Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Yeah, I’m surprised not more Bennett discussion isn’t happening here.
He had the best overall combine of all the QBs. He basically threw it perfect. Almost every throw. He’s 5’11 190 and has 10 inch hands. The guy is a Drew Brees clone.
The whole QB pre draft thing is so overhyped and over analyzed with so much underlying personal BS, that it’s best to sit back and watch the entire thing 1st.
Probably because the social/mainstream media already told them what to think and because they didn’t even actually watch the combine. One of my coworkers text me saying “we taking Bryce Young brody. He look good at the combine!” I replied with laughing emojis and just left it alone.

He had the best overall combine of all the QBs. He basically threw it perfect. Almost every throw. He’s 5’11 190 and has 10 inch hands. The guy is a Drew Brees clone.
The whole QB pre draft thing is so overhyped and over analyzed with so much underlying personal BS, that it’s best to sit back and watch the entire thing 1st.
Jeremiah is a 3 time loser. 3 scouting jobs in 6 years. Jeremiah is no Mayock, that's for sure. Those who get fired, talk on TV.

Producers and Directors started production meetings for this over 30 hours of Combine broadcast over 6 weeks ago. They started producing player profiles from the info from wanna-be network scouts. Then there is a BIG 10 bias that is filtered in. The NFL Network Combine is more for entertainment. You would do better by turning the sound down and using your own filters.

He’s probably going in the second or third. No way he goes past the 4th round.

I was thinking the same thing. Richardson consistently had the better throws in the video above. CJ was either short or long on his throws. There wasn't any consistency there. Richardson looked effortless throwing those deep balls. Stroud, not so much. Wasn't impressed with Stroud at all from that passing drill.
Couldn’t disagree more. CJ killed it. Richardson is an athlete. CJ is a QB. Huge difference. CJ also fits the general WC scheme way better.
I don't know what combine you were watching. Stroud was throwing that deep ball with ease. He didn't have to hop step or wind up. The ball was traveling 60 yds easy. How far does anyone thing he needs to throw the ball. Not to mention, on those drills, the ball was on the correct shoulder and very catchable balls.

In this setting, these QBs should be nailing 9 out 10 throws while being spot on. They're facing the air. About the only thing you can really learn from the Combine regarding QBs, size, speed, hand size, and whether or not they can throw the ball 60 yards in the air. If you judge from the Oohs and Aahs from the crowd, Stetson threw it best. I would say that Bennett did the most to improve his draft value.

There are things to like about Levis, but I'd be pretty upset if the Texans took him high...even at 12.

The kid has a super compact release, has ideal size, and played in a pro style system. His 2021 was impressive. Playing hurt in 2022 may be the reason for his step back, but who really knows. If he fell and we moved into the high 20s for him, I could be good with that.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
You can say that about just about every QB in this draft. There are things to like and things to worry about. Do the Texans have the staff in place to coach up a rookie QB? That's an unknown for us, but Purdy did pretty well for himself. Trey Lance, so far, has not. Kind of a mixed bag of expectations.
EDIT: If there's a QB in the draft that you're confident he has the tools/traits you want and your confident in your staff's ability to coach that player up at the next level, there's no price too high to pay. If the team thinks that's Levis, then I would have no problem with the Texans taking him at 1.2. Really any of the QBs, IF that's how the Texans view any particular QB. I just don't want them to draft a QB at 1.2 because ownership told them to, or they feel pressure to because of the draft slot.

Last edited:
As long as we don't trade up, I'm OK with NC/DR choosing the QB they think they can work with out of whichever ones are left at 1.2, I'll defer to their judgment, or even if we trade down 2 or 3 spots and still am able to grab one of them.
Hell, I'm good with not taking a QB and beefing up the rest of the team and going with the one we got, or sign Case, Rush or a Minshew level QB to get us to next year.

In this setting, these QBs should be nailing 9 out 10 throws while being spot on. They're facing the air. About the only thing you can really learn from the Combine regarding QBs, size, speed, hand size, and whether or not they can throw the ball 60 yards in the air. If you judge from the Oohs and Aahs from the crowd, Stetson threw it best. I would say that Bennett did the most to improve his draft value.

I would draft Richardson and in the late rounds Bennett.

Richardson could line up as RB, WR, TE, or QB. Stetson could play back up or QB when Richardson lines up at another position.

The offense could get real creative.

