Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

At this point, with 7 games left and what I've seen, I'm still picking a QB in round one if there's one there I like. Could things change after 7 games? You bet, but haven't seen much to keep me from drafting a new "franchise QB".

That said, our entire LB corps is horrible. Watt and a bit of Smith is our entire front 7 and that's sad, imo

LOL Mariota was exposed vs Stanford. First good defense, and he sucked. 0 points when it mattered, garbage time TDs. The OL is the problem, not Keenum

Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Nice job of minimizing his body of work into 1 game. Lol do you even watch college football?

Most mocks have HOU slotted around 7 at which point they select Johnny Football, but he sucks too because he lost to Alabama.

Oh yea and Mariota played that game with a knee sprain in case you didn't know.

A second rounder would be fine. By high pick, I mean somewhere in the top two rounds. I think Case has done enough that we don't have to reach.

The problem with trying to get Winston is that everybody else will be too. If he keeps playing the way he's playing, nobody in their right mind is going to trade out of that spot.

My point is that he is the type of qb that I wouldn't pass on just because keenum is here. Currently, I don't feel that way about any qb that is coming out this year.

Edit: and actually, If a team already has their franchise qb they may be willing to trade. If a team takes a top 10 qb this year and ends up in position to grab him next year they would likely trade for more assets to put around their top qb they already have. If Jacksonville grabs bridgewater, and he plays well as a rookie but their team still sucks, they'd likely be willing to trade down.

My point is that he is the type of qb that I wouldn't pass on just because keenum is here. Currently, I don't feel that way about any qb that is coming out this year.

Edit: and actually, If a team already has their franchise qb they may be willing to trade. If a team takes a top 10 qb this year and ends up in position to grab him next year they would likely trade for more assets to put around their top qb they already have. If Jacksonville grabs bridgewater, and he plays well as a rookie but their team still sucks, they'd likely be willing to trade down.

On your edit, that's true. Problem is that you are also competing with all the other teams who fall in love with him.

I agree with your overall point, to an extent. I'm not in love with any of the QBs in this draft and wouldn't reach on them early if there is another player at a need position that is rated higher. Particularly at RT or a front 7 player. I think Bridgewater is probably the top prospect, but I can't fall in love with a guy that has only played against one big time defense.

right, but you know how it typically goes for houston sports....we pass on this player at a position of need b/c it was a deep draft at that position & select someone at the same position later in the draft....only to realize in hindsight we screwed up.....:wadepalm:

My thinking is if 1 of the top qb prospects is there, we have to take him regardless of what Case does.....Im thinking, the new coaching regime will think so too...;)

I like this idea except, The Texans probably would have won that game yesterday if we only had an offensive line. We have QB right now who can do the job. We need RT (really any and every OL position), OLB, ILB, CB, DL. I think we go with position of need .

I like this idea except, The Texans probably would have won that game yesterday if we only had an offensive line. We have QB right now who can do the job. We need RT (really any and every OL position), OLB, ILB, CB, DL. I think we go with position of need .

Well, if we're playing the "if" game.....

I just don't see how anyone can look at this team & seriously assume we win any of our last 7 games if we just had better play at 1 position.

The only game you could make a case for that is the seattle game where the game was pretty much in the bag until the Schaub pick 6. All the rest of these games we've lost we've had a multitude of issues from multiple areas that have collectively cost us & prevented us from winning.

Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Nice job of minimizing his body of work into 1 game. Lol do you even watch college football?

Most mocks have HOU slotted around 7 at which point they select Johnny Football, but he sucks too because he lost to Alabama.

Oh yea and Mariota played that game with a knee sprain in case you didn't know.

LOL you talk about watching football? Manziel just destroyed Alabama's D for close to 600 yards, not his fault his D is garbage.

Mariota got destroyed by a good D, the first one he faced. He beat some scrub teams, should I be impressed by that? Knee sprain yeah, good excuse for how he was owned by the first good D he faced. NFL defences are better than Stanford's D, Mariota will have a knee spain in every game.

I just don't see how anyone can look at this team & seriously assume we win any of our last 7 games if we just had better play at 1 position.

