Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

maddogmrb

Rookie
The 29th ranked offense (23rd scoring) just put 27 points on us (20 on the defense) on the #1 defense in the league.
We also had poor field position most of the game which put our offense in a hole and resulted in our defense having their backs against the wall most of the game.

AndyWin

Nguyenning
This kid has GOT to learn how to move the chains. He would rather gamble 50 yards downfield than move the chains on 3rd and short.

3rd and 3 on your last drive and you throw it 50 yards out of bounds to set yourself up for a must have 4th down? Sigh

He can't read the blitz either. He has no quick throw... he automatically scans deep and by that time, he's sacked or has someone in his face. LOTS of learning to do

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We also had poor field position most of the game which put our offense in a hole and resulted in our defense having their backs against the wall most of the game.
You're right, so there is a silver lining. We didn't give up a single scoring drive over 70 yards today.

foo82

Waterboy
All the things that I was worried about case seemed to manifest itself in this game.

He held the ball too long.
Couldn't adjust to blitz.
Sometimes forced ball to receivers.

Hopefully these are things he will learn with experience. I just want to see him pick apart blitzes in a methodical way that the elite quarterbacks seem to be able to do.

That said, why do our screens work so horribly? Usually you would use this as a blitz beater, but we never seem to run these with any sort of success.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I'm mixed bag on Keenum. He has really been refreshing so I'm still + on his prospects, but I'm not out of the Ty Detmer stage yet. The Cardinals have a really excellent defense so I'm not that shocked he struggled. I'm glad we are getting an extended look.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Agree Case has to learn how to handle the blitz.

That being said, it was his third career start. Give him time. For a guy to face two of the best defenses in the league in three career starts is pretty daunting, and he's performed well above the bar people set for him.
Yeah,that inside double a gap blitz he couldn't handle it. Not to mention,he seemed to drop his eyes and zona started contesting the short game. He played well early and terrible late in the 1st half. The 2nd half and most of the 2nd qt was brutal for case. I still think he's earned the right to compete next year. As I've stated ,I'm not passing a qb either.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I'm mixed bag on Keenum. He has really been refreshing so I'm still + on his prospects, but I'm not out of the Ty Detmer stage yet. The Cardinals have a really excellent defense so I'm not that shocked he struggled. I'm glad we are getting an extended look.
Yeah. I think we're right on schedule with Keenum and I'm still feeling positive about him. The thing to watch for us whether or not he learns from this game. He came out of KC and took a step forward against the Colts (albeit in an easier venue). Then he seemed to come into this game a little less focused and with a hair less intensity. I think that early fumble really shook him up. While I place the blame for that almost entirely on Newton I also think Case needs to be more aware of what's happening around him and he took that drop back a little too casual. It's like he hadn't turned his Doppler Radar on just yet and before he knew what happened he'd given the Cards a TD.

I just want to continue to see steady growth. I know there will be setbacks but as long as they're followed by steps forward we're good.

I think he's way better than Detmer was.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Yeah. I think we're right on schedule with Keenum and I'm still feeling positive about him. The thing to watch for us whether or not he learns from this game. He came out of KC and took a step forward against the Colts (albeit in an easier venue). Then he seemed to come into this game a little less focused and with a hair less intensity. I think that early fumble really shook him up. While I place the blame for that almost entirely on Newton I also think Case needs to be more aware of what's happening around him and he took that drop back a little too casual. It's like he hadn't turned his Doppler Radar on just yet and before he knew what happened he'd given the Cards a TD.

I just want to continue to see steady growth. I know there will be setbacks but as long as they're followed by steps forward we're good.

Yeah but right after that fumble, he goes 5/6 on the next drive, throwing that awesome td pass to aj.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Also, dc's are getting a read on him also. That gut blitz is throwing Case into panic mode. That 23 yd sack was unacceptable.

