Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

Premier

Rookie
There's also a reason to watch that video in its entirety. The Matt Schaub highlights show a much different and confident QB than what we've seen since December of last year. This contrast should've been stark for Kubiak going into this season.

honestly the only difference i see is that receivers are getting open due to the deception involved in the bootleg/stretch and he was able to toss the ball to streaking open andre/dreessen.. he was rolling out untouched without a defender in sight waiting for something to develop.. nothing really great about what he was doing. i really dont agree with most that there was this huge regression in schaub, i think hes the same guy but the system is no longer getting these guys open and the mediocre player that schaub is has been ineffective.. if those plays were still available, he would still be racking up those yards and we would be winning games but it is fools gold. even schaub at his highest level when the system was running smoothly was still a liability regarding everything mental about big games/tight defenses.. i really dont think there are too many qbs in this league that wouldnt have been successful in the system schaub was excelling in.. all the elite talk about the guy, when he as simply a product of a qb friendly system and he was never going to take a team to the next level. he should have simply been a stop-gap qb that you bring in to transition from your former qb to your new franchise qb.. without kubiak, this guy would have been a journeyman that would get shots floating from team to team when their qb was injured..

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
I hate to do this, and if I'm flamed I understand. I love Andre as much as any other Texans fan does. But I have to know... Is Andre really still an all pro this year? Is he putting up all pro numbers and production? Is he making the tough yards? Are his catches blowing games open? I know it is almost blasphemy to question Andre. I'm sorry that I am, but He has lost a step or two, and I don't se him as the difference maker he used to be. I know he's still good, but I'm not sure he is still all pro caliber, and I want him to prove my doubts wrong.
Man AJ looks horrible against the Colts.

eriadoc

Texan-American
There may still be room on the bandwagon for some of you doubters, but you better get on quick.

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
There may still be room on the bandwagon for some of you doubters, but you better get on quick.
They're busy thinking of that one blitz Keenum missed to point to as an example that he is "not ready".

The Yoga they must be doing for the stretches argumentatively that they'll need to make after this should be rigorous.

Rey

That fake spike, fade to Dre...

That has my mind spinning. Wondering about the supposed reigns kubiak has put on his qb's.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I think there can be no doubt who the starting QB of the Texans is now. To bad he couldn't pull out a win though. That would have been nice.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
Case Keenum has been ballin' his first two games. Right now I'm thinking he's the QB of the future for this team.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Keenum's team now. I think next we need to figure out what other position besides QB we spend that first round pick on....

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

That has my mind spinning. Wondering about the supposed reigns kubiak has put on his qb's.
Looks like a completely different offense and coach calling the plays all the sudden doesn't it ?!

Ive said for several years that Gary called such conservative games because of the limitations of the guy he had at QB. Now Keenum comes in and Gary doesn't look like Mr Conservative all the sudden.

Wonder if that play made Kubiak blow a gasket? Keenum did that on his own and we all know that Kubiak's QBs don't do anything without Kubiak's approval first...

legacy_gt

Rookie
Looks like a completely different offense and coach calling the plays all the sudden doesn't it ?!

Ive said for several years that Gary called such conservative games because of the limitations of the guy he had at QB. Now Keenum comes in and Gary doesn't look like Mr Conservative all the sudden.
agreed. offense looks very aggressive. I like it. the loss was tough but we'll be taking 2 steps back and making 3 steps forward.

mattieuk

All Pro

I would buy that but no way does Schaub get his contract if that is true. Schaub was Kubiak's guy, and it has taken an injury and realisation that his job is likely on a thin line to deviate from that path.

I'm no staunch anti-Kubiak guy, but wouldn't even be surprised if Keenum's inprovising has been somewhat against Kubiak's QB tutlage. There is a place for Kubiaks approach to the QB position, but in a rapidly changing NFL it has some huge limitations.

CretorFrigg

Fire Rick Smith
He put us in a position to win. It's only his 2nd NFL start, and he's playing well. Even at the very end, he got us close enough (55 yard FG) where it was possible to win. Too bad our kicker sucks.

