Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I would not be surprised to see him go on Day 2. More productive and have better stats than Stroud, Young, and Levis. If he was consistently doing it in college better than everyone else, he can likely do it in the NFL. I do understand how some are influenced by the media's perception.

C'mon bro, how you're going to say Bennet is more productive than Stroud and Young?

4 yrs vs 2 and Stroud and Young still has more production than Bennett.

I am asking your opinion - not the bettor's market.
Goalpost is moving here, because you originally said: "Stroud tightened the gap between him and Young - especially as Young came in under expectations with his height" and I simply rebutted it with evidence that it wasn't based on a large pool of wagering dollars. So my opinion is really here nor there.

But in general, I've made my concerns about Stroud known: They are based between the unusually large variance in effectiveness playing the QB position with/without pressure. It's the high variance in FCS and it was similar in 2021. That is a big red flag IMO, because you don't see this is elite prospects generally. And then the Michael Vick fandom is slightly worrying to me... But in terms of arm talent and measurables, I think he's fine. I think he's boom or bust based on his inability to perform well in pressure generally speaking, captured very clearly in the data. Question is whether he will iron that out.

I would not be surprised to see him go on Day 2. More productive and have better stats than Stroud, Young, and Levis. If he was consistently doing it in college better than everyone else, he can likely do it in the NFL. I do understand how some are influenced by the media's perception.

Agree to disagree on Bennett. Not only is he tiny, but his arm isn’t very good, and I see a guy whose skills are iffy at the next level. He has a chance somewhere but I’m not buying day 2, much less day one. But that’s me. I may be 100% wrong.

Just reading that along with the best-in-class deep ball throwing, Bennett throw velocity was measured at 59MPH, tied with Levis for the highest in the combine. So who knew Bennett had a huge arm - that's my biggest surprise revalation.

To put this into perspective, Bennett's 59MPH is on par with what Colin Kaepernick registered in 2011, which broke the previous record of 58MPH. And Kap had a cannon.

But the hype. As advertised every year. LOL.
I just watched Mr Irrelevant take his team to the NFCCG as a rookie, while the 3rd overall pick sat and watched looking like Mr Mistake, and we’re all supposed to believe some pundit, know nothing, has all the answers…

And trading up to 1? Man, that’s gonna be rich, as CHI can hold HOU over a barrel and demand just about anything they want cause they have other teams contending too.
No thanks.
I’d be totally content if HOU just sat at #2, took Anderson, then took the best WR at 12, then if they really liked a guy like Bennett, move back up and grab him in the late 20’s.
This teams needs are everywhere.
If Texans go for Hooker:

1.2 Anderson
1.12 Johnston
2.33 DL/edge Foskey

3.65 Hooker

If Stroud, Levis, Stinnett and AR now even better than before the combine, ALL talk about any team trading up for a QB should cease immediately.

I'm guessing it won't.

C'mon bro, how you're going to say Bennet is more productive than Stroud and Young?

4 yrs vs 2 and Stroud and Young still has more production than Bennett.

Bennett produced more in the most important area. Public intoxication charges 1-0-0……….. :)

without having to throw against a blitzing defense, just the air and the humidity. That's all.

Consistent with the conditions the other combine QBs were throwing in?
I mean we all understand the concept and limitations of the combine.
It's notable that you didn't make the same exact comments about every single QB who participated

If I'm the Texans I am promoting the **** out of the notion that I want Richardson or Stroud.

Let's bait someone into giving up the farm.

And if the only issue with Bennett is that he's already older but he'd be first rounder if he was 21 or 22, well I'm more than willing to have a QB that is more likely to succeed (if that's the presumption and the age is the only concern) even if for a couple years less. Concern is more about *when* he'd be ready to be good in that case.

In other situations we'd be more than OK bringing in a FA QB who's 27 or 28 and still ready to rock for a few years.

Last edited:
Just watched the Mock Draft Guy's assessment video of Calijah Kancey on a whim scrolling through my suggested videos. I'm on board. Size is an issue but hey if the motor and desire is off the charts. And y'all know that's what I want. After I watched the video I Googled him and also searched his name on here and saw that he did great at the combine the last few days? I'm not crazy about workout warriors but it seems like he's a bit more than that.

Seems like a guy who can't really go inside on an NFL line but maybe he can be moved around in a versatile defense.

Trade down from 2, get a bunch of picks, draft Witherspoon/Gonzalez and this Kancey, see if you can grab some WR and TE somewhere in the mix, draft a QB late and sign one in FA and let's rock and roll.

Sounds good. However Texans seem all in on selecting QB #2. Yet, nobody knows for sure, which one? It’s crazy, never seen nothing like it in all my years following Texans and the draft.

