Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

After all the trades, the Texans aren't realistic contenders

Brown came back and played in the game against the Seahawks in which DW threw for a still career high 402 yards.
(the Texans scored 38 points and only lose that game due to Wilson the end).
He had played every game since.
LT is such an important position, the Texans FO needed to handle that situation better.
Once the player knows for sure that the FO is doing its best (which may not involve an extension right away that year), there wouldn't have been any hard feeling.
If the player is not in your plan, let him go early to seek a long-term future somewhere else.

What is it about this board that there is no middle ground? You either think Bill O’Brien is the worst thing to happen to Houston that wasn't described as a Cat 5 or you are an “O’Brien nuthugger”

Is it really so hard to believe that some people are just trying to look at all sides and see that just like everybody else he does something’s right and some things wrong.

Was I the guy who told everyone to find another team if they didn't like one of the worst value trades in history? Might want to direct your question to the guy that suggested that.

As far as OB, well he's headed into what his 6th or 7th season here. I've lost track, but he's been the same guy since year one and hasn't evolved at all. He has ran off two GM's now to where the team is sitting her without one and completed some of the most lop sided deals this league has ever seen in the favor of the other teams. I was an avid supporter of OB for years and gave him plenty of time as well. There are posts all over this site that will show that. We've seen who he is as a HC, but the damage he is doing in the front office is much more troubling now.

O'Brien has literally just made a couple of the worst trades in the history of the NFL.

His offensive playcalling is also one of the worst in the league.

They are still around a 2% chance to win the super bowl.

And without first round picks and big extensions to sign soon (Watson, tunsil) there is no path to get better for the next 3 years.

Enjoy!

u know there are other way to fill a 53 roster even without high draft picks

Undrafted players, cut players, diamonds in the rough 6th rounders?

After we pay Tunsil and Watson we won't have enough for FAs. lol

As long as they are versatile, hard practicers and humble that's all that matters

Find another team if we're questioning OB huh? Lol!

Here goes one of them now. One of the ones that has endlessly trashed OB who is now telling other people to find another team for even questioning OB's trade moves as a GM.

Hilarious how quickly so many jump to defend a guy's GM moves when just last week he was the dumbest man that ever worked in the NFL to them.

Way to twist what I said. I've been critical of OB over the years. What I'm saying is there are some on here that are relentlessly negative no matter what happens. It's fine to analyse various moves and be critical for specific reasons, but when someone is just relentlessly negative no matter what happens - that's not analyzing. That's just being a reverse Pollyanna. You've got your sunshine pumpers who think everything the Texans does is magically going to work, and then you have others that would criticize BOB because he was holding the Lombardi trophy in the wrong arm during the parade. If that's you - then why bother being a fan of this team?

If you still don't get my point, then we'll just agree to disagree and move on. I'm not getting into a SteelB/Cak tit for tat. I love all my fellow Texans fans - even if you are a big dummy! (just messing with you lol)

Way to twist what I said. I've been critical of OB over the years. What I'm saying is there are some on here that are relentlessly negative no matter what happens. It's fine to analyse various moves and be critical for specific reasons, but when someone is just relentlessly negative no matter what happens - that's not analyzing. That's just being a reverse Pollyanna. You've got your sunshine pumpers who think everything the Texans does is magically going to work, and then you have others that would criticize BOB because he was holding the Lombardi trophy in the wrong arm during the parade. If that's you - then why bother being a fan of this team?

If you still don't get my point, then we'll just agree to disagree and move on. I'm not getting into a SteelB/Cak tit for tat. I love all my fellow Texans fans - even if you are a big dummy! (just messing with you lol)

So you just want to ignore 5 years of history and think it's all of a sudden going to change?

OB is who he is until he proves otherwise. I'd love for him to be this coaching/talent evaluating/GMing guru, but he hasn't proven to be that. And after 5 years, you no longer get the benefit of doubt.

Short term, 2019, yes, he picked up some players who could help the cause this year. LT in particular. Now the question is can he utilize those players to take advantage of their strengths or does he force them to play his system, that has been pretty blah for 5 years, thus setting them up for failure? Has yet to prove he can do the former in 5 years.

Long term, which has to be part of the equation, he may have set this franchise back another 5 years, because regardless of the players he got and how good they are, he basically got them out of desperation, of his own doing, with little to no regard of value. I know everyone seems to dismiss that because hey, we got a LT, but that matters. Giving up a 3rd rounder for a backup RB matters. Getting all pissy and giving away a multiple Pro-Bowl edge player for nothing, that matters.

Some big contracts need to be dished out soon, with a lot of contracts expiring after this season, including JJo, Mercilus and Reader, that's going to eat in to your depth. You're going to have a shit ton of needs next year, and your draft capital is dwindling because of the desperation moves you're making.

So if I come here all negative Nancy, it's not because I want to or that's how I am, I'm just calling things the way I see them, which doesn't mean I'm right BTW, but after 5 years of this guy...well, like I said, no more benefit of doubt from me.

So you just want to ignore 5 years of history and think it's all of a sudden going to change?

OB is who he is until he proves otherwise. I'd love for him to be this coaching/talent evaluating/GMing guru, but he hasn't proven to be that. And after 5 years, you no longer get the benefit of doubt.

Short term, 2019, yes, he picked up some players who could help the cause this year. LT in particular. Now the question is can he utilize those players to take advantage of their strengths or does he force them to play his system, that has been pretty blah for 5 years, thus setting them up for failure? Has yet to prove he can do the former in 5 years.

Long term, which has to be part of the equation, he may have set this franchise back another 5 years, because regardless of the players he got and how good they are, he basically got them out of desperation, of his own doing, with little to no regard of value. I know everyone seems to dismiss that because hey, we got a LT, but that matters. Giving up a 3rd rounder for a backup RB matters. Getting all pissy and giving away a multiple Pro-Bowl edge player for nothing, that matters.

Some big contracts need to big dished out soon, with a lot of contracts expiring after this season, including JJo, Mercilus and Reader, that's going to eat in to your depth. You're going to have a shit ton of needs next year, and your draft capital is dwindling because of the desperation moves you're making.

So if I come here all negative Nancy, it's not because I want to or that's how I am, I'm just calling things the way I see them, which doesn't mean I'm right BTW, but after 5 years of this guy...well, like I said, no more benefit of doubt from me.

Guys who will be free agents next year:
-jjo and roby
-mercilus
-reader and Dunn
-seantrel and martin
-fells
-cole
-addae

Will be interesting to see how they can find two starting corners, one starting edge, starting and backup nosetackles, and two starting offensive linemen.

And they have to extend Watson and Tunsil as well. Currently they have around $87 mil in capspace for next year.

Year after that I see they need to extend Fuller, Cunningham, Mancz and stills. I'm guessing the first two will be due for decent raises.

Back