Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Houston Texans Off Season Programs

I can see by your deflection that you admit defeat and see the error of your statement.
I didn't know this is about winning and losing. wearing a piece of cloth accomplishes exactly nothing.

I don’t see any problem with anyone speaking on something as egregious as this. This is not about politics.

Me either, except what does wearing a piece of cloth do? Particularly at work, wear/do whatever you want after work.

wanted back. The rookie had been duped. The defense and their new coordinator, Matt Burke, deployed a coverage they’d only installed that day. A veteran might’ve deduced the concept. But almost everything is new for Stroud, the No. 2 overall pick whose mistakes are an acceptable and expected cost of his acclimation. Correcting them will accelerate its completion.

Practice ended. The team huddled, broke. Coaches and players wandered toward the walking bridge over Kirby Drive. Stroud hustled, shouted: “Coach Burke!” The two walked together back to NRG Stadium, Stroud peppering Burke with questions about the coverage that had confounded him, what he’d seen, how it’d been set up. Burke knew he was only the latest source for Stroud’s curiosity.

“He’s literally grabbing everybody he can on the field,” Burke said.

Welcome to Stroud’s first month with the Texans, a period defined by the Ohio State product’s diligent exploration of the things he doesn’t know. Every coach, every player seems to have their own story. It’s a promising sign. There is no more important development project for a franchise emerging from its rebuild, a team whose quarterback issues compounded two seasons mired in losing.

Stroud is already advancing. He began Houston’s offseason program as the second quarterback in the rotation behind incumbent starter Davis Mills. After five weeks of meetings and limited on-field workouts, they first faced defenses in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills last week. The Texans were given four days off for Memorial Day, and after they returned Tuesday, Stroud seized the offense’s first-team snaps.

Coach DeMeco Ryans said it was “very eye-opening” how “on it” Stroud was when workouts resumed. The rookie was more confident in huddles, Ryans said, more fluent in his play calls, more proficient as a passer. Stroud’s promotion in practice, however inevitable it may have seemed for Houston’s top draft pick, remains significant due to the swiftness with which it was secured.

The Texans have four more workouts before their two-day mandatory minicamp begins June 13. It will be the franchise’s best-case scenario for Stroud to open training camp in late July as the clear starting quarterback. The organization augmented a preseason schedule that begins Aug. 10 against the Patriots by securing joint practices with the Dolphins and Saints, and the more problems Stroud solves with the first team, the more he can quell concerns associated with starting a rookie in Week 1.

“He’s definitely progressing in the right direction,” Ryans said after Wednesday’s workout. “The sky’s the limit for him.”

Stroud was noticeably more comfortable in Wednesday’s workout. On-target passes that wobbled a week ago morphed into tight spirals. He’d improved on his footwork and timing on play-action techniques from under-center snaps, which he rarely did while playing in Ohio State’s shotgun-oriented spread system..

Jerrod Johnson, Houston’s quarterbacks coach, said Stroud is “already way, way ahead of pace” with his footwork and timing. The purer Stroud’s technique, the more clearly he can see his progressions, read defenses and make correct decisions. He was 6-of-8 passing during 7-on-7 drills. He dropped a pass of 30-plus yards to Nico Collins along the left sideline over cornerback Cobi Francis. Stroud fired a 20-yard pass up the right seam to a diving Dameon Pierce, who nearly hung on for a completion. He fit a slant to Collins between tightly contested defenders Derek Stingley Jr. and Christian Harris.

Stroud’s next challenge appears to be handling the rush. His completions wavered in 11-on-11 drills against the first-team defensive line. He was 3-for-7 on passes the Chronicle observed. He attempted to hum a slant to Collins against Stingley, but safety Jalen Pitre swooped in and swatted the pass incomplete. Eventually, Stroud drove the offense downfield with a series of slants and hitches, mostly to Collins. Stroud showcased his penchant for precision by humming a hitch to Collins tightly between Francis and veteran safety Jimmie Ward.

“We knew in the draft process (Stroud) had an understanding of protections and coverages and a lot of things that you need as a foundation just to understand the language we’re speaking in the quarterback room,” said Johnson, who is a full-time quarterbacks coach for the first time. “So, him coming in with a lot of that foundation from college is huge. But for the most part for us, we just want him to understand the urgency of playing on time and just kind of the foundation of this offense so he can be successful. I think he’s done a really good job of that.”

The Texans are hardly near installing the fullness of Slowik’s system. Slowik is still identifying the player-specific modifications these workouts are revealing. So, the first-time offensive coordinator says he has been methodical in his teaching. It’s an approach the entire coaching staff shares. Ryans, 38, built a young staff that includes first-time position coaches who are teaching a new system to a roster with 41 new players. But Slowik realizes his and Johnson’s management of Stroud’s development will significantly impact how quickly the Texans can return to competitiveness.

Cant wait to see them practice against other teams.

