Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 NFL Scouting Combine

What does the S2 test have to do with throwing at the combine?
It has to do with agents not wanting to overexpose their clients to possible negative coverage, with minimal to gain, and a lot to lose.

Opting out… a trend that’s only going to get worse

“Or better, if you talk to agents who are protecting bottom lines and advising their players to avoid anything that has more downside than upside. A good example of that would be agencies such as Rosenhaus Sports and Athletes First instructing their clients to decline cognitive testing such as the S2 and Wonderlic exams. Historically, the Wonderlic had a propensity to see the worst scores leaked to the media in what was often framed as attempts to smear the draft value of players. And last year during the draft preparations, former Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud and others had poor S2 scores become a significant source of media coverage. That has led to a wide swath of agents advising their clients to refuse the tests — although to date, only Athletes First and Rosenhaus Sports have publicly confirmed that stance.”

It has to do with agents not wanting to overexpose their clients to possible negative coverage, with minimal to gain, and a lot to lose.

Opting out… a trend that’s only going to get worse
Well. there have always been QBs that skipped throwing at the combine. NFL Network ran thru guys who did or didn't throw at previous combines. Most of the guys that don't throw were already top 10 guys.

The S2 is different, because it became negative due to someone leaked the scores, both good and bad. That could hurt any QB in the draft. Though I think the test has been debunked.

Well. there have always been QBs that skipped throwing at the combine. NFL Network ran thru guys who did or didn't throw at previous combines. Most of the guys that don't throw were already top 10 guys.

The S2 is different, because it became negative due to someone leaked the scores, both good and bad. That could hurt any QB in the draft. Though I think the test has been debunked.
I’m glad we don’t need a QB, but I like Penix’s mindset here. I’d rather have a guy that likes to compete.

One guy beating the odds doesn't mean something has been debunked.

RT- Guyton (OK) is still my first pick. Getting the final OL piece in place will make Stroud and the running game better. If this final piece gives Stroud, Collins, and Dell just a second longer in a cleaner pocket…..defenses will pay dearly.

Another nice WR for this offense can certainly be had later…..a top RT isn’t going to be there after RD2.

I’d like to see the Texans first 5 picks fall in this order:

023: RT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma)
059: RB- Jaylen Wright (Tennessee)
086: SS- Jaden Hicks (Washington)
124: WR- Luke McCaffrey (Rice)
128: CB- Jaylin Simpson (Auburn)

Texans would be re-signing a few of their DL and LB’er pieces. Caserio and Ryans could get a big impact FA piece for DE and/or DL. The Texans DL didn’t do to bad at all last season. As for the offense, I’m very good with Schultz returning. I’d also be okay with Barkley coming in to share the carries or carry the load until Wright has proven he’s ready to take over.

Last edited:
RT- Guyton (OK) is still my first pick. Getting the final OL piece in place will make Stroud and the running game better. If this final piece gives Stroud, Collins, and Dell just a second longer in a cleaner pocket…..defenses will pay dearly.

Another nice WR for this offense can certainly be had later…..a top RT isn’t going to be there after RD2.

Texans would be re-signing a few of the DL and LB’er pieces. Caserio and Ryans could get a big impact FA piece for DE and/or DL. The Texans DL didn’t do to bad at all last season. As for the offense, I’m very good with Schultz returning. I’d also be okay with Barkley coming in to share the carries or carry the load until Wright has proven he’s ready to take over.
So what do you with the current right tackle that just got extended?

Lick your wounds after June 1st….or save him until the trade deadline and move him when another team needs an OT most.
So the Texans needs a rt by some, but they're going to draft 1 in the 1st rd which makes no sense and trade the one to a team that needs one? Why wouldn't the team that needs one just do the same? Too many resources allocated to the oline in my position. The run game will improve with better talent either in fa or the draft. They don't have to be like the ravens, they can be like the lions and just add imo.

I was going to look back and see the highest number of 1st round, 2nd round, and 3rd round WRs from previous drafts. It's possible this draft breaks some of those records.
Most WRs in 1st: 7
Most WRs in 2nd: 10
Most WRs in 3rd: 8
Most WRs in top 3 rounds: 17

I think 7 WRs in 1st is in play. The Texans are a team that could push that number to 7 or over. And I think WRs thru round 3 could go over 17. Whether WRs like FSU's Johnny Wilson or Bama's Jermaine Burton go 3rd oth 4th round could determine that. But what position is drafted most thru 3 rounds? WRs or CBs?