Richardson is like Tayson Hill. If he could improve his accuracy he would be a true franchise QB. IF.

I don't know what combine you were watching. Stroud was throwing that deep ball with ease. He didn't have to hop step or wind up. The ball was traveling 60 yds easy. How far does anyone thing he needs to throw the ball. Not to mention, on those drills, the ball was on the correct shoulder and very catchable balls.
I was watching the video posted above.

I would draft Richardson and in the late rounds Bennett.

Richardson could line up as RB, WR, TE, or QB. Stetson could play back up or QB when Richardson lines up at another position.

The offense could get real creative.

Richardson is like Tayson Hill. If he could improve his accuracy he would be a true franchise QB. IF.
That's actually not the worst on an interim 1-2 year basis, to draft Richardson and play him mostly in RPO packages 4-8 times/game while he (hopefully) develops into a starter. He doesn't appear to be best suited in a WCO though, so not expecting Richardson to be drafted. But if Caserio falls in love with that talent and takes him, Richardson could have material impact on the offense from the get go - the way Hill in New Orleans does.

Bennett did in fact make the most to improve his draft value while one of the two most hyped players opted to sit the drills out, and the other couldn’t hit his receivers in stride to save his life. Although not a deal breaker, I’m a little concerned by CJ not being able to put that ball in front of those receivers and instead making all of them have to slow down to not outrun the ball. He didn’t even hit one of the receivers in stride. I was impressed by a couple of the QBs that nobody is talking about. Could be a few diamonds in the rough in them mid rounds.

He’s probably going in the second or third. No way he goes past the 4th round.
I don’t think Bennett makes it out of the 1st round.
If teams are saying Bryce Young is a perennial top 10 pick and Bennet has done everything and more Young has ever done on the field, and doesn’t shy away from showing teams he is as advertised at the combine, while the other does, I don’t see him falling out of the 1st.
Not with that accuracy and those giant mitts.

An older article on this subject..........but still seems very applicable today.

***************************************************************************************************

2016 NFL DRAFTSCOUTING
Quarterback Traits: The Attainable Versus The Inherent
March 17, 2016

Ted Nguyen

The NFL Scouting Combine is in the rear view mirror and as evaluators assemble their draft boards, it is important to think about how players may improve once they reach the next level. Some talents just comes naturally while others take years of fine-tuning. Ted Nguyen breaks down the quarterback traits and weighs the attainable versus the inherent.
14 traits required of an NFL quarterback; and most comments being posted here are going ga-ga over the one trait which the combine measures - arm talent.

These 14 traits are:
Footwork
Fluidity
Throwing Mechanics
Arm Talent
Quick Release
Reading a Defense
Mental Processing
Accuracy in a Clean Pocket
Accuracy From Different Platforms
Eye Manipulation
Poise In Pocket
Clutch Factor
Decision Making
Work Ethic

Of these 14, Young is elite in at least 10 of these. Three I don't have an opinion on. The only one I can say with certainty that Young falls a little short of is arm talent. And arm talent is actually broken down into three components: strength, accuracy and touch. Young has accuracy and touch. He lacks elite strength, although he does have an NFL arm and can make all the throws. Footwork, Fluidity and Mechanics are the three that I don't have an opinion on.

Young is an elite talent, maybe generational, the only concern being his size.

The reason Young is maintaining his status as the #1 QB, despite not throwing at the combine, are all these intangibles which make up an elite QB and which Young is clearly exceptionally gifted with.

Yeah, I didn't watch the combine workouts for these QB's. I only watched the one video posted above, that showed Stroud and Richardson throwing deep balls. I don't know what they did in other drills, but from that video, Stroud wasn't accurate, and Richardson was. It doesn't mean I'm a fan of Richardson, it just means that in this one video Richardson looked better. I still wouldn't take any of the QB's in this draft with our 1st round picks.

Yeah, I didn't watch the combine workouts for these QB's. I only watched the one video posted above, that showed Stroud and Richardson throwing deep balls. I don't know what they did in other drills, but from that video, Stroud wasn't accurate, and Richardson was. It doesn't mean I'm a fan of Richardson, it just means that in this one video Richardson looked better. I still wouldn't take any of the QB's in this draft with our 1st round picks.
But the hype. As advertised every year. LOL.
I just watched Mr Irrelevant take his team to the NFCCG as a rookie, while the 3rd overall pick sat and watched looking like Mr Mistake, and we’re all supposed to believe some pundit, know nothing, has all the answers…

And trading up to 1? Man, that’s gonna be rich, as CHI can hold HOU over a barrel and demand just about anything they want cause they have other teams contending too.
No thanks.
I’d be totally content if HOU just sat at #2, took Anderson, then took the best WR at 12, then if they really liked a guy like Bennett, move back up and grab him in the late 20’s.
This teams needs are everywhere.

