Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2nd round DJ Swearinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on man. Dude is trash IMO. He's like the new version of Josh Innes.
Houston Sports talk radio? That's a scene I haven't been a part of in a long time. I used to call in frequently to the old Rich Lord and Kenny Hand show in the late 90s. Back when we didn't have an NFL team so I'd have to talk about the Dallas Cowboys instead. This was mostly in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

I briefly was a part of the 1560 AM The Game programming in 2008 and 2009. I think it's called Yahoo Sports Radio now but the past five years I've been staying away from AM radio altogether. As far as Texans coverage goes anything I can see on Fox Sports Southwest or CSN Houston, or on the Texans official website, is good enough coverage for me.

D. J. Swearinger just needs to feed off a strong pass rush. Our overall team defense is weak right now with the Jadeveon Clowney injury. We need him back and dominating. Everything else will fall into place. A guy like Swearinger would feed off of Clowney's presence. J.J. Watt is only one man. He needs more help. I think Brian Cushing is starting to look stronger which is a good sign but we need Reed and Mercilus to be more consistent.

I agree but wonder if the quality of the program has anything to do with the length of time. The lunch slots seem to get to the point where as Lance Z (who i really enjoy 90% of the time) is doing improv skits every segment now.

I think this has everything to do with who LZ is paired with. LZ's other partners were able to keep the show grounded, but Clanton is just a yes-man, no substance, LZ wannabe, and LZ ends up having to keep him grounded, which isn't how it should be.

When LZ is the one who has to say, "Enough with the inanities, let's actually talk about some sports", you know the show is imbalanced.

I liked Wright in the beginning. Then he started his holier than though crap. Payne and Meltser work really good together. My favorite was the Fred and Ted show. Then a listener got Fred fired. I don't like Ted nearly as much with Lord and Pendergast.
I was out of the loop at the time when the whole thing went down with Fred Davis. What exactly happened? I liked him too.

I don't really care for 610, other than MaD Radio with Payne and Meltser. They work really well together and have good chemistry. I had no idea they have only been on for two years together. Seth Payne is one knowledgeable and funny dude. I wouldn't he surprised if national sports radio came calling for him. Other than them, LZ, Matt Thomas, and Charlie P are all good radio.

Pretty much realized I only liked Payne and so gave up on radio. Seth could go bigger.

And for field haters go back and look at the rug that ended his career. They changed it mid season after his injury.

He said something that offended someone. Whatever it was is tight lipped.

I would love to find that listener and curb stomp him. ...

They are curled up in the fetal position and probably turning you in to the FBI right now for cyber bulling them.

Pretty much realized I only liked Payne and so gave up on radio. Seth could go bigger.

And for field haters go back and look at the rug that ended his career. They changed it mid season after his injury.

Well, that changes everything right? I mean, I know I was foolishly suggesting that we find the artificial turf they threw out of the Superdome and install it at Reliant. I assumed everyone else wanted that exact same system too.

:facepalm:

tired of him. i've got 14 points vs the colts given directly to swearinger, and a large slice of other scores as well.

he cant cover. the big play where hilton was ruled touched down by kareem was the same damn play that the cowboys ran. i paraphrase what the cowboys said "we ran this play twice in a row, we saw the safety and thought we could make a play". they scored a touchdown. so what happens? the colts do it again, and again we give up a huge play. they colts ran the combo again later to the opposite results, joseph was forced to follow the wrong route and left his sideline route uncovered.

he cant tackle. a few turnover are fantastic, but they dont make up for so many misses all year. he leaps and has zero fundamentals. i'd trade dj swag for dj do-your-job every time.

ton of talent, but junk on the field. a real liability.

He goes for the forced fumble almost every play, it's ridiculous. I know, he does cause some TOs...but he has to know playing against a great QB you can't gamble too much. Just do your job.

I hope he's benched this next game, I do think the guy has talent and can be a useful player. He just needs to tune it down, stay steady, not always look for the big play.

Disagree.