Vinny

shiny happy fan

I think the game will slow down for him as he gets snaps so I think he's going to get better based on what I see early on. On Ty, he was an undersized back-up for two years. He got a break in his 3rd season and went 7-4 and nearly threw for 3k yards in 11 starts. We didn't get to know the "real TY" till next season when the rest of the NFL had enough tape on him. He went back to being a great backup just like Commander Cody. Case isn't past this Ty Detmer stage for me.

Arky

Veteran
There's a database of "tape" on every QB in the league. Doesn't stop Drew Brees/Tom Brady/Phillip Rivers/both Mannings/Romo, etc. from doing their job every Sunday. Not saying Keenum's in this category, yet, but jeez, how 'bout giving it some time? Some of you are making it sound like as soon as the "word gets out", he's doomed to being a fry cook at Jack-in-the-Box next year....

After three games, I bet a lot of OC's would like to have young Mr Keenum in their stable....

legacy_gt

Rookie
Luck was benched today (I think). cam newton, rg3, all the 1st rounders have had even worse times.

I think the big frustration is we lost by 1, 3, & 3 pts the last 3 games. we need adjustments and the coaches and the line have to help out.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Let's get real here. His passings yards slipped badly from 271 yds all the way down to 201 yds and his passer rating fell from 110 to 101. He still had 3 TD passes with no interceptions, but he's had four weeks of practice and he clearly should be playing at a much higher level of competence. I mean, just how much time should we give him to carry the whole team on his shoulders. Maybe it's time to think about trading him. Maybe we could get a 6th or 7th round pick in next years draft. The guy is clearly a loser, losing all three of the games he's been given to start.

Vance87

All Pro
Let's get real here. His passings yards slipped badly from 271 yds all the way down to 201 yds and his passer rating fell from 110 to 101. He still had 3 TD passes with no interceptions, but he's had four weeks of practice and he clearly should be playing at a much higher level of competence. I mean, just how much time should we give him to carry the whole team on his shoulders. Maybe it's time to think about trading him. Maybe we could get a 6th or 7th round pick in next years draft. The guy is clearly a loser, losing all three of the games he's been given to start.
I agree

Hervoyel

BUENO!
There's a database of "tape" on every QB in the league. Doesn't stop Drew Brees/Tom Brady/Phillip Rivers/both Mannings/Romo, etc. from doing their job every Sunday. Not saying Keenum's in this category, yet, but jeez, how 'bout giving it some time? Some of you are making it sound like as soon as the "word gets out", he's doomed to being a fry cook at Jack-in-the-Box next year....

After three games, I bet a lot of OC's would like to have young Mr Keenum in their stable....
Well, that's just it. If Case can still do his job after all the DC's in the league pour over the tape then he's a Brees/Brady/Rivers/Manning/Manning/Romo type.

If he can't then he's a Ty Detmer type.

Still remains to be seen how that turns out. It's looking good so far and I don't believe Texans fans by and large want him to fail so we can spend a pick next spring on a QB. I think most Texans fans would love to see him put the question to rest for good and step up. 6 more games left for Case to show us he's the guy.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Well, that's just it. If Case can still do his job after all the DC's in the league pour over the tape then he's a Brees/Brady/Rivers/Manning/Manning/Romo type.

Still remains to be seen how that turns out. It's looking good so far and I don't believe Texans fans by and large want him to fail so we can spend a pick next spring on a QB. I think most Texans fans would love to see him put the question to rest for good and step up. 6 more games left for Case to show us he's the guy.
Personally, I'm hoping like hell that Case is the solution at QB. I'm pulling for him.

Arky

Veteran

Ty Detmer? I was thinking more along the lines of Doug Flutie..... :) (really not such a bad thing)

Like many, I'm hoping Keenum can prove he deserves to be bona fide starter....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I bet the Packers would give up a 6th for Keenum tomorrow.

foo82

Waterboy
For those that are down on him, we still need to be realistic in our expectations. If his down game is 3 tds and 0 ints, I will take that any day. Every QB has their bad games, and you can't honestly expect them to play perfectly. That said, hopefully Keenum will learn from his mistakes and move on.

