Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

I know this yr will be Jimmy Ward's 32 yr old season but I think he's got 2 maybe 3 more good yrs left in him. He played nickel last yr and was very good. He knows Ryans defense and would be a great fit at his natural S position. Great in coverage and tackler. Veteran leader who knows what Ryans wants out of his secondary and can show the younger guys.

I don't think Jimmie wants to play nickel anymore.
Based on some of his comments he wants to move back to safety

There will be some good mid level free agents that can help the Texans at lb,guard,dl,and safety. Then they could use the draft at skill position and whatever else.

Sounds like plan.
Might be a good time to add a couple of LB's.

:coffee:

Seems like he would pair up with Collins very well. They definitely need a run stopper. I can get on board with this guy he seems like an ascending player. Man I just read Ryans interviewed Matt Burke Cards DL coach for DC and they talked about Zach Allen's season last yr. 8 passes batted down and 19 QB hits. Sign me up for this guy. See my mind can be changed. LOL

Would be nice to put Edmunds and Ward at LB/S behind him. If they signed him and somehow Smith or Ika fell to the top of the 3rd signing Allen wouldn't stop me from drafting either one of these guys.
I'm of the belief, you don't need to spend a high pick on a specialized run stuffer. Who was the 49ers run stuffer? What about Philly who gives up a pretty good amount of rush yds? I like Edmunds, but Pratt is a name that graded out great, but doesn't have the name, but has the game. I'm staying away from 32 yr old players if they're not elite. Even then, I still might stay away from guys like Jimmy Ward. 26, maybe 27 yr players in free agency is my focus.

Mike Gesicki is an interesting one. If Kliff Kingsbury were to be hired I think he’d be a perfect fit as a “big slot” WR option. I could easily see him hitting that 700 yard mark he hit in 2020/21 and maybe even more as a #2 option in the passing game.

But if Slowik or any other candidate who wants to establish the run comes aboard he’s a poor fit. Very scheme-specific player.

I'm of the belief, you don't need to spend a high pick on a specialized run stuffer. Who was the 49ers run stuffer? What about Philly who gives up a pretty good amount of rush yds? I like Edmunds, but Pratt is a name that graded out great, but doesn't have the name, but has the game. I'm staying away from 32 yr old players if they're not elite. Even then, I still might stay away from guys like Jimmy Ward. 26, maybe 27 yr players in free agency is my focus.
Edmunds and Daron Payne at a good price would eliminate run problem and also disrupt QB; saving draft picks for other starters or lower round depth.

Edmunds and Daron Payne at a good price would eliminate run problem and also disrupt QB; saving draft picks for other starters or lower round depth.

Payne is going to get paid. My Bears friend/fan says the Bears are going to go after Payne hard in FA.

Edmunds is my #1 FA target. Harris/Edmunds and draft pick like Henley in the 3rd and signing Zach Allen in FA would be game changing.

I'm hoping Caserio drafts Clark in the 5-6 th rd and he develops like Reader did. Dude has a lot of god given ability for such a huge man. I still think losing Reader was a bigger loss than trading Hopkins.

Payne is going to get paid. My Bears friend/fan says the Bears are going to go after Payne hard in FA.

Edmunds is my #1 FA target. Harris/Edmunds and draft pick like Henley in the 3rd and signing Zach Allen in FA would be game changing.

I'm hoping Caserio drafts Clark in the 5-6 th rd and he develops like Reader did. Dude has a lot of god given ability for such a huge man. I still think losing Reader was a bigger loss than trading Hopkins.

Texans have not had a viable run defense since Reader left. In hindsight he was a core player who needed to be retained ahead of the likes of Cunningham, Mercilus and Cobb who the previous GM/HC chose to extend instead…

I wonder if the Texans will be targeting Zach Allen with the addition of Matt Burke as DC? Ascending young player who’s best football is ahead of him mentored by JJ.

I see yall getting on that Zach Allen train now. I like everything about him, especially his motor and versitility at dt and de. Again, I don't think you have to spend a high pick on just a run stuffer guy unless he's of the Vita Vea ilk.

With Slowik added as OC we can have a decent idea of what types of players the team will be targeting in FA. One player I hope they target is Allen Lazard. Miscast as the #1 WR in GB this offseason, he’s a modern NFL Kevin Walter. Efficient WR 2 that is a plus blocker in the run game. He would compete with Nico Collins for WR2 and possibly even have them both in on run heavy packages where the team would have bigger bodies on the perimeter for blocking.

I see yall getting on that Zach Allen train now. I like everything about him, especially his motor and versitility at dt and de. Again, I don't think you have to spend a high pick on just a run stuffer guy unless he's of the Vita Vea ilk.

