Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 NFL Scouting Combine

That's fine on not being sold on Howard or Fant, but they just made Howard the 5th highest paid player at his position. As a team, you're not going to spend a 1st rd pick or even a 3rd rd pick on a player you think that highly of and that highly paid. They're not about to eat that extension.

They'll be eating a season if he's not ready to go this season. They have to re-sign Fant, which hasn't been done. So, we'll just have to wait and see who's going to be the RT.

Whether or not Penix played at the Senior Bowl or worked out at the combine wouldn't have changed my mind much. He's played enough football to know what he is. I just thought it was an odd comment. Of all the QBs in this draft, Penix is the most capable of playing Week 1. It's when playing the upside game is where the difficulty is when ranking him. If I'm the Giants, I trade back into the 2nd half of the 1st round and take Penix. I have zero confidence in their $40 mil/year QB.
I agree with your philosophy on not having faith in Daniel Jones. They really blew it by signing him to an extension.

But I wouldn’t pair Penix with the Giants. Their OL is horrible and I wouldn’t wish that for him. I can see the Falcons trading back up into the 1st round to draft him. The OL is really good. I could also see him being paired with Kevin O’Connell or Sean McVay. If the Rams got him he’d be able to sit and learn behind Stafford for at least a year.

Most overrated at the Combine? My vote is JJ McCarthy. The guys in the NFL Network booth were discussing the possibility of JJ going in the top 3. I was waiting for him to get his throw finished so I could watch Joe Milton. I don't see it, I don't feel it. The next Daniel Jones.

That's fine on not being sold on Howard or Fant, but they just made Howard the 5th highest paid player at his position. As a team, you're not going to spend a 1st rd pick or even a 3rd rd pick on a player you think that highly of and that highly paid. They're not about to eat that extension.
Teams have no control over future injuries. Howard was healthy when extended; since then has suffered a serious injury. He should be ready to go by training camp, but this is uncertain. And if he returns, the level of his play is uncertain.

Howard's situation, and contract, likely means we don't select a prospect on day one or two. But before the draft, I'd go after a free agent RT, with a one or two year contract. We need the insurance just in case Howard does not make it back at and plays at an acceptable level.

In this scenario, Fant would be a good resign, but he may be looking for a big contract. If we don't sign a FA before the draft, expect us to draft one. The problem the Texans are in is that right now, they haven't much to go on except doctor's projection for Howard's recovery.

Word is that Michael Panix (U. Washington QB) looked great slinging it in Indy which is good
news for the Texans as it adds one more QB to the QB list who people will be scrambling over and thereby potentially push all of the non-QB prospects down towards the Texans pick for which
I say yippee!

Agreed

But with or without Howard's injury issues, Caserio has to find this yrs Fant. I bet he reups Jones, or finds a team like the Cards who have a player on the last yr of his deal that the Cards were willing to trade for a 5th/6th rd pick. An under the radar cheap FA OT signing would be Joseph Noteboom if the Rams cut him or are willing to eat a significant portion of his salary in a trade.

They'll be eating a season if he's not ready to go this season. They have to re-sign Fant, which hasn't been done. So, we'll just have to wait and see who's going to be the RT.
That's football. You give out extension money and dude get hurt, that's an issue or a guy doesn't play up to par. KC let Brown Jr go and signed Williams and he's terrible, but Mahomes know how to negotiate him and others.

Reactions: JB
Agreed

But with or without Howard's injury issues, Caserio has to find this yrs Fant. I bet he reups Jones, or finds a team like the Cards who have a player on the last yr of his deal that the Cards were willing to trade for a 5th/6th rd pick. An under the radar cheap FA OT signing would be Joseph Noteboom if the Rams cut him or are willing to eat a significant portion of his salary in a trade.
Or they can resign Fant or Jones or the coaches son who name is slipping my mind. He was injured all last year and just came back this year.

Wow....nothing is guaranteed from the draft. One guarantee the Texans got on offense....a franchise QB. Smart teams would ensure that their franchise QB is protected, regardless of what the prior investments in the OL were, especially if those investments go down due to injury. Same would go for the weapons the team provides him with.

RT- Guyton (OK) is still my first pick. Getting the final OL piece in place will make Stroud and the running game better. If this final piece gives Stroud, Collins, and Dell just a second longer in a cleaner pocket…..defenses will pay dearly.