Hell prior to Nick Foles 7 td performance, he went 11 for 29 for 80 yards and 0 tds.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
For those that are down on him, we still need to be realistic in our expectations. If his down game is 3 tds and 0 ints, I will take that any day. Every QB has their bad games, and you can't honestly expect them to play perfectly. That said, hopefully Keenum will learn from his mistakes and move on.
I'm not in the crowd that is down on Keenum but Case had two picks dropped, and a third one was close. He took some ridiculous sacks as well. I figure more game experience will help with the game speed. I think the +'s outweighed the -'s in lieu of the dropped INT's for sure.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Come on. His passing yards have gone from 271, up to 350, and down to 201. Can't forget the touchdowns. What do you expect him to have?

maddogmrb

Rookie
I don't see how any QB could have functioned under the lack of protection by this O-line today. I've never seen it so bad in the Kubiak era.
Exactly! He had 'jail break' protection today and performed admirably under those circumstances. Just imagine how this game would have looked with either of our other QBs in there?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Thing is, 99 vikings drafted culpepper a yr after setting the nfl scoring record and a 15-1 record. They won 10 games , had 2 vets and still took a qb. I dont see whats wrong with that approach.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I'm not in the crowd that is down on Keenum but Case had two picks dropped, and a third one was close. He took some ridiculous sacks as well. I figure more game experience will help with the game speed. I think the +'s outweighed the -'s in lieu of the dropped INT's for sure.
having tempered optimism is proper now. for those of us, who watched and remembered lots of football, a QB playing well for a half season or season then winding up being meh (or worse) is more common than not.

Right now, I just want keenum to finish this season well enough where the Texans are not feeling the need to reach for a QB early in the draft. He won't prove he is the true long tern answer playing for a team that is functionally (not mathematically) eliminated from the playoffs.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Exactly! He had 'jail break' protection today and performed admirably under those circumstances. Just imagine how this game would have looked with either of our other QBs in there?
Yeah? He's a tough cat for sure. However, what we don't know is - and this is Keenum's responsibility, too - did Case go over to the sidelines telling the coaches what he saw, saying, "Look, y'all, I'm getting killed out there; how about us dialing up some quick slants, or I can hit DJ on a few screens."

We don't know, do we? We DO know the brains trust didn't adjust.

Results!!!

Desert Cards - 27
Texan Tards - 24

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Thing is, 99 vikings drafted culpepper a yr after setting the nfl scoring record and a 15-1 record. They won 10 games , had 2 vets and still took a qb. I dont see whats wrong with that approach.
They had one 34 year old vet. Johnson was a backup they had already shown they didn't believe was a starter and who they replaced with Jeff George that same off-season.

silvrhand

All Pro
having tempered optimism is proper now. for those of us, who watched and remembered lots of football, a QB playing well for a half season or season then winding up being meh (or worse) is more common than not.

Right now, I just want keenum to finish this season well enough where the Texans are not feeling the need to reach for a QB early in the draft. He won't prove he is the true long tern answer playing for a team that is functionally (not mathematically) eliminated from the playoffs.
Yah Case took a step back this week, he had a couple passes that should have been picked off and he got lucky. I'm ok with getting lucky but then again I'd rather have skill. The last drive really confused me, I am not sure why he took two long shots down the field trying to win the game with one pass with over two minutes left.

I'm not sure if it's Case, or if it was the playcalling, but both passes were not even in bounds to even give the receiver a chance, so I can put that on Case.

We are just getting crushed with injuries as well.. We have a lot of holes to fill and not sure how we are going to move the cap around with both Matt gone, Ed Reed gone, and I'm worried that Cushing doesn't return to form, and now Arian with season ending back surgery... That's really going to be rough.

This town is cursed..

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Come on. His passing yards have gone from 271, up to 350, and down to 201. Can't forget the touchdowns. What do you expect him to have?
Keenum was a mess after the first quarter. He was very fortunate Arizona defenders couldn't catch the ball and his guys made plays. To his credit, though: it is his bravery and playmaking attitude that allows the possibility for some of that good fortune and the wide receivers have clearly been energized by him.

