Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Ben Johnson

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ejiro Evero

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Nick said that the media narrative about certain guys not being interested is bunk, and that he got a call from this person's agent saying that dude was pumped about the opportunity.

So, this narrative that Demeco isn't interested is garbage. There are 32 of these guys. The lawsuit aside, he has a great history here and lots of memories. The fans love him. Outside of Payton, this is the biggest splash move you can make, which has an appeal from the marketing side.

I don't have a major issue with Anthony Lynn as OC. First choice? Eh, probably not. But he is a well-seasoned OC with HC experience that could also potentially hold the title of asst HC for a first-timer like Ryans.

Sorry guys, but Ryans is my pick. He's the perfect selection for where we are and he will help put fannies in seats along with our brand spanking new shiny QB.

I like the wide net that they’re casting for this HC search. I don’t know a lot about him, but I like the info clip.

Interesting candidate. He has had a lot of success as a college RB coach. And got promoted to assistant head coach under Mcvay during his three seasons with the Rams. Former player, high energy. I’m sure he will interview well.

Gannon
Ryans
Steichen
Kafka
Johnson
Payton
Brown

In that order. Reason for that is, Gannon has already interviewed, the repoire with NC is there…and he can bring in an offensive guy and won’t meddle. Thing about bringing in offensive HC is those guys always wanna call the plays which leaves them vulnerable to game management issues…especially 1st time guys. and to me those guys ALWAYS seem to be more rigid with the offensive scheme and personnel they want for their offense b/c they typically come from teams with star qbs. Who can forget BoB’s love for Alfred Blue….or Kubiak basically forcing the Schaub extension even tho it was apparent Schaub needed to be put out to pasture.

The younger Defensive guys tend to let their OC’s loose with creativity and personnel.

Payton would be a voice sorely needed in the Texan's offices, but I don't want to give up any draft picks for a coach.

Also, anybody got Payton's record without Brees under center handy?
If Payton comes here hopefully our QB will have same record as Drew Brees after Payton works with him. Wouldn't it be cool if we had a head coach and a quarterback that were successful for the next 15 years?

On

So it's been reported, but I see no truth in it. Why wouldn't he be interested? Because fans are down on ownership? Because we had a turf issue when he played here? Because he doesn't want two 1st round picks to kick off his HC tenure?
Other prospects have scheduled interviews. Has Demeco?

Yes, I forgot thats why Brady failed so horribly after leaving the Patriots he didn't have Belichick

IF Belichick is the creator of Brady... then he should be able to duplicate the results.
Right, because it took Brady just a couple of years to become that HOF QB. Gotcha.

I see where you are coming from, but. . .

Do you really think the McNairs will completely overhaul their front office from a consensus boardroom power structure to a one man show? I think they might have got their fill of a one man kingdom having so much power. That's ultimately what SP will require. His ego is potentially as big as O'Brien's. He's just got a much better resume.

By that measure, do you think SP will change his management style to conform to the consensus boardroom power structure that has been in place for 2+ decades?

In life, we learn early that square pegs do not fit in round holes. And this is my own perception of the differences between SP's known management style and what we know about the way things are on Kirby Drive.

I'm not getting my hopes up for SP, simply because I do not believe the McNairs would basically be changing the fundamental nature of how business is handled at NRG.
Curious now that Robert McNair has passed on, why would Janice, Hannah and Cal care what kind of boardroom they have as long as the money keeps pouring in?

Kraft gets along with Belichick.

I would Think that Janice wants public Opinion about her husband's legacy to be positive rather than what it is now Regardless of who gets it there.

Sorry guys, but Ryans is my pick. He's the perfect selection for where we are and he will help put fannies in seats along with our brand spanking new shiny QB.

Sorry, I know he's the fan fav but I just don't think he's been doing it long enough to know what he'd want as HC and how to go about it. Maybe he does and that's what interviews are for, but that and he's only worked for 1 team. Not a lot of input from different coaches, different ways to do it.

From the candidates we know about, Gannon and Steichen would be at the top of my list right now, in that order. I'd put Payton up there too but I think that's a pipe dream.

Good points. tbh, I'm playing a devil's advocate for contextual conversation, but also on a personal level not to get my hopes up. lol

I would not hate the hire in any sort of way. I'd embrace it and hope for the best.

