Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2022 draft eligible QBs - General Discussion

It's probably already been mentioned, but Rattlers fall from grace has been meteoric.
Glad it happened before we drafted him.
Looks like Matt Corral is the top of this QB class.
I wouldn't draft a QB in the first round this draft.
I would concentrate on the Oline and help out the guys we already have. No point in bringing another rookie into a bad situation.

WEEK 12 RESULTS:

PassingCompAttPctYdsY/ATDIntSackYdsLQBRat
Carson Strong274461.43518.041755153.8
Sam Hartman274362.83127.311734126.8
Brennan Armstrong364973.54879.931531173.1
Kenny Pickett264163.43408.342326155.5
Desmond Ridder172373.927411.93000217.0
Malik Willis143441.21624.82276488.8
Matt Corral273675.03269.12118163.8

WEEK 13 SCHEDULE:

Matt Coral
, QB Ole Miss @ Miss St. Thu, Nov 25, 6:30 PM CST on ESPN

Desmond Ridder,
QB Cincinnati @ East Carolina Fri, Nov 26, 2:30 PM CST on ABC

Sam Howell, QB North Carolina @ NC State Fri, Nov 26, 6:00 PM CST on ESPN

Sam Hartman, QB Wake Forest @ Boston College Sat, Nov 27, 11:00 AM CST on ESN2

Malik Willis, QB Liberty vs Army Sat, Nov 27, 11:00 AM CST on ESP+

Kenny Pickett, QB Pittsburgh @ Syracuse Sat, Nov 27, 6:30 PM CST on ACCN

Carson Strong, QB Nevada @ Colorado St. Sat, Nov 27, 8:00 PM CST on CBSS

Matt Coral really played a good game last night. I know I've said I didn't think Coral's game would transfer to the NFL. I am having second thoughts. In my mind there is no other QB in this class that does more to win the game than Matt Coral. At this point I would not be disappointed if the Texans drafted him. Of course, this is subject to change based on his Combine measurables. I mean if weighs in at 185 lbs I would say no thanks.

Matt Corral253375.82296.911112138.0

WEEK 13 RESULTS: (End of Season)

Matt Corral253375.82296.911112138.0
Desmond Ridder172860.730110.822214160.3
Grayson McCall162564.01767.011518128.3
Sam Howell142653.81475.711523106.3
Sam Hartman203262.52367.43135149.1
Malik Willis244652.23056.611535110.7
Brennan Armstrong294564.44059.011223142.9
Kenny Pickett283873.72095.541111149.4
Carson Strong172277.328813.140314247.2

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that unless there is a "sure fire can't miss" (unicorn) QB prospect in the 2022 draft, I would prefer to use draft capital everywhere else. We could acquire a veteran (i.e. Garoppolo) while continuing to groom Mills. Spending a high draft pick on a QB is high risk / high reward and we are not in position to miss on high draft picks.

That said, if we could get Malik Willis in the second or third, I would be all in.

We could acquire a veteran (i.e. Garoppolo)
Jimmy G has a $24 million salary in 2022. Trading draft picks for Garoppolo defeats the purpose of wasting draft capitol (not to mention cap space).

Does sound like something Caserio might do, though.

I'm under the impression that unless there is a "sure fire can't miss" (unicorn) QB prospect in the 2022 draft, I would prefer to use draft capital everywhere else. We could acquire a veteran (i.e. Garoppolo) while continuing to groom Mills. Spending a high draft pick on a QB is high risk / high reward and we are not in position to miss on high draft picks.

That said, if we could get Malik Willis in the second or third, I would be all in.

MW will probably shine in shorts and undies but he hasn’t done much this season to warrant RD1 or RD2 talk in my book.

Jimmy G has a $24 million salary in 2022. Trading draft picks for Garoppolo defeats the purpose of wasting draft capitol (not to mention cap space).

Actually, Garopollo's cap hit is $27M in 2022 which is exactly why SF would let him go cheap. By the way, Watson has a cap hit of $40M next year.