The protection and game adjustments by dennison were hideous. An experienced QB could have identified the blitzes better and helped the offense pick it up. Still, how surprising was it that Arizona brought pressure? What did they prepare for this week?... Kubiak looks better and better each passing week. Sadly, I am disappointed with dennison. I thought more of him as an offensive mind, play caller, and coordinator. Oops!

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Why did Dennis Johnson get benched? Tate was a mess in the 2nd half. I love his effort but I cringed watching him get hit and fall down. At 2-6 and with foster out for the year, we are still too uptight to play the 2nd string running back in the 3 rd quarter of a tight game when the 1st string back can't breathe without yelping in pain?

silvrhand

All Pro
Why did Dennis Johnson get benched? Tate was a mess in the 2nd half. I love his effort but I cringed watching him get hit and fall down. At 2-6 and with foster out for the year, we are still too uptight to play the 2nd string running back in the 3 rd quarter of a tight game when the 1st string back can't breathe without yelping in pain?
No idea, Tate in the second half was just hard to watch the medical team should have taken him out the game.. seriously..

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Keenum was a mess after the first quarter. He was very fortunate Arizona defenders couldn't catch the ball and his guys made plays. To his credit, though: it is his bravery and playmaking attitude that allows the possibility for some of that good fortune and the wide receivers have clearly been energized by him.

The protection and game adjustments by dennison were hideous. An experienced QB could have identified the blitzes better and helped the offense pick it up. Still, how surprising was it that Arizona brought pressure? What did they prepare for this week?... Kubiak looks better and better each passing week. Sadly, I am disappointed with dennison. I thought more of him as an offensive mind, play caller, and coordinator. Oops!
Not sure if u said it, but ive said the offense hasnt been the same since lil shanny left really. The quick slant and dome of thr other adjudtments are gone. Case is like alot of shorter qbs who get pressurr in his face. He started dropping his eyes and panic mode set in. Arizona has a good defense from front to back.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Actually it was jeff george and cunningham.
Thanks for repeating. I said they got rid of (traded) Johnson and brought George in to be Cunningham's backup.j It was on a one year deal, i.e. no factor in long range plans which would affect draft selection. They used the pick from the Johnson trade on Culpepper.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Not sure if u said it, but ive said the offense hasnt been the same since lil shanny left really. The quick slant and dome of thr other adjudtments are gone. Case is like alot of shorter qbs who get pressurr in his face. He started dropping his eyes and panic mode set in. Arizona has a good defense from front to back.
It is that complex interplay between coordinator and head coach... Kubiak needs that gunslinging wild man that he can corral but offers something fresh and out of the box-pushing Kobe's out of his comfort zone.

Vermeil admits this regarding marts. Jimmy and nirvana were great together because jimmy was always demanding the run, while nor was pushing the passing game and had to develop high percentage passing game to satisfy Jimmy's in your face, man vs. man approach. I think Kubiak and little shinny had some of that. While I like what dennison has done in the run game, our assign game is stale.

Good point. I could never see past little shanny's ankle tattoo of Chris Simms to appreciate him when he was here.