I remember the Texans were rumored to be interested in Logan Hall last draft. A similar inside/outside DL that all teams are interested in these days with multiple fronts exploiting mismatches.

Unlike Hall, Zach Allen is a polished ready-made DL who is entering his prime. An excellent person to target in FA.

With Slowik added as OC we can have a decent idea of what types of players the team will be targeting in FA. One player I hope they target is Allen Lazard. Miscast as the #1 WR in GB this offseason, he’s a modern NFL Kevin Walter. Efficient WR 2 that is a plus blocker in the run game. He would compete with Nico Collins for WR2 and possibly even have them both in on run heavy packages where the team would have bigger bodies on the perimeter for blocking.

I'd much rather have Texans era Kevin Walter than Nico Collins.

The Commanders will franchise tag Payne. They may be willing to trade Payne after, but he won’t be a straight FA pickup. A team will need to offer big money and good draft picks.

The Commanders will franchise tag Payne. They may be willing to trade Payne after, but he won’t be a straight FA pickup. A team will need to offer big money and good draft picks.
I would give up 1-12 for Payne.

With Chris Kiffin joining the coaching staff as LB coach one LB I am pretty confident the Texans will target in FA will be Azeez Al-Shaair to be the 3rd starting LB and compete for one of the top two spots when the team goes nickel.

Al-Shaair had his best season in college when Kiffin was his DC/LB coach. He was 1st team all C-USA leading the conference in tackles. And of course he overlapped with DeMeco as a successful UDFA.

Pretty sure bet he is a Texan this season.

With Chris Kiffin joining the coaching staff as LB coach one LB I am pretty confident the Texans will target in FA will be Azeez Al-Shaair to be the 3rd starting LB and compete for one of the top two spots when the team goes nickel.

Al-Shaair had his best season in college when Kiffin was his DC/LB coach. He was 1st team all C-USA leading the conference in tackles. And of course he overlapped with DeMeco as a successful UDFA.

Pretty sure bet he is a Texan this season.
A very good player

Put him with Sanders and the LB corps becomes a strength.

Cooks was a bad screwup

Caserio wasn't at fault for the Stingley pick. Lovie was promised the 1st pick, which is why he went to both the Stingley/Sauce pro days. With this said, Caserio still should have told Lovie that while true he didn't know Lovie's defense, he wasn't picking a player with Stingley's injury history. What I wonder is did the Texans medical staff sign off on the Stingley pick?

From what I have read, Lovie talked to Cal about Stingley and basically that was why Caserio couldn't do anything. He was already vetoed by Cal. As for the medical, apparently he checked out at the combine. True not yet 100% but that plus Cal was enough to get the ok to pick him.

I would like to add another good DB in both FAs and the draft because I don't think Stingley is going to be healthy for the full season.

I'm not opposed to drafting a C, but there might be some decent options available in FA; Jake Brendel (SF) and Conner McGovern are both plug and play options. Anders Peat and Nate Davis could also shore up the other OG spot. An upgrade at TE would also be worth some FA coins, Schultz and Gesicki are probably pipe dreams.
Shultz has butter fingers and Tunsil like penalties but much worse. Gesicki cant run block.

I don't see Cooks pulling a 2nd after the season he had and the contract he has. I'm not even sure he is tradable at all unless he agrees to a reasonable extension, and then maybe a 4th. Although a bit of a longshot, depending on who the coaching hire is...not ruling out a return in 23. I'd like to have a good vet in there to mentor a high-draft WR draft pick.

As far as FA, I will hold my powder. Need to see who the HC and asst's are before even thinking about that.
Trades are done as receiving teams think player will do better for them.

Anyone catch Caserio basically say on radio don’t expect much from free agency? Very dissapointing if I understood correctly

I am hoping that is simply misdirection.
That or tempering expectations. Maybe some fans think we have like Bears free agency money.

I don’t expect us to go on a free agent frenzy. I would be satisfied with bringing in starting caliber players at 2-3 positions where we likely had backups starting last year

That or tempering expectations. Maybe some fans think we have like Bears free agency money.

I don’t expect us to go on a free agent frenzy. I would be satisfied with bringing in starting caliber players at 2-3 positions where we likely had backups starting last year
We should know we can arrange FA contracts to utilize the 2024 cap which is huge. Several round 2 [trades] and 3 picks allows us to go get vets, if Caserio wants.

We should know we can arrange FA contracts to utilize the 2024 cap which is huge. Several round 2 [trades] and 3 picks allows us to go get vets, if Caserio wants.
Yeah space this year is a little tighter but with some slightly backloaded contracts should be able to utilize the insane cap space we have for next year. Would be criminal to sit tight this year so I’m hoping he’s just tempering expectations a bit fingers crossed

Trade 2 to Carolina 9 plus both round 2s and 2024 round 1. Hyatt and Hooker with Tui round 2. Dallas gets Cook for a two and no 4th.