Actually, Garopollo's cap hit is $27M in 2022 which is exactly why SF would let him go cheap.
The cap hit of $27 million is for the Niners if they keep him. If they want to let him go cheap, they can cut him. No one wants to pay Garopollo that kind of money.

The cap hit of $27 million is for the Niners if they keep him. If they want to let him go cheap, they can cut him. No one wants to pay Garopollo that kind of money.
So the question is when will they cut him & how much he’ll sign for.

Has Trey Lance been getting much play?

So the question is when will they cut him & how much he’ll sign for.
The Niners won't keep Garoppolo, and they won't be able to trade that contract. I'm sure Garoppolo will sign for as much as he can get. In a league as devoid of QB talent as the NFL is at the moment, Jimmy G will have suitors. Just not at $24 million/year.

The Niners won't keep Garoppolo, and they won't be able to trade that contract. I'm sure Garoppolo will sign for as much as he can get. In a league as devoid of QB talent as the NFL is at the moment, Jimmy G will have suitors. Just not at $24 million/year.
Which brings us back to this...

I would prefer to use draft capital everywhere else. We could acquire a veteran (i.e. Garoppolo) while continuing to groom Mills.

Which brings us back to this...
Why would Garoppolo come to a team that's not ready to compete? Money? Why would Caserio spend $$$ on a vet QB that won't be around when the team is ready to compete? Doesn't make sense for this franchise at this point.

Reactions: JB

Trading say the Saints 3rd for Jimmy G would be something I would look at doing and continue to develop Mills. Plus add to the OL.

A mid 3rd is a fair price to pay for a top 15 type vet QB.

Trading say the Saints 3rd for Jimmy G would be something I would look at doing and continue to develop Mills. Plus add to the OL.

A mid 3rd is a fair price to pay for a top 15 type vet QB.
If the Texans were to upgrade their interior offensive line as I'd like; and were to draft the RB's I'm liking, in the 6th round, then I'd feel comfortable with Mills as our starter next year. It would be putting him in a learning situation similar to Mac Jones this year with NE.

Would Jimmy G be all right going to a team in a backup role? And should we pay that much for a.backup?

Why would Garoppolo come to a team that's not ready to compete? Money? Why would Caserio spend $$$ on a vet QB that won't be around when the team is ready to compete? Doesn't make sense for this franchise at this point.
Toro Bravo was just using Garoppolo as an example. I think that's what "i.e." means.

May be a dream of his. I wouldn't take Garoppolo if he offered to play for a bag of chips

If the Texans were to upgrade their interior offensive line as I'd like; and were to draft the RB's I'm liking, in the 6th round, then I'd feel comfortable with Mills as our starter next year. It would be putting him in a learning situation similar to Mac Jones this year with NE.

Would Jimmy G be all right going to a team in a backup role? And should we pay that much for a.backup?

I'm good with going with Mills next season after the IOL is improved too. I'm watching Salyer LT Georgia right now and if he's available late in the 2nd I would move up to get him using 3-66 and 4-98. Big strong dude playing LT but I think he would make a great LG. Has good feet too.

Doubtful Jimmy G would come to Kirby and not be a starter. I could actually see Jimmy G teaming up with Payton in New Orleans.

I'm good with going with Mills next season after the IOL is improved too. I'm watching Salyer LT Georgia right now and if he's available late in the 2nd I would move up to get him using 3-66 and 4-98. Big strong dude playing LT but I think he would make a great LG. Has good feet too.

Doubtful Jimmy G would come to Kirby and not be a starter. I could actually see Jimmy G teaming up with Payton in New Orleans.
What's his current playing weight? Hasn't he been up close to 350 in the past?

What's his current playing weight? Hasn't he been up close to 350 in the past?

I dont know, but I would guess between 335 and 350.

Tell you this if Caserio gets lucky and Kinnard falls to 2-34 and Salyer falls to 3-66, I can guarantee you the Texans will be able to run the ball next yr. Those are 2 huge guys that can really move and have an NFL mean streak. The other positive is they're SEC/NFL ready.