Too many resources allocated to the oline in my position.
But if one major resource can't get on the field, that changes the equation. Because priority #1 is protecting the franchise QB.

Troy Fautanu would makes sense at 1.23. Can play RT until Howard gets healthy, and then kick inside and possibly play OG at a Pro Bowl level. If Howard can't make it back, RT is still taken care of for 5 years.

So the Texans needs a rt by some, but they're going to draft 1 in the 1st rd which makes no sense and trade the one to a team that needs one? Why wouldn't the team that needs one just do the same? Too many resources allocated to the oline in my position. The run game will improve with better talent either in fa or the draft. They don't have to be like the ravens, they can be like the lions and just add imo.

Way WAY too many resources! They need another, another, and another high draft pick offensive lineman like they need another hole in the head. When is it time to start spreading the wealth around? They have arguably the highest paid O lines in the league already. When is enough enough?

It’s irrelevant anyway. I think Ryans is going defensive front, unless he’s not the shot caller that everyone thinks he is.

But if one major resource can't get on the field, that changes the equation. Because priority #1 is protecting the franchise QB.

Troy Fautanu would makes sense at 1.23. Can play RT until Howard gets healthy, and then kick inside and possibly play OG at a Pro Bowl level. If Howard can't make it back, RT is still taken care of for 5 years.
Who is the franchise rt for KC, SF, etc? When you're a franchise qb, you have to negotiate positions. If you can't,you're not a franchise qb. You can't have franchise/high picks at every position on the oline. It makes no sense. As long as the dude is solid, the oline can slide.

I think we go defense in 1st with either a T or Edge rusher to compliment WA Jr. Then I think we go WR in 2nd unless a very good OT or CB is there. Especially if we take care of business and sign Saquon in FA.

Texans would be re-signing a few of their DL and LB’er pieces. Caserio and Ryans could get a big impact FA piece for DE and/or DL. The Texans DL didn’t do to bad at all last season. As for the offense, I’m very good with Schultz returning. I’d also be okay with Barkley coming in to share the carries or carry the load until Wright has proven he’s ready to take over.
Not what I would do, but I would be very happy with this mock.

I'm hoping Caserio can sign Wilkins and re-sign Barnett. If Thomas is off the board then I would love to see the first 4 rds in the draft go like this.

FA Wilkins/Barkley and S Whitehead

1. Chop Edge
2. Fiske DT
3. Max Melton CB
3. After trading up using a 4th and a future 3rd Pearsall WR
4. Nate Watson LB
7. Best punter available. Iowa's punter, cant remember his name
7. Mark Perry S
7. Isaac Rex TE

Offense

QB, Stroud, Mills, cheap vet

RB, Barkley/Motor/UDFA/O

FB, Hairston/Jordan

WR's,Collins/Dell/Pearsall/Metchie/Hutcheson/Sims.

TE's Schultz/Rex /Jordan/Saubert

OT's Tunsil/Howard/Jones/Zierer

Green x 2/ Mason/Scruggs/Patterson/Broeker

Defense

Edge- WA/Chop/Barnett/Horton/Sanders

DT's Wilkins/Collins/Fiske/Tart/Davis/Hinish

LB's Harris/Cashman/Watson/Hewitt/Hansen/UDFA

CB's Stingley/Melton/Petrie/Ross/Nelson/Hollman

S, Ward/Whitehead/Amos/Carson-Houston/Perry

That's a young fast defense and playmakers have been added with Barkley/Pearsall.

That's a young fast defense and an offense that should be much better this yr.

Last edited:

I've never been sold on Howard or Fant's work at RT. With that being said, the team needs a better answer at RT.....unless you have a better one in mind, that's currently on the roster? I view Guyton as the RT with the most upside in the draft.

A very relatable situation is RB. Singletary had a very good season after not starting for the first two games and playing behind a very crappy OL in the run game. Everyone wants Barkley for more money without taking into consideration what Singletary may do behind an improved OL and starting from the get-go. Why not just re-sign Singletary and use the extra financial resources somewhere else? Or, would you consider Barkley a marked improvement over Singletary for more money?

Last edited:
Most WRs in 1st: 7
Most WRs in 2nd: 10
Most WRs in 3rd: 8
Most WRs in top 3 rounds: 17

I think 7 WRs in 1st is in play. The Texans are a team that could push that number to 7 or over. And I think WRs thru round 3 could go over 17. Whether WRs like FSU's Johnny Wilson or Bama's Jermaine Burton go 3rd oth 4th round could determine that. But what position is drafted most thru 3 rounds? WRs or CBs?

