Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Ben Johnson

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ejiro Evero

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Then Texans currently have 7 requests out to various guys to fill the position.

Do you want someone with experience (Payton)? Do you want a talented younger to take the reins? Do you want an offensive or defensive minded head coach?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Other = Wes Phillips, there is no way I see Payton teaming up with Cal McNair. Not going to happen.

NFL is an Offensive Minded league. Cal needs to sign an offensive-minded genius. Vikings are 13 - 4, Kirk Cousins is playing at a Top 5 NFL QB level. Vikes have an explosive passing game.

Last edited:
I like both Ryans and Gannon. I’m not sure if Ryans will come here, but I’d love to see what he would do with our defense.

I’ve read that Gannon is an excellent leader in the locker room, so he’s also a front runner for me.

Many folks are touting what Johnson has done for Goff. For some reason, what Phillips has done for Cousins to turn him into a Top 5 QB has slipped under the radar.
I would say Cousins is a top 10. I wouldn’t think of him in the top 5. Too many talented QBs ahead of him.

vtech9

All Pro
I can't answer this yet. I need to know who they are going to bring in as their OC and DC first. At this point, I don't really have a favorite. They are all good choices in my opinion. Payton may be a good choice, but he has already retired once. How long will he coach this time? I like DeMeco, but there is something that makes me leery about making him the HC.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Why Wes Phillips? The Vikings have performed well under him, but he’s not at the top of most people’s lists.
I guess I should clarify my Wes Phillips choice. My actual real first choice is for the Dolphins to fire Mike McDaniel so they hire Jim Harbaugh and this time the Texans can actually hire the fired Dolphins coach.

Mangler

Toro de España
I wouldn’t mind giving the Saints out Cleveland pick that we got for the Derapist trade. We still have the #2 overall pick and a bunch more draft picks. Not to mention all the money to sign good free agents. Nick has been pretty good in the mid rounds anyway.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Pass on Sean Payton. No coach that has one a Super Bowl has won two with two different team.

Add that with obstacle with a QB like Bryce Young everyone wants to take a chance on reduced the risk of success.

Then you are giving up picks?

To me I think it would make more sense to go focus the OCs from Kafka, Phillips, or Johnson. The clincher is who they can get on the staff.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Kafka, Johnson or Steichen. Want a bright young offensive mind. Feel like if Payton were to come here it would be “temporary” before he leaves. He saw his SB window closed and left the Saints. What’s he gonna do if his first QB don’t turn into Brees?

Porky

Hall of Fame
With one exception I want an offensive minded guy. There are 3 really good known candidates that are younger guys and I think any of the 3 could be great after a year or so.

The Exception is Ryans. That guy is special, has history here, beloved by the fan base, and could do wonders for the D. As long as he brings an OC off the Shanny tree somewhere, that’s a winning combo, so he is my first choice with a bullet.

I wouldn’t hate the Gannon hire but imho there are at least 4 better choices, and he is a D guy so not terrible, but sort of meh on him.

Payton I really can’t see it. Theoretically? Sure, realistically? Show me the path that makes sense. I think Jerrah is secretly hoping the Cowboys lose to TB so he has an excuse to fire McCarthy and about 10 seconds later he will be on the horn to Payton. That’s his dream hire, and somehow, some way, Jones usually gets what he wants.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Pass on Sean Payton. No coach that has one a Super Bowl has won two with two different team.

Add that with obstacle with a QB like Bryce Young everyone wants to take a chance on reduced the risk of success.

Then you are giving up picks?

To me I think it would make more sense to go focus the OCs from Kafka, Phillips, or Johnson. The clincher is who they can get on the staff.
Bryce with Payton would actually be a good thing.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I would have to know what their plans were, how they think they could turn it around, what coaches they have in mind to bring in, etc and so forth. I guess I’d pretty much have to interview them. As I’ve said somewhere around here, I don’t want to hire a head coordinator.

I do like the list though. I haven’t done any research at all on all of them but I think everyone on it is worthy of the opportunity, at least more so than the last 2 searches.

I also think Payton is the longest shot on the board. Just don’t see that happening. If the Cowboys don’t let go of McCarthy, maybe the odds go up some, but still don’t see it happening.

I also hope we don’t wait around to be the last ones to hire. Don’t know if I’d want leftovers, someone who went through several interviews and got passed on.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I guess I should clarify my Wes Phillips choice. My actual real first choice is for the Dolphins to fire Mike McDaniel so they hire Jim Harbaugh and this time the Texans can actually hire the fired Dolphins coach.
He was my choice two years ago ago but that ship has sailed. Even handicapped with Tua. he chooses the right path and will adjust post Tua if need be.

Texian

Hall of Fame
He was my choice two years ago ago but that ship has sailed. Even handicapped with Tua. he chooses the right path and will adjust post Tua if need be.
My crystal ball sees an 82 yr old Miami Dolphins owner hiring Jim Harbaugh, firing Mike McDaniel and signing Tom Brady. UUMMM MALI MALI UUMMM.

