Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2nd round (40) : Ross Blacklock DT TCU

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yea, I am going to trust Daniel Jeremiah and John Harris who said Blacklock was a top 20 talent more; how can you not be happy getting this guy where we got him?
If healthy Blacklock is a great pick.

If Balcklock/Greenard are all that then the Texans are going to be much better on the defensive side of the ball.

At 111 Give me Robertson/RR II or Lynch. If I go offense (which I would if the listed players were available. Really talented guys

Charles, these guys dont get it. Charles is going to be available. I would be favorable to just pricing

It cones wn to Brady,

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
This is a horrible pick but expected something like this from BOB so I can’t really say I’m surprised.
Horrible pick? If he can give you some pressure and penetration between the tackles, that's a big get. And much needed with the loss of Reader.

I crush OB as much as anybody but I only do so because it's usually always warranted. I don't think that applies here. It might not be a great pick but I think it's far from horrible. In fact, early grades (taken with a grain of salt of course) are giving the Texans an A with both their picks. I think it's hard to argue against that.

RGV82

Random guy
Horrible pick? If he can give you some pressure and penetration between the tackles, that's a big get. And much needed with the loss of Reader.

I crush OB as much as anybody but I only do so because it's usually always warranted. I don't think that applies here. It might not be a great pick but I think it's far from horrible. In fact, early grades (taken with a grain of salt of course) are giving the Texans an A with both their picks. I think it's hard to argue against that.
Yeah, I'll admit I overreacted after this pick. I was really hoping for an Edge and had my heart set on Epenesa, but after looking more into Blacklock, and getting Greenard at 90, I am happy with round 2.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Yea, I am going to trust Daniel Jeremiah and John Harris who said Blacklock was a top 20 talent more; how can you not be happy getting this guy where we got him?
After comments upstream, I'm uncertain where he's going to find playing time. I've googled and corrected myself, but I was thinking the 3 technique was the inside shoulder of the OG, when it is the outside shoulder. So, if he's going to be a 3 down player, he'll be competing with Omenihu?

As a rookie last year, Omenihu had 3 sacks, 2 pass deflections and 2 forced fumbles. For a 5th round pick, and knowing OB's aversion to playing rookies, not bad production. I was expecting major improvement in his second year. Now what?

So, will Blacklock's rookie role be a situational pass rusher when we're in a 4 man front, with him playing the 3 technique?

???

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Interesting. How recent is the study and how did their data collection differ? It conflicts with past studies you've posted, specifically around the time DeMeco Ryans ruptured his Achilles. That one concluded that a best cast scenario for those who returned was regaining 80% of their explosiveness off the affected limb. Is there new data since then that identifies a sub group of outliers? If so, this would be very good news, and I'd be curious about the conditions of the player and the injury that allow for that sub group.
Times have totally changed from when Demeco Ryans' review of the NFL Achilles study.............not so much in surgical techniques, but in the postop rehab tools and approach...............but no doubt for the better.

The 2009 study I reviewed was a retrospective review of several online NFL player registries which identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. There was a postinjury reduction of 88%, 83%, and 78% in power ratings for wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends, respectively, over a 3-year period. There was a 95%, 87%, and 64% postinjury reduction in power ratings for linebackers, cornerbacks, and defensive tackles over a 3-year period. On average, players experienced a greater than 50% reduction in their power ratings following such an injury. Thirty-two percent (10) of NFL players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture did not return to play in the NFL.

This new March 2019 study reviewed 80 NFL players were identified as having primary Achilles tendon tears between the 2009 and 2014 seasons.

Brisco_County........that is as much detail that I feel is necessary outside of a medical/surgical arena (or that I have time for), to understand where an NFL player stands today after an Achilles tendon rupture. Again, time marches on...........and, thankfully, improved results post many injuries also follows.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Times have totally changed from when Demeco Ryans' review of the NFL Achilles study.............not so much in surgical techniques, but in the postop rehab tools and approach...............but no doubt for the better.