He missed some tackles. More than he should have but he wasn't a detriment to the team.

i've got 100 receiving yards and 1 touchdown 100% on swearinger. i have 2 third down conversions off the top of my head 100% on swearinger. 1 missed turnover opportunity, at least 40 yards after missed tackles, and 14 points (not counting the direct touchdown) were off of his singular mistakes.

detriment to the team.

It actually looked like technique and going for strips to me.

I mean from the standpoint of consciously not doing anything to aggravate it. I think his injury is limiting what he would normally do, perhaps reaching and grabbing while not wrapping up...I think CND mentioned this before. . He was playing better in the first couple of games. Also, his cover skills have always been suspect so nothing new there.

Last edited:
i've got 100 receiving yards and 1 touchdown 100% on swearinger. i have 2 third down conversions off the top of my head 100% on swearinger. 1 missed turnover opportunity, at least 40 yards after missed tackles, and 14 points (not counting the direct touchdown) were off of his singular mistakes.

detriment to the team.

Interesting. Try doing an honest analysis of Brian Cushing. Cushing not only misses assignments, but he turns his back regularly when engaged by blockers, can not tackle in space (at all), and is 1/2 of the worst duo of ILBs in the NFL... and he's not the better 1/2 of the duo.

I will take Swearinger's physicality, tackling, coverage, and football discipline over Cushing. His cheerleading on the sideline is comical. I have to believe the entire roster and the coaching staff are rolling their eyes at him as he rants about making plays and finishing strong, etc...

I will take Swearinger's physicality, tackling, coverage, and football discipline over Cushing.

ummm. k.

cushing's been pretty far from himself this year, but ... wow.

now, did i say anything wrong about swearinger or are you only trying to deflect to someone else poor play?

Interesting. Try doing an honest analysis of Brian Cushing. Cushing not only misses assignments, but he turns his back regularly when engaged by blockers, can not tackle in space (at all), and is 1/2 of the worst duo of ILBs in the NFL... and he's not the better 1/2 of the duo.

I will take Swearinger's physicality, tackling, coverage, and football discipline over Cushing. His cheerleading on the sideline is comical. I have to believe the entire roster and the coaching staff are rolling their eyes at him as he rants about making plays and finishing strong, etc...

Cushing is gone. At least the Cushing of old is gone. That has nothing to do with how bad a player Swearinger is. That you get all up in his jock here just tells me that you're seeing this through your own little dalemurphy glasses. Swearinger's "physicality" is about the only thing he has going for him. He can't cover to save his life, won't tackle (too busy trying to line up that ESPN SportsCenter highlight hit so he can bounce around pretending he's feeding himself (WTF?) for the cameras, and doesn't have an ounce of football discipline.

You lost me when you implied Swearinger's coverage is a positive.
Are DJ's coverage skills better than Cushing's coverage skills? Perhaps. But is that really setting the bar very high?

On 2 of the early TD's in the first quarter, Swearinger was the only person on defense that knew what to do and where everyone was supposed to lineup. He was yelling at the other players to get in position and who to cover multiple times throughout the game but the 2 TD's really stood out, one of them being Cushing and I forget the other.

I like his awareness and intensity, I agree that he can improve and shouldn't always go for the forced fumble(although 3 in 6 games is nice).

On 2 of the early TD's in the first quarter, Swearinger was the only person on defense that knew what to do and where everyone was supposed to lineup. He was yelling at the other players to get in position and who to cover multiple times throughout the game but the 2 TD's really stood out, one of them being Cushing and I forget the other.

I like his awareness and intensity, I agree that he can improve and shouldn't always go for the forced fumble(although 3 in 6 games is nice).

That's not DJ yelling at Cushing to get in position. That's communication between the two. Cush calls the front and DJ the back. Look for the green dot. It ain't on DJ's helmet.

As to the remainder of this post game...wow.

The last guy I got this fed up with was Jacoby Jones.

I'd rather have Al Swearinger at safety. Slower 40 but a better tackler. Also actually backs up his trash talk.

DJ Swearinger ‏@JungleBoi_Swagg
Str8 GARBAGE!!!! DEF WONT HAP AGAIN!!!!

