Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Ben Johnson

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ejiro Evero

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I was really impressed with Cal & Hannah. They sound like good people. Cal is not what a lot here and in media portray him to be. He sounded intelligent and thoughtful and Hannah is his partner and support group. He knows his bbq and Whataburger is the go to fast food.
Very off topic but Whata is just no good anymore. I used to go once a week and now I think it’s been 4-5 months

I know "some of us get it quicker than others," but 20 plus years?

he wasnt the face before, his dad was. He worked behind the scenes. Very different animal when people are looking to you to make the calls…let alone a whole city……& if those calls suck, you’re getting put on blast by the local media…people who don’t really know you and will rake you over the coals for the sake of clicks and ratings…people who also sway fans.

i think we know why Rick Smith & Easterby were kept around so long. For whatever you & I may think about that, they were trusted. Obviously we know Cal & Rick were personally close…& im sure Easterby was on some level too. So In the role Cal was thrust into, you need people around you trust. Its not enough for it to be just “football people” like us on the outside keep saying b/c as Hannah alluded to it in the interview, those guys have agendas too & her role with Cal is to be someone to him who he can trust to tell him the truth without any bias..Something that may have been missing since Rick Smith resigned. unfortunately for him, it appears it was trial and error with BoB and Easterby and he got burned.

Curious now that Robert McNair has passed on, why would Janice, Hannah and Cal care what kind of boardroom they have as long as the money keeps pouring in?

Kraft gets along with Belichick.

I would Think that Janice wants public Opinion about her husband's legacy to be positive rather than what it is now Regardless of who gets it there.

Obviously I don't know the true answer, but I can surmise it. I run a company with my folks and we lost my mom last year. She was the heart and soul of our company. My dad, brother, and I are still running it, and while we see things that could change, we have yet to change any of our operational procedures.

The reason is it is what we know and what my dad is comfortable with right now. It might change in the future, but there is something emotionally connected to changing basic foundations that were put in place by someone like Cal's dad or my mom.

That's all I got, so it's as possible as any other option I suppose.

What if Sean Payton does not think a rebuild has to be as long as we do?

What if his plan is to bring in Carr after he's cut; trade #2 to Lions for 2 firsts and 2 seconds; trade Cooks for a 2 and a 4; draft Will Levis and go to work preparing to go deep in playoffs in 2024?

By any metric and according to literally every NFL expert, the Texans roster is ranked dead last in terms of talent.

So I'd have to question Payton' sanity if he truly believed this team is not a longer term rebuild, and I figure they'd have to leave the roof of NRG open all the time in order to fit his ego into the building. lol ;)

I was really impressed with Cal & Hannah. They sound like good people. Cal is not what a lot here and in media portray him to be. He sounded intelligent and thoughtful and Hannah is his partner and support group. He knows his bbq and Whataburger is the go to fast food.

I've never thought bad about them personally. Everyone that I've talked to that knows them agrees that they are good folks and mean well.

My take is always and only about them as NFL owners. And in that regard, the proof is in the pudding. I'm not assuming anything until they earn trust and respect by consistently making good decisions and putting out a winning product.

That said, Caserio and Hannah might be the team we need around Cal, both to help guide his decisions, as well as keep any more Easterby-type figures from getting close enough to mesmerize him with BS. lol

That said, Caserio and Hannah might be the team we need around Cal, both to help guide his decisions, as well as keep any more Easterby-type figures from getting close enough to mesmerize him with BS. lol
This cannot be stated strongly enough. Cal seems to be a very friendly (and thus gullible) person that get's taken advantage of by the unscrupulous

he wasnt the face before, his dad was. He worked behind the scenes. Very different animal when people are looking to you to make the calls…let alone a whole city……& if those calls suck, you’re getting put on blast by the local media…people who don’t really know you and will rake you over the coals for the sake of clicks and ratings…people who also sway fans.

i think we know why Rick Smith & Easterby were kept around so long. For whatever you & I may think about that, they were trusted. Obviously we know Cal & Rick were personally close…& im sure Easterby was on some level too. So In the role Cal was thrust into, you need people around you trust. Its not enough for it to be just “football people” like us on the outside keep saying b/c as Hannah alluded to it in the interview, those guys have agendas too & her role with Cal is to be someone to him who he can trust to tell him the truth without any bias..Something that may have been missing since Rick Smith resigned. unfortunately for him, it appears it was trial and error with BoB and Easterby and he got burned.

