Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2nd round (40) : Ross Blacklock DT TCU

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Reader was a NT. This dude isn't. I'm holding my opinion until CnD weighs in on his 2018 Achilles injury.
Doesn't look like the Achilles slowed him down last season. I'm no doctor but from what I remember the biggest issue with coming back from an Achilles is time.

If he wasn't his old self in 2019, he's going to be a monster in 2020.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Doesn't look like the Achilles slowed him down last season. I'm no doctor but from what I remember the biggest issue with coming back from an Achilles is time.

In my experience around athletes you are never the same after an Achilles. You can still be very good after but you’ll never be what you were or could’ve been. It’s a crazy injury for explosion-based athletes.

And, once you’ve had one you’re more likely to have another.

Doc knows best so I’ll defer. That’s just what I’ve seen.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I'm waiting on CnD, but think of the stresses put on an Achilles trying to bull rush and being on the balls of your feet.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
I like the pick, solid 3 tech. He wrecked the line against Baylor last year, the achilles seems to be a thing of the past because he was incredibly agile in that game. Obrien is still a big poopyhead though.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The achilles is believed to have evolved into usage about 2 to 3 million years ago, which means that homo habilis and homo erectus developed it for us, since we weren't around at the time. The achilles heel helped early humans to run faster and for longer periods of time and also acts as a sort of shock absorber when jumping, it did not evolve for the usage that NFL players put on it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He is NOT an upgrade from Reader. Completely different skill sets. Reader is Wilfork 2.0. This guy is a 3-5 technique player who doesn't have the size to clog the middle and let the ILBs make plays.
I don't expect to see same dline plays as we did with Reader and he slid out to DE area more than many would guess. He will be faster than Reader but IMO playing slight different role.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
PFF has positive things to say:

7. ROSS BLACKLOCK, TCU
Draft Board Rank: 54th
With all the stunts and slants TCU’s defensive line throws at their opponents, properly evaluating their defensive linemen can be a chore. You simply don’t get as many true one-on-one interactions to see how a guy wins. Even still, Blacklock showed of NFL-level physical tools on a consistent basis. He has as much range as any defensive tackle in the class to make plays up and down the line of scrimmage. His 8.3 run stop percentage ranked 12th among Power-5 defensive tackles in college football.

Blacklock was one of the most productive freshman defensive tackles in the country with a 68.9 overall grade back in 2017 before his 2018 season was cut short with an Achilles tear. He showed no ill effects from that injury in 2019 where his 89.5 run defense grade was one of the highest in the country.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Missed all of 2018 with Achilles tear.
Oh snap.

He is NOT an upgrade from Reader. Completely different skill sets. Reader is Wilfork 2.0. This guy is a 3-5 technique player who doesn't have the size to clog the middle and let the ILBs make plays.
Reader ranks right behind Arian Foster as the greatest steal in Texans history.

There's no way to tell what Blacklock will be, but safe to say he won't be the $56 million nose we just lost.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Why did the ESPN crew say the advisory committee recommended he stay at TCU for his senior year - what was it based on?
The committee only gives three grades:
First Round
Second Round
Stay in School

I’m not sure if they even provide much feedback at all as to the grade you receive. It’s not even really a helpful tool for the NFL. It is pretty much used as a way to get kids to stay in school and graduate instead of leaving early for the draft.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
The achilles is believed to have evolved into usage about 2 to 3 million years ago, which means that homo habilis and homo erectus developed it for us, since we weren't around at the time. The achilles heel helped early humans to run faster and for longer periods of time and also acts as a sort of shock absorber when jumping, it did not evolve for the usage that NFL players put on it.
Another 200,000 years of football player evolution will fix that.