Kancey has one hell of a motor and can move, that’s lethal and rare for interior DT. His stout frame and ability to gain leverage is going to get home and be match-up nightmare for offensive lineman.
I think the one move that will upset the most people on this board will be trading up to take Stroud.

So they'll most likely trade up to take Stroud.

I'll make room for y'all on the CasterioGetdafuOuttaHere train.

No, the move that would piss off Texan fan base would be trading up for Levis
:koolaid:

Lol... The WheelHouse offers take on Stroud comments about Vick, Watson.

Interesting point made that Stroud and Watson share the same agent and have worked out together off season over the past couple of years. I wonder whether the Texans will go near a player with pretty strong linkages to Watson. This is a narrative to monitor.

Last edited:
Bennett isn't - and shouldn't - be a 1st rounder. Which means that someone will pick him on Day 1.

6 yrs of college, never graduated
that's a question i'd ask

Clemson 2.0? /s
In total, nine Georgia players have been arrested in the last 13-and-a-half months.

Lol... The WheelHouse offers take on Stroud comments about Vick, Watson.

Interesting point made that Stroud and Watson share the same agent and have worked out together off season over the past couple of years. I wonder whether the Texans will go near a player with pretty strong linkages to Watson. This is a narrative to monitor.
Yes, a very good point. Something to consider.

The Packers have had two starting QB's for the last 30 years. They spent no Day 1/Day 2 draft capital on a QB from the time they traded for Favre until they drafted Rodgers. That was 13 years.

They drafted Brohm at the bottom of the second round in 2008, the year that Rodgers became the starter. They spent no Day 1/Day 2 draft capital until 12 years later on Love.

During this 30-year run, they drafted 11 QB's in the 5th round or later. That's not trying to find your QB of the future. That's at best trying to find a backup.
Gonna miss the back and forth with you.

I'm checking out for a bit although I will be coming back to comment on the draft picks. My life is better off without a certain a-hole in it. Sometimes a break is a good thing as you've shown me. You're a good man even though we've disagreed over the yrs.

SB you are so reaching. Your takes are all over the map.

He's talking about play style and stuff on the field, not as a person walking down the street like John Q. Public. Who does he look up to as a QB? That's what he is answering. He's not talking about off the field, he means on the field. He also mentioned Burrow's playstyle. Do you have an issue with Burrows too?

BTW, I'm someone that HATES Vick with the passion of 10,000 hot suns for what he did to those dogs...but I have zero issues with this or any QB saying, hey here's a guy that I'd like to pattern my game after and look to as a QB. I aspire to become that type of QB on the field. I'm going to call you Mr. Armstrong because of those huge stretches you make.

What's even funnier is you defend a guy like Carter who is making very iffy life choices and has some potential character/immaturity issues...and blame another woman when Carter was also involved. But because a guy you don't like wants to pattern his game after Watson, you're jumping through hoops to criticize him when just about everyone praises CJ's character off the field. It's really hypocritical.

It's just a good thing Carter didn't go to Clemson and have Nigerian parents. If so, you'd probably want to throw him in a Russian gulag for 40 years of hard labor.
Good for you, I'm going to miss you. I'm taking a break for awhile.

Gonna miss the back and forth with you.

I'm checking out for a bit although I will be coming back to comment on the draft picks. My life is better off without a certain a-hole in it. Sometimes a break is a good thing as you've shown me. You're a good man even though we've disagreed over the yrs.

Brother, take the break. I can promise you that if you think you need it, you do.

Always enjoy the back and forth!

Consistent with the conditions the other combine QBs were throwing in?
I mean we all understand the concept and limitations of the combine.
It's notable that you didn't make the same exact comments about every single QB who participated
What would a team give up for Anderson at 2?

The player that got my attention was Darnell Washington as he blew up the sled with very good hand placement and drive. He also surprise all by the one hand catch. He is rated as very strong blocker. He is like a OL and good route runner with good hands. He may have moved up into round one. I'm trying to fit him into my board.

Maybe because he's 24 and turning 25 within the NFL season? I kind of viewed him as a game manager type of not really gifted with arm talent. Kinda answered some of that throwing 55-60 yard bombs with ease on the money. Physique looked solid too. At the very least, his performance is going to have scout teams reconsider and rewatch some of his tape.

Scout teams?

When I first heard of this change, I was taking it as certainly quite suspicious.
I have a feeling it needs surgery - and if that is true, his draft stock will plummet.
I certainly hope he is honest with the teams he interviews with - you never know when there are millions of dollars at stake.

Looks pretty obvious that shoulder injury is lingering.

