Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
The question has to be does Keenum still look good once teams have tape on him. Tj Yates did until the tape began to tell the tale...

8 weeks to learn on the job, a mid-round flyer is required at the very least to push him and cement a decent backup, possibly a first round starter still.

The kids done as well as he could have so far but the tests will get harder the more tape there is. Our O does look very different all of a sudden and hell need to adjust as opposing Ds adjust to him.
TJ Yates never did what Case did. TJ threw about 150 yards per game with a 80 rating and a 45 QBR. Case is throwing for about 300 yards per game with a 118 rating and a 75 QBR.

In his second game, TJ Yates went 26/44 for 300 yards for 2 TDs and 1 INT and a rating of 85.4 and YPA of 6.82. Case went 20/34 for 350 yards for 3 TDs and a rating of 123.4 and a YPA of 10.29. They are throwing entirely different types of passes.

Yeah... when they get some tape on Case, it might be a problem. Maybe they'll figure him out. But. Case and TJ are in two totally different worlds.

Scooter

Funky
what makes me positively giddy is that you couldnt walk over and hand andre the ball in a better spot. the only one slightly off is the second, where andre stalls for a beat, not expecting his quarterback to have the guts and accuracy to drop one onto the baseline over a defender. this happened all game, with MAYBE 2 passes that werent in an ideal location. the accuracy, especially on deep balls is just uncanny.

ThaJokaa

True Texans Fan
what makes me positively giddy is that you couldnt walk over and hand andre the ball in a better spot. the only one slightly off is the second, where andre stalls for a beat, not expecting his quarterback to have the guts and accuracy to drop one onto the baseline over a defender. this happened all game, with MAYBE 2 passes that werent in an ideal location. the accuracy, especially on deep balls is just uncanny.
He hesitated cuz he so used to Noodle Arm under throwing him...

I think the Fade couldve been thrown a little better, cuz had the CB not slipped or jump early its either a pick or an incomplete

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Keenum's team now. I think next we need to figure out what other position besides QB we spend that first round pick on....
Two spots for me - RT and NT. Fix those and it fixes a lot of other things in the process.

(Oh and a damn kicker!)

speedfreek

All Pro
>The question has to be does Keenum still look good once teams have tape on him. Tj Yates did until the tape began to tell the tale...

I will have my answer after the New England game...

Belichick pulled down Gary's pants twice because he attacked Schaub
in the best way possible to wreck the style of offense we play.

If, by some miracle, Dennison turns out to be a legitimate play caller
and Keenum either wins -- or puts us in a position to win -- then
I think we will know he can compete down the road as a starter in
the league..

TJ

Scooter

Funky
I think the Fade couldve been thrown a little better, cuz had the CB not slipped or jump early its either a pick or an incomplete
it sure is fun to be nit-picking an endzone fade touchdown to andre though isnt it? lol. it's too bad we havent been judging andre's touchdowns the last 10 years because noone else will make that throw.

i know we lost, and i took it pretty hard last night, but seeing these .gifs today has just reminded me that it's going to be ok in the end. keenum's the real deal, we're only missing a tackle on offense, and the defense will rebound next year with some much overdue moves.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
it sure is fun to be nit-picking an endzone fade touchdown to andre though isnt it? lol. it's too bad we havent been judging andre's touchdowns the last 10 years because noone else will make that throw.

i know we lost, and i took it pretty hard last night, but seeing these .gifs today has just reminded me that it's going to be ok in the end. keenum's the real deal, we're only missing a tackle on offense, and the defense will rebound next year with some much overdue moves.
They should have had that game in the bag .... that strip fumble that was ruled in the grasp sucked balls as did that call that went against AJ late resulting in a freaking 19 yard punt by Lechler.

Toss in three missed FG's by some liquored up kicker .... ugh.

ThaJokaa

True Texans Fan

Yeah no lie, almost go into it last night with some Colts "fans" at a bar in midtown

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Schaub has been a problem, but people didn't want to akboeledfe it because he had some nice stats.
It's not that we didn't want to akboeledfe it. It's that you don't just replace your starting QB unless he was playing like Mark Sanchez & even then, Rex had to set him up to get hurt in the preseason.

Draft Schaub's replacement? Yeah, that made sense & should have been done. But since they did not, it lead me to believe they already had Schaub's replacement on the roster.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Ninja on Keenum:

"That gets me excited more than anything," veteran Texans defensive end Antonio Smith says. "To see the adjustments he made after just one week. You can just see how hard he prepared. He didn't let the blitzes that got to him in Kansas City get to him again.

"He knew where to get rid of the ball this time. He made them pay when they blitzed this time. He hit them deep."
Link.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the link. Something that a blind squirrel should have by now figured out.
It was too bad that the Texans extended Schaub too early last year.
I don't know what their policy is regarding the situation, but it would have been nice to make Schaub really compete for the starting job in camp this year.
If he wins the job, then they can extent him.
Depending on the competition in TC, they could be in a better bargaining position, too.