• Haha
Reactions: JB

edo783

Hall of Fame
Neither Ryan's or Payton will come here. I would prefer an offensive minded coach. However, I don't have a feel at this time for what any of them would bring to the table for OC and DC. I do have some idea of what Gannon would likely bring with him. So, even though he is a defensive minded coach, the team overall would seem to be pretty good. A smart head coach hires the best he can find in the support team and then gets out of their way and let them do what they do best. Micro management seldom works very effectively in my experience. Give them result based expectations and then let them do it. If they don't meet results, give corrective direction. If still not meeting expectations, go another way with someone else. The objective should be to have a dynamic modern offense and a stone cold killer defense.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I wouldn't be upset with any of the coaches on that list. From that list, the only thing that would upset me is giving up draft picks for a frigging coach. No way, that's just a dump idea. And why in the hell would a future coach want to just give up that draft pick before coming here, that's not helping him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like this a lot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't be upset with any of the coaches on that list. From that list, the only thing that would upset me is giving up draft picks for a frigging coach. No way, that's just a dump idea. And why in the hell would a future coach want to just give up that draft pick before coming here, that's not helping him.
I would give up 1-12 for Payton. Because Payton would want full control.

Not Texans Worthy would be a thing of the past.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would love to see what Sean Payton can do with this team, but he would come at a high price - logically that shouldn't matter if it turns this team 180%.
However, we have other options that may be be just as effective and Mike Kafka has shown he can coach a young QB and run an effective offense so I voted for him.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Neither Ryan's or Payton will come here. I would prefer an offensive minded coach. However, I don't have a feel at this time for what any of them would bring to the table for OC and DC. I do have some idea of what Gannon would likely bring with him. So, even though he is a defensive minded coach, the team overall would seem to be pretty good. A smart head coach hires the best he can find in the support team and then gets out of their way and let them do what they do best. Micro management seldom works very effectively in my experience. Give them result based expectations and then let them do it. If they don't meet results, give corrective direction. If still not meeting expectations, go another way with someone else. The objective should be to have a dynamic modern offense and a stone cold killer defense.
I think we need an offensive minded coach - it seems to be the most successful direction with today's league. Besides, Lovie is a pretty astute Defensive minded coach and look how that panned out...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2-33 plus 4-103 and a 6th. Plus a 2nd a 2024 2nd.

Payton automatically brings badly needed credibility to the Texans org.

With that said I sure like Kalfka a lot.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Maybe Shane Stitch-em-up can teach them how to beat the Eagles. At least that would be new.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
No way the Texans should give up either first. I’d give them #33 and a pick next year but that’s it.
If Payton can turn this team around 180° and go over .500 next season would you do it?
Bonus question - which 1st round picks would do that for Texans?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Agree about Payton and draft picks. This team needs talent and the Saints are probably going to expect a first. No way.
I don't know what the asking price from the Saints would be. No one does. But let's say it was the #12 pick from the Browns. If I had told you that Caserio was able to trade Watson for 2 1sts, 2 middle round picks, and the rights to Sean Payton, would you have thought it was a good deal at the time? I would have been very excited. The last 5 #12 picks have been:

2022 - Jameson Williams - WR - Lions
2021 - Micah Parsons - LB - Cowboys
2020 - Henry Ruggs - WR - Raiders
2019 - Rashan Gary - DE - Packers
2018 - Vita Vea - DT - Bucs

You may miss on a star (Parsons). You may miss on a bust (Ruggs). Or someone in between. But in trading for Payton, you know you're getting one of the top coaches in the league. A guy that has built winning teams, year in, year out. And yes, this team needs talent. But it also needs leadership. It's dying for leadership. Again, I don't know what the price would be for Payton. But I'm not going to dismiss the notion out of hand.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Let’s find the next Sean Payton and not the aged Sean Payton.
It's not like Payton will have to suit up. I like the idea of a young, fiery leader. The next McVay. But I like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Andy Reid, too. If you can tell me for a fact which of these half dozen OCs will be the next McVay or Shanny, I'm in. I can tell you for a fact that Sean Payton is Sean Payton.
Does anyone else just know that Cal is going to F this up?
Gotta piss on my corn flakes, huh?

Has any of these rising stars in the coaching realm persevered through a roster as devoid of talent (or unproven on the field) as the current Texans roster? It seems to me that most are coming from rosters that are far more superior. Coaching ain't easy but it sure pays good...

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Has any of these rising stars in the coaching realm persevered through a roster as devoid of talent (or unproven on the field) as the current Texans roster? It seems to me that most are coming from rosters that are far more superior. Coaching ain't easy but it sure pays good...
You don't usually see coordinators hired away from bad teams

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's not like Payton will have to suit up. I like the idea of a young, fiery leader. The next McVay. But I like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Andy Reid, too. If you can tell me for a fact which of these half dozen OCs will be the next McVay or Shanny, I'm in. I can tell you for a fact that Sean Payton is Sean Payton.

Gotta piss on my corn flakes, huh?
Not intentionally....

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You don't usually see coordinators hired away from bad teams
Ben Johnson is coming from Detroit so there’s that.