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
Case did play enough to win the game. 3 misses = 9 points was the story. I believe Case will only get better with experience.

Go Case!!!

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
The question has to be does Keenum still look good once teams have tape on him. Tj Yates did until the tape began to tell the tale...

8 weeks to learn on the job, a mid-round flyer is required at the very least to push him and cement a decent backup, possibly a first round starter still.

The kids done as well as he could have so far but the tests will get harder the more tape there is. Our O does look very different all of a sudden and hell need to adjust as opposing Ds adjust to him.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
He made AJ look young again, and it is good to see AJ out there having fun again. If there is a reason he will not retire anytime soon it is because he has a slinger like Case throwing him the ball. 3 Tds in the first half wow

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I'm sure it's been mentioned a million times in this thread but he has a) mobility and b ) he throws downfield. He basically, in 2 games, quadrupled the amount of throws 20+ yards downfield. It opens defenses up. Looked good.

Last edited:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
He made AJ look young again, and it is good to see AJ out there having fun again. If there is a reason he will not retire anytime soon it is because he has a slinger like Case throwing him the ball. 3 Tds in the first half wow
AJ has always been AJ but Schaub wasn't getting him the ball in stride or long. Just think of how many TD's he would have caught if he had a decent QB chunking him the ball the last few years.

fiasco west

All Pro
The question has to be does Keenum still look good once teams have tape on him. Tj Yates did until the tape began to tell the tale...

8 weeks to learn on the job, a mid-round flyer is required at the very least to push him and cement a decent backup, possibly a first round starter still.

The kids done as well as he could have so far but the tests will get harder the more tape there is. Our O does look very different all of a sudden and hell need to adjust as opposing Ds adjust to him.
He has looked MUCH better than Yates though who was still throwing INTs. I think by the time the Texans were eliminated people soured on Yates and realized he was a backup QB at best.

I remember a lot of people felt the Texans would have won that year with Schaub.

Case for all his mistakes has yet to throw a INT. He's made the team look explosive and Yates for me felt like he was just threading water. Managing the game as best he could.

With Keenum I feel like he could win the game.

You are right though, we will see how he is when teams get tape on him...but he has played excellent through his first two starts. Anyone saying otherwise has an agenda.

Most people here are judging him on what they have seen...and we've seen great QB play. He played well against TWO great secondaries now, has put up more than enough points for his team to come away with the wins...now if defense or special teams can just come up with a extra play or two...

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
AJ has always been AJ but Schaub wasn't getting him the ball in stride or long. Just think of how many TD's he would have caught if he had a decent QB chunking him the ball the last few years.
i know he has always been AJ, but rarely do we see him out there having fun like we saw last night. It's refreshing.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I would buy that but no way does Schaub get his contract if that is true. Schaub was Kubiak's guy, and it has taken an injury and realisation that his job is likely on a thin line to deviate from that path.

I'm no staunch anti-Kubiak guy, but wouldn't even be surprised if Keenum's inprovising has been somewhat against Kubiak's QB tutlage. There is a place for Kubiaks approach to the QB position, but in a rapidly changing NFL it has some huge limitations.
Schaub has also won a lot of games under Kubiak .... back to back division titles , been one of a handful to throw for 4500+ in back to back seasons and until this year didn't make a whole lot of mistakes.

None of us expected Schaub to be as bad as he has been this year. You can talk about how you would have started Keenum sooner all you want but you also have the benefit of hindsight ..... You weren't the coach of a team with super bowl aspirations who's choices were a QB who led you to 12 regular season wins and a playoff win or an UDFA.

Hindsight is always 20-20 .... and they are still 0-2 with Keenum under center.

He put us in a position to win. It's only his 2nd NFL start, and he's playing well. Even at the very end, he got us close enough (55 yard FG) where it was possible to win. Too bad our kicker sucks.
Too bad our kicker missed three on the game .... If he hits One of those earlier kicks , he's kicking to win not tie.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Yates looked "serviceable" until teams had tape on him .... huge difference between their performances in their first two starts respectively.