The 2009 study I reviewed was a retrospective review of several online NFL player registries which identified 31 Achilles tendon ruptures in NFL players between 1997 and 2002. There was a postinjury reduction of 88%, 83%, and 78% in power ratings for wide receivers, running backs, and tight ends, respectively, over a 3-year period. There was a 95%, 87%, and 64% postinjury reduction in power ratings for linebackers, cornerbacks, and defensive tackles over a 3-year period. On average, players experienced a greater than 50% reduction in their power ratings following such an injury. Thirty-two percent (10) of NFL players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture did not return to play in the NFL.

This new March 2019 study reviewed 80 NFL players were identified as having primary Achilles tendon tears between the 2009 and 2014 seasons. Thanks as always for everything you do here; we can't say it enough.

Brisco_County........that is as much detail that I feel is necessary outside of a medical/surgical arena (or that I have time for), to understand where an NFL player stands today after an Achilles tendon rupture. Again, time marches on...........and, thankfully, improved results post many injuries also follows.
Well it's really good news. Until now, this particular injury was like a grim reaper of athletic careers, and now players have hope. More than a glimmer it appears.

Maybe eventually when you're not in the fray of a pandemic and an NFL draft we can talk more about the data and improved rehab behind this, because it's worth understanding. Thanks as always for everything you do here; we can't say it enough.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Very good pick/value here. Like speed at WR teams covet players who can provide an interior pass rush. Hopefully Blacklock and an improved Omenihu will provide that. Defense will look different this season. Less run stopping ability but more pass rush/big play potential playing aggressive man coverage (hopefully).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Well it's really good news. Until now, this particular injury was like a grim reaper of athletic careers, and now players have hope. More than a glimmer it appears.

Maybe eventually when you're not in the fray of a pandemic and an NFL draft we can talk more about the data and improved rehab behind this, because it's worth understanding. Thanks as always for everything you do here; we can't say it enough.
One thing about the study, although positions didn't really standout for return to play percentage and return performance, RBs still had suspect numbers, in that their sample size during that period was small.........and there were still noticeable decreases in both. My interpretation for Achilles ruptures in a RB remains the prognosis for return and return to any effective extent is still poor.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Not only that, but if no one inside can beat one-on-ones, offenses can easily double the edges. Both of them.
With the selection of Greenard, is it possible to see Greenard and Omenihu outside at DE and Watt moving inside to pair with Blacklock? That should give us a strong inside push to go with an outside rush.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
With the selection of Greenard, is it possible to see Greenard and Omenihu outside at DE and Watt moving inside to pair with Blacklock? That should give us a strong inside push to go with an outside rush.
With his history of core and lower extremity injuries, I have my real doubts about Watt's performance this season, and his ability to even make it through the season. Keeping him mostly on the outside, allows him to encounter the least amount of resistance/trauma. Putting him inside will continually stress his core and lower extremities to the limits and give him a greater short cut to Hollywood than he already has.

zshawn10

All Pro
• For what it’s worth, I believe the Texans would’ve taken TCU DT Ross Blacklock—a twitchy, athletic force with strong character—at 26, had they not made the deal for Laremy Tunsil with that pick. As it was, he was clearly their top guy going into Day 2, ranked only behind Auburn’s Derrick Brown and South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw among all the interior defensive linemen on Houston’s board, and they got him at 40, the pick acquired in the DeAndre Hopkins trade. Should that change how you view the Tunsil trade vs. the Hopkins trade? Maybe not. But I’d say if they got the same player at one spot (40) that they would’ve at the other (26) that contextualizes everything a little. Coach Bill O’Brien has said repeatedly that he sees this, because of the pandemic, as the sort of year where veterans are going to be important. He should hope so, given that the team used picks this year to acquire Tunsil, Gareon Conley and Duke Johnson (the latter two became new Patriots TE Devin Asiasi and new Browns LB Jacob Phillips, the 91st and 97th picks).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans' Ross Blacklock among bumper crop of Houston-area talent
May 3, 2020

HOUSTON -- New Houston Texans defensive tackle Ross Blacklock grew up with a basketball in his hand. His father, Jimmy, played at the University of Texas before performing with the Harlem Globetrotters from 1974 to 1987. Jimmy coached the team for more than 10 years as well.

