Sat, Sep 4, 11:00 AM CDT
on ABC

J.T. Daniels, QB, Georgia @ Clemson

Sat, Sep 4, 6:30 PM CDT
on ABC

D'Eriq King QB, Miami vs Alabama

Sat, Sep 4, 2:30 PM CDT
on ABC

Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati vs Miami (OH)

Sat, Sep 4, 2:30 PM CDT
on ESP+

Carson Strong, QB, Nevada @ California

Sat, Sep 4, 9:30 PM CDT
on FS1

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty vs Campbell

Sat, Sep 4, 5:00 PM CDT
on ESP3

I am going with Sam Howell and rattler for now. Looking forward to watching a lot more college football this year and not just the quarterbacks. I was hoping that Davis Mills would avoid having to go quarterback with our first Pick but not certain of that at all anymore.

Haven't watched a ton of these guys. Just a couple-ish games of Rattler, Howell, Ridder, King, and Willis.

But early, early on my money's on Rattler. He's thus far the apparent more all-around polished product. Throwing, running, off-platform, processing, pocket-presence, composure. Silky smooth delivery both from the pocket and on the run. Never looks (no pun intended) rattled. Arm strength and accuracy to deliver all over the field.

He's certainly no finished product. He's got areas to improve for sure. And we've got a whole other season now to break those down. And we seemingly get surprises every year, so who knows who might jump out. But imo it's his race to lose at this point. As a team with much to gain it should be fun to watch play out.

I would guess a pocket passer like Kedon Slovis would be on Nick Caserio's list.

Kedon Slovis, QB, USC vs San Jose State

Sat, Sep 4, 4:00 PM CDT
on P12N

Matt Coral, QB, Ole Miss vs. Louisville

Mon, Sep 6, 7:00 PM CDT
on ESPN

It seems as though most of the top projected QB’s in for the 2022 NFL Draft seem to be listed at 6-1 and we all know that listed height may not be actual height. It might be safe to say that a lot of these guys could be sub 6 foot QB’s.

I’m just not sure that this class is going to have a true can’t miss QB But I’m sure the media will eventually find someone to hype up to “Franchise QB” by mid season. Unless that true can’t miss QB surfaces, I’d be a-okay with the Texans focusing on other positions and maybe focusing on finding a QB1 in 2023. That wouldn’t be a horrible move in my eyes.

Thor Nystrom's preseason 2022 NFL Draft QB rankings series concludes with QB1 Spencer Rattler (Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports)

Other than Rattler seems like all the rest need to improve vastly this year!

and half dozen
Howell struggled tonight. Hats off to VTech
I thought Howell played well but just lost to many good players from last years team. 7 sacks and a half dozen dropped passes didn't help his cause. NC does not have the WRs , RBs or OL they had last year.

I thought Howell played well but just lost to many good players from last years team. 7 sacks and a half dozen dropped passes didn't help his cause. NC does not have the WRs , RBs or OL they had last year.

Getting hit like that for a season could turn Howell into a David Carr type of shell-shocked QB before he even puts on a NFL uniform.

He has arm talent and on almost all his throws his receivers had a chance to make the catch. But he did make a couple of bad decisions when he was pressured or could find no one. Their OL is the same from last year NC 2021 Offensive Line. Virginia Tech defense played a helluva game and was probably still pissed about giving up almost 400 yds rushing to NC in the game last year.

He has arm talent and on almost all his throws his receivers had a chance to make the catch. But he did make a couple of bad decisions when he was pressured or could find no one. Their OL is the same from last year NC 2021 Offensive Line. Virginia Tech defense played a helluva game and was probably still pissed about giving up almost 400 yds rushing to NC in the game last year.
What was clear to me is NC has no real WR to speak of. Va Tech had the NC WRs/TEs covered with a blanket last night. Mac Brown cost them a chance to win the game with his poor clock management. Howell has shades of Drew Brees imo.

Today we get a look at the rest of the above. Can't wait!

Ratler shows his negative side today.

A couple of passes sailed high (one should have been picked off) simply because he's short; when he needs to throw over the linemen, the ball trajectory tends to elevate higher than it would if he had been 6-3, 6-4.

Another instance is at the goal line when he failed to jump/ stretch over the linemen.
I'm not sure I understand why they would want a small QB to try to jump over the top.

Not to mention the interception when he threw into double coverage here.

