Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Ben Johnson

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ejiro Evero

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
It's not like Payton will have to suit up. I like the idea of a young, fiery leader. The next McVay. But I like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Andy Reid, too. If you can tell me for a fact which of these half dozen OCs will be the next McVay or Shanny, I'm in. I can tell you for a fact that Sean Payton is Sean Payton.

Gotta piss on my corn flakes, huh?

I believe in what you said he adds credibility and leadership that this team desperately needs because of Cal and Hannah.

I worry if we do go with anyone else then there still will be meddling.

I just think his price is too high if it is multiple draft picks.

Payton would be a voice sorely needed in the Texan's offices, but I don't want to give up any draft picks for a coach.

Also, anybody got Payton's record without Brees under center handy?

Payton would be a voice sorely needed in the Texan's offices, but I don't want to give up any draft picks for a coach.

Also, anybody got Payton's record without Brees under center handy?
I don't see Hannah allowing any hire that could be perceived as a threat to Cal's authority.

I want Quentin Johnston at 1.12 to pair him with our shiny new QB (Young or Stroud or a bit less likely...Levis). No guarantees...but pretty fair chance he is there.

Even if he isn't there, Michael Mayor, Tyree Wilson, Jordan Addison, et al. are all good players that fit needs. Do you guys want to give up a player of this caliber for a coach?

Remember that while he won one SB back in 2009, he also went 7-9 in 3 straight years with Brees at the helm in more recent times. Yes, the Defense was the bigger issue, but I have a lot of questions about that. If he's THAT good, why is he 7-9 for 3 years with a HOF QB? He was also at the center of a scandal and had to sit out a year due to that. More questions.

Yes, he'd bring an aura and give this team a buzz it hasn't had in years, but at the end of the day I'm into nuts and bolts, rather than flash and drama. If he could be signed "clean", then no doubt I'm interested...but a #1 or multiple high picks? No.

I could be interested in more reasonable compensation. I'd give up one single #2 pick this year (#33) and maybe a #4th rd next year, but with a team that is in dire need of elite talent at multiple positions, I just can't get excited about the first-rounders in terms of compensation.

Give me Demeco, Ben Johnson, or Shane. These are my top 3 guys right now. Keep the draft picks, and let's roll.

Give me D Ryans all day every day. He would likely bring in an OC of the Shanahan tree. You pair that offensive mindset with Bryce Young, get the best WR (TCU) with pick 1.12 to go along with our RB juggernaut Dameon Pierce and our offense becomes immediately scary.

On the backside, Ryan's also should be able to take our defense to the next level.

Give me D Ryans all day every day. He would likely bring in an OC of the Shanahan tree. You pair that offensive mindset with Bryce Young, get the best WR (TCU) with pick 1.12 to go along with our RB juggernaut Dameon Pierce and our offense becomes immediately scary.

On the backside, Ryan's also should be able to take our defense to the next level.
Demeco wants no part of the Texans.

Other = Wes Phillips, there is no way I see Payton teaming up with Cal McNair. Not going to happen.

NFL is an Offensive Minded league. Cal needs to sign an offensive-minded genius. Vikings are 13 - 4, Kirk Cousins is playing at a Top 5 NFL QB level. Vikes have an explosive passing game.

Well, I'm thinking outside of conventional wisdom and the talking heads. Wes Phillips's offense and QB have performed at a higher level than anyone on the list and are being discussed. I want an offensive-minded genius. DCs are off my list.
Wes might be a genius, but I'm not sure how anyone would know that at this point. He doesn't even call the plays and sits in the booth during the games. This is actually Cousins worst year for passer rating. The passing yards are high because the pass attempts are 3rd most in the league -- Vikes run game is bottom 5. You might be right that he'll make a great head coach, but I'd like to see him have a little more experience then 1 season as an O coordinator where he doesn't even call plays on a team stacked with offensive talent.

Regarding Kafka, after watching several interviews, some on radio shows and some post game type, he comes across as an extremely nice guy. Maybe too nice.
I just don't get a strong "leader of men" vibe from him.

Although he seems to be really smart when it comes to the Xs and Os.
I wouldn't be unhappy with him if he's hired, but he's not my first choice for sure

Pass on Sean Payton. No coach that has one a Super Bowl has won two with two different team.

Add that with obstacle with a QB like Bryce Young everyone wants to take a chance on reduced the risk of success.

Then you are giving up picks?

To me I think it would make more sense to go focus the OCs from Kafka, Phillips, or Johnson. The clincher is who they can get on the staff.

I've come to the same conclusion about Payton. And what can you expect two years later if it doesn't magically improve? He'll quit and walk away. He's got nothing to prove at this point.

I'd rather see some young, aggressive coach that has a fire in his gut.

Bryce with Payton would actually be a good thing.

Payton is already on record recently that he would not use a high round on a physically small QB.

In addition, NFL history is against it. No HC has ever won two SBs with two different teams, and no physically small QB has ever achieved anything significant.

And when it comes to long odds X 2, I would not expect to curry favor from the football gods for a Houston franchise.