Hargraves, Daron Payne, Tyree Wilson and Tuipulotu.

Tremaine edmunds MLB

I would try to find way to add Allen and run a 5 - 2
With two corners and JL Skinner opposite Pitre. That would eliminate run and Hughes and Skinner can handle TEs.

What do you predict Jacoby Brissett will fetch in FA this year? I think its safe to say he’ll be getting more than the roughly 5 million he got last season.

He may want a legitimate opportunity to be a starter but if he’s happy as a bridge QB i’d like to see the Texans make a run at him and provide legitimate camp competition for the shiny new rookie. And an actual training camp battle with Davis Mills who I expect Texans to retain because he is now an experienced backup on a rookie contract.

Brissett is an experienced QB who plays within the system and does not turn the ball over. He’s a durable Tyrod Taylor.

If the Texans can get him for 10 million/year i’d jump at the opportunity. DeMeco learned the hard way you can never have enough QBs and Brissett is one you can count on to not screw up.

What do you predict Jacoby Brissett will fetch in FA this year? I think its safe to say he’ll be getting more than the roughly 5 million he got last season.

He may want a legitimate opportunity to be a starter but if he’s happy as a bridge QB i’d like to see the Texans make a run at him and provide legitimate camp competition for the shiny new rookie. And an actual training camp battle with Davis Mills who I expect Texans to retain because he is now an experienced backup on a rookie contract.

Brissett is an experienced QB who plays within the system and does not turn the ball over. He’s a durable Tyrod Taylor.

If the Texans can get him for 10 million/year i’d jump at the opportunity. DeMeco learned the hard way you can never have enough QBs and Brissett is one you can count on to not screw up.

I wouldn't pay that much, when I could get a guy like Minshew for 5 mil or less.

Meyers is the top FA WR option available. Similar to Christian Kirk last offseason. Though it would likely mean him or Metchie play out of position since both are slot WRs. My trouble with the top WRs available this year is they all seem to be slot WR options (except Johnston out of TCU).

“The Texans will be in position to draft a rookie quarterback with the No. 2 pick this spring, and Meyers is a fit here as a nuanced route runner with a 6-foot-2 frame and strong hands to work the middle of the field,” Bowen added. “Last season in New England, Meyers caught 47 of his 67 targets on throws inside the numbers. He’s an intermediate option with outside flex, and he can stretch defenses on deep overs or crossers. And there’s also a history here: Houston general manager Nick Caserio spent 20 seasons with the Patriots before getting hired by the Texans.”

Last edited:
Meyers is the top FA WR option available. Similar to Christian Kirk last offseason. Though it would likely mean him or Metchie play out of position since both are slot WRs. My trouble with the top WRs available this year is they all seem to be slot WR options (except Johnston out of TCU).

“The Texans will be in position to draft a rookie quarterback with the No. 2 pick this spring, and Meyers is a fit here as a nuanced route runner with a 6-foot-2 frame and strong hands to work the middle of the field,” Bowen added. “Last season in New England, Meyers caught 47 of his 67 targets on throws inside the numbers. He’s an intermediate option with outside flex, and he can stretch defenses on deep overs or crossers. And there’s also a history here: Houston general manager Nick Caserio spent 20 seasons with the Patriots before getting hired by the Texans.”
There are a few WR's that can be true WR1. Quentin Johnston is the best, but there are some others that can be had later. I like Ole Miss WR Jonathan Mingo in the 3rd, and UVa WR Dontayvion Wicks in the 4th. Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry is intriguing, but I think he is rising up boards, and may go higher than I would take him.

Princeton WR Andrei Iosivas has the size to be a WR1, and has blazing speed, but I'm not sure about his hands. I'm thinking he has small hands since he is said to double catch a lot of balls. If his hands measure close to 10" or more, I'd feel better about him, but I believe his hands are going to measure about 8 1/2", which would give me pause.

If Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman or Iowa State WR Xavier Hutchinson runs faster in the 40 than the 4.5 that they are expected to run, I might consider them, but right now, I see them as another Nico Collins. However, that could be an upgrade since Nico has a hard time staying healthy. Maryland WR Dontay Demus Jr. is another one that will be in the 4.5 range, but he might be available in the 5th, and I'd definitely take him there.

Another WR I like is Stanford WR Elijah Higgins. He should be available late. At 6'-3" about 230, and 4.4 speed, he could be a good option, but I'd like to convert him to TE, and use him like we used Owen Daniels.