I watched the combine tape of Stroud throwing. I don't put a ton of stock into QBs making most of these throws in absence of a defense and WR repeating similar routes. I thought Stroud looked ok - he made some of those deep go route and was a short or slightly long on others. He was fine. I don't get the fawning some of twitter or making of it.

On his deep ball, he seems to put a lot of loft on them - almost a little too much loft. This may account for a handful of short throws. But otherwise, easily correctable with slight trajectory adjustment and of zero concern to me. Stroud does throw a nice catachable spiral and has Plus arm strength. Not the arm talent I worry about Stroud its the other stuff.

I’ll state upfront I didn’t see the first group, so I did not catch Bennett. But both watching him play some, combined with draft reviews I’ve read…he won’t sniff day 1 and likely won’t be chosen day 2. If he looked better then scouts expected, maybe he worked his way up among the final group of guys. Those that are generally expected to be backups, or future XFL guys, but where once in a while you end up with a gem.

That group starts in the 4th rd and goes through UDFA guys. I had him in the 6th to 7th range, so perhaps he’s in the 4th or 5th now. Maybe. Again I didn’t see the workout. But a guy doesn’t move from the 6th to the 1st based on a combine workout. That’s a wee bit far fetched.

Reactions: JB
I’ll state upfront I didn’t see the first group, so I did not catch Bennett. But both watching him play some, combined with draft reviews I’ve read…he won’t sniff day 1 and likely won’t be chosen day 2. If he looked better then scouts expected, maybe he worked his way up among the final group of guys. Those that are generally expected to be backups, or future XFL guys, but where once in a while you end up with a gem.

That group starts in the 4th rd and goes through UDFA guys. I had him in the 6th to 7th range, so perhaps he’s in the 4th or 5th now. Maybe. Again I didn’t see the workout. But a guy doesn’t move from the 6th to the 1st based on a combine workout. That’s a wee bit far fetched.
I would not be surprised to see him go on Day 2. More productive and have better stats than Stroud, Young, and Levis. If he was consistently doing it in college better than everyone else, he can likely do it in the NFL. I do understand how some are influenced by the media's perception.

Last edited:

Yeah, this is why just watching bits and pieces can skew your opinion. Based on that deep ball video, I'm taking Richardson.

But I've seen the video of Richardson throwing outs, and he sucked. Hard. I mean Osweiler level bad.

Apparently, Stroud was killing the shorter throws. I haven't watched that yet, though.

I would not be surprised to see him go on Day 2. More productive and have better stats than Stroud, Young, and Levis.
I wonder what Nick does if he drafts BPA at 1.2 and 1.12 instead of either one of those hyped up QBs, and Bennett is still there when we’re on the clock in the 2nd round? :howdy:

I think some people, myself included, I look for reasons to not draft a guy at a particular spot in the draft. That's with every guy, every pick. It's almost like reading Amazon reviews for products. I'm more picky when it comes to quarterbacks because they are high dollar "purchases". Quarterbacks in the first round are like buying the newest gaming computer. Negative reviews have more weight than if I was buying a pair of socks.
Good stuff banned and I understand that completely. The dude I was talking about is actually doing the polar opposite of what you said right here. I looked at the combine on yesterday. Both Stroud and Richardson looked good. Both players threw the deep ball with ease. The only problem I saw with Richardson was his accuracy on those sideline passes.

I wonder what Nick does if he drafts BPA at 1.2 and 1.12 instead of either one of those hyped up QBs, and Bennett is still there when we’re on the clock in the 2nd round? :howdy:
I just can’t fault that strategy in this draft with these QBs. I really can’t fault moving up into the end of the 1st and snagging him and I think that’s what will happen with a team. I don’t think they would wait and let him get snagged just ahead of them and they want that 1st round 5th year.

