Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 draft prospects - videos, articles.

If Guyton is on the board when their pick rolls in…..I’d run that selection up to the podium.
"Shaky as a pass blocker and often ends plays on ground..". Run blocking 67%.

Hard for me to see him as a round one or a round two. He will go in round two in my opinion due to the poor depth of offensive line men. I would also prefer to have my right tackle have more than one year of good results at his position.

"Shaky as a pass blocker and often ends plays on ground..". Run blocking 67%.

Hard for me to see him as a round one or a round two. He will go in round two in my opinion due to the poor depth of offensive line men. I would also prefer to have my right tackle have more than one year of good results at his position.
Checkout Jordan Morgan and tell me what you think.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • His closing burst is outstanding, and Smith routinely finishes plays. He has some range and toughness as a run defender, showing the ability to set the edge, though he could work on his straight-line speed and tackling range.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #12. He wrote "The former five-star recruit is one of the most gifted players in college football. In the offseason, Smith hit 19.5 mph on the GPS and can touch 11 feet in his standing vertical jump."
  • Possesses the length and power to ward off offensive tackles, though he needs to better utilize his length.
  • While his frame is relatively tall, he generally plays with adequate pad level and natural power to push the pocket with the bull rush. However, maintaining a lower pad level consistently could enhance his performance.
  • Agile run-stopper at end, extends to grab backs from the backside and possesses foot quickness and hustle to chase plays downfield or to the sideline.
  • A high-motor player who thrives on physicality, he’s generally able to fight and win in the phone booth, though there are instances where he could hold up better at the point of attack.
  • His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and he displays a very good motor.
Maason Smith DT LSU.
That vertical jump will be useful in knocking down passes.
Probably will be drafted in the 70-75 range so some finagling will be required to get him.
Needs a little polish but I reckon he would thrive in the school of Demeco Ryans.

Checkout Jordan Morgan and tell me what you think.
I think that Nick casario is already looking at options in free agency just in case. I am only interested in one offensive tackle on that list and I think we could get him in round two and that is Jordan Morgan. I really like that guy but he may be a left tackle only.
I dont like him this high as a RT. He's an avg run blocker.
Good info but what do you base opinion on? 80% run blocking and does well in review. "Can get beat by bigger opponents " but that is routine comments about almost all.
I've watched him and he's not the type of run blocker I'm looking for.
I hope you now agree Jordan Morgan could be what we need at right tackle?

I still prefer to get Trent Brown for right tackle and save the draft pick for another position.

Edited
You posted your response to my first post about the same time as I posted my second. Really enjoyed discussions as it helps me to get other views of a player that I might have missed.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • His closing burst is outstanding, and Smith routinely finishes plays. He has some range and toughness as a run defender, showing the ability to set the edge, though he could work on his straight-line speed and tackling range.
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #12. He wrote "The former five-star recruit is one of the most gifted players in college football. In the offseason, Smith hit 19.5 mph on the GPS and can touch 11 feet in his standing vertical jump."
  • Possesses the length and power to ward off offensive tackles, though he needs to better utilize his length.
  • While his frame is relatively tall, he generally plays with adequate pad level and natural power to push the pocket with the bull rush. However, maintaining a lower pad level consistently could enhance his performance.
  • Agile run-stopper at end, extends to grab backs from the backside and possesses foot quickness and hustle to chase plays downfield or to the sideline.
  • A high-motor player who thrives on physicality, he’s generally able to fight and win in the phone booth, though there are instances where he could hold up better at the point of attack.
  • His spin move is already NFL-caliber, and he displays a very good motor.
Maason Smith DT LSU.
That vertical jump will be useful in knocking down passes.
Probably will be drafted in the 70-75 range so some finagling will be required to get him.
Needs a little polish but I reckon he would thrive in the school of Demeco Ryans.
He was not good this year. From a physical standpoint, he looks like Chris Jones, but the tape showed him standing up and getting pushed around.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

He could go in the 1st after the Se. Bowl and the Combine. Running in the 4.3's at 223 lbs. Can you say a faster Deebo ?
I'm always cautious of the guys who rasie their grade after the combine.