As I mentioned in another post, which #1 pick in this draft would impact this team more than SP?

I'm not a talent evaluator so I cannot give you an educated answer.

That said, the right QB and DE can make huge impacts for this franchise for many years to come.

There is no guarantee that SP will find success here. Plenty of SB coaches have tried at new teams and failed.

It's all a crap shoot. So based on that, I personally would rather have more high round talent and a young, hungry HC than SP.

2 yrs ago he had Winston playing well and almost made the playoffs.

MissedIt.jpg

#1 Sean Payton. A first round draft pick is a steal if he's willing to come here.
#2 Frank Reich. An experienced head coach will do better getting this team on track so Payton #1, or Reich #2.
#3 DeMeco Ryans. He's earned a shot at head coach so bring him back to Houston if #1 or #2 isn't available.

DeMeco would always be fighting for credibility with Cal and Hannah. I don’t know if either can look past him being a former player.

I think Sean Payton is going Dallas or Chargers.

I would go with the OC who doesn’t want to draft a QB this draft. If the OC is bringing a brilliant DC or loaded staff bring them on.

Go defense with the draft. Let the QB needy teams pick this year…

#1 Sean Payton. A first round draft pick is a steal if he's willing to come here.
#2 Frank Reich. An experienced head coach will do better getting this team on track so Payton #1, or Reich #2.
#3 DeMeco Ryans. He's earned a shot at head coach so bring him back to Houston if #1 or #2 isn't available.
I'm very interested in Mike Kafka as well. An offensive minded coach who has seen how a successful franchise (KC) operates and when he went to Giants, turned their fortunes around.
Plus we won't have to give up any draft picks to get him.

I've come to the same conclusion about Payton. And what can you expect two years later if it doesn't magically improve? He'll quit and walk away. He's got nothing to prove at this point.

I'd rather see some young, aggressive coach that has a fire in his gut.

Payton is already on record recently that he would not use a high round on a physically small QB.

In addition, NFL history is against it. No HC has ever won two SBs with two different teams, and no physically small QB has ever achieved anything significant.

And when it comes to long odds X 2, I would not expect to curry favor from the football gods for a Houston franchise.

I'm not a talent evaluator so I cannot give you an educated answer.

That said, the right QB and DE can make huge impacts for this franchise for many years to come.

There is no guarantee that SP will find success here. Plenty of SB coaches have tried at new teams and failed.

It's all a crap shoot. So based on that, I personally would rather have more high round talent and a young, hungry HC than SP.

View attachment 11448

I would normally agree with you on this, however if Payton was the main guy on Kirby, he would be able to end some of the dysfunction on Kirby. Kalfka/Gannon/Johnson etc... dont have the chops to do this. Well worth 1-12, IMHO.

I would normally agree with you on this, however if Payton was the main guy on Kirby, he would be able to end some of the dysfunction on Kirby. Kalfka/Gannon/Johnson etc... dont have the chops to do this. Well worth 1-12, IMHO.
Payton ends the dysfunction on Kirby. The disfunction of the OLine. The dysfunction of the offense. The dysfunction of the team. He ain't coming somewhere if he doesn't feel he can eventually get that team to a Super Bowl. Worth both firsts IMO.

I see where you are coming from, but. . .

Do you really think the McNairs will completely overhaul their front office from a consensus boardroom power structure to a one man show? I think they might have got their fill of a one man kingdom having so much power. That's ultimately what SP will require. His ego is potentially as big as O'Brien's. He's just got a much better resume.

By that measure, do you think SP will change his management style to conform to the consensus boardroom power structure that has been in place for 2+ decades?

In life, we learn early that square pegs do not fit in round holes. And this is my own perception of the differences between SP's known management style and what we know about the way things are on Kirby Drive.

I'm not getting my hopes up for SP, simply because I do not believe the McNairs would basically be changing the fundamental nature of how business is handled at NRG.

I voted Ben Johnson, but I wouldn't mind any of the guys on this list.

I'm not as sold on Payton, but I wouldn't be upset if we went with him and tried to change the history of SB winning coaches who go to a new team.

I think we're seeing a change in the Texans' organization. This looks and feels like a real GM searching for an HC, and I haven't gotten that feel the last 3 HC searches (that includes the search that landed us O'Brien which felt more like it was about publicity and finding a feel-good story than finding an actual up and coming coach.)

DeMeco would always be fighting for credibility with Cal and Hannah. I don’t know if either can look past him being a former player.

I think Sean Payton is going Dallas or Chargers.

I would go with the OC who doesn’t want to draft a QB this draft. If the OC is bringing a brilliant DC or loaded staff bring them on.

Go defense with the draft. Let the QB needy teams pick this year…
I've been hearing that DeMeco would bring Anthony Lynn to be his OC. Anthony Lynn was the OC in Detroit before Ben Johnson took over. Anthony Lynn was HC of the Chargers for 4 seasons, and was there for Herbert's first season. He was fired at the end of that season.

