Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Acquisitions of value

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tunsil does not look like he was worth 2 first round picks.

Watson needs to help his line more by using the check down??? He did that the most ever yesterday and what did that get him? 2 sacks on the very first goddamn drive? Thats his fault? Not eveyones favorite dollar store running backs Hyde and Johnson who cant pass block for sht. (know who can pass block great? Melving fking Gordon - but I digress) it falls on the feet of Jesus with Cleats - always. He has to play near perfect every game to overcome the deficiencies with the system. Everything has to work perfectly in OBriens offense - did anyone listen to the explanation of the trick play by OBrien (duuurrrr, it was a bad call WHOOPS my bad guys - I have to get better) and then Watson breaking down the coverages, saying that in film "the defense would react a certain way", but on the call it didnt happen, he was trying to kill the play after snap, but Nuk was already committed.

Watson gets killed for going the deep route too often, but nobody ever makes mention that this offense doesnt create much in terms of underneath. One week we get modern bunch sets and Watson looks great, then next week back to 4 second routes and nothing but a RB as a safety valve. Deshaun missed his TE on a couple of plays, but besides that there just wasnt anything there, what would have been better just to throw it up for grabs, hope NUK does his spider man thing? Throw some interceptions? Im sure that would have gone over well. He missed the 2 TD passes that were there yesterday, if he hits one we win another ugly one and move on, but he was off yesterday - Jesus with Cleats showing his human nature.

This offense relies on luck and individual greatness to succeed.
Of those 1st 2 sacks one of them Watson held the ball too long.

Watson had an off game in terms of OL calls and accuracy. A snapshot of the game would be when Watson fumbled. Reid blitzed and there were 2 hot reads open on his right, Watson looked to his left, got hit and fumbled and no, those hot reads weren't 20 yds downfield.

These are the things he's struggling with and needs to improve on. Hopefully it gets better soon because yesterday was awful.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The problem on that play......the TE didn't even try to chip Reid before releasing. Had the TE chipped Reid instead of him having a free lane to Watson.....the play and results are probably different. As I watched that play in slow motion, how in the world did the TE completely miss Reid running towards and past him without even trying to slow him down?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Will anything or any player or players ever change the results of this offense as long as OB and Devlin are in the drivers seat? NO....backed up by 6 years of evidence.

You guys need to quit acting like OB had some kind of profound NFL and college success or impact before joining the Texans. He's been in the drivers seat for 6 seasons and by every and all eye test(s)......the Texans look the same today as they have over the past 6 seasons regardless of the numerous personnel changes. How many personnel changes from the FO, coaches to the players have been made over the past 6 years to yield the same or failed results? Too many to count but what's the one constant.....Bill O'Brien. Conclude what you may from this but the facts are the facts.
I loved the OB hire at the time and I wanted him here based on what he did at Penn State and in NE.

That being said, his time was up around year 3 and 4 based on the garbage offense we kept putting out there with multiple QB's where no one over achieved. His coaching never evolved in any capacity either, and last season was his put up or shut up year and unfortunately the team had a real good stretch of wins that gave him a longer tenure here to screw things up.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I loved the OB hire at the time and I wanted him here based on what he did at Penn State and in NE.

That being said, his time was up around year 3 and 4 based on the garbage offense we kept putting out there with multiple QB's where no one over achieved. His coaching never evolved in any capacity either, and last season was his put up or shut up year and unfortunately the team had a real good stretch of wins that gave him a longer tenure here to screw things up.
He should have been done after the mallet-hoyer carousel. That was a fireable offense

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He should have been done after the mallet-hoyer carousel. That was a fireable offense
He should have been fired for letting go of Fitzpatrick and try to make Hoyer into a franchise qb. I honestly think OB didn't want Mallet, but that was RS offering a plan B.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Wasn't that only in year 2? I don't think that would have been fair.

