Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

I thought we really need to upgrade the DL and OL if we can. Top priority for FAs. Next up, I look at LBs and DBs. If anyone jumps out at the FO, try to sign them.

Draft: DL or QB with 1-2, with 1-12 trade around and get DL or Edge. Up next is WR and OL

If you're lucky enough to be able to run the rock on a team, you take advantage of that every time.
This is why you try your darndest to create a running identity. If teams have to scheme their D for your running game, that opens up the passing game.
DeMeco said the other day that he will stress the running game, he doesn’t want a QB that is a statue but one that can get outside the box and force the D to play 11 on 11 football and he likes screens but with the ability for a QB to check down and get the ball in the hands of creative playmakers.

Quick little thing to remember about free agency this year. See a lot of people online focus on our cap number this year. Take a look at the space we have compared to other teams next year. Only the Bears are ahead of us we have like 200mil available next year. Most contracts are a back loaded. We can do more in free agency than our 30-40 mil number this year suggests

Quick little thing to remember about free agency this year. See a lot of people online focus on our cap number this year. Take a look at the space we have compared to other teams next year. Only the Bears are ahead of us we have like 200mil available next year. Most contracts are a back loaded. We can do more in free agency than our 30-40 mil number this year suggests
Caserio has done a great job cleaning up the mess

Lets hope Ryans does a better job with the draft than Lovie did.

Some hiccups, but everyone makes mistakes. O'Brien's otoh, were outright blunders.
Can only be up from here I reckon.
Yeah my 2 big things have been

1.Cooks should have been traded. Apparently the Cowboys were offering a 2nd if we would pick up some of his salary. Absolutely should have jumped on that.

2. The first round picks from last year. If Stingley can stay healthy and keep playing well and Green can develop into a starter that’s great but right now it looks like a tough first round last year.

But the later rounds of his drafts have gone decently and he’s made some good free agent pickups so reasons for optimism

1.Cooks should have been traded. Apparently the Cowboys were offering a 2nd if we would pick up some of his salary. Absolutely should have jumped on that.

2. The first round picks from last year. If Stingley can stay healthy and keep playing well and Green can develop into a starter that’s great but right now it looks like a tough first round last year.

But the later rounds of his drafts have gone decently and he’s made some good free agent pickups so reasons for optimism
Green had a couple of mediocre games with rookie mistakes but generally looked okay - he will get better, especially with an upgrade at Center. Stingley also will come back - especially under coach Ryans. Bank it.

1. From what I heard, the Cowboys came in a little late, and the deal couldn't be worked out before the deadline hit.
2a. Hopefully Stingley will be put in a position to succeed from here on out. He wasn't in Lovies defense.
2b. Kenyon Green looked like a Rookie with potential in his first few games, but after his Pec/Shoulder injury (game 5?), he just didn't have the strength to deal with bull rushes from powerful DT's, since he was pretty much only had one arm. Instead of letting him sit and recover, the Texans kept playing him. Probably because even injured, he was still better than the other options. With a full offseason, he should be fully healed, and be able to increase his strength. Instead of getting ready for an NFL season, most college players are trying to train for the combine. This offseason, Kenyon will be training to build his Strength, and improve his skills.

Last edited:

Cooks was a bad screwup

Caserio wasn't at fault for the Stingley pick. Lovie was promised the 1st pick, which is why he went to both the Stingley/Sauce pro days. With this said, Caserio still should have told Lovie that while true he didn't know Lovie's defense, he wasn't picking a player with Stingley's injury history. What I wonder is did the Texans medical staff sign off on the Stingley pick?

Green had a couple of mediocre games with rookie mistakes but generally looked okay - he will get better, especially with an upgrade at Center. Stingley also will come back - especially under coach Ryans. Bank it.
Hopefully Green's pec has healed.

I'm not so sure about Stingley staying healthy.

Cooks was a bad screwup

Caserio wasn't at fault for the Stingley pick. Lovie was promised the 1st pick, which is why he went to both the Stingley/Sauce pro days. With this said, Caserio still should have told Lovie that while true he didn't know Lovie's defense, he wasn't picking a player with Stingley's injury history. What I wonder is did the Texans medical staff sign off on the Stingley pick?

"Lovie was promised the first pick".
Where do you get this information that literally nobody else has, to my knowledge?