1587778164112.png

zshawn10

All Pro
I really like this pic for the Houston Texans. Blacklock has excellent lateral quickness and can really be disruptive in the gap’s. If the Texans scheme him properly, he can start to have an impact against the run and pass very quickly. Good job of addressing a pressing need.
— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) April 24, 2020

Overview
Flashes menacing disruptive qualities as a gap seeker, but is just ordinary when forced to sit and take on blocks. Blacklock rebounded from a 2018 Achilles injury and showed off basketball quickness that was often too much for a single blocker. However, his technique and hand usage need work, as he’s inconsistent holding the point and keeping his feet. He’s a hit-or-miss run defender, but he’s a relentless pass rusher with elite lateral quickness and change of direction to exploit interior galoots and open pathways to the pocket. Blacklock needs development as a one-gapping three-technique with rare movement talent and intriguing rush potential.
Strengths
Extremely athletic and agile in short spaces
Knees stay bent and pads stay low
Snappy initial quickness
Can find and split a double-team crevice
Leverage and leg drive to play under and through edge blocks
Rush instincts of a defensive end
Never in one place for long as a rusher
Elite lateral quickness and directional change unlock his disruption
Changes speeds and stride length to tilt blockers and loosen the edge
Plays with fast hands and sudden arm-over
Impossible for only one player to mirror
Relentless pass-rush energy
Weaknesses
Missed all of 2018 with Achilles tear
Drops head into double-team challenges
Inconsistent as two-gapper
Struggles keeping pads square on the move
Needs improved hand placement and angles for quicker shed
Knocked around by interior power
Ends up on the ground too often
Loses rush momentum to a stiff punch
Failed to convert pressures to sacks at a steady clip
RANK 19
Ross Blacklock, DT

School: TCU | Year: Junior (RS)
Previous rank: 19
Blacklock is a dynamic interior defensive lineman. As a pass rusher, he launches out of his four-point stance and his bull rush is ferocious. He creates immediate knock-back. He is ultra-twitchy. He flashes a long-arm move where he can jolt, separate and finish. As a run defender, he successfully stacks and sheds single blocks, but he needs to improve his awareness and effectiveness versus double teams, where he gets washed down the line. He does have some durability concerns, but his skill set is special. Overall, Blacklock comes with some risk, but he’s worth it. He has the potential to develop into a top-flight interior pass rusher.
Daniel Jeremiah’s top 150 prospects in the 2020 NFL Draft class

published April 20th, 2020

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
First of all, let me say that I hate BOB. If I don't say that no one will read my post and I'll get flamed.

Should have just kept Reader.
Don't get me wrong, Reader is awesome, but based on the obvious salary cap issues that are lurking for this team, you have to cut payroll in other areas. Although I wouldn't do it that way, I understand that we need to pay guys like Tunsil and Watson first. I think there will not be a significant drop off with this pick because he's clearly an elite run stuffer.

And I hate BOB, meaning Bill O'Brien. Just wanted to clarify to gatekeepers.

zshawn10

All Pro
Entering the draft there was only a 12% chance Ross Blacklock would be available at pick No. 40, per ESPN's NFL Draft Predictor.

— Sarah Barshop (@sarahbarshop) April 24, 2020

Texans DT Ross Blacklock on being drafted by hometown team: 'I had pretty high hopes for the first round. I'm beyond excited to play in my hometown and do great things for the city and play great football. I'm just excited.'

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 25, 2020

Former #Texans defensive lineman @SethCPayne breaks down the #Texans #NFLDraft2020 pick at No. 40, Ross Blacklock. #TexansDraft #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/7BgQ9i58X1

— SportsRadio 610 (@SportsRadio610) April 25, 2020

Blacklock grew up watching #Texans, recalls attending a game and watching Brian Cushing and Andre Johnson play. Says it will be "surreal" to now play next to J.J. Watt.

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) April 25, 2020

Blacklock feels the #TCU scheme translates well to what Anthony Weaver is going to run with the #Texans. Blacklock feels he is prepared for the situation.

— patrick the brick wall (@PatDStat) April 25, 2020

One of the few players the #Texans worked out before the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Spent a full day with OB at NRG Stadium. https://t.co/LQgLrW3fqg

— patrick the brick wall (@PatDStat) April 24, 2020

Blacklock, on what he brings: physicality, passion, leadership, relentless effort.

— Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) April 25, 2020

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't expect to see same dline plays as we did with Reader and he slid out to DE area more than many would guess. He will be faster than Reader but IMO playing slight different role.
He is 60 lbs. lighter. He can't help but play a different role.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Has a big 12 offensive lineman been drafted? Where's the film against a top notch lineman.

I guess it's a solid pick because everyone was high on him.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Reader was a NT. This dude isn't. I'm holding my opinion until CnD weighs in on his 2018 Achilles injury.
According to the most recent study re. Achilles ruptures, the most predictive factor for future performance for those who are able to return (~65% never return to play) is the number of games played prior to the injury and no significant decrease in performance in the season prior to injury The current study examined all positions and found that the players who did return to play played in significantly fewer regular season games in their return season versus the season preceding injury. Notably however, these players returned to their preinjury levels of regular games played and started when allowed to play >1 season following injury.

It seems that Blacklock falls into a very favorable group, especially since he did not have to wait >1 year to regain performance. In fact, he performed better the year of his return than the the season prior to his injury. He has already exceeded the best of prognoses. Again, the future is elusive, but he looks like he has an excellent chance of excelling beyond what would have to be considered an excellent comeback...........one that if it translates to the NFL could mean we have potentially picked up a diamond......and not one in the rough.

My final comment...........For this 290 lb man to post a 29 inch vertical jump during the Combine, he may not have burned up the world, but he did have to have had a very strong Achilles repair.

badboy

Hall of Fame
According to the most recent study re. Achilles ruptures, the most predictive factor for future performance for those who are able to return (~65% never return to play) is the number of games played prior to the injury and no significant decrease in performance in the season prior to injury The current study examined all positions and found that the players who did return to play played in significantly fewer regular season games in their return season versus the season preceding injury. Notably however, these players returned to their preinjury levels of regular games played and started when allowed to play >1 season following injury.

It seems that Blacklock falls into a very favorable group, especially since he did not have to wait >1 year to regain performance. In fact, he performed better the year of his return than the the season prior to his injury. He has already exceeded the best of prognoses. Again, the future is elusive, but he looks like he has an excellent chance of excelling beyond what would have to be considered an excellent comeback...........one that if it translates to the NFL could mean we have potentially picked up a diamond......and not one in the rough.

My final comment...........For this 290 lb man to post a 29 inch vertical jump during the Combine, he may not have burned up the world, but he did have to have had a very strong Achilles repair.
Thanks Doc I think that vert will help him here in Houston.

Texazan

Our HOF 34

Achilles happend August 2018, 9 months later, May of 2019 he was back at it for his junior season, went first team All Big 12 and said I'm gone. 9 months and then tore it up, you could be right about 2020

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I wanted one of the stud DL's with interior pass rush skills, but thought we would grab one of the stud safeties, I guess Gipson may be coming back if he is healthy now. I don't see all these safeties besides Reid and Gipson as starters, Murray seemed like depth and ST, but for what they paid him maybe they think he is ready to start, but the Browns did not think so. Good depth signing here, and I am happy the Texans do focus on ST, it matters

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps

Interesting. How recent is the study and how did their data collection differ? It conflicts with past studies you've posted, specifically around the time DeMeco Ryans ruptured his Achilles. That one concluded that a best cast scenario for those who returned was regaining 80% of their explosiveness off the affected limb. Is there new data since then that identifies a sub group of outliers? If so, this would be very good news, and I'd be curious about the conditions of the player and the injury that allow for that sub group.

Last edited:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
TBO on our defense we needed help on a 2 phases lots of holes

on the front 7 and in the secondary

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I thought the production of our dl specifically in pass rush was poor and am glad we're trying to address it. He may or may not work out out but at least we took a shot at it. Better then the tight end or place kicker from Phoenix university I thought we'd pick.