Note:
Tulane kept turning the ball over.
The Sooners had a big lead so they trotted out the backup QB early.

Ratler shows his negative side today.

A couple of passes sailed high (one should have been picked off) simply because he's short; when he needs to throw over the linemen, the ball trajectory tends to elevate higher than it would if he had been 6-3, 6-4.

Another instance is at the goal line when he failed to jump/ stretch over the linemen.
I'm not sure I understand why they would want a small QB to try to jump over the top.

Not to mention the interception when he threw into double coverage here.

Note:
Tulane kept turning the ball over.
The Sooners had a big lead so they trotted out the backup QB early.
To be honest I was expecting better form Spencer today, this was a disappointing performance to say the least.

Of course evaluation of a QB should be aware of all that but focus on the player is my goal.

What was clear to me is NC has no real WR to speak of. Va Tech had the NC WRs/TEs covered with a blanket last night. Mac Brown cost them a chance to win the game with his poor clock management. Howell has shades of Drew Brees imo.

Today we get a look at the rest of the above. Can't wait!
You are correct on Brown costing the team a victory IMO. Mucho info should be generated this year with some excitement as Texans have rounds one and two..

Desmond Ridder en fuego 9 for 10 158 yds. 3 TDs, QB rating 321.7 1st quarter
Yep 80% completion 4 TDs 1 INT is nothing to ignore. Historically I have not paid much attention to Cincinnati:
Ridder’s legs were a driving force behind his 2020 breakthrough. Cincy runs a lot of RPO concepts. Ridder is a good runner, with speed and a little bit of agility. He rushed for 703 yards and 12 TD on 8.8 YPC with sacks omitted.
I spoke with an NFL source in November who was concerned about Ridder’s NFL transition, calling Cincinnati's offense simplistic. Ridder had a torrid stretch to conclude the season. So I recently texted that person to ask: Has your opinion on Ridder changed? “He’s got good tools," came the response. "But he’s super inaccurate. He is deceptively not as athletic as he seems. Not first-round worthy. I’d take a shot [in the] mid-rounds

Yep 80% completion 4 TDs 1 INT is nothing to ignore. Historically I have not paid much attention to Cincinnati:

All Ridder has to do is keep delivering similar performances through GM7 and the media will take over from there…..RD1 material to Top5 pick in the draft. Just let it brew.

Keenum once threw for 534 yards and 9 TDs against Rice.
I didn't use that game to evaluate him, just saying.

Matt Corral QB Ole Miss is the last QB of interest plays tonight. Coral has been in the conversation and mentioned as a Heisman candidate.

Mon, Sep 6, 7:00 PM CDT
on ESPN

Last edited:
To be honest I was expecting better form Spencer today, this was a disappointing performance to say the least.

He's really frustrating, most of the time he makes great reads and is very accurate and worthy of the #1 pick in the draft. But a few times in most games he makes decisions that an UDFA would make. He's the kind of QB that's a coach killer and I had him ranked #2 on my QB board because I thought he would learn from his mistakes and show improvement. So far this hasn't happened.

Last edited:
He's really frustrating, most of the ime he makes great reads and is very accurate and orthy of the #1 pick in the draft. But a few times in most games he makes decisions that an UDFA would make. He's the kind of QB that's a coach killer and I had him ranked #2 on my QB board because I thought he would learn from his mistakes and show improvement. So far this hasn't happened.
He still looks like the guy that got benched in the Texas game last year.

Carson Strong may have the strongest arm but he has some accuracy issues and gimpy knee.

Kedon Slovis played well in his opening game.

Strong is accurate when protected.

He was under quite a bit of duress. The knee thing worries me.

He does have weapons though. Doubs is a guy I would like to see the Texans draft in the 3rd/4th rd. Their TE is solid too.

Strong did nothing that would make me move him from my QB #1 ranking.

He does have weapons though. Doubs is a guy I would like to see the Texans draft in the 3rd/4th rd. Their TE is solid too.

I don't really have a #1 guy or a list. I waiting to see how this all plays out. After this past weekend I had a passing thought that 2023 might be a better year for a QB.

I don't really have a #1 guy or a list. I waiting to see how this all plays out. After this past weekend I had a passing thought that 2023 might be a better year for a QB.