With Yates the offense looks much like it does with Schaub , with Keenum they throw down the field.

Keenum looks like a legit NFL QB , not a career backup .....

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
True, but he's fun for me to watch. He's mobile, and he chucks the rock downfield, with accuracy. And he's just getting started. This team has serious issues, but all of a sudden, the quarterback position is NOT one of them.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Think about how good AJ has been throughout his career. Think about how long he's been good. Now realize he has never caught 3 TDs in one game before. And in his 11th year, he just caught his 3rd 200 yard game.

I think AJ likes Keenum.

Rey

Schaub has also won a lot of games under Kubiak .... back to back division titles , been one of a handful to throw for 4500+ in back to back seasons and until this year didn't make a whole lot of mistakes.

None of us expected Schaub to be as bad as he has been this year. You can talk about how you would have started Keenum sooner all you want but you also have the benefit of hindsight ..... You weren't the coach of a team with super bowl aspirations who's choices were a QB who led you to 12 regular season wins and a playoff win or an UDFA.
I've said this a few times, but this goes beyond Schaub to me. It's about the team as a whole. While everyone was talking supervowl, there were a few of is that we're wondering if this team would even make the play offs.

We didn't do enough to change the team in the off season. Getting beat the way we got beat last year wasn't a fluke. The losses last year and how we lost bothered the hell out of me, but it seems like most people just swept it under the rug. The kicker, NT, Keyshawn Martin, special teams, the qb, injuries at RB, OLB, Brice McCain....ect....

There was a long list of issues that the team just refused to address. They are far too slow to make decisions.

Schaub has been a problem, but people didn't want to akboeledfe it because he had some nice stats.

Rey

Too bad our kicker missed three on the game .... If he hits One of those earlier kicks , he's kicking to win not tie.

I've said this a few times, but this goes beyond Schaub to me. It's about the team as a whole. While everyone was talking supervowl, there were a few of is that we're wondering if this team would even make the play offs.

We didn't do enough to change the team in the off season. Getting beat the way we got beat last year wasn't a fluke. The losses last year and how we lost bothered the hell out of me, but it seems like most people just swept it under the rug. The kicker, NT, Keyshawn Martin, special teams, the qb, injuries at RB, OLB, Brice McCain....ect....

There was a long list of issues that the team just refused to address. They are far too slow to make decisions.

Schaub has been a problem, but people didn't want to akboeledfe it because he had some nice stats.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Keenum looked great last night. I'd like to see him start the rest of the regular to see how he responds when teams have NFL on him. If he can keep making plays and minimizing the mistakes, I have no problem going into next year with him as our starter. Hopefully it's not a Matt Flynn, Rob Johnson, Matt Cassel type situation where a player looks good in limited time and then the wheels fall off once DC's know what the guy is trying to do.

Go get'em Case. The job is your for the taking.

Sincerely,
Not a fanboy and not a hater.

cstyle42

Rookie
4 years ago Steve Young said it's a problem when your quarterback is never the reason why you win football games and that's a issue for the Houston Texans. You can try to defend Schaub and shield him from accountability all you want but this guy has always been too mentally weak and not physically good enough with his legs or athletically to take us even to the afc championship let alone the superbowl. Case Keenum I'm telling you now will be. Time to put all bs aside and do what it takes for this team to win a superbowl this year or next year. If they decide to sacrifice this year for the draft then that's fine but someone in this coaching staff needs to be held accountable because Case Keenum as a third string qb was just plain stupid and ridiculous.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
4 years ago Steve Young said it's a problem when your quarterback is never the reason why you win football games and that's a issue for the Houston Texans. You can try to defend Schaub and shield him from accountability all you want but this guy has always been too mentally weak and not physically good enough with his legs or athletically to take us even to the afc championship let alone the superbowl. Case Keenum I'm telling you now will be. Time to put all bs aside and do what it takes for this team to win a superbowl this year or next year. If they decide to sacrifice this year for the draft then that's fine but someone in this coaching staff needs to be held accountable because Case Keenum as a third string qb was just plain stupid and ridiculous.
THat is what I find so hilarious, but also not surprising. People now want to see what Kubiak can do with Keenum. Hell, the guy had Carr, Schaub, Rosenfels, Yates, and now Keenum. The guy put Keenum as a 3rd stringer even behind Yates after that pre season he just had. The team gets into a bad hole where Schaub destroys the team and Kubiak still refuses to bench him. Even when Schaub goes down he still doesn't play Keenum. He plays Yates and the team finally gives up where we get embarrassed by the Rams. And now Keenum has to play since the team won't get behind Yates, and Keenum is lighting it up which shows that this entire season could have been completely different. And people actually want to give Kubiak another shot after he just wasted another season? LoL! Yeah, lets give him 3 more to waste. Why not.