This is very good. My only follow-up concern would, why wasn't Cal being "trained" to take over that role during that time? To me it is obvious that the plan all along was to have Cal take over once that time came. Easy enough for me to say, but Cal should have been given more opportunity to lead, develop, etc. where the transition should have been smoother.

I doubt the Mc Nairs will forget that he sued them.
The McNairs asked to interview Ryans.
Is this Reasonable?
No.
Let me clarify as I reread my post and it is confusing. Goff would be a pick up and we would trade 1.2 to the lions for 2 round ones and 2 round twos so they could pick their quarterback. Reduces their concern Texans would listen to other team proposals for #2.
Still no.

Whataburger... even at its worst is better than the arches.... or is it the arks? I can never remember which is McDowells and which is McDonald's.

But yeah... homemade still wins out.

Last edited:
I know "some of us get it quicker than others," but 20 plus years?
20 years working at a place or even being in high administration does not necessarily prepare somebody to be the face of an organization; especially an NFL team where you have to stand in front of camera facing tens of thousands if not more people watching.

Speaking in public is one of the most difficult Things a person can do and it's often a phobia for some.

This is very good. My only follow-up concern would, why wasn't Cal being "trained" to take over that role during that time? To me it is obvious that the plan all along was to have Cal take over once that time came. Easy enough for me to say, but Cal should have been given more opportunity to lead, develop, etc. where the transition should have been smoother.
Perhaps the same reason that Sonny corleone took over?

Or, maybe he has been trained and this is the results. Some folks just aren't cut out to lead and/or speak in public.

He’d be foolish not to.

Now if I were him I’d have a huge list of demands in order to take the job. My own Gm that I can trust. Control over my staff. Zero meddling in football operations.
Would you want to be in charge of field maintenance?

One of the Philly assistants both certified, polished, high ceiling, ascending coaches. Jonathan Gannon or Shane Steichen.

I would probably go with Gannon, although Steichen would be a great hire. Supposedly OC/DC Reich/Zimmer and QB coach Johnson would be coming to Kirby. Gannon has history with ST's coach Ross and I bet they keep McDaniels on staff. That's the start of a great staff. Gotta find an OL coach and fill out the defensive staff. I bet since Gannon is a defensive guy that Gannon and Zimmer can put together a really good defensive staff.

Last edited:
Just don't give up draft capital to get Payton. He is probably the best candidate, but we can't afford to give up what it will take to rebuild this team talent wise. The other guys are younger and talented, they could become the next Payton that we could benefit from for the next ten years.

And sign Carr?

We refer to David as, "he whose name should not be spoken" - or at least some version of that ,and I wonder, do the Carr's refer to us as "the team who should not be mentioned?"

I don't see Derek coming here.

Just don't give up draft capital to get Payton. He is probably the best candidate, but we can't afford to give up what it will take to rebuild this team talent wise. The other guys are younger and talented, they could become the next Payton that we could benefit from for the next ten years.

For pick 1-12 you could get Payton and that would be more of a franchise changer than anybody they could draft at 1-12.

I Do not advocate trading pick 12 for Payton however any player at that pic can be matched in round 2 in my opinion.

Some experience and proven past success would do wonders for this franchise.

If the Lovie Smith experiment would have improved our depth. This team has regressed big time. Experimenting on unproven coach could be disastrous.

Sean Payton is my Dude. Demeco second............ better than the other choice.

I think DeMeco Ryan's success can be attributed to the 49ers' players on their defense. Ryan's 49er defense is much like Lovie Smith's early success in Chicago. There is a high probability that Ryans could turn out to be another Lovie Smith. More important to me is what kind of an offensive mind is Ryans? Is he a WCO and ZBS guy like Shanahan? For me, that is more important than having success as DC with a roster of Pro Bowlers. Thought I would put this out here now to avoid any Monday Morning QB comments.