Even though Blacklock first dunked a basketball when he was 13 years old, he couldn’t resist the call to football. He joked that “basketball was just too soft” for him, and said he used to always foul out when he was playing in AAU games.
“I’d come off football season and go straight to basketball,” Blacklock said at the NFL combine. “Sometimes I’d be too aggressive, and I was like, 'Dang, this is just too soft for me sometimes.' But it’s a good sport. I’m glad I got into it. But I just like the physicality of [football]. You’ve got to be tough.”

Led by WR CeeDee Lamb, who was picked by the Cowboys, Houston-area high schools produced 13 players in the NFL draft, including four in the first round. Ten were picked in the first three rounds:
PLAYERPOS.ROUND
CeeDee LambWR1 (17)
K'Lavon ChaissonLB1 (20)
Kenneth MurrayLB1 (23)
Jordyn BrooksLB1 (27)
Ross BlacklockDT2 (40)
Grant DelpitS2 (44)
Antoine Winfield Jr.S2 (45)
Jalen HurtsQB2 (53)
Josh JonesOT3 (72)
Jordan ElliottDT3 (88)

It’s no shock that Blacklock, now 6-foot-4 and 305 pounds, eventually found his way onto the gridiron instead of the hardwood. He did grow up in Texas, perhaps the country’s foremost high school football hotbed, where 33 of the players picked in the draft last week grew up, by far the most of any state. It was the first time Texas led all states in players drafted since 2016.

Blacklock, who went to Elkins High School in Missouri City, was one of 13 players from a Houston-area high school who was drafted last week.

THE REST OF THE STORY

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans' Ross Blacklock among bumper crop of Houston-area talent
May 3, 2020

HOUSTON -- New Houston Texans defensive tackle Ross Blacklock grew up with a basketball in his hand. His father, Jimmy, played at the University of Texas before performing with the Harlem Globetrotters from 1974 to 1987. Jimmy coached the team for more than 10 years as well.

Even though Blacklock first dunked a basketball when he was 13 years old, he couldn’t resist the call to football. He joked that “basketball was just too soft” for him, and said he used to always foul out when he was playing in AAU games.
“I’d come off football season and go straight to basketball,” Blacklock said at the NFL combine. “Sometimes I’d be too aggressive, and I was like, 'Dang, this is just too soft for me sometimes.' But it’s a good sport. I’m glad I got into it. But I just like the physicality of [football]. You’ve got to be tough.”

Led by WR CeeDee Lamb, who was picked by the Cowboys, Houston-area high schools produced 13 players in the NFL draft, including four in the first round. Ten were picked in the first three rounds:
PLAYERPOS.ROUND
CeeDee LambWR1 (17)
K'Lavon ChaissonLB1 (20)
Kenneth MurrayLB1 (23)
Jordyn BrooksLB1 (27)
Ross BlacklockDT2 (40)
Grant DelpitS2 (44)
Antoine Winfield Jr.S2 (45)
Jalen HurtsQB2 (53)
Josh JonesOT3 (72)
Jordan ElliottDT3 (88)

It’s no shock that Blacklock, now 6-foot-4 and 305 pounds, eventually found his way onto the gridiron instead of the hardwood. He did grow up in Texas, perhaps the country’s foremost high school football hotbed, where 33 of the players picked in the draft last week grew up, by far the most of any state. It was the first time Texas led all states in players drafted since 2016.

Blacklock, who went to Elkins High School in Missouri City, was one of 13 players from a Houston-area high school who was drafted last week.

THE REST OF THE STORY
I didn't know Winfield Jr is from Houston.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was