1. From what I heard, the Cowboys came in a little late, and the deal couldn't be worked out before the deadline hit.
2a. Hopefully Stingley will be put in a position to succeed from here on out. He wasn't in Lovies defense.
2b. Kenyon Green looked like a Rookie with potential in his first few games, but after his Pec/Shoulder injury (game 5?), he just didn't have the strength to deal with bull rushes from powerful DT's, since he was pretty much only had one arm. Instead of letting him sit and recover, the Texans kept playing him. Probably because even injured, he was still better than the other options. With a full offseason, he should be fully healed, and be able to increase his strength. Instead of getting ready for an NFL season, most college players are trying to train for the combine. This offseason, Kenyon will be training to build his Strength, and improve his skills.
I’m still very positive about the futures of Stingley and Green no doubt. I thought Stingley played well especially given he was playing out of his comfort zone. I still just worry about injuries but really there’s nothing to talk about there but wait and see.

As for Green I did hear someone else mention the same thing about his pec injury and his performances afterwards so that’s good. Even without knowing that I know he didn’t get a full off season and I’m not gonna write anyone off after a bad rookie season. Especially given how bad I think the coaching was last season. Hopefully a full healthy offseason, a decent center next to him, a year of experience, and better coaching shows some improvement next year.

DeMeco said the other day that he will stress the running game, he doesn’t want a QB that is a statue but one that can get outside the box and force the D to play 11 on 11 football and he likes screens but with the ability for a QB to check down and get the ball in the hands of creative playmakers.

You must of forgotten about Mills blazing speed this last season....

"Lovie was promised the first pick".
Where do you get this information that literally nobody else has, to my knowledge?

I was told this by a guy that's friends with a minority owner. He told me the same promise was made to Phillips when he was hired as DC. He picked Watt.

Why do you think Lovie went and worked out both Sauce/Stingley and Caserio didn't?

What you think of Zach Allen of Arizona? He won't cost a arm and a leg, but he fits the age and production profile. He's a riser on the dl and you can pair him with Collins and another young dl player from the draft.

Solid ascending player with some upside left.

Question for you, would you rather spend a middle/late 2nd after trading up for Mazi Smith or sign Zach Allen in FA. There were a couple of good looking IOL in the East/West game. Mustipher and a young guy from a small school that I hadn't heard of that looked really good. (Martin I think was his name) Would you rather take a chance on a guy like these guys or sign Allen?

I'm all for signing guys like Allen, but I really want to sign a vet center if Schmitz/Mauch isn't the pick at 32.

Question for you, would you rather spend a middle/late 2nd after trading up for Mazi Smith or sign Zach Allen in FA. There were a couple of good looking IOL in the East/West game. Mustipher and a young guy from a small school that I hadn't heard of that looked really good. (Martin I think was his name) Would you rather take a chance on a guy like these guys or sign Allen?

I'm all for signing guys like Allen, but I really want to sign a vet center if Schmitz/Mauch isn't the pick at 32.
The problem is, you would have to sign Allen before the draft, and at that time, you don't know if you'd be able to get Mazi. I like Mazi, and think his upside is probably the highest of any of the DT's in this draft, with maybe the exception of Jalen Carter. I'd love to have Jalen Carter and Mazi Smith side by side on the Texans DLine for the next 10 years or so.

The problem is, you would have to sign Allen before the draft, and at that time, you don't know if you'd be able to get Mazi. I like Mazi, and think his upside is probably the highest of any of the DT's in this draft, with maybe the exception of Jalen Carter. I'd love to have Jalen Carter and Mazi Smith side by side on the Texans DLine for the next 10 years or so.
Agreed, you don't know, but I believe in doing what it takes to get the guy I want. I would spend 2-32 on Smith if I had too. We will have a better idea of where he goes before the draft. After the combine I'm guessing you would have to spend 2-32 to get him and I would be ok with that. A Carter/Hyatt/Smith start of the draft would be a really good Start to the draft.

If the draft fell this way, I'm spending the money to get the best fa center I can find.

Will be disappointed if we aren’t aggressive in free agency. I think Nick knows his seat is going to be very toasty if we have another 4 win season so I expect we will be.
Give me a center, a DT, a linebacker, and maybe a guard

Mills

ArcticAshamedHarpseal-max-1mb.gif

Agreed, you don't know, but I believe in doing what it takes to get the guy I want. I would spend 2-32 on Smith if I had too. We will have a better idea of where he goes before the draft. After the combine I'm guessing you would have to spend 2-32 to get him and I would be ok with that. A Carter/Hyatt/Smith start of the draft would be a really good Start to the draft.