The only game you could make a case for that is the seattle game where the game was pretty much in the bag until the Schaub pick 6. All the rest of these games we've lost we've had a multitude of issues from multiple areas that have collectively cost us & prevented us from winning.

Can't argue with that. It's just true.

On average I think Case is playing as well or better than Matt but the end result has been the same because obviously QB wasn't the only place where we were having problems. It was (as is its nature) just the most visible place where we were having problems. QB problems are fixed more or less. The rest are still there or getting worse in some cases.

Now that I think about it I think that the biggest problem I have with Matt and probably the biggest reason why Case looks so good to me is Gary's offense. For years I've watched that slow, plodding unit in that clunky system matriculate its way down the field and score (sometimes) and while I could rationalize that we were eating clock and getting points (sometimes) I hated watching it. It has been dull and it has been predictable and even when it's effective it isn't something I enjoy. It's an offense you endure.

When Case went in Gary's offense stopped looking like Gary's offense. Now I don't know if it was the personnel running it or the way the OC (HC) was calling it but it stopped looking like that.

Matt Schaub, whether it is his fault or not carries the frustration and anger of thousands of Texans fans who are sick of watching this boring ass football team try to keep up with dynamic and aggressive 21st century offenses. The Saints blasted Dallas last night to the tune of 49 points and led 28-10 at the half. They never took their foot off the gas. We watch the Texans (in good times and bad) charge out of the gate and then go completely play-it-safe while momentum changes and teams come roaring back.

It's frustrating and we want it to stop. Gary seems to be impervious to being fired so we watch Matt go out there and run the machine. When he finally falters all of that pours out on him. When his replacement makes the offense seem different and exciting we all praise him. It's about so much more than Matt vs. Case though. One is the poster child for change and we here in Houston are ready for something to change. The other represents what we want to be rid of.

I hear ya Hervy.......I'd be much more excited for Case and our future if we had a different HC coach.

I just think he's ultimately doomed to be mediocore if Kubiak sticks around & keeps him locked in this antiquated offense.

If we didn't have Newton at RT I think I can make a "Case" (get it?) that we would have won yesterday and might have still had a chance in the KC game.

Question(s) here for anyone who has the All 22 package or just more insight than I have (which should be just about anyone):

Keenum's getting blitzed like crazy and getting knocked around quite a bit. He's done some good things and some bad things under duress. If the Texans ever managed to get home on their blitzes like other teams do against the Texans, how do you think that QB would hold up? And why is it that other teams blitz successfully, but the Texans look like they're sending 6 guys to run into a wall? The Texans blitzed just as much as the Cards did yesterday, but it almost never reached Palmer.

LOL Mariota was exposed vs Stanford. First good defense, and he sucked. 0 points when it mattered, garbage time TDs. The OL is the problem, not Keenum

Exactly, give Case an oline and a running game with the receivers we have and Katy bar the door!

Very true!

I hate the guy and have wanted him fired for a long time, but with that said, think about this...

No HC trusts a rookie QB. Which is why in the KC game we saw the usual "play it safe Kubiak". Run, run, 3rd and long.... run. Case still looked solid on those few chances he got to pass and made things happen. Regardless, most HC's aren't going to green light a first time starter to have a shoot out against the REAL #1 defense (not the Texans fake #1 defense that frequently gives up 50+ yard PIs that don't show up in the stat sheets).

Moving forward... week 2 w/ Case happens.

1st half - He sets the F'ing world on fire if you're a Texans fan. You're screaming, high fiving everyone that will high five you, and have your fingers crossed you've found the answer. Halftime - Kubiak stroke. 2nd half - Egg is laid

Moving forward.... week 3 w/ Case

ZERO balance! Any idiot can see we need to run the ball and set up play action. Why the hell is a rookie QB throwing 43 times against a tough defense??

The question I'm wondering today... is Kubiak what this team needs? What would have happened if Kubiak didn't have that stroke at halftime? Would we have had a better run/pass balance and continued to look good like we did the first half of game 2? Or would we have laid the same egg? Would he have been pleased enough with Case's progress to expand the playbook more in week 3?