I would've rather the Texans staff looked more like the Panthers staff. The McNair's have been notoriously cheap when it comes to hiring assistant coaches. Hence why from Kubiak to BOB now to Ryans staffs they've always been young.

The Texans employ 23 assistant coaches with a collective 159 years of NFL coaching experience. But, they're dumb and cheap.
Compare them to the Panthers staff.

Nope, they are a marketing firm, with a football division. Might as well kept Rootes around. He probably would still be alive.

I don't see how you can have 159 years of NFL experience, and claim they are too young. Plenty of NFL knowledge. The Panthers have a first time OC, too. Yes, they have Dom Capers as an assistant. 36 years in the league. I guess you want him back. They have the Texans OL coaches from Culley's staff. You hated them.

Complaining to be complaining.

Is it political to not want kids shot and killed in schools? I don’t think so. It should be something we all don’t support.

Call me crazy.

So long as we're not under the impression that a gun bounced into that school, all by itself, and began targeting kids.

I'd be much happier with a movement like....Americans Sick of Crazy Ducking Killers on the Loose. These nut cases have an idea as to how they'll inflict damage, but if a gun wasn't an option....they'd find another way.

A major reason why Stroud is advancing rapidly as he tries to prove he can handle being the Texans’ QB1 heading into the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens: his intellectual curiosity.

Not only has Stroud approached defensive coordinator Matt Burke to gain knowledge about coverage schemes that initially threw him off his game, he has done so with the Texans’ defensive backs, including standout safety Jalen Pitre.

Texans quarterbacks coach Jerrod Johnson has known Stroud since he was competing in Elite 11 at the age of 17, watching his progression from a California high school standout, to winning the Ohio State quarterback job over blue-chip recruits, including Texas Longhorns starter Quinn Ewers, becoming a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist and now as a precocious rookie and second overall pick of the draft.

“I met C.J. at a young age and to go through the draft process and see him now as an adult, a mature kid who’s been through a lot, on and off the field, and see the man he’s become, it’s great to have that reference point,” Johnson said. “I’m excited for his future. We just want him to be comfortable and confident in what we’re asking him to do. We just want him to be the best version of himself.”

Stroud has looked extremely natural dropping back from under center, something he wasn’t required to do often in college, executing crisp play-action fakes before finding his targets downfield.

Stroud has been earning the confidence of the coaching staff.

That includes Burke, who came away encouraged after a recent practice by how much Stroud humbly wanted to gain more knowledge from him about how the defense was attacking him.

During the practice session, Stroud was somewhat befuddled in a two-minute drill toward the end of practice and threw a pass into coverage as he encountered an unfamiliar defensive scheme.

“It was the first day we put the coverage in, and he threw in, and kind of probably was a throw he probably wanted back,” Burke said. “The first thing he did when I was walking off the field was he grabbed me, said literally, ‘Coach Burke.’ And he spent about 10 minutes walking in off the field asking me about the coverage and just sort of what he saw and how we kind of set it up and talked through that.

“So I think, just again, his deliberateness and intent to try to get better, and like he’s literally grabbing everybody he can on the field. He’s been very sort of intentional about learning and just learning defense, too, like, ‘What did you call there? What was that coverage or what did you do here?’ I respect that from him.”

Respect is a huge factor for any NFL player, especially for a rookie who could be tasked with leading the entire offense and, by extension, the whole team.

“This team has been very accepting of me, very honest, and very transparent,” Stroud said. “What I love about it, man, nothing has been given to me. I have to earn everything, which I love. It’s been like that my whole career, so it’s nothing new.

“For me, I’m trying to get better. t’s not about being with the ones, being with the twos, just getting better. That’s what spring is for. Getting the timing down, learning my receivers. That’s what I’ve been on. It’s not about ones and twos right now, just getting better as a whole and getting ready for training camp.”

Stroud hasn’t thrown an interception during any of the Texans’ practices open to reporters. At some point, he’ll make some mistakes. It’s how he handles those kind of miscues that will be defining moments in whether the Texans entrust him as a first-year starter.