Maybe because he's 24 and turning 25 within the NFL season? I kind of viewed him as a game manager type of not really gifted with arm talent. Kinda answered some of that throwing 55-60 yard bombs with ease on the money. Physique looked solid too. At the very least, his performance is going to have scout teams reconsider and rewatch some of his tape.

Last edited:
Small anecdote of a non-football play, but man is this guy athletic. Here's Richardson doing a flat-footed backflip—actually *over-rotating* slightly and falling back. This is a 6'4, 244lb man 😯. Confident in saying that this is the most athletic QB I've ever seen overall (speed, power, measurables package) at this point. Someone's going to take him very early and it wouldn't even surprise me if he's the first QB taken.

Last edited:
So you are taking your a whole betting market's opinion with a grain of salt and superceding that with your own subjective opinion that Stroud's stock has risen. Is that what you are saying?? Because it sure sounds like that's what you said, and that's a whole lot of confirmation bias which disregards a super majority opinion based on where actual dollars are being placed.

And I don't think within an inch on height really makes that much difference. It's more about Young's frame.
I am asking your opinion - not the bettor's market.

Small anecdote of a non-football play, but man is this guy athletic. Here's Richardson doing a flat-footed backflip—actually *over-rotating* slightly and falling back. This is a 6'4, 244lb man . Pretty confident in saying that this is the most athletic QB I've ever seen overall (speed, power, measurables package) at this point. Someone's going to take him very early and it wouldn't even surprise me if he's the first QB taken.

My concern is that he is muscle between the ears and not brains.

I don’t think he gets past NO with the 30th pick…
Bennett is a Drew Brees clone. Even the 10 inch hands..

Brees at the Combine was 6'0.25" and 213 lbs.

Even if only an inch difference in height, that is 20 lbs more than Bennett's 192 lbs. To me that is the biggest difference between the two.

Brees' arm length is over 2" longer and hand size is slightly bigger. Bennett did better in 40-yard, high and long jump, probably being a bit more mobile than Brees with the weight difference.

14 traits required of an NFL quarterback; and most comments being posted here are going ga-ga over the one trait which the combine measures - arm talent.

These 14 traits are:
Footwork
Fluidity
Throwing Mechanics
Arm Talent
Quick Release
Reading a Defense
Mental Processing
Accuracy in a Clean Pocket
Accuracy From Different Platforms
Eye Manipulation
Poise In Pocket
Clutch Factor
Decision Making
Work Ethic

Of these 14, Young is elite in at least 10 of these. Three I don't have an opinion on. The only one I can say with certainty that Young falls a little short of is arm talent. And arm talent is actually broken down into three components: strength, accuracy and touch. Young has accuracy and touch. He lacks elite strength, although he does have an NFL arm and can make all the throws. Footwork, Fluidity and Mechanics are the three that I don't have an opinion on.

Young is an elite talent, maybe generational, the only concern being his size.

The reason Young is maintaining his status as the #1 QB, despite not throwing at the combine, are all these intangibles which make up an elite QB and which Young is clearly exceptionally gifted with.
LZ broke down some of his game tape and he thought his foot work and mechanics were good if I remember correctly.

Saturday Combine thoughts....

I expected Jalin Hyatt to run a high 4.2 or low 4.3. He ran a 4.40. Makes me question the Bama DBs the way Hyatt torched them. Hyatt may be an exceptional route runner by the way he got open. He is frail weighing only 176 lbs. I Thought Hyatt may have small hands due to drops but his hands measured 9".

QB surprises
Nobody threw the ball worse than Tanner McKee. Stetson Bennett threw the ball best.
Hyatt has that extra gear you can't see in a 40 yd dash. Remember when Prime said Hester had next man speed? That's Hyatt to a T. If the ball is in the air and it looks likes its going to be overthrown, Hyatt has that extra burst. I thought he would run a 4.35, but 4.4 is more than fast enough. The guy who ran the 4.26 from Michigan was giving up plays and completions all day.

Small anecdote of a non-football play, but man is this guy athletic. Here's Richardson doing a flat-footed backflip—actually *over-rotating* slightly and falling back. This is a 6'4, 244lb man 😯. Confident in saying that this is the most athletic QB I've ever seen overall (speed, power, measurables package) at this point. Someone's going to take him very early and it wouldn't even surprise me if he's the first QB taken.

Thatll be me in my living if the Texans draft him.

Well any of the qbs but especially him.

Back