I agree though about the keeping the foot on the neck comments, always had a huge issue with the whole killing the clock and praying our overrated defense holds onto the W.

First let me say I'm not "old school" I'm Jurassic school. It never occured to me to use that emocon thing to indicate sarcasum.

Someone mention Tate being open on one of the blitzes. Unless he was the first read, Keenum didn't have time for much more than one read. The obvious answer in several comments is the quick slant or out pattern. I wonder if Case wasn't reading that they were sitting on that for an interception, much like Schaub. If they're blitzing 5 or 6 and sitting on the quick pass, one answer is to try and hit a quick deeper route. It seems maybe this was how Case was reading it. Even though Case was in trouble he kept us in the game by not throwing the interception (some luck in that). This is a huge plus in his game capability.

I've seen enough of Case that I'm with the school of thought that we don't draft QB and depending on draft might would consider trading down for additional picks. We really need a serious upgrade in talent.

LOL you talk about watching football? Manziel just destroyed Alabama's D for close to 600 yards, not his fault his D is garbage.

Mariota got destroyed by a good D, the first one he faced. He beat some scrub teams, should I be impressed by that? Knee sprain yeah, good excuse for how he was owned by the first good D he faced. NFL defences are better than Stanford's D, Mariota will have a knee spain in every game.

I agree. I've seen a lot of power house offenses come out of Oregon over the years, but haven't seen that many quality pros (on offensive side of the ball).

Unless we are talking about maybe Kellen Clemens who basically handed it off to Tavon Austin to get credited for 2 TDs and almost 150 yards.

And throw out Kyle Long, he's a Long, they are all good.

Last thing... don't forget, after losses every offensive player that didn't play well has a knee sprain or some other sort of ailment that EVERY OTHER football player has.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...s-best-quarterback-in-college-football-102413

I obviously cherry picked but the numbers are all there. #1 in QBR and 0 interceptions stands out. I don't buy into system QBs who put up huge numbers in pass first offenses, Oregon leads the nation in rush yards per game. Johnny is an exciting "backyard" qb no doubt, but if you want a prototype guy who just so happens to be adept at running the dual threat system then you go Mariota, no question. Stanford had a brilliant gameplan and their defense isn't push overs so gauging your assessment on 1 game is ridiculous.

I hate the guy and have wanted him fired for a long time, but with that said, think about this...

No HC trusts a rookie QB. Which is why in the KC game we saw the usual "play it safe Kubiak". Run, run, 3rd and long.... run. Case still looked solid on those few chances he got to pass and made things happen. Regardless, most HC's aren't going to green light a first time starter to have a shoot out against the REAL #1 defense (not the Texans fake #1 defense that frequently gives up 50+ yard PIs that don't show up in the stat sheets).

Moving forward... week 2 w/ Case happens.

1st half - He sets the F'ing world on fire if you're a Texans fan. You're screaming, high fiving everyone that will high five you, and have your fingers crossed you've found the answer. Halftime - Kubiak stroke. 2nd half - Egg is laid

Moving forward.... week 3 w/ Case

ZERO balance! Any idiot can see we need to run the ball and set up play action. Why the hell is a rookie QB throwing 43 times against a tough defense??
The question I'm wondering today... is Kubiak what this team needs? What would have happened if Kubiak didn't have that stroke at halftime? Would we have had a better run/pass balance and continued to look good like we did the first half of game 2? Or would we have laid the same egg? Would he have been pleased enough with Case's progress to expand the playbook more in week 3?

I agree though about the keeping the foot on the neck comments, always had a huge issue with the whole killing the clock and praying our overrated defense holds onto the W.

Can't help but see that quote from Dennison about how Kubiak shoots down his wacky ideas. Maybe that was just some BS he says to polish Kubes knob in the press or maybe he really is an ex-linebacker who doesn't have nearly the grasp of running a balanced offense that Gary has? Who knows. Just makes me wonder.

Maybe the Texans are knowing this season is basicaly a wash but are evaluating Keenum to see what he's got :spy: :kitten:

And if they like what they see. Then it should make people happy when Schaub is released :truck:

Peyton lost his 1st 3starts, just saying...

