Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All Encompassing Carr Thread

Actually, you're not in camp with the Giants which might make it tough on your making the team BUT it also conceals whatever shortcomings you may have in your game. You remain (to the Giants at least) "a mystery". David Carr is on the practice field with them. He can't hide there and by the time training camp ends they'll know everything they need to know about him.

I think your chances are better than his.

I hope he makes the squad. I want to see him in pre season. It's fun watching Carr when he's not a Texan. :mshadows:

That little pile of crap is still blaming everyone else.

Quote:
"I wanted to subtract all the variables I felt hindered us as a team anywhere else, and this was the best place I could find," he said. "I'll just go out there and if I'm good enough I'm good enough. If I'm not, then I'll know."

Dude is so ****ing dumb and so ****ing shallow that he can't realize that its on him. The variable that needs to be subtracted is him. He is still looking for excuses and trying to find the 'perfect' situation.

It's like he is still saying 'Im just trying to find a place where other people stop screwing up my career.'

This dude is a pile of garbage and anyone who believed in that loser feels like a big horse's ass right about now. McNair included.

If I saw this dude on the street I would call him a worthless douchebag and would tell him to take his lame pathetic act back to California and to get the hell out of our state. Just an embarassment to our franchise that needs to go away. Oh man, that quote set me off. Just a complete sack of cow excrement. freaking pathetic even by Carr's lowly standards.

I thought this quote was particularly idiotic, even by DC's standards...

"You talk about having a clock in your head, when the clock hits zero before you take a snap and it's kind of tough," Carr said with a halfhearted laugh. "I was looking to get it out of my hands just because you don't want negative plays all the time. It all added up."

The first adjustment he's been forced to make here is getting used to working alongside the second and third units.

"I would be lying if I said it was normal for me," Carr said. "I'm getting one or two reps in a row, when I was used to getting eight and nine. That's different for me, but working with the young guys helps me to learn (the offense) because they're asking me about everything. Sometimes they give me a blank look, and I try not to give them one back."
http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080731/SPORTS01/807310436/-1/SPORTS

Let's compare ... here's A

So join now, 'cause at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than just being really, really, really good looking. Right kids?

Now B

"You talk about having a clock in your head, when the clock hits zero before you take a snap and it's kind of tough," Carr said with a halfhearted laugh. "I was looking to get it out of my hands just because you don't want negative plays all the time. It all added up."

You make the call .

Things have not come easy for Carr. He hurt a foot working out a week before camp opened and missed the first practices. In his first two-plus days back, he has thrown a couple of interceptions, fumbled two snaps and tossed a few questionable passes.

"I have to go out there and make the plays that I know I can make," Carr said. "It's been rough, there have been some ups and some downs — mostly downs

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5917526.html

Carr hurts his foot because he's wearing a pair of 'old' shoes!!????

,,,no pass rush, but David is fumbling the snap???

http://blog.kir.com/

I enjoy watching football games, but I have never been able to understand the mainstream media's fascination with pre-season football practice.

I mean, really. Is there anything more boring than football practice? Well, maybe pre-season football games, but that's another issue. Yet, the local media cheerleaders are lined up each day to report breathlessly about the Texans' pre-season practices. The late night television news last night reported excitedly about the Texans' practice earlier in the evening in which the Texan players, without pads, ran through a series of drills that amounted to glorified touch football. Touch football!

At any rate, with all the media resources dedicated to covering pre-season training camp, an interesting piece of information does emerge every once in awhile. For example, this AP report notes that former Texans first-round draft pick and QB David Carr, now almost 30 years old, is trying to catch on as a backup QB with the Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

Despite being the Texans' first draft choice and the first player taken in the 2002 NFL draft, Carr turned out to be one of the worst QB's in NFL history, which is one of the many reasons that the Texans have been one of the worst teams in NFL history during their six year existence. It was reasonably clear even before the Texans third year (2004) that Carr was not the answer at QB, but the Texans cheerleaders at the Chronicle were still touting him as a potential top-tier talent deep into the Texans' disastrous 2-14 season in 2005. That same level of incompetence is generally displayed in almost all of the seemingly endless puff pieces that the Chron reporters (Chron blogger Lance Zerlein excepted) generate throughout Texans training camp.

Getting back to Carr, it sounds as if his performance to date in the Giants camp has been consistent with his performance in Houston:

Things have not started well for Carr. He hurt his foot working out a week before camp opened and missed some practice time. Since returning, he has thrown a couple of interceptions, fumbled two snaps and tossed a few questionable passes.

David Carr, first-round draft choice. A quintessential example of the NFL's mismatch problem?

Deep down, based on the fact that this thread is still around, I think we still want to see the guy become a decent backup in the league. Mainly cause he was a nice guy that just sucked butt here in Houston.

Speak for yourself. I think you are mistaken.

the dude could spontaneously burst into flames and I wouldn't care one bit. it would be like seeing John Stockton or Skip Bayless burst into flames, I would be like 'wow, that dude is on flames. sucks to be him. so how about this weather we are having'.

that being said, I really want him to make the Giants as their backup QB and for Eli to go down and have Carr come in and just get annihilated by opposing defenses and the brutal New York media. I want to see the NEW YORK POST cover a Carr-led Giants team.

Oh man, following a Super Bowl year....that would just be too rich. If Eli went down Week1 and Carr was forced to come in, I would venture to say that the Giants would be a 3-13 team. And oh man it would be like a Salem witch trial with Carr in the NY media...oh man, he would just get grilled.

fwiw (and its worth a lot) we are just a week away from the start of the 2nd season of the post-Carr era. 2 AD (After David).

Cant get here fast enough.

Oh man, following a Super Bowl year....that would just be too rich. If Eli went down Week1 and Carr was forced to come in, I would venture to say that the Giants would be a 3-13 team. And oh man it would be like a Salem witch trial with Carr in the NY media...oh man, he would just get grilled.

After his dismal 1 Quarter relief effort of an injured Manning, Carr would be cut to shreads by the New York Media.

If Carr gets upset about the calls and commentary on KILT's "Fan Feedback" on 610 AM, just wait untill he experiences the wrath of 660 WFAN for just a couple of days.

His psyche would suffer irreparable harm. He would go back to his "basket case mode" and the Giants would be trolling the Free Agent market for a new QB after the next practice...

766 post thread (767 with this comment) on a QB who hasn't played for our team since 2006. If this doesn't point to some kind of dysfunction among Houston football fans then I don't know what does.

after watching that, i noticed how David Carr doesn't set his feet properly for throws and that the ball is always high which causes the recievers to stop to recieve it. They rarely catch it on the run. There was one deep pass where his footwork looked right, and he hit the reciever down the middle. I dont think Carr will ever figure out his mechanical and mental flaws.

His brother Derek looks good though.

766 post thread (767 with this comment) on a QB who hasn't played for our team since 2006. If this doesn't point to some kind of dysfunction among Houston football fans then I don't know what does.

I wonder how much Tim Couch talk there is on Cleveland boards.

(of course Timmy di'nt have hisself any super sweet mittens)

Señor Stan;965650 said:
I wonder how much Tim Couch talk there is on Cleveland boards.

(of course Timmy di'nt have hisself any super sweet mittens)

the Browns never picked up the maximum option on Couch's rookie deal...big difference. Browns also made the playoffs during Couch's time.

Couch just got injured. He wasn't a great QB but he was 10 times the QB that that pile of garbage Carr was.

Yeah, it's definitely Hulk75.

At 7:53 the screen goes black and the text on the screen reads "That was only 15% of the great plays I could find, now on to Carolina...." and the video ends.

(Sigh)

All I got out of that video is this:

(A) Dang, I wish we had Domanick Davis and that he never got injured

(B) Dang, Andre Johnson had to catch a lot of jump balls

(C) Dang, David Carr had to pull the ball and run a lot because he didn't know how to read a defense and t-h-r-o-w the ball in time.

(D) Dom Capers looks goofy pumping his fist after a TD.

Yeah, it's definitely Hulk75.

At 7:53 the screen goes black and the text on the screen reads "That was only 15% of the great plays I could find, now on to Carolina...." and the video ends.

(Sigh)

All I got out of that video is this:

(A) Dang, I wish we had Domanick Davis and that he never got injured

(B) Dang, Andre Johnson had to catch a lot of jump balls

(C) Dang, David Carr had to pull the ball and run a lot because he didn't know how to read a defense and t-h-r-o-w the ball in time.

(D) Dom Capers looks goofy pumping his fist after a TD.

I wonder if Hulk made this video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADh52Uf2EwE

David Carr, as usual, shines in preseason games :) At least statistically. Check out the end of the game:

This time, though, it was Carr at the helm of the offense, trying to resurrect a disappointing career. The former No. 1 pick got New York as far as the Detroit 40, but an intentional grounding penalty was followed by a sack, and the Lions hung on for the victory.

This time, though, it was Carr at the helm of the offense, trying to resurrect a disappointing career. The former No. 1 pick got New York as far as the Detroit 40, but an intentional grounding penalty was followed by a sack, and the Lions hung on for the victory.

It's like deja vu......... all over again.

Here's a small report as to what David Carr did last night in his first pre season game with the Giants. Seems like the same ole classic play from "pretty gloves" David

This time, though, it was Carr at the helm of the offense, trying to resurrect a disappointing career. A former first-overall pick, Carr got the Giants as far as the Detroit 40, but an intentional grounding penalty was followed by a sack, and the Lions hung on for the victory.

"I wish he had gotten a chance to finish it off," Coughlin said. "We had plenty of time, and he had us in great position."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=443351

Does anybody remember Ibar_Harry????

:rolleyes:

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/898830.aspx

Here's a couple of gems...

Ibarharry:
Carolina last year went to zone blocking and Houston was doing the same the last few years David was there. I have a thing about Zone Blocking and what it is used for. Again Zone blocking is designed for a running team that does not want to protect its QB. Some of you will crucify me for saying that, but it really is the truth.

Ibarharry:
I for one did not like what the Panthers did. They tried to pull the same stunt as Houston did the last couple of years. They also cut a very good WR to keep a rookie who really never made it on the field.

Anybody with time on their hands and a registered account....please feel free to go set them straight on the QB known as David Carr, Ibar is building false hope.

I'm just thinking out loud about Carr with this post.

I remember that St. Louis game where Ryan Fitzpatrick beat us in OT while we were winning solidly at halftime. I think I remember reading that in the first half the Texans let Carr call his own plays. He had a solid half doing that. In the 2nd half Pendry took over and the offense fell apart. That always makes me go "hmmmm"

I'm just thinking out loud about Carr with this post.

I remember that St. Louis game where Ryan Fitzpatrick beat us in OT while we were winning solidly at halftime. I think I remember reading that in the first half the Texans let Carr call his own plays. He had a solid half doing that. In the 2nd half Pendry took over and the offense fell apart. That always makes me go "hmmmm"

Yeah, Pendry probably got tired of trying to tell Carr to throw the ball downfield with no results.

“[Carr’s] like a lot of young guys; they lose their confidence. Pro athletes have very fragile egos, so we just have to try to get them in stride, build their confidence, get them to believe in themselves and to believe in the system. I think that’s how you get a guy back going in the right direction.

“I think he’s starting to have a little success. I think he’s starting to understand what (coach) Tom (Coughlin) wants from the quarterback position.”

Carr’s release has changed, according to Palmer.

“It’s a little bit lower than before,” he said. “We talk about that all the time. He has a very quick release, and he’s got a strong arm. He’s getting to a point in his life where he’s going to start hurting his elbow and shoulder if he doesn’t become more mechanically sound.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5948507.html

Poor David Carr. Dude, just retire already.