Another nice WR for this offense can certainly be had later…..a top RT isn’t going to be there after RD2.

I’d like to see the Texans first 5 picks fall in this order:

023: RT- Tyler Guyton (Oklahoma)
059: RB- Jaylen Wright (Tennessee)
086: SS- Jaden Hicks (Washington)
124: WR- Luke McCaffrey (Rice)
128: CB- Jaylin Simpson (Auburn)

Texans would be re-signing a few of their DL and LB’er pieces. Caserio and Ryans could get a big impact FA piece for DE and/or DL. The Texans DL didn’t do to bad at all last season. As for the offense, I’m very good with Schultz returning. I’d also be okay with Barkley coming in to share the carries or carry the load until Wright has proven he’s ready to take over.
It’s very unsettling that, we haven’t got updates on both Howard & Greene. If I had any clue that one or both are done? It would completely alter the itinerary.

There's no reason for the Texans to provide injury updates on their players. Why release that info and give their competitors that knowlege?
So I asked Drew Dougherty on a podcast how was Howard doing... Drew said was the last time he was Howard he looked fine.

Mystery solved! Tytus Howard looks fine. I'm relieved. :koolaid:
Exactly, As if someone with knowledge or authority is going to tell us more than that.

A little more seriously, the only place that see Howard's status discussed at all is on this message board...not sure what that means, but that what I observe/hear.

Exactly, As if someone with knowledge or authority is going to tell us more than that.

A little more seriously, the only place that see Howard's status discussed at all is on this message board...not sure what that means, but that what I observe/hear.
It's the nature of the injury that concerns some of us. The patellar tendon rupture reminds some fans of the Derek Newton injury. Right after the guy got an extension, too. Newton had 2 patellar tendon ruptures, and never really came back from that. Bucs WR Russell Gage had a patellar tendon rupture in camp last year, missed the season, and is reportedly about to be released.

Not that it matters, but many posters have a nonchalant attitude towards Howard's injury and return. He'll come back at some point, nothing to worry about. My feeling is that if the Texans ever get any production from Howard henceforth, they will be fortunate. And it's not something that should be planned for.

But what both sides of the argument have against them is lack of knowledge. We don't know how Howard is doing or what the prognosis for recovery is. No one is even sure the Texans know, at this point. I mean, Howard "looks fine."

What I do know is that the Texans have been gifted by the football gods with one of the best young QBs in recent memory. I know that his protection is paramount in regard to this franchise's future. And this draft has an excellent group of prospects into the late 1st, maybe mid-2nd rounds. That would be my priority if I were making the decisions on Kirby.

It's the nature of the injury that concerns some of us. The patellar tendon rupture reminds some fans of the Derek Newton injury. Right after the guy got an extension, too. Newton had 2 patellar tendon ruptures, and never really came back from that. Bucs WR Russell Gage had a patellar tendon rupture in camp last year, missed the season, and is reportedly about to be released.

Not that it matters, but many posters have a nonchalant attitude towards Howard's injury and return. He'll come back at some point, nothing to worry about. My feeling is that if the Texans ever get any production from Howard henceforth, they will be fortunate. And it's not something that should be planned for.

But what both sides of the argument have against them is lack of knowledge. We don't know how Howard is doing or what the prognosis for recovery is. No one is even sure the Texans know, at this point. I mean, Howard "looks fine."

What I do know is that the Texans have been gifted by the football gods with one of the best young QBs in recent memory. I know that his protection is paramount in regard to this franchise's future. And this draft has an excellent group of prospects into the late 1st, maybe mid-2nd rounds. That would be my priority if I were making the decisions on Kirby.

Another issue worth discussing…..if Howard makes it back at the start or at some other point during this season, which Howard will the team be getting…..slightly below mediocre or mediocre? He was nothing to ever write home about even when healthy.

Fant was a swing plug that wound up having to go FT starter at RT and really performed at a very average level. If Fant was to return to being a Swing Tackle, then he could be acceptable in that role.

My thought has been that if the Texans have even more than a mild concern then their actions in free agency and the draft should reflect the urgency of getting a starting RT. At the moment nothing in their combine invites nor the rumored free agents say the Texans are concerned. Neither of those two really mean much outside watching the actions.