Add a RB like Charbonnet with the Saints pick and the offense will look alot better.

Or Caleb Williams. There’s lots of chatter he’s heading to USC. Which means Darts transferring too.
[/QU
  • Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Caleb Williams is not eligible until the 2024 NFL Draft. The league might wish they could make an exception for him. The NFL has a rule about college players and the NFL Draft. You aren’t allowed to enter the draft until you are three years removed from your high school graduating class.

Texans need to do whatever it is they need to do to put themselves in position to draft Bryce Young in 2022 2023.
He is 6'0" and 194lbs - but is only 20 y.o.
I guess he could conceivably stretch out a bit and put on some weight.
I remember all the criticism for Teddy B coming out of college too being underweight.
Keep in mind too he has the luxury of the best Oline in college football.

Last edited:
The Texans don't need a high powered QB, they need an offensive line to protect a QB high powered or not. A high powered QB on the Texans is like a Cadillac without wheels, great car but it ain't going nowhere.
A good Oline also has the added benefit of boosting the run game - also necessary for an outlet for the QB and a well balanced attack.

Read an article recently that said Kenny Pickett is the most accurate in this draft.
I think it was Pro Football talk.

Kenny Pickett has been my choice from the start of the season…..but, as much as I like KP, the Texans are not prepared for another QB investment.

The Texans primary focus on offense has to be OL and RB’s. If there’s any desire to change the fate of the Texans QB’s…..it must-must-must begin with the OL and finding new and young RB’s who can force defenses to respect the run. At the end of the day this would be the best protection for a young QB like Mills.

Toro Bravo was just using Garoppolo as an example. I think that's what "i.e." means.

May be a dream of his. I wouldn't take Garoppolo if he offered to play for a bag of chips
I'm just trying to look at serviceable veteran QB's that will be available at a fair market price next year. I have no love for Jimmy G. but he will be available and fits the mold. I don't see a franchise QB in the 2022 draft and we need better QB play than what we have now.

I don't see a franchise QB in the 2022 draft and we need better QB play than what we have now.
The state of QBing in the NFL is horrendous. Despite the rules giving the QB a tremendous advantage. That's why the Watson catastrophe is such a punch in the gut.

There are two groups of QBs that will be available next offseason. Those that you don't think can be the guy. And those you know can't be the guy. Garoppolo will be the cream of the "you know he can't be the guy" crop.

It's possible none of the prospects in this draft will be "The Guy". Maybe even likely. But, we don't know it for sure. When he was with the Broncos, Mike Shanahan once said he liked to take a QB in every draft. Not because he was sure the guy was going to be "The Guy". But it was worth taking a shot to find out. That's why I think the Texans need to draft another QB. Maybe not with the teams 1st pick. But with some pick. It's the lottery. You can't win if you don't play.

The Texans primary focus on offense has to be OL and RB’s. If there’s any desire to change the fate of the Texans QB’s…..it must-must-must begin with the OL and finding new and young RB’s who can force defenses to respect the run.
Agree, but we’re wasting time if we don’t get better coaches. Wasting time, wasting draft picks

The state of QBing in the NFL is horrendous. Despite the rules giving the QB a tremendous advantage. That's why the Watson catastrophe is such a punch in the gut.

There are two groups of QBs that will be available next offseason. Those that you don't think can be the guy. And those you know can't be the guy. Garoppolo will be the cream of the "you know he can't be the guy" crop.

It's possible none of the prospects in this draft will be "The Guy". Maybe even likely. But, we don't know it for sure. When he was with the Broncos, Mike Shanahan once said he liked to take a QB in every draft. Not because he was sure the guy was going to be "The Guy". But it was worth taking a shot to find out. That's why I think the Texans need to draft another QB. Maybe not with the teams 1st pick. But with some pick. It's the lottery. You can't win if you don't play.

I hope Caserio picks Bailey Zappe with one of those 6th Rd picks.

Back