You have to remember that Risk Smith was also playing a huge role in that as well. It was hard to see what the problem was and how much of it was on OB. He wasn't awful in every aspect of coaching either. I think he showed some early positives at times under those squads. Its just that he didn't improve on the negatives. The Texans aren't trash under him and won't be for the most part. They just can't advance past their highest peaks and their ceiling can only get so high.

I think we've seen who he is at this point, and after this season we should definitely move on. I doubt we will though.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

You have to remember that Risk Smith was also playing a huge role in that as well. It was hard to see what the problem was and how much of it was on OB. He wasn't awful in every aspect of coaching either. I think he showed some early positives at times under those squads. Its just that he didn't improve on the negatives. The Texans aren't trash under him and won't be for the most part. They just can't advance past their highest peaks and their ceiling can only get so high.

I think we've seen who he is at this point, and after this season we should definitely move on. I doubt we will though.
I think the McNairs should have seen that Rick Smith was just getting him the guys he wanted. Failing that, fire him after the Brock debacle

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The problem on that play......the TE didn't even try to chip Reid before releasing. Had the TE chipped Reid instead of him having a free lane to Watson.....the play and results are probably different. As I watched that play in slow motion, how in the world did the TE completely miss Reid running towards and past him without even trying to slow him down?
Watson still should've hit his hot read. He had time but looked the wrong way. He was oblivious to the blitz.

Reactions: JB

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I think the McNairs should have seen that Rick Smith was just getting him the guys he wanted. Failing that, fire him after the Brock debacle
Not sure about that. It seemed like they quarreled a lot about talent. Who knows really.

I hated Rick Smith and felt like he should have been canned way before he was, and was also a bad hire in the first place too. I won't cut him any slack.

I think we needed to give OB a full chance to succeed. They did. He simply hasn't grown into what we had hoped for.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

You have to realize Kdog pretty much wanted him fired as soon as it was announced he was hired.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tunsil does not look like he was worth 2 first round picks.

Watson needs to help his line more by using the check down??? He did that the most ever yesterday and what did that get him? 2 sacks on the very first goddamn drive? Thats his fault? Not eveyones favorite dollar store running backs Hyde and Johnson who cant pass block for sht. (know who can pass block great? Melving fking Gordon - but I digress) it falls on the feet of Jesus with Cleats - always. He has to play near perfect every game to overcome the deficiencies with the system. Everything has to work perfectly in OBriens offense - did anyone listen to the explanation of the trick play by OBrien (duuurrrr, it was a bad call WHOOPS my bad guys - I have to get better) and then Watson breaking down the coverages, saying that in film "the defense would react a certain way", but on the call it didnt happen, he was trying to kill the play after snap, but Nuk was already committed.

Watson gets killed for going the deep route too often, but nobody ever makes mention that this offense doesnt create much in terms of underneath. One week we get modern bunch sets and Watson looks great, then next week back to 4 second routes and nothing but a RB as a safety valve. Deshaun missed his TE on a couple of plays, but besides that there just wasnt anything there, what would have been better just to throw it up for grabs, hope NUK does his spider man thing? Throw some interceptions? Im sure that would have gone over well. He missed the 2 TD passes that were there yesterday, if he hits one we win another ugly one and move on, but he was off yesterday - Jesus with Cleats showing his human nature.

This offense relies on luck and individual greatness to succeed.
Any suggestion as to why Hopkins couldn't glance at the corner to see if he went with the tight end?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
If the Panthers defense can do this to our wide receivers and tight ends we are in deep doo-doo for remainder of season. Seemed like Hopkins and Watson were not on the same page.
You know dang well they weren't covering every receiver tightly with all the blitzing that was going on.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Oh I think he would love to come here. He's friends with Watson and has a great rivalry with Nuk. Trouble is the Hags will let him sit before they let us have him and I'm not sure we can afford his contract anyway.
I agree. We have almost no commodity left to give up anyway - but after watching the clowney and ab fiasco I no longer believe anything is "impossible."