Keenums 1st 3 were all winnable as well

Here's Manning's stat line for his 1st 3 games.

Code:
Score	Att	Com	Pct	Yards	Yds/Att	Long	Td	Int	QB Rating
15-24	37	21	56.8	302	8.2	42	1	3	58.6
06-29	33	21	63.6	188	5.7	22	1	3	51.1
06-44	44	20	45.5	193	4.4	22	0	2	39.3

This came up in another thread in the mock draft forum so:

Just thought I would look into this for perspective. Didn't want to argue over true franchise QB and so went with Hall of Fame + 2 we know will go.

Staubach 3 W
Aikman 3 L
Elway 2 W, 1 L - LOL, in the 2 wins he had 10 completions total, 1 in his 1st game.
Kelly 1 W, 2 L
Favre 1 W, 2 L
Manning 3 L
Marino 3 L
Brady 2 W, 1 L
Bradshaw 3 L
Young 1 W, 2 L
Montana 3 L

Total 10 W, 23 L

Draw from that what you will.

This is the only part of your post I disagree with. Right now, you let things play out. He's got a ten game audition to see if they end up where you're talking about. The fact that it's a deep QB class with no top end elite prospects may allow you to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round, if Keenum shows he can be the front runner for the job next year. If you have doubts that he can be after ten games, then you draft in the first round and pray I'm wrong about these QBs being unimpressive.

Either way, there should be a true competition, and either way, Keenum should get the audition. Be happy he's getting the audition. What if he only got a couple games at the end of the year? Then we would know even less about him.

You're not wrong.. people are getting too hung up over "it's a deep QB draft" like it's a draft littered with multiple franchise guys.. There is no Andrew Luck clear cut favorite in this draft. There is no "bona fide franchise QB" in this draft. (There is no QB in this coming draft that is going to come close to putting up the production that Case has in his first 3 starts) I even think Bridgewater will fall on his face and I hope the Jags draft him. He has a elongated release that will cause him problems at the next level. Just looking at the gallery here, there is no 10s in this draft.. just a crap load of 7s and the drop off from 1st to 3rd round is not going to be that great.

The Texans are NOT going to spend a first round pick on a QB if Case just maintains his current play. They have too many holes to fill elsewhere. What they need to do if they get a top 5 pick and Clowney isn't there is look for a sucker to trade back with, pick up extra draft picks and rebuild along the trenches and front 7 (LBers).. If they do want to add to the QB position they can later in the draft as they'll be plenty of options with little drop off.

The last thing this team needs is to spend a first round pick on a QB, they aren't getting beat at the QB position. what they need is big uglies, because they're getting their ass whipped along both lines. Wade blitzes more than just about every other team.. outside of Watt how much pressure did you see? NONE. On the other side.. how good was the protection when they other team brought the house? NOT GOOD. You build from the inside out and right now we're bleeding out from our insides.

The fact that it's a deep QB class with no top end elite prospects may allow you to draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round, if Keenum shows he can be the front runner for the job next year. If you have doubts that he can be after ten games, then you draft in the first round and pray I'm wrong about these QBs being unimpressive.

If the Texans believe the QB prospects are not top end talent the last thing I want them doing is making another mistake by forcing a 1st round pick. The last thing we need is a Blaine Gabbert just to make people feel cozy that they were trying. They should pick the dog with the least fleas who comes with the best value.

If you think players like Wilson,Kap,RG3,Newton etc are franchise QBs then .most certainly this draft is chock full of talent, and even more so with the style change at the position in the NFL.

leebigeztx said:
Peyton also took over a team coming off 2 wins not 12.
and was a true rookie who had the whole playbook thrown at him too...not the case with Keenum...apples to oranges my friends.
It is apples to oranges. Peyton also came into his first camp as the full fledged starter. He had all the first team reps in camp and preseason. He was able to build some chemistry. Keenum wasn't considered a "sure thing" 1st round pick. He was an UDFA, practice squaded his first year & ended up 3rd string in his second. He didn't get many, if any, reps with the first team over his 2 camps. He wasn't even getting many second team reps until 3 days prior to his first start. What he's done is pretty amazing. He's on pace for over 4000 yards & 37 TDs for a full season. If he continues even close to this, how could anyone doubt he should be the starter next season?