The other thing is that I've seen Keenum ran the PA pass from under center, in the I formation in his freshman year, and he did it well, too.
I wonder if they even bother to go back all the way for those game tapes or not.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Profootball Focus dissect the PA pass from Schaub to Keenum:

Scroll down to the second part of the article.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/06/analysis-notebook-week-9-3/
Yes, every day there's a new article online singing Keenum's praises...and rightfully so! It's funny, but generally in ever article the writer takes a pretty big stab at Schaub. Rightfully so? Probably. His days are numbered. Take Schaub's Wikipedia page for instance:

Despite recovering from an injured ankle, Schaub was benched in week 7 in favor of Case Keenum who threw touchdown passes instead of interceptions. Case Keenum is expected to be the Texan's started for the remainder of the season.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub#2013_season

Cold blooded! :crutch:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yes, every day there's a new article online singing Keenum's praises...and rightfully so! It's funny, but generally in ever article the writer takes a pretty big stab at Schaub. Rightfully so? Probably. His days are numbered. Take Schaub's Wikipedia page for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub#2013_season

Cold blooded! :crutch:
I think it was due to Kubiak's decision not to bench Schaub earlier.
The backlash, IMO, wouldn't have been that bad if not for the last pick-six.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see where Andre was when Case released that ball, and also the proximity of the safety at that time.
Bethea was looking to see which way AJ was going to go; Keenum saw him turning his head (ie., he can't see where the ball goes) and let it fly.

Either AJ was going to get it, or it's an overthrown ball; no chance for Bethea to make a play on the ball.
Smart play by Keenum.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
I like it how Case leads the NFL in yards per pass attempt at 10.5, he is the only QB in the NFL in double digits, the next closest player is Aaron rogers with a 8.8 yards per pass attempt.

He is also 4th in passing yards per game at 311 yards per game.

He is also 3rd in the NFL in QB rating at 118

NOT A bad start to his career.

speedfreek

All Pro
>I like it how Case leads the NFL in yards per pass attempt at 10.5, he is the only QB in the NFL in double digits, the next closest player is Aaron rogers with a 8.8 yards per pass attempt.

Even if he finishes the season just inside the top 10 in all categories
(which means he falls off a little over the next 8 games) it would
be a pretty remarkable start!

After all, the guy has only had 1 season of PS study, and 4 weeks
of reps with the starters.

That's whats mind boggling to me. It's not as if he was pegged the
starter for being a high draft pick. He is literally having to develop
timing with the 1's midseason!

TJ

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm very curious to see how teams are going to defend Case for the rest of this season (hopefully Kubiak doesn't have a brain fart and put Schaub back in). They have some film on him and can probably start to see some tendencies.

I hope we can run the ball well enough that D's can't play a safety as a center fielder and have a LB spy Case. :evil:

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
I'm very curious to see how teams are going to defend Case for the rest of this season (hopefully Kubiak doesn't have a brain fart and put Schaub back in). They have some film on him and can probably start to see some tendencies.

I hope we can run the ball well enough that D's can't play a safety as a center fielder and have a LB spy Case. :evil:
Yeah but the thing is it is easy to game plan against a guy like Schaub, he is limited, but its not as easy to game plan against a guy like Case. He has enough speed to run, to elude the defenders and to chunk the ball very accuratly while on the run. When a guy can make stuff out of nothing it is really hard to find tendencies.

badboy

Hall of Fame
McNair always says he reviews entire team structure after each season. I'd like to be a fly on wall when he does that.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yeah but the thing is it is easy to game plan against a guy like Schaub, he is limited, but its not as easy to game plan against a guy like Case. He has enough speed to run, to elude the defenders and to chunk the ball very accuratly while on the run. When a guy can make stuff out of nothing it is really hard to find tendencies.
Case is hardly the 1st mobile QB in the NFL. Defenses will figure him out sooner or later, then it's up to him to make plays when the defenses take away what he likes to do. I think he can do it, but it won't be a cake walk for him every week.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Case is hardly the 1st mobile QB in the NFL. Defenses will figure him out sooner or later, then it's up to him to make plays when the defenses take away what he likes to do. I think he can do it, but it won't be a cake walk for him every week.
i'm not saying they wont, BUT case is very accurate, he is not a runner first, he can however avoid the rush and so far it appears he reads defenses very well. Reminds me of a lot of QBs whom i wont name as i dont want to start a big debate again haha

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
i'm not saying they wont, BUT case is very accurate, he is not a runner first, he can however avoid the rush and so far it appears he reads defenses very well. Reminds me of a lot of QBs whom i wont name as i dont want to start a big debate again haha
I hear ya!!

I'm sitting next to you on the Case bandwagon, been there since PS, but I'm trying to keep my expectations real. My heart wants him to be the next Peyton Manning but my brain keeps telling me it's only been two games.