I think so. They are going to down play that injury as much as possible.

On the flip side, Kancey really was a beast. He is not the typical size, but he what he should at the combine was very very good.

I have to say I loved what Richardson did. The guy did everything and did it well. His throwing was off the hook. So much talent and it showed. Only problem from him being taken by Houston or another top picking team...what happens if he isn't starting to get everything together at last? Is it a wasted pick or will he be ok if he can sit a season and learn. He has everything you want and need but he must keep it together and not regress once drafted. In shorts in a showcase setting he looks like a number 1 pick. I liked what I saw but my worries are it will be INT, bad throw and fumble fest for a season if he starts day 1. But he is not someone that I work be upset with. Just worry if we couldn't let him sit and learn. Depending on a FA brought in I might be ok with Houston taking him. I think he has everything to be better than CJ and Young

Last edited:
6 yrs of college, never graduated
that's a question i'd ask

Clemson 2.0? /s
In total, nine Georgia players have been arrested in the last 13-and-a-half months.
One thing is clear, the Georgia Bulldogs have plenty of speed on and off the football field.

When I first heard of this change, I was taking it as certainly quite suspicious.

Questions came up on 610 that he may not throw at his pro day. Not saying he won't, but if he is slightly off I think he could drop some. Because it has to be the shoulder. I think he will play in the 190lb range...another thing that worries me is still size.

I think so. They are going to down play that injury as much as possible.

On the flip side, Kancey really was a beast. He is not the typical size, but he what he should at the combine was very very good.
I've been on the Kancey train for awhile now. I see him as a replacement for Maliek Collins. He can play either spot, but since he is a little lighter, I think he would be better behind Maliek for now. Now, if we could trade down, and get Mazi Smith also, our DL would be set. We already have some decent edge players, and could get another FA, so I'm not worried about edge as much.

A first 2 rounds like this would set us up for future dominance. Our OL and DL will be set for years to come, and we get a top WR. Sign a FA QB this year, and draft our franchise QB next year.

1678114682835.png

Good stuff banned and I understand that completely. The dude I was talking about is actually doing the polar opposite of what you said right here. I looked at the combine on yesterday. Both Stroud and Richardson looked good. Both players threw the deep ball with ease. The only problem I saw with Richardson was his accuracy on those sideline passes.
Stroud is money with those back shoulder shots - on both sides of the field.
He is much more accurate than Richardson.

Question Cloak - once an ac joint has been weakened, aren't they more easily injured with a recurrence?
Not necessarily for a low grade A/C separation. Everyone seems to be focusing in on the A/C separation. However that is the least of my concern. I will repost my previous post which relates my primary concerns in detail.:

I just discovered that Bryce Young's shoulder injury last Oct not only included an A/C separation and a mild rotator cuff injury, but that he also suffered a shoulder joint subluxation on that play........an injury that has gotten no play by the media.............and has significant prognostic implications.

While sometimes the symptoms of subluxation are mild, it can potentially lead to long term problems including recurrence, full dislocation, rotator cuff injury and arthritis. Shoulder subluxation is defined as partial or incomplete dislocation of the glenohumeral (shoulder) joint or displacement of the humeral head (the ball of the joint) and glenoid fossa (the socket of the joint) while the humeral head is in contact with the glenoid fossa. The weakness of rotator cuff muscles or laxity of the glenohumeral ligaments causes the humeral head (the ball of the joint) to slip out of the glenoid fossa (the socket of the joint) easily and results in glenohumeral (shoulder joint) subluxation.

When a subluxation occurs, the labrum is not uncommonly torn from the bone and the capsule is stretched. These injuries can cause recurrent instability. During the Combine, there will be concentrated attention especially to the condition of his labrum.

View attachment 11721

The shoulder joint's stability depends on the labrum, but just as importantly if not more so, the surrounding muscles including the rotator cuff muscles to protect it . Looking a Young's muscle development casts further doubt in my mind on his ability to avoid further shoulder (amongst other) issues in his NFL future.

Not necessarily for a low grade A/C separation. Everyone seems to be focusing in on the A/C separation. However that is the least of my concern. I will repost my previous post which relates my primary concerns in detail.:
There's been zero talk of any concern about Bryce Young's medicals in the MSM. I wonder if it really is any concern. I assumed he didn't participate in the combine because his measurables (pretty much in all categories) would look subpar compared to his peers. Dude really knows how to play the game, but he just doesn't have the same arm talent and physique.

Wow, thanks for that - missed it the first time you posted it. Makes me wonder why he is still the #1 or #2 pick in this draft.
Can I quote this post elsewhere?

Back