I think DeMeco Ryan's success can be attributed to the 49ers' players on their defense. Ryan's 49er defense is much like Lovie Smith's early success in Chicago. There is a high probability that Ryans could turn out to be another Lovie Smith. More important to me is what kind of an offensive mind is Ryans? Is he a WCO and ZBS guy like Shanahan? For me, that is more important than having success as DC with a roster of Pro Bowlers. Thought I would put this out here now to avoid any Monday Morning QB comments.

You are underestimating Demeco. This is the same lazy argument about Payton. Oh he had Brees. Nonsense. Dig deeper. Demeco is the real deal.

Lol 😂

No but I if I may butter you up - don’t know you personally but you are one of my favorite posters. Generally you are very astute with your observations, but on the subject of Mr. Ryans, I just happen to disagree. I think he’d be an amazing HC and he is my top choice. I think you are underselling him by a country mile.

My next two choices are the OC and DC for the Eagles. Either of those guys would also be a fantastic choice, but I would lean the OC as he has done wonders for Hurts and helped develop the Chargers QB too.

I may have said it before but my expectations are:

Even if the Texans chose correctly, they won't.

The hopeless optimist in me that refuses to die however is eager to see who they choose.

You are underestimating Demeco. This is the same lazy argument about Payton. Oh he had Brees. Nonsense. Dig deeper. Demeco is the real deal.

Show the digging you've done to make you think he's the real deal.

As I've said, he very well may be, but there's others that have more experience, have worked under different HCs so that they've seen more, AND are just as successful where they're currently at. DeMeco has been in the coaching game just 6 years and he's worked under 1 HC. Yeah, I don't need a list of all the successful HCs that had that amount of time or less. The Texans are not in a position to be taking risks here. They have to nail this. Under no circumstances is this going to be another one and done, so we'll have this next HC for a few years, good or not. So they have to nail this.

If Payton can turn this team around 180° and go over .500 next season would you do it?
Bonus question - which 1st round picks would do that for Texans?
There’s no guarantee he can do that.
I want Quentin Johnston at 1.12 to pair him with our shiny new QB (Young or Stroud or a bit less likely...Levis). No guarantees...but pretty fair chance he is there.

Even if he isn't there, Michael Mayor, Tyree Wilson, Jordan Addison, et al. are all good players that fit needs. Do you guys want to give up a player of this caliber for a coach?

Remember that while he won one SB back in 2009, he also went 7-9 in 3 straight years with Brees at the helm in more recent times. Yes, the Defense was the bigger issue, but I have a lot of questions about that. If he's THAT good, why is he 7-9 for 3 years with a HOF QB? He was also at the center of a scandal and had to sit out a year due to that. More questions.

Yes, he'd bring an aura and give this team a buzz it hasn't had in years, but at the end of the day I'm into nuts and bolts, rather than flash and drama. If he could be signed "clean", then no doubt I'm interested...but a #1 or multiple high picks? No.

I could be interested in more reasonable compensation. I'd give up one single #2 pick this year (#33) and maybe a #4th rd next year, but with a team that is in dire need of elite talent at multiple positions, I just can't get excited about the first-rounders in terms of compensation.

Give me Demeco, Ben Johnson, or Shane. These are my top 3 guys right now. Keep the draft picks, and let's roll.
serious question, what is it tha
Nick said that the media narrative about certain guys not being interested is bunk, and that he got a call from this person's agent saying that dude was pumped about the opportunity.

So, this narrative that Demeco isn't interested is garbage. There are 32 of these guys. The lawsuit aside, he has a great history here and lots of memories. The fans love him. Outside of Payton, this is the biggest splash move you can make, which has an appeal from the marketing side.

I don't have a major issue with Anthony Lynn as OC. First choice? Eh, probably not. But he is a well-seasoned OC with HC experience that could also potentially hold the title of asst HC for a first-timer like Ryans.

Sorry guys, but Ryans is my pick. He's the perfect selection for where we are and he will help put fannies in seats along with our brand spanking new shiny QB.
why? What is it about Demeco that makes you want him over these other guys? Winning football will put fannies in the seats. I wonder if he hadn’t played here would you still want him?

