Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go

Interesting prediction that the Texans sign Mercole Hardman and trade Brandon Cooks. The Cooks trade should be a foregone conclusion. Hopefully we can at least get a 2nd for him. I'd also like them to sign James Washington to see if he can tap his potential.

With Hardman (deep threat), Collins (posession), Metchie (sharp route runner), and Washington, (and I'd keep Moore because he's a scrapper and Rodgers because he had a decent showing), that's a lot of potential at the WR position and lessens the need to take a WR in the first round.

Texans signings tracker

Last edited by a moderator:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm hoping Caserio trades a 6th for Antonio Gibson. He's got a 1.2 mil non guaranteed contract and adding a RB in the 5th/6th rd.

Pass on Hardman. Hopefully Cooks can be packaged with pick 3-75 to move into the top 59.

Next year the WR hopefully looks like this. Johnston/Collins/Metchie/Rogers Moore.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Interesting prediction that the Texans sign Mercole Hardman and trade Brandon Cooks. The Cooks trade should be a foregone conclusion. Hopefully we can at least get a 2nd for him. I'd also like them to sign James Washington to see if he can tap his potential.

With Hardman (deep threat), Collins (posession), Metchie (sharp route runner), and Washington, (and I'd keep Moore because he's a scrapper and Rodgers because he had a decent showing), that's a lot of potential at the WR position and lessens the need to take a WR in the first round.
Hardman isn't producing with an all world qb, how could he produce here?

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
I'm not opposed to drafting a C, but there might be some decent options available in FA; Jake Brendel (SF) and Conner McGovern are both plug and play options. Anders Peat and Nate Davis could also shore up the other OG spot. An upgrade at TE would also be worth some FA coins, Schultz and Gesicki are probably pipe dreams.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm not opposed to drafting a C, but there might be some decent options available in FA; Jake Brendel (SF) and Conner McGovern are both plug and play options. Anders Peat and Nate Davis could also shore up the other OG spot. An upgrade at TE would also be worth some FA coins, Schultz and Gesicki are probably pipe dreams.
There are some terrific IOL in the class including at Center. John Schmidt, Sedrick Van Pran and Joe Tippmann are intriguing prospects. Check them out.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
There are some terrific IOL in the class including at Center. John Schmidt, Sedrick Van Pran and Joe Tippmann are intriguing prospects. Check them out.
No doubt, but for certain positions (like IOL) I'd rather "solve" the problem in FA. Freeing up draft picks for the positions that have a bit more of an impact if you hit in the mid to late rounds, edge rusher, LB, TE and WR immediately come to mind.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
No doubt, but for certain positions (like IOL) I'd rather "solve" the problem in FA. Freeing up draft picks for the positions that have a bit more of an impact if you hit in the mid to late rounds, edge rusher, LB, TE and WR immediately come to mind.
Yeah we will get a clearer picture of where they are headed after the first week of FA.
Still, I believe the smart thing to do in the draft is to get the more expensive skill positions with your prime picks and this is why QBs, CBs, LTs and Edge are so expensive as high quality Vets and in demand in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Draft to the strength of the draft.

Edge, TE,IOL, RB are the strengths of this draft. IMHO.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I don't see Cooks pulling a 2nd after the season he had and the contract he has. I'm not even sure he is tradable at all unless he agrees to a reasonable extension, and then maybe a 4th. Although a bit of a longshot, depending on who the coaching hire is...not ruling out a return in 23. I'd like to have a good vet in there to mentor a high-draft WR draft pick.

As far as FA, I will hold my powder. Need to see who the HC and asst's are before even thinking about that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't see Cooks pulling a 2nd after the season he had and the contract he has. I'm not even sure he is tradable at all unless he agrees to a reasonable extension, and then maybe a 4th. Although a bit of a longshot, depending on who the coaching hire is...not ruling out a return in 23. I'd like to have a good vet in there to mentor a high-draft WR draft pick.

As far as FA, I will hold my powder. Need to see who the HC and asst's are before even thinking about that.
If Caserio trades pick 4-103 and Cooks it should get you a 2nd.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't think Demeco is going to let him trade a 4th away, not even for a 2nd...

Cooks & Burkhead maybe.
For the right DT or lb I could see this happening.

For instance if Ryan's really likes Smith or Ika, or an edge like Carter in the 2nd, I could see it happening.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Except DeMeco Ryans himself was DROY and quickly became a straight up leader for the franchise.

People are attracted to play with greatness wherever it is.

I mean overall yes, offense is "more exciting" but it's our defense that really needs the improving. And defensive free agents will come to play with other defensive star prospects all the same.

In other words, who cares. Unproven is unproven until proven.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Would you AGMs offer Cleveland back their #74 pick plus a 6th for SS Ronnie Harrison? 🤔
Is he worth more or less?
What about Ethan Pocic C? He may be worth more

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Ronnie Harrison is a FA. As is Pocic. So, not giving the Browns anything.
Heh, forgot about that!
Those two should be worth going after.
These positions that can be filled with one guy would be nice to fill in FA and ease the pressure on the draft.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Warming up to the idea of signing WR Allen Lazard. If the Texans get an OC from the Shanny tree they will need big WRs that can block. Lazard is a larger more athletic version of Kevin Walter.

Question is, would that be worth the 10-12 million/year to get 7-800 yards receiving and finally run successful screen passes?

Would not mind this player if the Texans go all-in on running the ball this offseason.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Warming up to the idea of signing WR Allen Lazard. If the Texans get an OC from the Shanny tree they will need big WRs that can block. Lazard is a larger more athletic version of Kevin Walter.

Question is, would that be worth the 10-12 million/year to get 7-800 yards receiving and finally run successful screen passes?

Would not mind this player if the Texans go all-in on running the ball this offseason.
If you're lucky enough to be able to run the rock on a team, you take advantage of that every time.
This is why you try your darndest to create a running identity. If teams have to scheme their D for your running game, that opens up the passing game.

Porky

Hall of Fame
If I'm not mistaken, free agency comes before the draft. Let me check...

Yep, I was right. Free agency begins on March 15th. Day 1 of the draft is April 27th. So the Texans will not be able to entice free agents with a new rookie QB.
wrong. You better bet your ass that agents will be asking Nick if they plan to roll with Mills. If the answer is yes….click.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
If I'm not mistaken, free agency comes before the draft. Let me check...

Yep, I was right. Free agency begins on March 15th. Day 1 of the draft is April 27th. So the Texans will not be able to entice free agents with a new rookie QB.
When does the free agency end?

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Of course QB is vital and Texans do have two round 1 picks 12 more later. My concern with Mills whether you like his performance or believe after 2 years of playing if he's sticks around he starts and they don't draft a QB or get a veteran then who is the backup? If they draft a NFL rookie QB that they believe is in round 1-2 step up to Mills so be it if he's still here.
That presents a situation for Mills as starter for now and a drafted QB backup and may even start eventually later during the season. If they get a veteran QB same procedure. This imo would eliminate the high draft picks QBs and get one later in the rounds especially if Mills goes down in injury.

Basically my concern is to consider that just because Mills starts or gone who is going to be the backup? I see Mills stays and another 1-2 round QB drafted the 2 QBs should back each other. Just keep in mind the injury bug unexpectedly shows up and should also be part of the foreseen plan in selecting a QB.

Check FA according to the future QB and other needs and then look at the picture
Check for trades and deals and then look at the picture
Then check NFL draft
then UFDA check list
The picture will look more clearer for the Texans the fans this season and the future.

But yet I'm now more confused than ever simply because still I don't know lol

Houston Management

Last edited: