Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

From a personnel perspective….Texans “D” is lacking DL and Safeties. I know there are need’s everywhere on “D” and the team should be drafting BPA, but what if the Texans did this:

003: DE- Thibodeaux
013: DT- Davis
037: DT- Jones

A defensive line featuring these 3 and Greenard would help make any defensive backfield look competent.
I like Lopez, Blacklock, & Collins

I’m not saying there’s no need for upgrades, just that I like them.

But what about LB? I like Kirksey, I like KGH. Solid starters & everything, but not difference makers.

We could use a blue chip at every level of the defense

The Lions coach states that a team does not need to have an elite QB to win. He feel comfortable with Goff. He wants to pick a day 1 starter.
Goff can play. Just need to figure out how to make him more consistently good.

I would not have a problem going into 2022 with Goff as my QB considering the QBs in this draft.

I would not spend a 1st on a QB in 2022. Wish @76Texan was around to tell me who I should be targeting on day three.

It can limit you in several ways..........and it is only worn to support of potentially weak structures
Is that similar to this one?

66dd26d011a18996418716e142b2b388_400x400.jpeg

After I looked into it, something about Thibodeaux, it gives me some concern. For a long time, he wore just a plain arm band near his left elbow. He then transitioned to an elbow sleeve. Just a while back he started wearing an arm brace. In the past, he has made a statement that the reason he wear it is that "it gives me strength and finesse." A large articulated brace like his primarily gives you elbow stability, it does not give you strength or finesse. It can limit you in several ways..........and it is only worn to support of potentially weak structures. The support can be for any of several reasons, but the most common is elbow ligament damage.............most commonly the medial and lateral collateral ligament. He denies having had surgery that led to its need. He has done quite well so far, but those type of injuries are such that you worry about them for the future, especially if the structures that were damaged have not been yet addressed by surgery.

Just a thought to keep in mind.

By the way, in the picture below, he has added to his repertoire by also wearing a heavy wrist splint, signifying some sort of wrist injury/weakness.

View attachment 10001
how does this info compare with the brace JJ Watt wore? Thanks for info.

edit as TK asking same.

With Cooks’ extension I don’t expect WR to be addressed unless its a late round pick. I’d like to see Bo Melton Rutgers or Kyle Phillips UCLA available with one of the 6ths for a potential slot WR option.

i think a Y TE will be added in the 3rd or 4th. If Texans want to play smash mouth football I suspect we’ll be seeing plenty of 2 TE sets.

But Skyy Moore in the 2nd would be tempting!

Spot on post

I would use a couple of those 6ths to move into the 5th for Phillips or Melton.

From a personnel perspective….Texans “D” is lacking DL and Safeties. I know there are need’s everywhere on “D” and the team should be drafting BPA, but what if the Texans did this:

003: DE- Thibodeaux
013: DT- Davis
037: DT- Jones

A defensive line featuring these 3 and Greenard would help make any defensive backfield look competent.
Interesting but I’ll pass.

With Cooks’ extension I don’t expect WR to be addressed unless its a late round pick. I’d like to see Bo Melton Rutgers or Kyle Phillips UCLA available with one of the 6ths for a potential slot WR option.

i think a Y TE will be added in the 3rd or 4th. If Texans want to play smash mouth football I suspect we’ll be seeing plenty of 2 TE sets.

We need a slot receiver.

If I were designing an NFL offense I would be trying to recreate the Greatest Show on Turf.

Brandon Cooks’ extension would not stop me from targeting a blue chip WR.

I think they have the outside guys, they need a top notch slot guy.

I like him alot,

He's going to be gone before 3-68.
You think? Most times, there are 4.50 guys going in the 1st rd. If Woods has the absolute highest upsaide of all the te's and you're within range, just move and go get him. He's a willing blocker, but that target and his speed is a game changing type of talent imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Extra picks are cool but you should tell us who you would draft with them. I want to evaluate the guys you take over what we could get at 3. Thanks

I ran the PFN mock with this scenario:
N.O. receive Texans picks 3 & 183.
Texans receive N.O. picks 16 & 19.
Houston Texans
  • HOU

Ikem Ekwonu
    OT North Carolina State

• HOU

Devin Lloyd
    LB Utah
    trade icon
  • HOU

Daxton Hill
    S Michigan
There were plenty of good players that could be had at those picks - including OT Cross and WR Wilson at 13; G Zion Johnson and CB Boothe at 16; WR's Jameson Williams, Olave, CB McDuffie, OT Penning and OG Green as well as a couple of other top 25 players.
Of course, the PFN mock grades are way off on some players but the top 32 is pretty accurate. I also doubt that Ekwonu will be available at 13 but the point is there are several very good players available in the first round and having 3 of the first 19 picks is the quickest way to rebuild this team.

Skype Moore will need to be taken with 37. I like him because while only 5-10, he stout at 195 lbs and still has speed at 4.41.

I could easily go Cincinnati WR, Alec Pierce who’s 6-3 @ 211 lbs and popped the same 4.41-40 as Moore. Pierce is a guy who can do the job from the slot and he doesn’t mind blocking downfield. I think Pierce could be there early in RD3 and be just as effective as Moore.

We still need a good WR opposite Cooks for him to be able to avoid constant double teams.

I could easily go Cincinnati WR, Alec Pierce who’s 6-3 @ 211 lbs and popped the same 4.41-40 as Moore. Pierce is a guy who can do the job from the slot and he doesn’t mind blocking downfield. I think Pierce could be there early in RD3 and be just as effective as Moore.
I'm hearing these suggestions of tall speedsters in the slot. The problem with picking out these types of characteristics for a slot is that most of those types do not have that fast twitch and are usually lacking in the route running department, let alone quick sudden change of direction route running.

I'm hearing these suggestions of tall speedsters in the slot. The problem with picking out these types of characteristics for a slot is that most of those types do not have that fast twitch and are usually lacking in the route running department, let alone quick sudden change of direction route running.
The NFL is changing. The Colston/Thomas type slot is in vogue. I like Pierce slot at the top of the 3rd. He's versatile enough to play inside or outside. A very talented guy who can line up anywhere has a lot of value. One things for sure, he was always open in college.

I ran the PFN mock with this scenario:
N.O. receive Texans picks 3 & 183.
Texans receive N.O. picks 16 & 19.
Houston Texans
  • HOU

Ikem Ekwonu
    OT North Carolina State

• HOU

Devin Lloyd
    LB Utah
    trade icon
  • HOU

Daxton Hill
    S Michigan
There were plenty of good players that could be had at those picks - including OT Cross and WR Wilson at 13; G Zion Johnson and CB Boothe at 16; WR's Jameson Williams, Olave, CB McDuffie, OT Penning and OG Green as well as a couple of other top 25 players.
Of course, the PFN mock grades are way off on some players but the top 32 is pretty accurate. I also doubt that Ekwonu will be available at 13 but the point is there are several very good players available in the first round and having 3 of the first 19 picks is the quickest way to rebuild this team.
TY! I agree with you on Ekwonu at 13 but I would be okay any combination although have my preferences. I keep thinking there is no way that car stereo can mess this up and then that thought is followed by a picture of Bill O'Brien.

The NFL is changing. The Colston/Thomas type slot is in vogue. I like Pierce slot at the top of the 3rd. He's versatile enough to play inside or outside. A very talented guy who can line up anywhere has a lot of value. One things for sure, he was always open in college.
Chris Carter played the slot when they had Moss and Reed. It's just another way of getting your best personel on the field. They could draft another outside wr and Cooks can be your move guy. That's why I've said I would take Williams at 13 and let Cooks be my move wr

I dunno about that Doc because all the way from Dave Sime to Usain Bolt there's always been some really fast & tall fast twitch guys around, but when it comes to maneuvering quickly in and out of breaks when running routes you might be right.

I wanted a compiled list of the official top 30 visits that the Texans have had so far.

Here’s what I have:

Kayvon Thibodeaux Edge Oregon
Jalen Pitre S Baylor
Derek Stingley Jr CB LSU
Sauce Gardner CB Cincinnati
Ike Ekwonu OT NC St
Travon Walker DL Georgia
Kaiir Elam CB Florida
EJ Perry QB Brown
David Anenih DL Houston
Treylon Burks WR Arkansas
I believe Anenih was a local visit, and not a top 30.

Looks like he plays on the outside, not in the slot. But hey he’s a bad boy.

What would Pierce bring to the Texans receiving group….a receiver who could play outside or inside. I wouldn’t hesitate to have Pierce start in the slot b/c the mismatches he could create would be a game changer. Cooks and Collins on the outside would command their own coverages. If Collins and Pierce were on the outside….then there’s no doubt in my mind that Cooks could exploit the middle of the field. My fear of Cooks in the slot, the potential jarring hits he could take over the middle. Pierce’s size, speed and physicality could make him pretty special in the slot.

What would Pierce bring to the Texans receiving group….a receiver who could play outside or inside. I wouldn’t hesitate to have Pierce start in the slot b/c the mismatches he could create would be a game changer. Cooks and Collins on the outside would command their own coverages. If Collins and Pierce were on the outside….then there’s no doubt in my mind that Cooks could exploit the middle of the field. My fear of Cooks in the slot, the potential jarring hits he could take over the middle. Pierce’s size, speed and physicality could make him pretty special in the slot.

I have seen the team is taking an interest in Treylon Burks. He would be quite the big bodied slot weapon. Or could even push Cooks to slot in 3 WR sets.

Kupp isn't running option routes like Welker or Edelman, yet he's very,very effective. Steelbtexan and I have had this conversation many times. A big, vertical inside threat from the slot is just as if not more effective as a smaller, option route guy. The Godwin, Kupp, and Boys fit this mold and it works. The Texans can skin the cat this way also. Idealistically, a team wish in 11 personel, all the wr could play all 3 spots. Nico is a boundary wr, Cooks can play all 3, if they draft another boundary wr and a y flex te, you produce magic

Kupp isn't running option routes like Welker or Edelman, yet he's very,very effective. Steelbtexan and I have had this conversation many times. A big, vertical inside threat from the slot is just as if not more effective as a smaller, option route guy. The Godwin, Kupp, and Boys fit this mold and it works. The Texans can skin the cat this way also. Idealistically, a team wish in 11 personel, all the wr could play all 3 spots. Nico is a boundary wr, Cooks can play all 3, if they draft another boundary wr and a y flex te, you produce magic

WR1- Pierce (CIN) or Watson (NDSU)
WR2- Collins
SWR- Cooks
TE1- Jordan **Elevates to 1 this season**

You just described Pierce and Moore.

Back