“[Carr’s] like a lot of young guys; they lose their confidence. Pro athletes have very fragile egos, so we just have to try to get them in stride, build their confidence, get them to believe in themselves and to believe in the system. I think that’s how you get a guy back going in the right direction.

“I think he’s starting to have a little success. I think he’s starting to understand what (coach) Tom (Coughlin) wants from the quarterback position.”

Carr’s release has changed, according to Palmer.

“It’s a little bit lower than before,” he said. “We talk about that all the time. He has a very quick release, and he’s got a strong arm. He’s getting to a point in his life where he’s going to start hurting his elbow and shoulder if he doesn’t become more mechanically sound.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5948507.html

Poor David Carr. Dude, just retire already.

He has to slow down,” Palmer said about Carr when he’s in the pocket. “There are times where he rushes through it. We have to get him to slow down, stay in rhythm, stay within the reads and not force it.

“He’s a talented young man. He’s very athletic. He runs very well, has a strong arm, but he’s got to settle down in the pocket.”

NOTHING HAS CHANGED...No surprise.

I bet he doesn't make the 53....

I thought the article was kind of sad myself. He (Palmer) is talking about the same kinds of things that we all were in 2005 and 2006. He's talking about completion percentage and one good year for yards and pretending that it's all about Carr losing his confidence. He's lying to himself for no good reason other than he likes the guy and wants to see him succeed. It's like on some level he's still trying to prove that he could have made Carr a great QB but if you think about it David Carr only had one season where he completely lacked an acknowledged "QB guru" coaching him. That was 2005 when Palmer was out and Pendry was in. The rest of his career he had Chris Palmer holding his hand and Gary Kubiak trying to coach him up. Kubiak had no "umbilical cord" to the Carr pick and he determined in one season that there was nothing he could do with David Carr. The only person still talking about how much talent Carr has is Chris Palmer out of some misplaced sense of past loyalty and nostalgia or a desire for vindication.

Pitiful article and hopefully we see fewer of those as the years go by.

Carr will at best be the 3rd string QB in NY behind Anthony Wright. As a Giants fan I am OK with that as long as Eli and Wright stay healthy and this guy stays buried on the bench as the 3rd guy.

BTW, Carr has NO excuses in NY. If for some reason he ever does see the field he has a great line, quality receivers, a solid TE, and 3 excellent running backs.

From the Giant board after the carnage of Carr's performance:

"Fellas don't worry about Car. He was not that bad. He did ok and didn't make any big mistakes like ints. As for my boy Wright, I think that he may be out.

"Now back to David. Preseason is about how good the qb can handle pressure. The offense is not going to put up their best play. I think that the Giants should throw in some wr screans because some defenses are prepared for the deep to medium pass, so the quick release is real important at times wich a wr screen pass is. Also how many delays the offense have done. I rather have the sacks instead of the ints and Carr got sack because he knows that something is not there and he took a big chance."

I wonder how many times posts like that appeared on Texans boards from 2002 to 2006. I watched Carr play against Cleveland last week, and all he threw were quick tosses to his WRs at the line of scrimmage. Still, Carr may actually have the inside track for the #2 job as things stand. But I suspect the Giants may be scanning that waiver wire pretty carefully.

Is it wrong to smile when I read statements like, "It's official: it wasn't Houston's fault." I mean, we've all known the truth a long time, but it is good to see it (finally) acknowledged outside of Southeast Texas.

I liked the one from "TonyW"

TonyW over on the Giants board said:
passing along what I heard......How could you not like Carr? I love his patience, like how he's so patient when he's awaiting the sack, any ordinary QB would probably throw the ball away prematurely

If Giant fans are OK with sacks MR. MITTENS is their man.

As PT Barnum once said

Oh well GOOD RIDDANCE

Does anybody care when he gets his hair cut in NY?

The NY media are going to love yhis guy if Ely gets hurt.

Back