I understood you just ran a 4.3, but your tape never shows that speed...so which player are you really type concerns. Workout warriors are red flags, unless the tape matches up. Not saying this applies to Leggette just an in general type comment

Last edited:

I understood you just ran a 4.3, but your tape never shows that speed...so which player are you really type concerns. Workout warriors are red flags, unless the tape matches up. Not saying this apllies to Legetter just an in general type comment

The good……the tape and stats on WR- Brennen Rice (USC) seem to match up very nicely. I just hope he remains a mid-round prospect after the Combine and his Pro Day.

I understood you just ran a 4.3, but your tape never shows that speed...so which player are you really type concerns. Workout warriors are red flags, unless the tape matches up. Not saying this applies to Leggette just an in general type comment
Difference is that Legette's production matched his ability. Only reason he will fall to the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd is he only did it for 1 yr.

Difference is that Legette's production matched his ability. Only reason he will fall to the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd is he only did it for 1 yr.
I never said that Legette's combine numbers wouldn't match his tape, in fact I specifically mentioned that the comment didn't apply to him.

But for the sake of argument, let's say there was a WR who failed to consistently generate separation from DBs in college, than at the combine rips a 4.2 in the 40. That guy, that instance, is when I would be very cautious of the combine rising star.

Last edited:
Walker from North Carolina

Wilson from Michigan are also great athletes that put up big numbers

Probably can get them in the 3rd

I didn't mean anything by the Legette comment, just trying to spur conversation

I’ve seen several posts on Nick Caserio looking at the kickers and punters at the Senior bowl. What are y’all’s thoughts on bringing in a new kicker and punter?

I personally would resign Fairbairn and Johnston.

I’ve seen several posts on Nick Caserio looking at the kickers and punters at the Senior bowl. What are y’all’s thoughts on bringing in a new kicker and punter?

I personally would resign Fairbairn and Johnston.
I would too, but there's a case to be made for bringing in younger cheaper blood, so that money could be used to help bring in a difference maker on offense or defense. If I had to let one go it would be Johnston. If they let Fairbarin go then I hope they also bring in Matthew Wright to compete with the draft pick.

I would too, but there's a case to be made for bringing in younger cheaper blood, so that money could be used to help bring in a difference maker on offense or defense. If I had to let one go it would be Johnston. If they let Fairbarin go then I hope they also bring in Matthew Wright to compete with the draft pick.
Johnston is a weapon plus that money isn't significant vs what he brings

Reactions: JB
I think Wilson is a te. He struggled to get off press and he didn't show any explosion on top route. If it were me, I would be more inclined to have him like Jimmy Graham

Yeah i like him as a wr.

Hes played wr for so long i wouldnt want him anywhere near the trenches trying to block linemen and LBs.

I think he has enough wr ability to be an actual wr. No hes not super explosive but hes a good route runner and can get on top of defenses. But hes not going to win much with explosion... Hes pretty damn good and fluid at plucking the ball out of the air over defenders.

As far as beating press, if that has actually been an issue that may be one of the easiest things to teach or scheme around for a wr.

Last edited:
I could see

Williams/Maye/Daniels/McCarthy/Nix/Maybe Penix depending on how he checks out medically.
I don't know that I would care what his medicals end up saying. I would be very weary re. Penix. Penix suffered a torn ACL in his right knee his 2018 freshman season; a sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury as a sophomore in 2019; another ACL injury to the same knee in 2020; and an AC joint injury in 2021. 4 significant injuries in 4 years.

About 60% of ACLs are associated with meniscus damage. Early onset of osteoarthritis (beginning 2 years post injury) has been observed in ACL-repaired patients with meniscus tears. With 2 ACLs in the same knee, meniscus damage is much more likely, now along with articular cartilage damage.

In the long term, a 2nd injury to either the ipsilateral or the contralateral knee in young and active populations has been found in studies to be anywhere from 7% to reaching 40%, with a more than double-fold risk of contralateral ACL reconstruction compared with ipsilateral ACL revision.

Finally, FWIW, he has had 2 documented concussions.

Yeah i like him as a wr.

Hes played wr for so long i wouldnt want him anywhere near the trenches trying to block linemen and LBs.

I think he has enough wr ability to be an actual wr. No hes not super explosive but hes a good route runner and can get on top of defenses. But hes not going to win much with explosion... Hes pretty damn good and fluid at plucking the ball out of the air over defenders.