Horrible performance by 36.....I mean just pathetic!!!! He'll definately do better!!!! #BELIEVEDAT played like a 1st grader!!!

He seems to be good for at least one massive coverage bust every game. Along with the missed tackles it makes it kind of hard to be on his side at times when he dances around after finally making a stop.

That would be insulting to 1st graders. If DJ could cash the checks with his play that his mouth writes, he might be decent.

As it is now, he's just a loudmouth who talks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

Try STFU and try to get to average. Just average would be a high point in your career. Right now, you stink and you can't leave this city fast enough. Your an addition by subtraction.

So no mention of the interception he should've had in the red zone? DJ was too concentrated at making the big hit, instead of paying attention to the ball. The ball ended up bouncing off his helmet. Won't get much easier pick opportunities than that one.

DJ reminds me of a one big punch boxer, if he hits it's lights out but if he misses the fight is pretty much going to the other guy. Note to an upstream post, if he was trying to protect his arm why was he tackling chest high rather than knee low? He and Lewis's play this game convinced me to keep a safety day two on my mock.

So no mention of the interception he should've had in the red zone? DJ was too concentrated at making the big hit, instead of paying attention to the ball. The ball ended up bouncing off his helmet. Won't get much easier pick opportunities than that one.

yup, came in head DOWN looking for the big hit. Bounced off the crown of his helmet. Man he is trash :kubepalm:

Even if he was looking for the int it would be difficult as hell because the receiver reached out for the ball that barely grazed his finger tips.

That's not DJ yelling at Cushing to get in position. That's communication between the two. Cush calls the front and DJ the back. Look for the green dot. It ain't on DJ's helmet.

As to the remainder of this post game...wow.

Yes but just because Cush hears the play call from the coach doesn't mean he lines everyone up correctly including himself once the offense moves around.

Call it communication but he was telling Cush and other teammates to get in position because they were not adjusting to the offense.

Yes but just because Cush hears the play call from the coach doesn't mean he lines everyone up correctly including himself once the offense moves around.

Call it communication but he was telling Cush and other teammates to get in position because they were not adjusting to the offense.

And y'all are assuming IF he was saying something about the front 7 he was correct. It's equally possible he blew the back end assignment.

And y'all are assuming IF he was saying something about the front 7 he was correct. It's equally possible he blew the back end assignment.

Exactly! I ain't never seen Swearinger with a little C on the the shoulder of his uniform. Nor have I seen him make the calls for the D, just mouthing off now and then

So fans get mad when the Texans only have "choir boys." Now fans are getting mad because he wears his heart on his sleeves.

I get being frustrated at him because of his missed tackles and blown coverages. But there is no reason to take personal shots at the guy because he is passionate. Also some of this is on the coaching staff. He should have been taught to wrap up back in training camp unless this staff has decided to take the good (forced fumbles, forced incompletions) with the bad.

So fans get mad when the Texans only have "choir boys." Now fans are getting mad because he wears his heart on his sleeves.

I get being frustrated at him because of his missed tackles and blown coverages. But there is no reason to take personal shots at the guy because he is passionate. Also some of this is on the coaching staff. He should have been taught to wrap up back in training camp unless this staff has decided to take the good (forced fumbles, forced incompletions) with the bad.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but Dj was a second round pick. He should have came in knowing how to tackle. That's not the kind of thing you need to be teaching guys playing at this level.

Besides, lots of tackles are made without wrapping a guy up. Some guys will go down when a stout 210 lb safety clotheslines him. A lot of guys. Ahmad Bradshaw isn't one of those guys & Dj should have known that.

Still, I'm happy with Swagg. He's a piece to the puzzle. & what he brings, this team desperately needs.

He'll be making plays again. He's been one of the bright spots on this defense all year.

Swearinger is among the leader in forced fumbles. No one is complaining about that. His style of play is a high risk high rewards. If he causes a fumble on every 2 missed tackles, then that's a profitable risk. On the play where he went too high on the rb, that is not his style, a brain fart, and he knows it and that's why I'm not over critical of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back