This isn't the yr to be drafting a QB 1-1 if we're being honest. This is why I hope the Texans win 4-5 games and are out of the 1-1 game.

You only want 1-1 when there's a Manning/Elway/Rodgers/Mahomes type talent. None of these current guys look like them. Strong has the most qualities of those guys. Strong arm and good decision making.

This isn't the yr to be drafting a QB 1-1 if we're being honest. This is why I hope the Texans win 4-5 games and are out of the 1-1 game.

You only want 1-1 when there's a Manning/Elway/Rodgers/Mahomes type talent. None of these current guys look like them. Strong has the most qualities of those guys. Strong arm and good decision making.
If we are lower than 1 we risk someone moving up before us. I’d be nervous that we wouldn’t get our first choice.

I

At least 2 more of his passes should have/could have been picked of in the last game.
Neither was under pressure.

I

At least 2 more of his passes should have/could have been picked of in the last game.
Neither was under pressure.

I didn't see the entire game, but the throw in the 2nd half that was almost picked, he was under pressure.

After seeing how many ints he threw last yr the ints aren't a concern for me.
Also when you've got a great arm ints are frequently dropped. Look at Mahomes/Favre/Elway/Marino etc....

I didn't see the entire game, but the throw in the 2nd half that was almost picked, he was under pressure.

After seeing how many ints he threw last yr the ints aren't a concern for me.
Also when you've got a great arm ints are frequently dropped. Look at Mahomes/Favre/Elway/Marino etc....
Nah.
At least 2 of his passes would have been picked off if those CBs were NFL players.

California is ranked 10th in the PAC 12 for a reason.

Nah.
At least 2 of his passes would have been picked off if those CBs were NFL players.

Do Mahomes passes always get picked off like that? Nope

You're speculating

BTW, how did you think Strong looked overall under pressure and how was his accuracy? Was Strong perfect? No, atleast not from what I saw in the 2nd half. Was he better than Howell/Rattler/Willis/Slovis? Yes, IMHO

Do Mahomes passes always get picked off like that? Nope

You're speculating

BTW, how did you think Strong looked overall under pressure and how was his accuracy? Was Strong perfect? No, atleast not from what I saw in the 2nd half. Was he better than Howell/Rattler/Willis/Slovis? Yes, IMHO
No, those passes were in both hands of the DBs.
NFL players; they were picks.

If you like to put it another way, passes that reach both hands of a DB is a bad pass.

All Ridder has to do is keep delivering similar performances through GM7 and the media will take over from there…..RD1 material to Top5 pick in the draft. Just let it brew.
As the review I linked said it is Ridder's 4th season and he needs to fix issues now; from one game 2021 perhaps he has. I will place him as a round four (#97)for now.

Here's a thought for 2021 Tyrod Taylor is healthy and plays well but team still loses and ends up drafting top1- 3. Taylor could be brought back on team friendly deal to allow Mills or another non round one QB pick to learn a year.

Just watched the first quarter of the game now.
The first USC drive stalled near the goal line due to:
1. A batted pass.
Concentrate on the RT.
He was immediately pushed back by the defenfer (with one arm), who was also able to reach his hand up to deflect the pass.
2. Slovis' first read was double-teamed, with a third guy coming over.
Slovis went to the second and third read but neither was open.
He ate the ball as the RT couldn't hold up too long. Nothing loss there.
USC settled for a FG.

The next drive ended with a TD pass.
10-0
The third drive ended when on 2nd and 5, Slovis completed a pass for a first down, but the receiver (may have been the TE - I can't remember) had the ball pried out of his arms when he tried to run with the ball).
Fumble. Turnover.
Slovis escaped pressure and made 3 plays with his arm in the first quarter.

Sure, but what do you get out of a beat down of a bad team?
Player moves (hip swivle/rotation); decision making; foot work; arm movement including release; eyes in check downs; play calling/changing (if allowed); control of huddle; relocating players such as running backs; play clock management...

Player moves (hip swivle/rotation); decision making; foot work; arm movement including release; eyes in check downs; play calling/changing (if allowed); control of huddle; relocating players such as running backs; play clock management...
Sure, but you can see all of that in the games he plays against better teams just the same, and more.

Way to soon for me to make this call. Corral has yet to play.

Last edited:
Hard to get a read on Corral in the system they're running. Everything is off an RPO. I do like his arm angles, the way he leads his WRs and throws them open.

Back