Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2nd round DJ Swearinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's going to be something special.

Talented. Super instinctive with where to be and whether to hit or wrap up, or play the ball.

The confidence is there, too.

Ed Reed, Jr.

Hopkins and swearinger make the draft for me. Just get solid players the rest of the way.

This city is going to love Hopkins and swearinger. Two passionate players that wear it on their sleeve...

And not I'm not talking about a patch on a letterman...

YHPNQuV.gif

This hit >>
Ouch, but I can see it getting flagged

YHPNQuV.gif

This hit >>

I do not see this getting flagged. He did not lead with his head, did not hit the runner in his head. Used is shoulder and hit in the chest.

Looking forward to seeing him hit some Pats, Ravens, Titans, Jags, Colts,Broncos this season.

:fans:

YHPNQuV.gif

This hit >>

Yeah, that ONE doesn't seem like flag, but after watching more on him he does have some suspect hits were he better learn to keep that head up. I love his intensity, but we don't need it costing the team in yards & him in money. Still believe he will be a good one.

We need to get flagged more.

Not for fake illegal hits. Like the bull calls watt gets.

We need to get flagged more ala pollard and reed. Receivers need to understand that we're going to take a penalty or two sometimes whilst punishing them. They don't need to be out there running around care free playing against a defense that they aren't concerned about getting their bell rung against.

Not saying be dirty, but when you play hard and aggressive and look to punish offensive players...you're going to get flagged sometimes. That's just the reality.

We need to get flagged more ala pollard and reed. Receivers need to understand that we're going to take a penalty or two sometimes whilst punishing them. They don't need to be out there running around care free playing against a defense that they aren't concerned about getting their bell rung against.

Not saying be dirty, but when you play hard and aggressive and look to punish offensive players...you're going to get flagged sometimes. That's just the reality.

Couldn't have said it any better. This team needs the aggression and that attitude. Someone who just doesn't give a **** who is lined up on the other side of the ball and intends on making them think twice about catching the ball over the middle. Cushing was exactly this as well so I have no issue with Swearinger.

I'm not particularly enamored with the pick. He'll be good, maybe very good, but he doesn't have the upside to be elite; and at 5'-10" will be a mismatch against elite TE's and some of the best WR's. He'll make the hit after the catch, but giving up 6" -8" in height, QB's can take advantage of this...B- is all I can give the pick.

I realize it is highlights on YouTube, but like this pick more and more..I hope *****inger soaks up knowledge from Ed Reed
BTW the * are a joke on his name. I really didn't curse

I'm not particularly enamored with the pick. He'll be good, maybe very good, but he doesn't have the upside to be elite; and at 5'-10" will be a mismatch against elite TE's and some of the best WR's. He'll make the hit after the catch, but giving up 6" -8" in height, QB's can take advantage of this...B- is all I can give the pick.

Troy Polamalu is listed at 5'10" as well.

Swearinger measured in at 5'10'04 with arm length of 32-3/8.

I think that's about Quin's measurement or slightly better.
Also, he's about 1/2 longer than Matt Elam who was drafted earlier.

His posted numbers in the 20SS and 3-cone are both better than Quin, suggesting that he has the agility to stay with his man.

I would have liked for him to be taller, but overall, his measurements aren't too bad.

I've changed my position on this pick a bit. I never figured FS to be a weakness going into the draft and had SS on my mind. It seems Swearinger will be groomed for FS and used in the sub-packages this next season. I like him in this role just fine - it's an excellent pick.

For SS, I want that big, fast, strong hybrid type to match up against elite TE's and big #2 receivers in the short middle zone.

I could stand a few more flags, but them receivers were getting dikdirted all year long. Kj is mean, Manning don't give a fug, and Quins a hitter. I even remember seeing Jjo take a couple of heads off..... didn't get flagged, should've, but didn't.

They deny it, but I think Welker dropped all them balls, because he was looking/expecting for the off defender.

Troy Polamalu is listed at 5'10" as well.

The difference, is that Polamalu was on the field every down, giving him ample opportunity to make plays. Swearinger will be coming off the bench & have to make the most of limited opportunity.

favorite pick in the draft for sure. guy takes some dumb penalties but that will go away with time, ed reed will mentor him

favorite pick in the draft for sure. guy takes some dumb penalties but that will go away with time, ed reed will mentor him

That would be like :potkettle:. Ed's been fined and had a suspension rescinded for headhunting. That said, he does play mean. I hope he can learn to reel it in a little. It sure likes he's got a little Bernard Pollard in him.

I hope he's better than Arthur Brown, because apparently that's who the Texans were going to take until Baltimore traded ahead of them to get him.