If the draft fell this way, I'm spending the money to get the best fa center I can find.
I'm with you except for Hyatt...unless the other guys I want are gone. With the 1.12, I would want WR Quentin Johnston, Edge Tyree Wilson, or Edge Myles Murphy. If they are all gone, I could settle for Hyatt.

Zach Allen is a dl from the Cardinals. He's like 25 or 26
Allen has taken advantage of mentorship from future first-ballot Hall of Famer J.J. Watt early in his career, and he took a big leap in 2022. Allen earned his first run-defense grade above 60.0 and first pass-rush grade above 70.0, with a career-best 35 quarterback pressures and 8.3% pressure rate.

LB GERMAINE PRATT, CINCINNATI BENGALS
Contract Projection: Three years, $24.75 million ($8.25M per year); $14.75 million total guaranteed
With both Bengals starting safeties in Jessie Bates III and Vonn Bell pending free agents, a big extension for wide receiver Tee Higgins likely in play and fellow off-ball linebacker Logan Wilson also eligible for an extension after the season, it’s possible Pratt hits the market even after a career year.
Pratt’s 90.1 coverage grade was the best mark in the NFL. He missed just two tackles in coverage and allowed only four explosive receptions. Pratt didn’t miss many tackles as a run defender, either, whiffing on just 5.9% of opportunities after three straight seasons above 10% to start his career. Last but certainly not least, Pratt also peaked at the right time, with his 90.1 overall grade since Week 8 the top mark among linebackers.

LB GERMAINE PRATT, CINCINNATI BENGALS
Contract Projection: Three years, $24.75 million ($8.25M per year); $14.75 million total guaranteed
With both Bengals starting safeties in Jessie Bates III and Vonn Bell pending free agents, a big extension for wide receiver Tee Higgins likely in play and fellow off-ball linebacker Logan Wilson also eligible for an extension after the season, it’s possible Pratt hits the market even after a career year.
Pratt’s 90.1 coverage grade was the best mark in the NFL. He missed just two tackles in coverage and allowed only four explosive receptions. Pratt didn’t miss many tackles as a run defender, either, whiffing on just 5.9% of opportunities after three straight seasons above 10% to start his career. Last but certainly not least, Pratt also peaked at the right time, with his 90.1 overall grade since Week 8 the top mark among linebackers.
You can get a good safety in the draft if you invest a 2nd round pick in one and he will be a lot cheaper.

Zach Allen is a dl from the Cardinals. He's like 25 or 26
Allen has taken advantage of mentorship from future first-ballot Hall of Famer J.J. Watt early in his career, and he took a big leap in 2022. Allen earned his first run-defense grade above 60.0 and first pass-rush grade above 70.0, with a career-best 35 quarterback pressures and 8.3% pressure rate.

Seems like he would pair up with Collins very well. They definitely need a run stopper. I can get on board with this guy he seems like an ascending player. Man I just read Ryans interviewed Matt Burke Cards DL coach for DC and they talked about Zach Allen's season last yr. 8 passes batted down and 19 QB hits. Sign me up for this guy. See my mind can be changed. LOL

Would be nice to put Edmunds and Ward at LB/S behind him. If they signed him and somehow Smith or Ika fell to the top of the 3rd signing Allen wouldn't stop me from drafting either one of these guys.

Last edited:
You can get a good safety in the draft if you invest a 2nd round pick in one and he will be a lot cheaper.
I think good safeties will be available round three and as you say cheaper.
However any solid FA allows us to utilize draft for other spots a huge benefit. If we can get Starting OC DT/nose and a right guard in free agency that would be excellent.

I think good safeties will be available round three and as you say cheaper.
However any solid FA allows us to utilize draft for other spots a huge benefit. If we can get Starting OC DT/nose and a right guard in free agency that would be excellent.

I know this yr will be Jimmy Ward's 32 yr old season but I think he's got 2 maybe 3 more good yrs left in him. He played nickel last yr and was very good. He knows Ryans defense and would be a great fit at his natural S position. Great in coverage and tackler. Veteran leader who knows what Ryans wants out of his secondary and can show the younger guys.

Back