now that he has, no doubt QB will be the top priority in the offseason.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How does all that factor into the Keenum saga? I just think that a few little birdies put it in his head that Keenum could be an answer, he was curious about it & realized that it couldn't hurt an already dismal season so he went for it...nothing more.
I don't have a problem with that. But... getting pulled is part of the development of a young QB. He needs to know if he don't produce he's going to get yanked. Now, for all we know Case "thinks" the problem is the OL. Like David Carr did. & thinks he's putting forth a heroic effort.

Veteran Starters get the opportunity to "play through" a rough spot. Rookies don't. Starters have earned it. Schaub may never win a Super Bowl, but he's won plenty of regular season games. Tj may not be the future, but he's won a few regular season games.

We have no chance to win with this team "as it's constructed" if Case Keenum is palming the football. & he's not getting better. Anyone who thinks leaving him out there is helping him is letting their love for the kid conflict their better judgement.

I thought he could possibly be our future. But not if they let him stay out there & get decleated by free rushers. If we don't trust him to run a hurry up offense, it's time to sit him when we get to the "we need to hurry this up" offense. Let him start the next game, but he needs to understand his last outing was not good enough.

Tolar's Ghost

Waterboy
Living in Pittsburgh in the early '70 - in the days of the Bradshaw-Hanratty-Gilliam troika - I remember Bradshaw being pulled from a game at least twice, maybe more. Or losing the starting-QB from one week to the next.

Guess it worked out for him.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I don't have a problem with that. But... getting pulled is part of the development of a young QB. He needs to know if he don't produce he's going to get yanked. Now, for all we know Case "thinks" the problem is the OL. Like David Carr did. & thinks he's putting forth a heroic effort.

Veteran Starters get the opportunity to "play through" a rough spot. Rookies don't. Starters have earned it. Schaub may never win a Super Bowl, but he's won plenty of regular season games. Tj may not be the future, but he's won a few regular season games.

We have no chance to win with this team "as it's constructed" if Case Keenum is palming the football. & he's not getting better. Anyone who thinks leaving him out there is helping him is letting their love for the kid conflict their better judgement.

I thought he could possibly be our future. But not if they let him stay out there & get decleated by free rushers. If we don't trust him to run a hurry up offense, it's time to sit him when we get to the "we need to hurry this up" offense. Let him start the next game, but he needs to understand his last outing was not good enough.
I agree, i just think at this point, starter is off the table for Keenum....for any team. There's enough on tape him now that no team is gonna bring him to camp and give him a serious look. he's camp fodder now.

eriadoc

Texan-American
McNair's either infatuated with Keenum or he's letting the UH/Keenum club see how bad he really is so there won't be Keenums calling for Keenum to start in the future.
Or it's an even simpler answer - he's tanking the remainder of the season for the #1 pick.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Or it's an even simpler answer - he's tanking the remainder of the season for the #1 pick.
A former Texans player (Travis Johnson?) was on the other night and said that was the exact reason that Keenum was starting

I think the whole thing started like Elway and Tebow. Throw the crappy backup with lots of fans out there and let him fail, so they will shut up. Kind of pulled a Springtime for Hitler on Elway

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Your conclusion is right about McNair and Adams.

But Adams wasn't a bad guy, or mean guy, or anything of the like. He just wanted a new stadium, even if it were in another city.

As was noted on the NFL Network documentary on the '93 Oilers last week, had the Oilers beaten the Chiefs in the playoffs, he likely would have gotten it.

And there would be no Bud Light (McNair) and the Texans.
Decades of frustration and ill-will were built up when the Oilers choked three playoff appearances in a row ('92-'94') with arguably the most talented roster in the league. It all imploded after the Chiefs game, but I do not believe a win in the second round would have been enough to appease Oilers fans. I know McClain said it on the episode, but I think they call him "the general" because he generalizes everything.

The Oilers would have had to be in the Super Bowl for Houston fans to give Bud a stadium deal at that point.

I do not think Bud Adams was "bad" or "evil", but he was extremely arrogant and thought he knew better than experienced football professionals regarding how to run a football team. He was trying to be like Al Davis, but lacked the football acumen to understand big picture analysis on hiring coaches and scouts.