As far as beating press, if that has actually been an issue that may be one of the easiest things to teach or scheme around for a wr.
Remember James Hardy and Kelvin Benjamin? How many safeties and lbs you see Kelce and LaPorta digging out? I mean he's already 245lbs at 6'7. He just needs to be a willing blocker. He can run, but he has slow feet in terms of getting in out of his break. He's going to be a case study.

I don't know that I would care what his medicals end up saying. I would be very weary re. Penix. Penix suffered a torn ACL in his right knee his 2018 freshman season; a sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury as a sophomore in 2019; another ACL injury to the same knee in 2020; and an AC joint injury in 2021. 4 significant injuries in 4 years.

About 60% of ACLs are associated with meniscus damage. Early onset of osteoarthritis (beginning 2 years post injury) has been observed in ACL-repaired patients with meniscus tears. With 2 ACLs in the same knee, meniscus damage is much more likely, now along with articular cartilage damage.

In the long term, a 2nd injury to either the ipsilateral or the contralateral knee in young and active populations has been found in studies to be anywhere from 7% to reaching 40%, with a more than double-fold risk of contralateral ACL reconstruction compared with ipsilateral ACL revision.

Finally, FWIW, he has had 2 documented concussions.
What about Trey Benson

If they wanted Al Shaair, they could've had him last off season with his coach. Why Hollywood Brown with the draft loaded at wr?

He got more money from the house inbreds money Caserio didn't have to spend.

Proven vet,speed to open things up, Threat to score every time he touches the ball and if high draft picks are spent on the defense Stroud will need a guy like Brown. Not having to break a rookie wr in also has it's advantages.

Proven vet,speed to open things up, Threat to score every time he touches the ball and if high draft picks are spent on the defense Stroud will need a guy like Brown. Not having to break a rookie wr in also has it's advantages.
Caserio had the money, he just didn't spend it. He signed for 1 yr 5m. I'm not against it,I don't want Ryans to get in the habit of getting SF cast-offs who were avg. He's an average player. They kept the 2 studs. Teams are only going to play 2 lbs. Right now, Cashman and Harris are better players. As for Brown, I like him, always have, but his price would be more than I think they should pay for what he brings. They got more production out of Noah Brown and his 2.6m than the Cardinals did out of Hollywood and his 11m. Jmo, they can upgrade at wr via draft and another cheap free agent vs 11m for Brown and his lone 1k season.

What about Trey Benson
I believe that Benson is "fools gold." He is essentially a 2-year experience RB. He was injured in practice prior to the 2020 season. He missed the entire 2020 season and essentially missed the 2021 season except for 6 snaps.

In 2022 and 2023, he came back with ~900 yds on ~11 carries/game (~155 carries/season). Average runs in an NFL game varies slightly from season to season, like all stats do. In 2022 (last year) a typical team ran 63 plays a game, averaged 27.3 rushes per game. The primary RB typically accounts for ~2/3 rds of the carries (closer to ~250-300 carries/season).

What is most important in this equation is not as much his stats as the nature of his injury. December of 2020, Benson suffered a devastating knee injury that tore his ACL, MCL, both his lateral and medial meniscus, and his gracilis tendon (a hamstring tendon).............a non contact injury. With such an injury, although not specifically documented, you can bet his articular cartilage structures took a significant damage hit.

His knee is extremely unlikely to stand up for 17 games, as opposed to the 13 games he spent in college for only 2 years, (let alone into playoffs, if that were to be for his team) to starter numbers trauma especially for multiple seasons. Even as a backup, his days are probably quite numbered from the beginning.

I believe that Benson is "fools gold." He is essentially a 2-year experience RB. He was injured in practice prior to the 2020 season. He missed the entire 2020 season and essentially missed the 2021 season except for 6 snaps.

In 2022 and 2023, he came back with ~900 yds on ~11 carries/game (~155 carries/season). Average runs in an NFL game varies slightly from season to season, like all stats do. In 2022 (last year) a typical team ran 63 plays a game, averaged 27.3 rushes per game. The primary RB typically accounts for ~2/3 rds of the carries (closer to ~250-300 carries/season).

What is most important in this equation is not as much his stats as the nature of his injury. December of 2020, Benson suffered a devastating knee injury that tore his ACL, MCL, both his lateral and medial meniscus, and his gracilis tendon (a hamstring tendon).............a non contact injury. With such an injury, although not specifically documented, you can bet his articular cartilage structures took a significant damage hit.