Do you really think the McNairs will completely overhaul their front office from a consensus boardroom power structure to a one man show?
I'm not getting my hopes up for SP, simply because I do not believe the McNairs would basically be changing the fundamental nature of how business is handled at NRG.
The Texans asked to interview Payton. It's not a rumor. It has to be something they've thought about for a while. Cal had to OK the request. It very well may have been his idea.

I think the McNairs are happiest when they're winning. Even if it's winning the AFC South. I don't think Cal wants the spotlight on himself. And it's been that way since the O'Brien firing.

Your argument has a lot of history on its side. I believe Bob McNair thought he knew enough football to be the main decision maker. I don't think Cal has that hubris. I think Cal wants to win. He wants NRG filled. He wants the media saying good things about the Texans. I think Cal wants Sean Payton.

The Texans asked to interview Payton. It's not a rumor. It has to be something they've thought about for a while. Cal had to OK the request. It very well may have been his idea.

I think the McNairs are happiest when they're winning. Even if it's winning the AFC South. I don't think Cal wants the spotlight on himself. And it's been that way since the O'Brien firing.

Your argument has a lot of history on its side. I believe Bob McNair thought he knew enough football to be the main decision maker. I don't think Cal has that hubris. I think Cal wants to win. He wants NRG filled. He wants the media saying good things about the Texans. I think Cal wants Sean Payton.

Good points. tbh, I'm playing a devil's advocate for contextual conversation, but also on a personal level not to get my hopes up. lol

I would not hate the hire in any sort of way. I'd embrace it and hope for the best.

I'm curious why SP would take the interview. This roster is ranked 32nd in the league, so it is not a franchise that is loaded with talent and ready to win. The Texans are a long term rebuild, just based on talent alone. The front office probably needs some rebuilding, too, considering the impact of O'Brien and Easterby the past several years.

For me, I can't figure out why SP would choose a rebuild over other teams that seem much closer to being ready. Money? The challenge? He's a sucker for red, white, & blue?

The only reason I could see SP wanting to come in here is pride.

Other coaches that have a Brady, Brees etc... will always have the asterisk by their legacy of *But they had a HOF QB. If one can create the HOF QB as well as other positions...out of nothing.... he then erases that asterisk and instead becomes the maker of greats.

Outside of that reasoning I cant see the draw to start from the almost absolute bottom..... unless they just throw more money at him than even a politician knows how to spend.

For me, I can't figure out why SP would choose a rebuild over other teams that seem much closer to being ready. Money? The challenge? He's a sucker for red, white, & blue?
Well, it's always about the money. It's pretty much a clean slate, other than Tunsil & Cooks. And it would be 100% Payton's baby. Win with the Texans, and you've punched your ticket to the HOF.

Look, Payton is taking a lot of these interviews for leverage against each other. I still expect him in Dallas. Maybe LA if McVay decides to take a break. But he is interviewing for the Texans job. As Lloyd Christmas once said:

R.ca147ad373ae7e0cd8a22d9d6c514d03

The only reason I could see SP wanting to come in here is pride.

Other coaches that have a Brady, Brees etc... will always have the asterisk by their legacy of *But they had a HOF QB. If one can create the HOF QB as well as other positions...out of nothing.... he then erases that asterisk and instead becomes the maker of greats.

Outside of that reasoning I cant see the draw to start from the almost absolute bottom..... unless they just throw more money at him than even a politician knows how to spend.
Did Payton and Belichick not make them HOF QBs? Brady was a 6th round pick. Brees had an 84.9 passer rating in San Diego. No asterisks needed.

I see where you are coming from, but. . .

Do you really think the McNairs will completely overhaul their front office from a consensus boardroom power structure to a one man show? I think they might have got their fill of a one man kingdom having so much power. That's ultimately what SP will require. His ego is potentially as big as O'Brien's. He's just got a much better resume.

By that measure, do you think SP will change his management style to conform to the consensus boardroom power structure that has been in place for 2+ decades?

In life, we learn early that square pegs do not fit in round holes. And this is my own perception of the differences between SP's known management style and what we know about the way things are on Kirby Drive.

Agreed

The very reasons you state are why I want SP to be the next HC/Run the franchise like he did in New Orleans.

I could get on board with that if you can get a Anderson & Bresee or a Carter & Wilson in the first and shore up offensive skill positions in the 2nd & 3rd

There's definitely a case to be made for going this way.

If they bring in Gannon/Reich etc... I could actually see this happening. I also would use 2-33/3-75/6th to try to move up for Hyatt and draft a center at 3-64. Then hopefully an OD type TE falls to 4-103. I could see one of Musgrave/Kinkaid/Stover/LaPorta falling that far.

On

So it's been reported, but I see no truth in it. Why wouldn't he be interested? Because fans are down on ownership? Because we had a turf issue when he played here? Because he doesn't want two 1st round picks to kick off his HC tenure?

Because he sued his employer.

That makes him unemployable, not that he would want to work for the McNair's after witnessing the clown show for 6 yrs 1st hand.

You're kidding yourself.

Back