RunningTheSouth

Practice Squad
Yes the offensive line was terrible (see above), but knowing he is going to be under fire, Keenum has to handle it better. If he is going to be a winning NFL quarterback, he will have to come through in the fourth quarter, when most games are won and lost. AT UH, Keenum threw more touchdowns in the fourth quarter than he did in the first, and there were blowout games in which he didn’t even play much late. He finally got the Texans to their first second-half TD Sunday, thanks to being setup inside the 10 by a J.J. Watt fumble recovery. The Texans have lost three straight games with Keenum as the starter, by one, three and three points. Winning NFL quarterbacks come through after opponents make adjustments. The third-and-3 throw up the sideline on the next-to-last play was an awful decision by Keenum. He had Ben Tate wide open underneath at the first-down marker, and Tate would have been off to the races.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Personally, I'm hoping like hell that Case is the solution at QB. I'm pulling for him.
Can't wait to see what he looks like with a running game & a defense. I've seen enough on Case to not have to draft the next Blaine Gabbert. We just need to see where our biggest needs are & move forward.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
What we have seen from Keenum so far is promising. He has a nice arm and has shown off his ability to extend plays with his legs, either running for positive yardage or buying time to make a throw downfield. His weakness right now is clearly either recognizing the blitz pre snap, beating the blitz with quick passes and proper reads, or both. Securing the ball when he is hit has also shown itself to be something that he needs to work on. He tends to hold on to the ball until the very last second, which can result in both good and bad things.

Evaluating Keenum comes down to three things: a) is he better than Schaub or the best QB we have right now, b) is he good enough to be given a chance at the starting job next year, c) is he good enough to avoid drafting a QB high next year?

I think a) and b) have already been fulfilled. He's clearly offering us better QB play than what Schaub was offering. He has shown enough promise to be given a shot, if not be the frontrunner, for the starting job next year.

Where a lot of people are getting caught up is whether or not he is good enough to avoid drafting a QB high next year. People seem to have different mindsets when it comes to this. I think this is why you see a lot of people not so much expecting, but hoping to see Case play like a veteran. We see a lot of people saying "give him some time" and that's absolutely fair, but people are really just trying to determine if we can bank on this guy to be the future. People who are criticizing Case's play are trying to figure out this issue.

The way I see it, Case would have to dominate for me not to be interested in a QB high in next year's draft. It's almost not fair to him, as he is just a rookie with little experience, but it's just the reality of the situation. Vinny and ArlingtonTexan bring up good points in that there are guys who flash for a half of a season or so and then regress. We can't afford to go another season with poor QB play/poor QB options.

Right now, I think we need to look at drafting a QB high and let Case and that QB battle it out in training camp next year. I'd bet that Keenum would win that battle and probably should be given the opportunity to start the season next year at QB. Still, it would be nice to have another young option to groom or turn to if Keenum plays poorly. Worst case scenario is that both players don't have what it takes, best case scenario is that we have two strong assets at QB. Atleast in this scenario, we have some options.

silvrhand

All Pro
What we have seen from Keenum so far is promising. He has a nice arm and has shown off his ability to extend plays with his legs, either running for positive yardage or buying time to make a throw downfield. His weakness right now is clearly either recognizing the blitz pre snap, beating the blitz with quick passes and proper reads, or both. Securing the ball when he is hit has also shown itself to be something that he needs to work on. He tends to hold on to the ball until the very last second, which can result in both good and bad things.

Evaluating Keenum comes down to three things: a) is he better than Schaub or the best QB we have right now, b) is he good enough to be given a chance at the starting job next year, c) is he good enough to avoid drafting a QB high next year?

I think a) and b) have already been fulfilled. He's clearly offering us better QB play than what Schaub was offering. He has shown enough promise to be given a shot, if not be the frontrunner, for the starting job next year.

Where a lot of people are getting caught up is whether or not he is good enough to avoid drafting a QB high next year. People seem to have different mindsets when it comes to this. I think this is why you see a lot of people not so much expecting, but hoping to see Case play like a veteran. We see a lot of people saying "give him some time" and that's absolutely fair, but people are really just trying to determine if we can bank on this guy to be the future. People who are criticizing Case's play are trying to figure out this issue.

The way I see it, Case would have to dominate for me not to be interested in a QB high in next year's draft. It's almost not fair to him, as he is just a rookie with little experience, but it's just the reality of the situation. Vinny and ArlingtonTexan bring up good points in that there are guys who flash for a half of a season or so and then regress. We can't afford to go another season with poor QB play/poor QB options.