By all early accounts, Stroud is well on his way toward earning that kind of status ahead of incumbent starter Davis Mills.
Whether it’s how he runs the huddle or throws the football, the initial returns on Stroud are encouraging.
“C.J., he’s progressing well,” Texans coach DeMeco Ryans said. “Each day he continues to get better and more comfortable with the verbiage of the offense. His command of the huddle I thought this week has been really good.
“Coming off the long weekend, it was very eye-opening how on it he was. He did an awesome job in our situational period he’s definitely progressing in the right direction. The sky is the limit for him.
Stroud, drafted by the Texan one selection after Alabama quarterback Bryce Young went to the Carolina Panthers first overall, has made a great first impression on the Texans.
They like what they’re seeing from him so far and are eager to chart his growth.
In his interaction with Pitre, he was seeking advice, wanting to learn about what he can do better.
“A real professional,” Pitre said. “Every day he’s looking for something to get better at. Asking different things we’re seeing and different ways he can get better. It’s a real professional in C.J., and you could see why he was drafted so high because he really cares about the game of football.”
For Stroud, a 21-year-old native of Rancho Cucamonga, California, it’s about proving himself all over again at a higher level.
“Of course, it’s a dream come true, and of course I’ve been working for it my whole life, but I feel like I’m built for this,” Stroud said. “I’m made not just to play football, but to use football to help inspire people and lead people to God. That’s what I plan to do.
“It’s just a stepping stone. I have a lot more goals and a lot more plans to accomplish what I want to accomplish on and off the field, and I’m excited to do that with this great organization.”
Because the Texans are still in install mode with first-time offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik’s version of the Kyle Shanahan-Gary Kubiak offensive system, it’s difficult to make lasting impressions from one practice.
Stroud has been extremely accurate, just as he was for the Buckeyes as he completed 69.3 percent of his throws in two seasons as the starter.
“I would say a good leader already coming in, vocal, speaking up in meetings, being able to sit with him at times in the quarterback meetings and hearing him ask some great questions, trying to pick apart the offense and grasp it pretty early,” veteran wide receiver Robert Woods said. “Out on the field, making some strong throws, good reads, good decisions. That’s really a good thing to start with a rookie quarterback coming in, being able to make the right decisions, know when to throw it, know when to pull it down. Good decisions on timing and accuracy with the football.”

Last edited:
I don't see how you can have 159 years of NFL experience, and claim they are too young. Plenty of NFL knowledge. The Panthers have a first time OC, too. Yes, they have Dom Capers as an assistant. 36 years in the league. I guess you want him back. They have the Texans OL coaches from Culley's staff. You hated them.

Complaining to be complaining.
I guess you confidently left out Caldwell.

You really can't compare the 2 staffs experience wise.

Meanwhile, Will Levis is apologizing for his shitty performance at Titans' OTA's. LOL. Consoling himself with mayo in his waterbottle.
Who bleeping cares what Levis is doing right now. I could careless about what Levis is doing. I only care about what Stroud is doing.

You really can't compare the 2 staffs experience wise.
Both the Panthers and the Texans OCs are 37 and in their first seasons as coordinators.

The Panthers DC is 42, has been in the league since 2007, and in his 2nd DC gig. The Texans DC is 47, has been in the league since 2004, and in his 2nd DC gig.

Other than a couple of old farts that probably won't do much, the staffs are absolutely comparable.

Both the Panthers and the Texans OCs are 37 and in their first seasons as coordinators.

The Panthers DC is 42, has been in the league since 2007, and in his 2nd DC gig. The Texans DC is 47, has been in the league since 2004, and in his 2nd DC gig.

Other than a couple of old farts that probably won't do much, the staffs are absolutely comparable.

If you can't understand the trio of Reich, Caldwell, Capers have far more experience than anybody on the current Texans staff, I don't know what to tell you.

Sometimes I think you like to argue just to argue.

Before a HC was hired I was wanting the type of staff Payton put together. The Carolina staff fits what I was looking for as well. You know the type of staff the Texans staff has never had before. Guys that have been around the block and seen it all.

If you can't understand the trio of Reich, Caldwell, Capers have far more experience than anybody on the current Texans staff, I don't know what to tell you.
Then stop telling me. Caldwell and Capers aren't actively coaching the Panthers. The coaches that are creating the game plans and calling the plays have very similar career paths to those with the Texans.
Sometimes I think you like to argue just to argue.
the-pot-calling-the-kettle-black-1-638.jpg

Sorry for being off the topic here, but that DL coach is wearing the same T-shirt that DeMeco was shown wearing in another photo and I really like it but must coachs only shirt because I can't find one for sale, atleast that color in that design ?
They are probably specially made for them. I wouldn’t mind purchasing one for myself

Was pretty

A better CB would have eaten it up!
or it could be that the ball was perfectly thrown to where ONLY the receiver could have caught it. each play stands on its own. If it was a better CB the throw would be adjusted to that situation If needed but the ball was placed perfectly given the tight coverage on the play, IMO. Balls thrown like that can also draw interference calls if Stroud continues to thread the needle and the CB’s get desperate.

or it could be that the ball was perfectly thrown to where ONLY the receiver could have caught it. each play stands on its own. If it was a better CB the throw would be adjusted to that situation If needed but the ball was placed perfectly given the tight coverage on the play, IMO. Balls thrown like that can also draw interference calls if Stroud continues to thread the needle and the CB’s get desperate.

We can only hope right?

Then stop telling me. Caldwell and Capers aren't actively coaching the Panthers. The coaches that are creating the game plans and calling the plays have very similar career paths to those with the Texans.

the-pot-calling-the-kettle-black-1-638.jpg
Lol

Back