It's absolutely stunning to me though, how stark the difference is between Case and Schaub.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
i'm not saying they wont, BUT case is very accurate, he is not a runner first, he can however avoid the rush and so far it appears he reads defenses very well. Reminds me of a lot of QBs whom i wont name as i don't want to start a big debate again haha
I will.. Russell Wilson for starters. They have almost the same exact skill set and the current QB I'd compare him to the most right now. Wilson has better top end speed, but both aren't really looking to run down field when they move (ala RG3 or Vick), they buy time behind the LOS for their receivers to get open and always keep their eyes down field.

Another QB who does this is Rodgers.

I'm sure defenses will make some adjustments, but I really don't see them being able to do a whole lot as long as Houston can keep them honest with a running game... mainly because of Case's mobility and his ability to make plays off schedule. The defense can call the perfect play and with that ability to move and make plays when things break down (which was the problem with Schaub), Case can still hurt you. That is what Russell has also been doing since day one.

Will he throw picks.. yes, will he make mistakes.. yes, every young QB does. However I don't see defenses finding a formula to "figure out" Case that makes him not be able to perform as a consistent NFL starter.. he has too many clubs in his bag to beat you with.

Last edited:

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
I will.. Russell Wilson for starters. They have almost the same exact skill set. Wilson has better top end speed, but both aren't really looking to run down field when they move (ala RG3 or Vick), they buy time behind the LOS buying time for their receivers to get open and always keep their eyes down field.

I'm sure defenses will make some adjustments, but I really don't see them being able to do a whole lot as long as Houston can keep them honest with a running game... mainly because of Case's mobility and his ability to make plays off schedule. The defense can call the perfect play and with that ability to move and make plays when things break down (which was the problem with Schaub), Case can still hurt you. That is what Russell has also been doing since day one.

Will he throw picks.. yes, will he make mistakes.. yes, every young QB does. However I don't see defenses finding a formula to "figure out" Case that makes him not be able to perform as a consistent NFL starter.. he has too many clubs in his bag to beat you with.
Exactly, good post !

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I will.. Russell Wilson for starters. They have almost the same exact skill set and the current QB I'd compare him to the most right now. Wilson has better top end speed, but both aren't really looking to run down field when they move (ala RG3 or Vick), they buy time behind the LOS for their receivers to get open and always keep their eyes down field.

I'm hoping Case ends up being compared to Fran Tarkington.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It was too bad that the Texans extended Schaub too early last year.
I don't know what their policy is regarding the situation, but it would have been nice to make Schaub really compete for the starting job in camp this year.
If he wins the job, then they can extent him.
Depending on the competition in TC, they could be in a better bargaining position, too.
He'd only have to compete for his job if the Texans weren't happy with him. You make it sound like he was Mark Sanchez or something. What we saw at the beginning of this year was totally different from what we saw at the end of last year & no one could have saw it coming.

Expect him to choke in big games? Yeah. Question his ability to carry his team on his shoulders? uh-huh. Predict him to become the League pick-6 champ???? Nah...

The other thing is that I've seen Keenum ran the PA pass from under center, in the I formation in his freshman year, and he did it well, too.
I wonder if they even bother to go back all the way for those game tapes or not.

I'm sure they knew what they were getting when they extended him a contract after the draft, kept him on the practice squad, allowed him to compete for a roster spot, then made the decision to start him the last two games.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
Profootball Focus dissect the PA pass from Schaub to Keenum:

Scroll down to the second part of the article.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/06/analysis-notebook-week-9-3/
The funny thing I find is both WR's look wide open for Schaub, he has nobody in his face and it goes for a 18 yard pass. Neither WR looks that open for Keenum, he has a defender in his face, and he makes a fifty yard pass in stride for a TD. Keenum has more confidence in his arm than Schaub does.

CretorFrigg

Fire Rick Smith
I like Case, but he's got to be able to recognize the blitz. If he sees blitz, he's got to get the ball out as quickly as he can to the short route. You can't make a deep throw all the time.

Teams are blitzing Keenum like no other in the 2nd half, and it works.

eriadoc

Texan-American
I like Case, but he's got to be able to recognize the blitz. If he sees blitz, he's got to get the ball out as quickly as he can to the short route. You can't make a deep throw all the time.

Yep. But the rest of the offense has to adjust for blitzes as well, and it sure as hell looks like no WRs reak off their routes, no OL adjust, and no RB pick up the blitz. And no coaches change up the playcalling to throw off the defense.

It was inevitable he was going to have a bad game. He's a rookie, for all practical purposes. This is a ten game audition.

maddogmrb

Rookie

This game was on our oline and inability of RBs to pick up the blitz. No QB could have been successful with the pressure allowed today. If Peyton had been back there today he would have gotten clobbered. Of course, if he were back there the Cards may not have blitzed so much .... but then again with our oline and inexperienced RBs they may have anyway.

Vance87

All Pro
Agree Case has to learn how to handle the blitz.

That being said, it was his third career start. Give him time. For a guy to face two of the best defenses in the league in three career starts is pretty daunting, and he's performed well above the bar people set for him.