Right now, I think we need to look at drafting a QB high and let Case and that QB battle it out in training camp next year. I'd bet that Keenum would win that battle and probably should be given the opportunity to start the season next year at QB. Still, it would be nice to have another young option to groom or turn to if Keenum plays poorly. Worst case scenario is that both players don't have what it takes, best case scenario is that we have two strong assets at QB. Atleast in this scenario, we have some options.
exactly, 1000% agree great post.

Hervoyel

BUENO!

The only problem I see with that is if you draft that young QB in the first round and then he goes to camp and Case beats him out of the starting job then you've kind of wasted an opportunity to add either help for Watt on the defense or protection for Case on the OL. This QB class is supposed to be deep. Well if that's true then try to get another 2 and see if you can snag one of them in the second round.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The only problem I see with that is if you draft that young QB in the first round and then he goes to camp and Case beats him out of the starting job then you've kind of wasted an opportunity to add either help for Watt on the defense or protection for Case on the OL. This QB class is supposed to be deep. Well if that's true then try to get another 2 and see if you can snag one of them in the second round.
right, but you know how it typically goes for houston sports....we pass on this player at a position of need b/c it was a deep draft at that position & select someone at the same position later in the draft....only to realize in hindsight we screwed up.....:wadepalm:

My thinking is if 1 of the top qb prospects is there, we have to take him regardless of what Case does.....Im thinking, the new coaching regime will think so too...;)

Rey

At this point I'm not looking at qb's in the first round. There will have to be a prospect that blows me away fore to consider a qb.

I say that because case has shown good skills for a young qb making his third start. I am not sure that any of these other qb's besides Bridgewater would be significantly better. And I don't even know if he's that guy either.

At this point I'm more interested in the OL, and DL/OLB's

Give case another year and if he fails give up whatever you need for Jameis Winston. Now if he was in this draft, he's a guy id refuse to pass up.

But right now I don't see a player I WANT. I see some guys I'd be taking because common thought says it's the right thing to do.

Give me a guy like clowney, Matthews or even nix and I'd be happy.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
If HOU secures a top 3 pick and Mariota is available he is a no brainer, way better than Keenum. Otherwise you take Clowney and line him up next to Watt and enjoy the show.

No way you burn a 1st on a RT or G.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
A second rounder would be fine. By high pick, I mean somewhere in the top two rounds. I think Case has done enough that we don't have to reach.

At this point I'm not looking at qb's in the first round. There will have to be a prospect that blows me away fore to consider a qb.

I say that because case has shown good skills for a young qb making his third start. I am not sure that any of these other qb's besides Bridgewater would be significantly better. And I don't even know if he's that guy either.

At this point I'm more interested in the OL, and DL/OLB's

Give case another year and if he fails give up whatever you need for Jameis Winston. Now if he was in this draft, he's a guy id refuse to pass up.

But right now I don't see a player I WANT. I see some guys I'd be taking because common thought says it's the right thing to do.

Give me a guy like clowney, Matthews or even nix and I'd be happy.
The problem with trying to get Winston is that everybody else will be too. If he keeps playing the way he's playing, nobody in their right mind is going to trade out of that spot.

Last edited:

eriadoc

Texan-American
This is the only part of your post I disagree with. Right now, you let things play out. He's got a ten game audition to see if they end up where you're talking about. The fact that it's a deep QB class with no top end elite prospects may allow you to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round, if Keenum shows he can be the front runner for the job next year. If you have doubts that he can be after ten games, then you draft in the first round and pray I'm wrong about these QBs being unimpressive.

Either way, there should be a true competition, and either way, Keenum should get the audition. Be happy he's getting the audition. What if he only got a couple games at the end of the year? Then we would know even less about him.

Yaky

Noob
If HOU secures a top 3 pick and Mariota is available he is a no brainer, way better than Keenum. Otherwise you take Clowney and line him up next to Watt and enjoy the show.

No way you burn a 1st on a RT or G.
LOL Mariota was exposed vs Stanford. First good defense, and he sucked. 0 points when it mattered, garbage time TDs. The OL is the problem, not Keenum