I think McNair is 100 times better than Bud, simply because he does not act like he knows how to run a team. He is a CEO that hires pros to run his business, and he's still experiencing a learning curve. It takes time, but I have little doubt that he's going to get better at it with experience.

It's not that far out of the question. Dutchrudder and I had a conversation a couple of months ago about tanking and the Colts situation with Luck. I was against at the time, foolishly believing this team would pull out of its tailspin this year. However, at this point, Dutch was on the money and it would not be that hard for an owner to insist on certain decisions to help the team lose games. They could have had their evaluation of Keenum 6 weeks ago, but decided to let him play it out because it was the most likely way to lose out for the no. 1 pick.

It is not unrealistic to believe that they saw this season as a lost cause awhile back and started looking ahead to 2014.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
Is everything with you a conspiracy theory? Do you honestly think the owner has meetings with players telling them to tank, or is it some sort of Jedi Mind Trick?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Decades of frustration and ill-will were built up when the Oilers choked three playoff appearances in a row ('92-'94') with arguably the most talented roster in the league. It all imploded after the Chiefs game, but I do not believe a win in the second round would have been enough to appease Oilers fans. I know McClain said it on the episode, but I think they call him "the general" because he generalizes everything.

The Oilers would have had to be in the Super Bowl for Houston fans to give Bud a stadium deal at that point.

I do not think Bud Adams was "bad" or "evil", but he was extremely arrogant and thought he knew better than experienced football professionals regarding how to run a football team. He was trying to be like Al Davis, but lacked the football acumen to understand big picture analysis on hiring coaches and scouts.

I think McNair is 100 times better than Bud, simply because he does not act like he knows how to run a team. He is a CEO that hires pros to run his business, and he's still experiencing a learning curve. It takes time, but I have little doubt that he's going to get better at it with experience.

It's not that far out of the question. Dutchrudder and I had a conversation a couple of months ago about tanking and the Colts situation with Luck. I was against at the time, foolishly believing this team would pull out of its tailspin this year. However, at this point, Dutch was on the money and it would not be that hard for an owner to insist on certain decisions to help the team lose games. They could have had their evaluation of Keenum 6 weeks ago, but decided to let him play it out because it was the most likely way to lose out for the no. 1 pick.

It is not unrealistic to believe that they saw this season as a lost cause awhile back and started looking ahead to 2014.
They are tanking and the players have quit.

As far as BoB's learning curve goes he' had over a decade to learn. If he hasn't learned by now he never will. What your saying is BoB took the short bus to school.

Yaky

Noob
Is everything with you a conspiracy theory? Do you honestly think the owner has meetings with players telling them to tank, or is it some sort of Jedi Mind Trick?
He doesnt have to tell players anything, just make sure that Keenum does not have a hot read when he is blitzed. Easy tank

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
He doesnt have to tell players anything, just make sure that Keenum does not have a hot read when he is blitzed. Easy tank
ok so now McNair is calling down plays from the box, or altering the playbook just so Keenum will fail? Please tell me you are trolling.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
BS. Wade and Dennison aren't playing to get fired.

The Colts tanked. Yes or no? You think their owner had anything to do with it?
Not in the way you mean it. They did not intentionally call bad plays or schemes.

Yes they made a decision not to pay a few mil to upgrade the QB position for a couple meaningless wins. The Texans could have brought VY (insert street FA here) in and maybe he would have provided a spark to get another win or two, maybe. I don't think not doing it was tanking.

eriadoc

Texan-American
First of all, never said anything about a conspiracy. Doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Owners and players are at odds on damn near everything in football. The players always play for a contract, but owners have to be concerned with the long term well being of their franchise. Sometimes that leads to goals that are at odds. McNair doesn't have to tell the players anything. The team sucks with or without Keenum, so a tweak here or there doesn't have to involve a meeting where he lays down how it's going to be. If he thinks Keenum gives him a better chance to lose, he can sell it a couple different ways.