I'm curious why SP would take the interview. This roster is ranked 32nd in the league, so it is not a franchise that is loaded with talent and ready to win. The Texans are a long term rebuild, just based on talent alone. The front office probably needs some rebuilding, too, considering the impact of O'Brien and Easterby the past several years.

For me, I can't figure out why SP would choose a rebuild over other teams that seem much closer to being ready. Money? The challenge? He's a sucker for red, white, & blue?
What if Sean Payton does not think a rebuild has to be as long as we do?

What if his plan is to bring in Carr after he's cut; trade #2 to Lions for 2 firsts and 2 seconds; trade Cooks for a 2 and a 4; draft Will Levis and go to work preparing to go deep in playoffs in 2024?

Nick said that the media narrative about certain guys not being interested is bunk, and that he got a call from this person's agent saying that dude was pumped about the opportunity.

So, this narrative that Demeco isn't interested is garbage. There are 32 of these guys. The lawsuit aside, he has a great history here and lots of memories. The fans love him. Outside of Payton, this is the biggest splash move you can make, which has an appeal from the marketing side.

I don't have a major issue with Anthony Lynn as OC. First choice? Eh, probably not. But he is a well-seasoned OC with HC experience that could also potentially hold the title of asst HC for a first-timer like Ryans.

When is Demeco's interview?

Good points. tbh, I'm playing a devil's advocate for contextual conversation, but also on a personal level not to get my hopes up. lol

I would not hate the hire in any sort of way. I'd embrace it and hope for the best.

I'm curious why SP would take the interview. This roster is ranked 32nd in the league, so it is not a franchise that is loaded with talent and ready to win. The Texans are a long term rebuild, just based on talent alone. The front office probably needs some rebuilding, too, considering the impact of O'Brien and Easterby the past several years.

For me, I can't figure out why SP would choose a rebuild over other teams that seem much closer to being ready. Money? The challenge? He's a sucker for red, white, & blue?

Payton has one interview where he talks about QB size, so he might not be interested in Young this year.

But he had another interview where he mentioned Caleb Williams is worth tanking for and may be the catalyst for the NFL needing a lottery system.

So, if Payton is trying to position himself to be the coach of the NFL team in the best position to draft Williams next year would it be the Broncos or the Texans?

Until Ryan's signs up to be interviewed, he isn't coming here. Even if he does interview, I doubt the Mc Nairs will forget that he sued them. I seriously doubt that Payton would truly consider us. If there were a truck load of money for him, then maybe. I think he goes to the Broncos , they have a much better starting point and the owners could buy and sell our owners thirty or forty times over so the payday could be monstrous. I do like that they seem to be turning over all the rocks looking for our guy. They do need to move with a bit of alacrity as there are a fair amount of teams looking for the same thing we are. Moving to slowly will get pieces taken off the board and on the other hand can't be too hasty. I have a feeling that it will be Gannin. They know him from last year and seemed comfortable with him at that time.

Is this Reasonable? Ben Johnson says he will convince Detroit to cut Jared Goff for Houston to sign. Detroit saves 20 million cap space and Goff continues with his former offensive coordinator to improve on his 2022 season in his prime 28 if that's where he is.
Texans agree to trade 1.2 Lions pick their QB or perhaps recover part of package by trading to Panthers or Colts?

Is this Reasonable? Ben Johnson says he will convince Detroit to cut Jared Goff for Houston to sign. Detroit saves 20 million cap space and Goff continues with his former offensive coordinator to improve on his 2022 season in his prime 28 if that's where he is.
Texans agree to trade 1.2 Lions pick their QB or perhaps recover part of package by trading to Panthers or Colts?

Nuts. No.

1.2 for Goff? F'k no!

Let me clarify as I reread my post and it is confusing. Goff would be a pick up and we would trade 1.2 to the lions for 2 round ones and 2 round twos so they could pick their quarterback. Reduces their concern Texans would listen to other team proposals for #2.
OK, this makes a little more sense, but once we trade #2 to the Lions, we can't listen to other teams' proposals. But yes, I'm open to trading #2 if there's a good deal to be made.

Let me clarify as I reread my post and it is confusing. Goff would be a pick up and we would trade 1.2 to the lions for 2 round ones and 2 round twos so they could pick their quarterback. Reduces their concern Texans would listen to other team proposals for #2.
Would Goff sign a new contract for less than the $50M he is due to make over the next two years and would Detroit eat the $15M in dead money?