His knee is extremely unlikely to stand up for 17 games, as opposed to the 13 games he spent in college for only 2 years, (let alone into playoffs, if that were to be for his team) to starter numbers trauma especially for multiple seasons. Even as a backup, his days are probably quite numbered from the beginning.
Really thought Benson would be a great fit in a ZBS. After reading this I wouldn't gamble on him before the 4th rd. This is the type of info you cant get anywhere but here. Thanks Doc.

That's why I asked. He tore that knee up all the way. I remember Thurman Thomas having a knee as well as Frank Gore. How does his injury compare to Willis McGehee injury? Thanks again Doc

I get it, but we still have a couple of good ones on the team if he isn't all that his rookie season.
Dell was a rookie...

That's why I asked. He tore that knee up all the way. I remember Thurman Thomas having a knee as well as Frank Gore. How does his injury compare to Willis McGehee injury? Thanks again Doc
McGehee was originally reported to have suffered a 3-ligament rupture..............ACL, MCL, and PCL. However in surgery, the PCL was found not to be torn. His meniscus, and surprisingly, his articular cartilage was reported to be "normal." Although, watching his injury, it appeared horendous, but in actuality was less serious than what it looked like............and significantly less serious long-term than Benson's

This top 32 Big Board was compiled by using the NFL Mock Draft Database which I believe is the most accurate.
I modified it by adding the prospects highest position and current position and dividing it by 2 to give what I think is a fairer position.
1. Caleb Williams QB
2. Marvin Harrison Jr. WR
3. Drake Maye QB
4. Malik Nabers WR
5. Jayden Daniels QB
6. Brock Bowers TE
7. Joe Alt OT
8. Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT
9. Kool Aid McKinstry CB
10. Rome Odunze WR
11. Dallas Turner Edge
12. Jared Verse Edge
13. Laiatu Latu Edge
14. JerZhan Newton DL
15. J C Latham OT
16. Amarius Mims OT
17. Cooper DeJean CB
18. Keon Coleman WR
19. Nate Wiggins CB
20. Terrian Arnold CB
21. Taleise Fuaga OT
22. Demeion Robinson Edge
23. Bo Nix QB
24. Bralen Trice Edge
25. Kamren Kinchens S
26. Michael Penix QB
27. Brian Thomas WR
28. Troy Fautanu OT
29. Kamari Lasseter CB
30. Graham Barton IOL
31. Quinyon Mitchell CB
32. J J McCarthy QB
I like to do these lists as I think it reflects (close to) their true positional value on a draft order and narrows down who Texans could target.
Individual teams themselves no doubt will have their own ideas but this should still be close.
For the sake of us armchair GMs, this one is pretty spot on.
From 18 - 31 (minus the QBs), there is some nice talent as far as the Texans are concerned.
Barring shock falls, or a big trade up or back, Texans' guy is likely in that 18 - 31 range.
Texans could be in the market for a small trade back if they like Brian Thomas, Troy Fautanu or Graham Barton and maybe pick up another second round pick.
That would be nice.

Sweat has always had a significant problem controlling his weight. He is listed at 335...........but a reliable source has informed me that he now weighs close to 370. In the NFL he will be expected to weigh less than even the 335. Long-term weight control problems in college seldom come under control in the transition to the NFL.

That’s rough! Hope he heals well. He was improving his stock at the senior bowl
Approximately 96% of young football players will rupture the proximal tendon of the long head of the biceps. This is not a surgical problem (since the short head is virtually always left intact and the long head is still attached to the short head to facilitate healing).................unless there is additional shoulder injury (more the exception) or the player wished to correct the "Popeye deformity" that occurs when the proximal biceps retract and bunches up in the mid upper arm. In 4-6 months, he should be able to return with close to pre-injury level.

The average NFL DT weighs 309 pounds. There are isolated examples of 350 pounders.

The problem with Sweat is his weight is reflected by his well-established pattern of poor work ethic and very poor conditioning. He is very unlikely to increase and maintain any semblance of NFL conditioning without significantly decreasing and maintaining his lower weight.............and that occurs only if he begins to take his work ethic seriously.

Back