There are a few WR's that can be true WR1. Quentin Johnston is the best, but there are some others that can be had later. I like Ole Miss WR Jonathan Mingo in the 3rd, and UVa WR Dontayvion Wicks in the 4th. Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry is intriguing, but I think he is rising up boards, and may go higher than I would take him.

Princeton WR Andrei Iosivas has the size to be a WR1, and has blazing speed, but I'm not sure about his hands. I'm thinking he has small hands since he is said to double catch a lot of balls. If his hands measure close to 10" or more, I'd feel better about him, but I believe his hands are going to measure about 8 1/2", which would give me pause.

If Tennessee WR Cedric Tillman or Iowa State WR Xavier Hutchinson runs faster in the 40 than the 4.5 that they are expected to run, I might consider them, but right now, I see them as another Nico Collins. However, that could be an upgrade since Nico has a hard time staying healthy. Maryland WR Dontay Demus Jr. is another one that will be in the 4.5 range, but he might be available in the 5th, and I'd definitely take him there.

Another WR I like is Stanford WR Elijah Higgins. He should be available late. At 6'-3" about 230, and 4.4 speed, he could be a good option, but I'd like to convert him to TE, and use him like we used Owen Daniels.

You listed several big bodied X WR types. Which is fine. But I don’t agree that they are WR 1 options. Sure one may hit, but as prospects the only one worthy of 12 is MAYBE Johnston.

But if I had to choose between a WR or TE Mayer at 12, I am taking Mayer to be my slam dunk Kittle-esque TE. Maybe next year i’ll find that alpha WR.

You listed several big bodied X WR types. Which is fine. But I don’t agree that they are WR 1 options. Sure one may hit, but as prospects the only one worthy of 12 is MAYBE Johnston.

But if I had to choose between a WR or TE Mayer at 12, I am taking Mayer to be my slam dunk Kittle-esque TE. Maybe next year i’ll find that alpha WR.
I was basically agreeing with you. Quentin Johnston is the only WR I'd take at 1.12. That's why I said there are others that can be WR1, but they all have questions, so I wouldn't start looking at them until the 3rd. I might consider SMU WR Rashee Rice, and maybe Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry, in the 2nd.

I wouldn't consider Mayer, or any other TE, in the 1st round. TE isn't our biggest need, and like RB, I think good TE's can be found later in the draft. For example, Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick, and the guy you mentioned, Kittle, was a 5th round pick.

I like Kittle, but I think Stanford WR Elijah Higgins, can be for us what Kittle is for San Fran. Higgins is 1" shorter than Kittle, and 20 pounds lighter, but he's faster, and has the build to carry the extra weight. Even better, Higgins can be had in the 5th round.

I was basically agreeing with you. Quentin Johnston is the only WR I'd take at 1.12. That's why I said there are others that can be WR1, but they all have questions, so I wouldn't start looking at them until the 3rd. I might consider SMU WR Rashee Rice, and maybe Wake Forest WR A.T. Perry, in the 2nd.

I wouldn't consider Mayer, or any other TE, in the 1st round. TE isn't our biggest need, and like RB, I think good TE's can be found later in the draft. For example, Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick, and the guy you mentioned, Kittle, was a 5th round pick.

I like Kittle, but I think Stanford WR Elijah Higgins, can be for us what Kittle is for San Fran. Higgins is 1" shorter than Kittle, and 20 pounds lighter, but he's faster, and has the build to carry the extra weight. Even better, Higgins can be had in the 5th round.
I wouldn’t take rice anywhere, the dude cannot handle press coverage at all

Agree with this, but give me a guy like Sanders at 1-12 and Musgrave or Kincaid at 2-32.

I'm all for picking a guy like Dell, Iosivas/Scott at 3-73 and seeing if they can develop one of them.

Another guy I would be looking at in the 5th rd would be Charlie Jones WR Pirdue

Agree with this, but give me a guy like Sanders at 1-12 and Musgrave or Kincaid at 2-32.

I'm all for picking a guy like Dell, Iosivas/Scott at 3-73 and seeing if they can develop one of them.

Another guy I would be looking at in the 5th rd would be Charlie Jones WR Pirdue
I'm just not a Dell fan. From watching the games, he just never impressed me.

We've already had the discussion on Sanders, and also the TE's in the 1st round. Now, Purdue TE Payne Durham, I like him. I'd be happy with Durham or Higgins in the 5th or later.

I'll pass on Charlie Jones. I'll also pass on Scott. If I'm correct about the type of WR's the Texans will need for the new offensive scheme, Scott will be too small. I believe the Texans will be looking for bigger WR's that can be decent downfield blockers in the run game. That's also one of the big reasons why I'm looking at more big bodied WR's over the small guys like Hyatt, Addison, and JSN.

Back