Since his first start keenum has at least given us a shot to win games. That's something we hadn't been getting consistently. The qb play is better.

But more importantly it's a step forward. Whether keenum is the guy or not, we know that it's important to get more from that position. The team can now also zone in on other issues and not have to keep defending Matt. Quietly part ways in the off season and move on.

and was a true rookie who had the whole playbook thrown at him too...not the case with Keenum...apples to oranges my friends.

For all intents and purposes Kennum is a rookie, he basically just ran the scout team as a practice squad player and didn't get snaps with the ones until he was a starter

I'm not going to think about the wins and losses because that is more on the team than just simply Case. More than anything I see a lack of adjustments at halftime in comparison to the opposing sideline that seems to make better adjustments to what we're doing than our coaching staff.

But in any case (no pun intended), Case has performed rather well for what is essentially a rookie. You don't truely expect your rookie quarterbacks to light the world on fire. It's a rare chance that they do and for all of Case's performances thus far it has been more than admirable. That means there is something to develop. We are talking someone who was playing safety not too long ago on the practice squad. A full offseason w/coaches and working with the starters, etc., could go a long way.

Now that isn't saying I think he's our future as I still think it's a question mark. But at this point he's stepping closer and closer to that point I think. Still got a bit to go til we know for certain though but what he has displayed is at least promising. If the season was over now I would still draft a QB no later than the 3rd round but Case has a chance to solidify his opportunity w/ the remaining season.

3 games and he still making the same mistakes. First half he looks great, until team the second half comes around and teams start blizting crazy. Until he can make the adjustment and make the hot reads we will continue to lose. Point blank. You can name all the "all-pro/pro bowl" players we're missing that you want, but that's just excuses. If Case can just adjust to the blitz and get the ball out to the hot reads, then we win the last 3 games easily.

3 games and he still making the same mistakes. First half he looks great, until team the second half comes around and teams start blizting crazy. Until he can make the adjustment and make the hot reads we will continue to lose. Point blank. You can name all the "all-pro/pro bowl" players we're missing that you want, but that's just excuses. If Case can just adjust to the blitz and get the ball out to the hot reads, then we win the last 3 games easily.

Spot on, Case needs to be fired. Why aren't we playing Matt Schaub!!!!!!!!!! :kitten:

Keenum isn't the only one who needs to make adjustments to the blitz.

I think our coaches use the half time for the "kids" to take potty breaks.

:coffee:

This is an adjustment the coaches need to make first and foremost. It is the offensive coordinator/QB coach's job to get with their QB and receivers about this. If it's a vet quarterback a lot more is on his shoulders. Case is basically a rookie. If your coaches don't help him here in adjustments then he is screwed.

Not sure why folks seem to think he should be playing the part of a 10 year vet or something. Be realistic.

Question(s) here for anyone who has the All 22 package or just more insight than I have (which should be just about anyone):

Keenum's getting blitzed like crazy and getting knocked around quite a bit. He's done some good things and some bad things under duress. If the Texans ever managed to get home on their blitzes like other teams do against the Texans, how do you think that QB would hold up? And why is it that other teams blitz successfully, but the Texans look like they're sending 6 guys to run into a wall? The Texans blitzed just as much as the Cards did yesterday, but it almost never reached Palmer.

I want to use your post as a springboard first, then I'll give my opinion on us blitzing/ vs. the blitz.

First, every qb makes mistakes. My biggest issue with Schaub was that he mad far too many mistakes that he didn't have the ability to make up for. He wasn't nearly good enough to be throwing pick 6's every week.

So far keenum hasn't made those type of mistakes (but he has come close/made other kinds of errors) but he's making some plays. For his first three games he's been impressive, but I know folks are going to pile on every little mistake he makes which is just asinine for several reasons.

