Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 Free Agency

Been watching Wods for years - know exactly what he's all about... I understand the rationale, just underwhelmed... In WCO, you need outside WRs that cam burst and YAC. That is DEFINITELY not Woods, who is 100% possession type receiver. But if he brings some needed intangibles and leadership, I guess it makes sense.

Offseason has just started…

Woods is not the guy to get here. Older, was never fast and he's had ACL surgery and was hurt/unproductive last year. Damn WTF is this?

I wouldn't get to riled up over signing like this during this off season. Guys like that will probably be gone and forgotten by the time this team is actually ready to make deep play off runs. What he brings or doesn't bring on the field isn't all that relevant. This isn't going to affect the Texans ceiling next year.

But what it does do is add a solid vet to the WR room. If you are adding young WR's in the draft it's good to have guys who have been around the league a while who can try to help those guys go down the right path.

I wouldn't get to riled up over signing like this during this off season. Guys like that will probably be gone and forgotten by the time this team is actually ready to make deep play off runs. What he brings or doesn't bring on the field isn't all that relevant. This isn't going to affect the Texans ceiling next year.

But what it does do is add a solid vet to the WR room. If you are adding young WR's in the draft it's good to have guys who have been around the league a while who can try to help those guys go down the right path.
Ya, well said and agree. Just my initial hot take was 'underwhelmed'. Your right though, it's more of a mentor/bridge play. Woods won't be around when the team actually starts to compete.

Been watching Wods for years - know exactly what he's all about... I understand the rationale, just underwhelmed... In WCO, you need outside WRs that cam burst and YAC. That is DEFINITELY not Woods, who is 100% possession type receiver. Despite the Titans QB hodgepodge last season, he was still JAG on that team of inexperienced and unproven WR. But if he brings some needed intangibles and leadership, I guess it makes sense.
This offense will need WRs that are able blockers upfield and can sell the run on play action. Then find space.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Ya, well said and agree. Just my initial hot take was 'underwhelmed'. Your right though, it's more of a mentor/bridge play. Woods won't be around when the team actually starts to compete.
If they can draft Carter & Wilson/Anderson & sign Garoppolo they’ll be in the run for the division

Last edited:
Slay is under contract with the Eagles isn’t he? I thought I had heard he might be on the trade market. He is over 30 not sure exact age, but I am not giving up a high pick for a corner 30+. Maybe he has a home here? I’m not putting much stock into that tweet.

Slay is under contract with the Eagles isn’t he? I thought I had heard he might be on the trade market. He is over 30 not sure exact age, but I am not giving up a high pick for a corner 30+. Maybe he has a home here? I’m not putting much stock into that tweet.
Yes the Eagles are shopping him around

Looks like Garopollo's agent has priced his guy to sign. Teams can come up with that. The length and the guaranteed $$$? Those are the questions.

Hearing a lot of smoke about the Raiders regarding Jimmy. I could see that. They have connections going back to his NE days, and I think given their spot in the draft, they could convince themselves to sign Jimmy to be the guy (for a year or two) and draft more of a developmental guy either at 9, or perhaps later in the draft.

For Jimmy, that makes more sense. Here, we're drafting either Young or Stroud at 2. I'd put good money on that bet. Those guys are about as polished as you can be as a rookie. They may sit a few weeks to start the year off, but I would be shocked if they aren't the starter pretty early on. Signing Jimmy makes little sense in that case. So, it makes more sense to sign a JAG vet that knows how to be a good #2 as well as spot start and be able to get some things done - White, Minschew, Cooper Rush all make sense to me.

If the Texans can't reach a long term deal with Tunsil, they risk losing him in 2024 without compensation. But this seems like posturing, to me. There are few teams that can beat the Texans on a deal, and I don't see the Chiefs being one of them.
I’m okay losing him in ‘24 if we don’t want to pay him. We could potentially draft Paris Johnson to play RG and then shift him to LT after Tunsil leaves.

Hearing a lot of smoke about the Raiders regarding Jimmy. I could see that. They have connections going back to his NE days, and I think given their spot in the draft, they could convince themselves to sign Jimmy to be the guy (for a year or two) and draft more of a developmental guy either at 9, or perhaps later in the draft.

For Jimmy, that makes more sense. Here, we're drafting either Young or Stroud at 2. I'd put good money on that bet. Those guys are about as polished as you can be as a rookie. They may sit a few weeks to start the year off, but I would be shocked if they aren't the starter pretty early on. Signing Jimmy makes little sense in that case. So, it makes more sense to sign a JAG vet that knows how to be a good #2 as well as spot start and be able to get some things done - White, Minschew, Cooper Rush all make sense to me.
I'd go with Mills as #2. If they want to go with 3 qbs on the roster, I'd sign a vet for the minimum, but if they want to stash the 3rd qb on the ps, I draft a qb late.

No. That’s not what you need in a WCO. You need a WR you can depend on to be where he’s supposed be when he’s supposed to be there.

Everything else you might get out of a WR is a plus.
Is it OK if I take wide receivers who can get where there are supposed to be with burst and yards after catch?
🙃

Slay's salary is $17 million. And he wants an extension. He's good and he's been good for a very long time. How good will he be at age 32 and beyond? If the Texans were trying to win a Super Bowl this year, I'd say go for it. Instead, I'll pass and continue to build.
Last season allowed 55% targets to be caught. I wonder how many targets were misses that Slay had nothing to do with? I want more than 73% PFF for $ Slay wants.

Not a totally terrible deal for Garoppolo. Maybe he just wanted to be there.

Damn. I don't think Keenum is good enough to hold down the fort if we didn't go QB for #2 or #12.

What other FA QB are there gonna be?

I would go in a different direction re: Case, but he’s just a short term placeholder for Bryce or CJ…hopefully Bryce.

Yes now we can stop talking Jimmy G around these parts.
& we can start talking about Case Keenum

giphy.gif

I feel like Minshew and Keenum are the guy. I feel like if you wanted GM and got Keenum as consolation you should be feeling okay today.

Back