WR's

Way WAY too many resources! They need another, another, and another high draft pick offensive lineman like they need another hole in the head. When is it time to start spreading the wealth around? They have arguably the highest paid O lines in the league already. When is enough enough?

It’s irrelevant anyway. I think Ryans is going defensive front, unless he’s not the shot caller that everyone thinks he is.

Wow....nothing is guaranteed from the draft. One guarantee the Texans got on offense....a franchise QB. Smart teams would ensure that their franchise QB is protected, regardless of what the prior investments in the OL were, especially if those investments go down due to injury. Same would go for the weapons the team provides him with.

Sorry CJ, looks like you're going to be running for your life this season b/c we've invested way too much into the OL to do any more investments.

Last edited:
I've never been sold on Howard or Fant's work at RT. With that being said, the team needs a better answer at RT.....unless you have a better one in mind, that's currently on the roster? I view Guyton as the RT with the most upside in the draft.

A very relatable situation is RB. Singletary had a very good season after not starting for the first two games and playing behind a very crappy OL in the run game. Everyone wants Barkley for more money without taking into consideration what Singletary may do behind an improved OL and starting from the get-go. Why not just re-sign Singletary and use the extra financial resources somewhere else? Or, would you consider Barkley a marked improvement over Singletary for more money?

Singletary is a good solid player. But his numbers were relatively the same in Buffalo as they were here.

He’s kind of like Brandin Cooks. Consistent production each year but you don’t want to commit to them as the feature guy because their overall upside is capped.

Singletary will get you 800 yards. But he’s not going to be a 1300+ yard back.

Another comp at a different position would be Dalton Schultz. You know what you’re going to get with Schultz. He’s never going to put up Kelce numbers, but he’s going to be a solid 50-60 catch 600 yard TE.

Texans are more likely to spend on Schultz due to supply/demand. There is a shortage of good solid starting TEs whereas this year there are several bell cow RBs to choose from.

Last edited:

That's fine on not being sold on Howard or Fant, but they just made Howard the 5th highest paid player at his position. As a team, you're not going to spend a 1st rd pick or even a 3rd rd pick on a player you think that highly of and that highly paid. They're not about to eat that extension.

Wow....nothing is guaranteed from the draft. One guarantee the Texans got on offense....a franchise QB. Smart teams would ensure that their franchise QB is protected, regardless of what the prior investments were, especially if those investments were to go down due to injury. Same would go the weapons the provides him with.

Sorry CJ, looks like you're going to be running for your life this season b/c we've invested way too much into the OL to do any more investments.
He wasn't running for his life last year and they played with rookies and injuries last year.

Didn't Penix skip playing in the Senior Bowl after practicing all week?
He did. But he had also played in the national championship game very recently and got pretty banged up. In my mind he was continuing to heal.

For me the combine is showing off your attributes but also showing what you can do when you’re throwing to receivers that you’re not familiar with. From what I’ve read, he was the best QB in the workouts. He could’ve easily said I’m not going to compete, but he chose to do it. I just like his mindset.

That's fine on not being sold on Howard or Fant, but they just made Howard the 5th highest paid player at his position. As a team, you're not going to spend a 1st rd pick or even a 3rd rd pick on a player you think that highly of and that highly paid. They're not about to eat that extension.
I agree with you. I think if they do address tackle depth it’ll be in the later rounds. I really like Walter Rouse OT Oklahoma who can play both sides and could be a good swing tackle.

He did. But he had also played in the national championship game very recently and got pretty banged up. In my mind he was continuing to heal.

For me the combine is showing off your attributes but also showing what you can do when you’re throwing to receivers that you’re not familiar with. From what I’ve read, he was the best QB in the workouts. He could’ve easily said I’m not going to compete, but he chose to do it. I just like his mindset.
Whether or not Penix played at the Senior Bowl or worked out at the combine wouldn't have changed my mind much. He's played enough football to know what he is. I just thought it was an odd comment. Of all the QBs in this draft, Penix is the most capable of playing Week 1. It's when playing the upside game is where the difficulty is when ranking him. If I'm the Giants, I trade back into the 2nd half of the 1st round and take Penix. I have zero confidence in their $40 mil/year QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Back