There's no reason for the Texans to provide injury updates on their players. Why release that info and give their competitors that knowlege?
Well that’s just ducky and blatantly obvious, what isn’t obvious is the state of his health or Greene for that matter. Nobody can possibly build case for stealing a franchise tackle with 23rd pick. Very sticky, close to the vest strategy is a wise move. Being quiet maybe just tip of the iceberg. Before beginning of last season, before resigning Howard, I was pushing for Texans to address the OL. Then once season started the Texans suffered more injuries than any team to the offensive line in this century. So yeah, sign me up for Mims or Guyton this go around, “Protect the Franchise”!

Well that’s just ducky and blatantly obvious, what isn’t obvious is the state of his health or Greene for that matter. Nobody can possibly build case for stealing a franchise tackle with 23rd pick. Very sticky, close to the vest strategy is a wise move. Being quiet maybe just tip of the iceberg. Before beginning of last season, before resigning Howard, I was pushing for Texans to address the OL. Then once season started the Texans suffered more injuries than any team to the offensive line in this century. So yeah, sign me up for Mims or Guyton this go around, “Protect the Franchise”!
I'm a yes on Mims and a no on Guyton.

But it seems to me that Caserio/Ryans are looking to find a RB and front 7 guys on defense. I would be good with Caserio trading 2025 draft picks on an OT that's in the last yr of his contract like he did with Jones last yr and drafting a developmental OT like Walter Rouse or Garrett Greenfield in the 4th. Maybe and we dont know if Zierer has developed to the point where he can be a serviceable OT. I know they were very high on him last preseason.

I'm more of a BPA guy and if a guy like Latu, Mitchell, Dejohn, Thomas is there at 1-23 then you thank your lucky stars and pick him. This doesn't mean you dont draft an OT somewhere in the draft though. Man, I wish they hadn't signed Howard to that contract and said as much at the time. Imagine having an extra 18 mil in cap space this off season. I feel the same way about re-signing Greenard as I did Howard.

Im
I'm a yes on Mims and a no on Guyton.

But it seems to me that Caserio/Ryans are looking to find a RB and front 7 guys on defense. I would be good with Caserio trading 2025 draft picks on an OT that's in the last yr of his contract like he did with Jones last yr and drafting a developmental OT like Walter Rouse or Garrett Greenfield in the 4th. Maybe and we dont know if Zierer has developed to the point where he can be a serviceable OT. I know they were very high on him last preseason.

I'm more of a BPA guy and if a guy like Latu, Mitchell, Dejohn, Thomas is there at 1-23 then you thank your lucky stars and pick him. This doesn't mean you dont draft an OT somewhere in the draft though. Man, I wish they hadn't signed Howard to that contract and said as much at the time. Imagine having an extra 18 mil in cap space this off season. I feel the same way about re-signing Greenard as I did Howard.

I’m with you. My point of reference, I’ve seen this situation before, recently for Chargers who basically threw away Herbert’s rookie window because they failed miserably to address RT. You live through that kind of ordeal, take that as a learning tool, nip that in the bud.

This is a great OT class, great WR class and a great CB class. Can’t go wrong with any of them, all premium positions that you can only afford on rookie contracts. Since we have no idea of these injured Texans status moving forward we can’t project accurately, but know these tackles fit in bpa category for pick #23. Just have to wait and see who will be available when it’s decision time.

I would not be surprised if it’s Johnny (Jer’Zhan) Newton @ #23 either.

Im

I’m with you. My point of reference, I’ve seen this situation before, recently for Chargers who basically threw away Herbert’s rookie window because they failed miserably to address RT. You live through that kind of ordeal, take that as a learning tool, nip that in the bud.

This is a great OT class, great WR class and a great CB class. Can’t go wrong with any of them, all premium positions that you can only afford on rookie contracts. Since we have no idea of these injured Texans status moving forward we can’t project accurately, but know these tackles fit in bpa category for pick #23. Just have to wait and see who will be available when it’s decision time.

I would not be surprised if it’s Johnny (Jer’Zhan) Newton @ #23 either.

RT, LG .... be fun to watch 100+ yds/game again rushing .... Oh yeah .... and keep CJ Whatshisname upright !

Last edited:
Mims might be too tempting? A 340 pounder with LT feet and mobility.

I keep thinking this too .... but is there such a thing as a misfit ? RG - 6'1" .... RT - 6' 7" ? I can't shake the brothers - Christian .... They look like twins, Bowling balls that were born to run ! Christian Haynes and Christian Jones .

Last edited:
Back