I had no idea Sam Montgomery and Swearinger were highschool teammates...

I must have missed that...

Good interview. Nothing ground breaking, but you can tell this guy loves football. Hearing him talk about being in the same room with Ed Reed made me smile. Says he loves to watch film to pick up any advantages he can on his opponent. Feels like the middle of the field belongs to him and he's basically there to make QB's Recievers and backs pay for trying to make plays in his area.

He played RB, QB and Safety in highschool. Sam Montgomery was a DE and he said Sam made it easy for him and he looks forward to more of the same in the pros.

Sean Porter LB Texas A&M, Jesse Williams DT Alabama, David Quessenberry G/T San Jose State...

This guy. Love this guy.

WE GOT A FREAKING STEAL. I think that in approximately 2 years Brennan Williams and Quessenberry will be starting. Brown is inked in at LT and they drafted Williams to play RT. I think that Quessenberry will eventually replace Wade Smith and can slide outside if an injury occurs. High on him too. Knows how to do the little things like Hopkins.

Good find Brett, he really seems to be pro ready against the run. I am just curious to see how far along his coverage game is.

Last edited:
With all the positives said about him (and i believe them all). It makes me wonder why did he last all the way to late 2nd rd?

Anyone?

With all the positives said about him (and i believe them all). It makes me wonder why did he last all the way to late 2nd rd?

Anyone?

He can be overly aggressive and this shows up in a lot of ways. He picks up a lot of penalties because of that. He'll also go for the big hit instead of wrapping up sometimes. He'll be over-aggressive against the run and sometimes blow coverage assignments.

There were worries that he didn't have the range to be a good safety in coverage.

And then there are the worries about his height.

Late 2nd round was about where he was expected to go.

Anyone?

It happens...

There are other players teams like more for whatever reason. I wouldn't get too caught up in supposed negatives as every prospect has a list of negatives.

I'd just look at it like there were other players selected ahead of him that other teams valued higher.

It's not like he fell to the fifth round. 2nd round is a good place to be taken.

He can be overly aggressive and this shows up in a lot of ways. He picks up a lot of penalties because of that. He'll also go for the big hit instead of wrapping up sometimes. He'll be over-aggressive against the run and sometimes blow coverage assignments.

There were worries that he didn't have the range to be a good safety in coverage.

I agree his 40 was horrible. But he doesnt play like a 4.67 at all. I would've easily said a low 4.5, easily as fast as Elam.

His over aggressiveniss might play well in the sub package, as somewhat of a LB. against the run.

He's definitely aggressive, but I think the TFL's outweigh the negatives here in terms of how often he is right vs how often he is wrong.

His aggressiveness reminds me of linebacker Vontaze Burfict who had 16 personal fouls thru his junior year. Considered a 2011 first rounder, he went undrafted 2012 after leaving school early. Became starter in third week for Bengals getting 127 tackles team high.

While Burfict did fail marijuana test at combine, his on field skills were crazy good but was a penalty flag waiting to happen. I am not concerned about GRR! at all.

His aggressiveness reminds me of linebacker Vontaze Burfict who had 16 personal fouls thru his junior year. Considered a 2011 first rounder, he went undrafted 2012 after leaving school early. Became starter in third week for Bengals getting 127 tackles team high.

While Burfict did fail marijuana test at combine, his on field skills were crazy good but was a penalty flag waiting to happen. I am not concerned about GRR! at all.

Me either, at this point. If he develops a rep like Bernard Pollard did and draws a flag if he even breathes on a receiver then that would be a problem.

Hope that doesn't happen.

Everytime I see Swearinger I think about this song:

Bad girls ain't no good, and the good girls ain't no fun
And the hood girls want a smart *****, college girls all want a thug
So it seems we fiend what we don't need
Got a thing for a queen who know when to leave
I ain't bout to judge you, don't judge me
You ain't gotta really sing about your rap sheet
Cause I heard you (bad nooo)
In the literal sense I mean that

He looks like Wale to me:

D.J.+Swearinger.jpg

wale-fence.jpg

Dude looked like he was giving Jennings a celebratory shoulder bump. It was actually comical because of how bad it looked.

Sharpton did nothing but catch his block and was easily taken out of the play.

Dude looked like he was giving Jennings a celebratory shoulder bump. It was actually comical because of how bad it looked.

Sharpton did nothing but catch his block and was easily taken out of the play.

Sigh.. welcome to the new NFL where love taps are only allowed if you are a receiver, and then when the real men play you get your face ripped off then run for a TD.

The more interesting thing for me was that Jennings then outran everyone else.. including our corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back