Infatuation? Lol

Giving a .an a fair chance to do his job? You better believe it. 2 yrs of cleanup and I don't care what their record is next yr as long as they have some difference making skill position players next year I will be happy.
GMs that know what they are doing have the plan to take out all of the garbage in year one. If this truly was a two-year plan then why fire Culley and waste $20 million? Two years of FUBARS, SNAFUS, Dumpster fires, and clown shows, and then expecting the Fustercluck to make a 180 at the strike of 2023 is an exercise in futility. It doesn't work that way.

Thank you. I just don’t get what the love for him is all about. He took over a loaded defense. What’s so special about what he’s done? I don’t give a rats arse about him playing here before.

Show the digging you've done to make you think he's the real deal.

As I've said, he very well may be, but there's others that have more experience, have worked under different HCs so that they've seen more, AND are just as successful where they're currently at. DeMeco has been in the coaching game just 6 years and he's worked under 1 HC. Yeah, I don't need a list of all the successful HCs that had that amount of time or less. The Texans are not in a position to be taking risks here. They have to nail this. Under no circumstances is this going to be another one and done, so we'll have this next HC for a few years, good or not. So they have to nail this.
DeMeco inherited a very good defense. Those players made Demeco, but Demeco did not make the defense.

Say that reminds me, how you guys think Robert Saleh is doing, see any "success" that carried over from being 49ers DC?
I would say Saleh was the architect behind the current 49ers defense. He came onboard with lil Shanny in 2017. And for sure it's carrying over with the Jets. They added Sauce and others to the defense that had a couple of good players already...2 (Sauce & Williams) 1st team All Pros and 1(Mosley) 2nd team All Pro in 2022.

I would say Saleh was the architect behind the current 49ers defense. He came onboard with lil Shanny in 2017.
And Saleh learned the defense from Pete Carroll. Who learned it from Monte Kiffen. Who learned it from Floyd Paters. Who learned it from Fritz Shurmur. And so on.

There's nothing original in the NFL. It's all derivative. It's how you can teach what you know during the week, then how you can implement it on Sunday.

Can you teach what you know? Can you lead? Can you outsmart the smartass coach across the field? That's your criteria for a head coach. Don't make this too complicated.

GMs that know what they are doing have the plan to take out all of the garbage in year one. If this truly was a two-year plan then why fire Culley and waste $20 million? Two years of FUBARS, SNAFUS, Dumpster fires, and clown shows, and then expecting the Fustercluck to make a 180 at the strike of 2023 is an exercise in futility. It doesn't work that way.

The coaches didn't really matter. This was about gathering talent in the draft and cap space. Both were accomplished. When Culley was hired as HC he was supposed to be there for 2 yrs. It didn't work out, no big deal. It's not my money that Cal has/had to pay Culley/Lovie. Lovie was a Cal snafu. This has always been a 2 yr cleanup. Now that that part is through, it's time to not only use the draft picks gotten from the Derrick trade, but it's also time for Cal to step up and add a few top tier FA's. Even if he has to overpay, he should bring in a run stopper like Tomlinson and he needs to find a LB to go with Harris and to a certain extent Cashman, unless you think Hansen is ready to take on more of a role. The guy that would make a big difference in this team is Bradbury. Getting an above avg veteran Center would make more of an impact on this team other than who thet new QB is and how well he plays. I would overpay for Bradbury before Tomlinson. Do you think Cal will spend the money to get these guys down on Kirby? The kinds of guys you sign in FA will be dependent on the new coaching staff. But they definitely need to improve in this area if they want to begin to take steps to get the fans back in the seats.

Like I said before next yrs record doesn't matter to me. Adding playmakers in both the draft and FA are all that matters to me.

If they want to draft a surer thing like Mayer at 1-12 it wouldn't bother me at all. Mayer is a 10 year starter in the league. I would rather take a chance on a guy with the highest WR ceiling in this draft with Hyatt.

Last edited:
Thank you. I just don’t get what the love for him is all about. He took over a loaded defense. What’s so special about what he’s done? I don’t give a rats arse about him playing here before.

His defense didn't look all that good today.

They had 1 bad quarter
Well, TBH I'm tired of seeing 3 qrts of play in a Texans jersey. Granted, once and awhile no big deal but not a trend I want to be considered acceptable bringing in a new HC

That's not to say I agree or disagree. Im just bored and playing devil's advocate is something to do until I havve to earn my paycheck again.:bunpan:

Back