Payton ends the dysfunction on Kirby. The disfunction of the OLine. The dysfunction of the offense. The dysfunction of the team. He ain't coming somewhere if he doesn't feel he can eventually get that team to a Super Bowl. Worth both firsts IMO.
I would low ball them first by offering this year's #33 - still a high pick. If they baulk at that, then you say Okay, We offer #12. If they still don't budge, you offer #75 into the mix as well. After that, if they still aren't biting, you make noises like you're bailing out and see if that brings them around.
If not, you go to your next best option for HC.

I could get on board with that if you can get a Anderson & Bresee or a Carter & Wilson in the first and shore up offensive skill positions in the 2nd & 3rd
Agree.
We definitely need some WR help and a RG.
Scenario:- Cooks leaves - then what? Sure, bring a vet in, but you still need another potential weapon to help. I remember those brief moments when Will Fuller was able to get on the field with Nuk - our offense suddenly became dangerous.

What if Sean Payton does not think a rebuild has to be as long as we do?

What if his plan is to bring in Carr after he's cut; trade #2 to Lions for 2 firsts and 2 seconds; trade Cooks for a 2 and a 4; draft Will Levis and go to work preparing to go deep in playoffs in 2024?
Badda Bing bada boom.

I find it impossible to pick from the guys who have not been head coach because we have not seen their leadership and we don't get to talk to them. I do lean for a young offensive minded guy who has strong leadership, teaching, and communication skills, well and is good at football x's and o's which I hope is a given. These types should be able to develop players, attract players as well as coaches. I would be ok with Gannon if the OC/DC combo I heard comes with. If Ryans wants Lynn, I am out. No way that shows a good choice of leader for your offense when he sees all the Shanny guys around. I just don't "feel" SP as the guy, I cannot really explain it, but does not seem a fit and does not seem hungry and ready to die on the hill for the right reasons. So Shane, Johnson, Gannon seem my current order, but I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for the interviews and the part where NC has to leave the room for full transparency questions

Reactions: JB
I don’t think it’ll happen. Why would Detroit do it? Why would we do it? I don’t see the benefit for either party.

Reactions: JB
Agree.
We definitely need some WR help and a RG.
Scenario:- Cooks leaves - then what? Sure, bring a vet in, but you still need another potential weapon to help. I remember those brief moments when Will Fuller was able to get on the field with Nuk - our offense suddenly became dangerous.
We need to bring in some competition at right guard but I don’t think we need an outright replacement. AJ Cann was decent this year. Not great and could definitely be upgraded but center needs to be the priority. And at left guard new coaching staff and a full healthy offseason will hopefully help Green take a step forward

You have proof of this.

You're going to be disappointed.

We need to bring in some competition at right guard but I don’t think we need an outright replacement. AJ Cann was decent this year. Not great and could definitely be upgraded but center needs to be the priority. And at left guard new coaching staff and a full healthy offseason will hopefully help Green take a step forward
I might be mistaken but I thought Cann was RT?

You have proof of this.

You're going to be disappointed.

If anyone’s listening should let those of us who can’t listen in know if they say interesting :)

most interesting thing so far has been that they said that the new PR Director has challenged him to put himself out there more…To show people who he really is and what this team and winning means to him……& that they are listening to fans…

but Hannah’s role is being crystalized for me. . If I remember, i think Cal has a real issue speaking publicly…like real anxiety; doesn’t do well speaking off the cuff. She seems to be more of his caretaker in that regard; Stepping in at times to help him finish thoughts. Kinda like that movie the king’s speech….only its not stuttering he’s trying to overcome; its piblic speaking anxiety.

Last edited:
They keep asking them why any HC candidate should take this job after the last 2 coaches got fired after 1 year.

Both keep pointing to the draft picks coming, cap space and the fact that they’re sorta locked in to keep the next coach for a while b/c of firing the last 2 within a year…”safest job in the league” according to them b/c of that. Didn’t like where the team was & they had to make the change.

I was really impressed with Cal & Hannah. They sound like good people. Cal is not what a lot here and in media portray him to be. He sounded intelligent and thoughtful and Hannah is his partner and support group. He knows his bbq and Whataburger is the go to fast food.

I was really impressed with Cal & Hannah. They sound like good people. Cal is not what a lot here and in media portray him to be. He sounded intelligent and thoughtful and Hannah is his partner and support group. He knows his bbq and Whataburger is the go to fast food.

Definitely..sounds like he’s just a guy learning how to be the face of the organization/public figure.

Back