As far as blitz pick up goes, being short is going to hurt case. It's tough, but that's life. Short qb's sometimes have their los blocked by big guys being pushed around in front of them. So they want to escape the pocket so they can see. Brees is really good at finding lanes to see through and stepping up into them though. But even he needs to make quick throws against up the gut pressure. But that takes chemistry and time to develop. If you're going to throw to a guy draped in coverage both of the wr and qb need to be on the same page.

Ball placement is extremely important. Timing. The WR actually knowing the ball is coming and where it'll likely be placed. The qb needs to develop this kind of trust with some his blitz beating targets. A slot receiver, a TE. His number one WR. All of the wr's. You see manning and brees and Brady and Rogers make those dazzling throws where there guy is covered well...that's the level of chemistry we need our qb to develop...the confidence and ability to actually make those types of throws on a somewhat regular basis.

Regarding us blitzing other teams...from an offensive perspective a whole lot less worried about your blitz if your main pass rushers don't scare me. If I have to pass off brooks reed to pick up Daryl sharpton, I'm not worried about that at all. Now if I have to pass off jj watt to pick up Brian Cushing...now you have my attention.

The problem is we only have one watt and right now, no Cushing. No other player is even close to those two. Antonio is ok, but that's it. We have watt, an ok player. Maybe some other ok guys but for the most part we don't have many plus pass rushers.

Long story short simply sending a blitz is not enough. You actually need the players to make the blitz work. You have to have players that put stress on blockers.

Missing your starting RB and having your back up playing with broken ribs isn't an excuse. It turns you one dimensional and allows defenses to pin the ears back and tee off. Your running backs are also pivotal in blitz pick ups.

Does Case need to do a better job with the blitz, absolutely, but to expect him to magically get it and start punishing Defenses for blitzing in in his first 3 games as a starting QB is unrealistic. The OL and RBs need to help in this regard too.

You probably learn your football from madden or something.

Playing on the easiest level at that.

If it was as simple as making a hot read and throwing it, everyone would do it.

How dumb do you think nfl d coordinators are? They blitz to make you throw quick. The corners sit on those short hot routes. Lb's drop in short zones hoping you don't see them and throw that slant in there.

This is not something that is easily picked up in your third start especially when you haven't even been given the reps as a starter for any significant amount of time.

The top qb's in the league still get confused and best by the blitz at times. And you think case, with all the circumstances surrounding him, should be beating the cardinals blitz (one if the better more talented defenses in the league) like clockwork?

Your expectations are not grounded in reality.

You probably learn your football from madden or something.

Playing on the easiest level at that.

If it was as simple as making a hot read and throwing it, everyone would do it.

How dumb do you think nfl d coordinators are? They blitz to make you throw quick. The corners sit on those short hot routes. Lb's drop in short zones hoping you don't see them and throw that slant in there.

This is not something that is easily picked up in your third start especially when you haven't even been given the reps as a starter for any significant amount of time.

The top qb's in the league still get confused and best by the blitz at times. And you think case, with all the circumstances surrounding him, should be beating the cardinals blitz (one if the better more talented defenses in the league) like clockwork?

Your expectations are not grounded in reality.

Well said

Funny how a legitimate criticism of Keenum gets deflected and thrown the OL and coaches direction.

So Case can quick fade for a TD unscripted, but then he needs the coaches to hold his hand when the blitz is obvious?

Isn't there a deep route on most plass plays, as well as the hot route? If everyone on the D is staying in close, covering all the short routes, shouldn't that leave a one-on-one option deep? I know he doesn't have much time in the pocket, but I'm picturing a lob pass, probably down a side-line.

I guess that would take some precision timing with the receiver(s).

Funny how a legitimate criticism of Keenum gets deflected and thrown the OL and coaches direction.

So Case can quick fade for a TD unscripted, but then he needs the coaches to hold his hand when the blitz is obvious?

I can only speak from personal point of view, but blaming Case alone for blitz issues isn't fair. That's a team issue. The OL needs to provide at least some time and the RBs need to pick up the proper man, both of which hasn't happened enough. And, yes, Case needs to improve as well, but it's just his third game as starter. He was 3rd string which means up to a couple weeks ago he wasn't getting a ton of practice reps. I think too many people are placing unrealistic expectations on a young player

Back