Lord Bills

Destruction
you cannot fault keenum for these two games.

-1st game two missed td catches special teams and defense.

-2nd game 3 missed field goals, special teams and defense.

Keenum showed he's the real deal going up against two playoff teams with pretty good defenses.

drs23

Veteran
Its dumb is what it is! You're also supposed to under throw your receivers to give them a chance to catch it. Everybody knows that.
That's what gets my goat. Everyone knows AJ is old and has lost steps. What's with this making him run by the defender by 4 or five steps and then just having the ball drop in over his shoulder like that. The second TD pass was even worse. He had to stretch to catch it. He's too old for that tom-foolery! And everyone knows he can't catch the fade. It's been a weak point for years. :kitten: :D

eriadoc

Texan-American
At the very least, these two clips should put to bed all the talk of Kennum not having NFL arm strength.
They won't, because the people arguing that idiocy aren't capable of objectively evaluating Keenum (or Kennum, either). So just ignore the few remaining holdouts and enjoy the show.

What I want to know is why we've watched AJ all these years not get thrown the ball in the end zone. I mean, I've argued for years that Schaub has cost this team TDs to AJ by leaving the ball short and watching AJ slow up to catch it and having defenders tackle him. You see the opposite of that in the first clip above. But the second and third clips are just thrown to him in the end zone. I've gone back and forth as to why this might be over the years, even entertaining the idea that AJ just isn't that good in the red zone/end zone. I think Keenum showed last night that the problem does not lie with AJ.

And that pisses me off, to be honest. Wasted AJ's talents all these years.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
They won't, because the people arguing that idiocy aren't capable of objectively evaluating Keenum (or Kennum, either). So just ignore the few remaining holdouts and enjoy the show.

What I want to know is why we've watched AJ all these years not get thrown the ball in the end zone. I mean, I've argued for years that Schaub has cost this team TDs to AJ by leaving the ball short and watching AJ slow up to catch it and having defenders tackle him. You see the opposite of that in the first clip above. But the second and third clips are just thrown to him in the end zone. I've gone back and forth as to why this might be over the years, even entertaining the idea that AJ just isn't that good in the red zone/end zone. I think Keenum showed last night that the problem does not lie with AJ.

I sat back thinking that same thing last night while I was at the game in the enz zone watching AJ make those plays. I was like man 3 TD's in one half and AJ has never gone over 10 TD's in one season. What a waste of utilizing AJ's skill set all of these years.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member

I wondered why the Texans ran an offense that didn't feature Andre in the end zone every time Megatron, Moss, or any number of other big name receivers had multi-touchdown games. The defenses were certainly keying on them too.

Make the defense stop Andre; don't have the offense stop him for them!

mbbfrmtx40

Practice Squad
I have been a Texans fan from day one and I have seen enough from the last two games to know that Case should definitely be the starter from here on out. What he did last night was something that I haven't seen from any other Texans QB. Schaub may have put up some decent stats in seasons past but I don't recall seeing him make the throws that Case did last night. He also brings some mobility to the position that Schaub has lacked. He extends plays and turns potential negative plays into something positive and doesn't panic and hang the ball up for any defender to grab and run back for 6. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he will be the next Tom Brady or Drew Brees but I think that he has shown enough so far that warrants letting him finish out the season as the starter and see how he develops.