Second, if you want to trade reds over something as tame as that remark, I'm good with that game. :)

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They are tanking and the players have quit.
I think the team just sucks, and as a result, the players seem to have quit giving it their best effort.

But I do not buy into it that the players and coaches are conspiring to tank a season in order to get a draft pick for a next season that many of them will not be in Houston.

I don't even think the FO is purposefully implementing decisions to tank. My previous post was just entertaining the notion that McNair is pushing Keenum because he's not going to win any games. But it was entertainment purposes only. Shitty teams do not need to work together to suck. They just do it naturally.

As far as BoB's learning curve goes he' had over a decade to learn. If he hasn't learned by now he never will. What your saying is BoB took the short bus to school.
Well, that's certainly one way to perceive it. But, if I were to believe this, I would just quit watching the Texans based on my belief that they will never amount to anything under McNair's ownership.

And since I do not plan on quiting as a fan, I am choosing to take the other option that McNair has the potential to learn and improve as an owner.

Point is why bother if you do not think this franchise can ever win a championship?

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
This is all I have to say about pro sports tanking:

Sampson + Olajuwan = NBA Draft Lottery

Reactions: JB

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Probably an excuse to get TJ Yates some playing time. What the hell else do you have to lose? I for one could live without the underthrown 15 yard outs and braindead sacks.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They could have had their evaluation of Keenum 6 weeks ago, but decided to let him play it out because it was the most likely way to lose out for the no. 1 pick.
What's at the top of this draft worth tanking for? That's the only problem I have with that.

How far back? After loss #8?

I was totally on board with the decision to bench Schaub after the San Francisco game. Instead he got hurt in St. Louis & it's been Case Keenum ever since.

I was sold on the fact that the Texans thought Keenum could be the answer. His first three games held up to that. However, the trend of second half futility had already started.

The loss to Jacksonville sealed it for me. 28th ranked defense & they stymied us. We scored 6 points & only because Case got benched. 28 yards of offense through 2.5 qtrs.

So yeah, I'm just thinking out loud. At that point, we had lost 9 in a row. We were 2-9.... season's over.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
First of all, never said anything about a conspiracy. Doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Owners and players are at odds on damn near everything in football. The players always play for a contract, but owners have to be concerned with the long term well being of their franchise. Sometimes that leads to goals that are at odds. McNair doesn't have to tell the players anything. The team sucks with or without Keenum, so a tweak here or there doesn't have to involve a meeting where he lays down how it's going to be. If he thinks Keenum gives him a better chance to lose, he can sell it a couple different ways.

Second, if you want to trade reds over something as tame as that remark, I'm good with that game. :)
Yea ok, do you have a pet unicorn like the other guy too? You started the red war with your rant about my Hitler analogy when everyone had a boner for Case Keenum. Ridiculous neg rep. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2242455#post2242455

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The most commonly sprained ligament in the thumb is the ulnar collateral ligament.

If it is mildly strained (grade I), they may put a light splint or supportive bandage that blocks outer movement of the thumb. Gripping a football will reproduce stress on this ligament. It the tear is partial (grade II), he will be wearing a full splint or cast for 3 weeks with no movement, then begin strengthening exercises (still wearing the splint or cast for another 2-3 weeks when doing these exercises). If it is completely torn (grade III, below), with or without a fracture of the attached bone, he will require surgery, a period of 6-8 weeks in a full-time short arm cast or splint.......then rehab.

It will important for the proper diagnosis to be made and the appropriate treatment pursued early in order to avoid long-term instability of the thumb.
They should already have been able to diagnose a grade III simply by physical exam. Since they performed an MRI, they were most like trying to determine grade I vs. grade II. Less likely is that they would be tactically closed-mouth re. a known Grade III, and assessing for any additional injury to the thumb.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The most commonly sprained ligament in the thumb is the ulnar collateral ligament.
Well that explains everything. He must have suffered it in the 2nd half of the Chiefs game & it continues to flare up in the second half of every subsequent game & whenever we play the mighty Jags.

Give him a complete offseason to get healthy, training camp throwing to the ones & we'll be back on top of the AFC South again.

:kitten:

Last edited: