Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Schedule

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Like I said, we will never truly know. Could be Watson, could be BOB, could be situational, or a combination. It’s all theory and speculation. You just talk like it’s 100% on Watson.
You didn't answer the question? Progressed or regressed?

Could it possibly not be because of BOB but because DC's have caught up to DW4's game? Nah that would be an impossibility.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not saying that’s wrong but if you rebuild an entire team he needs more than ONE year to adjust to the rebuild and prove himself.
Let's see DJ's replaced Hyde. Hyde came in after camp and I would say there was very little adjustment period. With DJ being here for TC I dont see why the adjustment period wouldn't be easier for DW4.

If DW4 cant adjust to a really talented guy like Cooks after going thru a TC with him then there are other issues. Brady/Brees/Goff didn't seem to have any problems adjusting to Cooks who has played in 2 of the last 3 SB's.

Cooks isn't chopped liver.

RGV82

Random guy
Let's see DJ's replaced Hyde. Hyde came in after camp and I would say there was very little adjustment period. With DJ being here for TC I dont see why the adjustment period wouldn't be easier for DW4.

If DW4 cant adjust to a really talented guy like Cooks after going thru a TC with him then there are other issues. Brady/Brees/Goff didn't seem to have any problems adjusting to Cooks who has played in 2 of the last 3 SB's.

We will never mention Watson in the same sentence as Brady or Brees. Also, Goff had much better defence, WRs and RBs around him.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

You assume there will be a TC

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We will never mention Watson in the same sentence as Brady or Brees. Also, Goff had much better defence, WRs and RBs around him.
More excuses,

This has nothing to do with the defense.

I thought you were talking about DW4's ability to mesh with his receivers. This shouldn't be an issue.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It appears you make a lot of excuses too as to why it’s all on Watson. You always accuse everyone else of making excuses, yet you always have excuses on why it’s always Watson’s fault.
Can you please stay on topic?

Dont you think DW4 should be able to mesh with a WR of Cooks ability after having a whole TC together?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Awesome. I didn’t think you’d understand. Now, can you see how that applies to BO’b?
You dont like what BOB's done as GM?

Doesn't really matter. Some here seem to think what they think matters. It doesn't Cal's opinion is the only 1 that matters. BOB thinks he can win with DW4. I dont, guess what? There's nothing I can do about it, so I have to root for BOB/DW4 to be right if I'm going to continue to be a Texan fan.

RGV82

Random guy

Dont you think DW4 should be able to mesh with a WR of Cooks ability after having a whole TC together?
It’s funny how you tell other people to stay on topic when you always go off topic saying stuff like if Brees and Brady can do something then so should Watson. Yes, they “should” be able to mesh but the entire success of this team is not riding on their ability to mesh. I don’t see your point. Adjusting to a whole new running game with 2 receiving backs, other new receivers, and a new OC apparently calling the shots is also a huge factor that won’t just be “meshed” in TC, if there is one.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It’s funny how you tell other people to stay on topic when you always go off topic saying stuff like if Brees and Brady can do something then so should Watson. Yes, they “should” be able to mesh but the entire success of this team is not riding on their ability to mesh. I don’t see your point. Adjusting to a whole new running game with 2 receiving backs, other new receivers, and a new OC apparently calling the shots is also a huge factor that won’t just be “meshed” in TC, if there is one.
I was pointing out that other QB's have been able to mesh with Cooks quickly I notice how you left Goff out of your argument) I pointed out they were able to adjust to 2 new RB's last yr, there's only 1 new RB to adjust to this yr and if healthy he's a huge upgrade. I dont think adjusting to Cobb should be an issue. Dak adjusted well to Cobb and DW4 should be able to do the same.

Kelly/DW4 have worked together for 2-3 yrs. It's been reported that they have a good relationship and IF Kelly called the Atlanta game the obviously Kelly/DW4 are on the same page.

I just cant get over how posters want to go out of their was to make these excuses if DW4's not successful. It's like setting up a default argument for DW4.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What do you mean we will find out how good he is this year? He has an entire new offense and new players and "new" OC that he has to adjust to, and that he will not have much of a chance to build a rapport with in OTAs. Why are you basing this upcoming year on how good he is vs. previous years or upcoming years?

He’s had a very good productive career thus far.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was pointing out that other QB's have been able to mesh with Cooks quickly I notice how you left Goff out of your argument) I pointed out they were able to adjust to 2 new RB's last yr, there's only 1 new RB to adjust to this yr and if healthy he's a huge upgrade. I dont think adjusting to Cobb should be an issue. Dak adjusted well to Cobb and DW4 should be able to do the same.

Kelly/DW4 have worked together for 2-3 yrs. It's been reported that they have a good relationship and IF Kelly called the Atlanta game the obviously Kelly/DW4 are on the same page.

I just cant get over how posters want to go out of their was to make these excuses if DW4's not successful. It's like setting up a default argument for DW4.
What do you find funny about this post RVG?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Because if healthy he will have the best OL he's ever had and talent at all of the skill positions that can take it to the house at any time.

Looks like you're in the excuse business. They will have time for the receivers/DW4 to get on the same page during TC.
The OL is the same unit as last season. How did they suddenly become the most talented OL Watson has ever had? If either OT goes down, who’s the depth OT that keeps this OL at a “most talented OL” level?

I haven’t checked yet but when was the last time any of the Texans skill position players played a 16 game injury free season? Skill position depth is really solid at WR and TE but RB is very questionable from the starters to zip for depth

Your post made the assumption that Watson would have a healthy group of skill position players and OL for a season....therefore he would have no excuses for what.......

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The OL is the same unit as last season. How did they suddenly become the most talented OL Watson has ever had? If either OT goes down, who’s the depth OT that keeps this OL at a “most talented OL” level?

I haven’t checked yet but when was the last time any of the Texans skill position players played a 16 game injury free season? Skill position depth is very acceptable at WR and TE but RB is very questionable from the starters to zip for depth

Your post made the assumption that Watson would have a healthy group of skill position players for a season....therefore he would have no excuses foe what.......
The were coming into their own before Howard got hurt and they drafted Heck (Who needs some work but is talented.) to replace the putrid play of Clark. In short they have more depth along the OL.

They will probably pickup another Hyde type RB at the end of camp. The 49ers/Seahawks/Redskins etc... have a glut of RB's.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Please stay on topic, this is about Watson having to win a Super Bowl
2020 Schedule is/was the thread topic.
But for the sake of argument, I wonder what OB and Watson think of this schedule. Do you think this schedule is good enough to win a championship? Or is the schedule and its offense too confusing and bland to win a championship? This schedule has lots of flaws and warts. But don't all of the schedules? Biggest wart I see is 5 out of 7 on the road after the bye. That's gonna be tough. Not to mention those first four games. Those are really confusing. Confusing enough to make any WR's run the same route.

Mangler

Toro de España
The were coming into their own before Howard got hurt and they drafted Heck (Who needs some work but is talented.) to replace the putrid play of Clark. In short they have more depth along the OL.

They will probably pickup another Hyde type RB at the end of camp. The 49ers/Seahawks/Redskins etc... have a glut of RB's.
We may be set at OL, but I wonder if O’Brien has halted his pursuit of Warford? The only question marks are at RG, and C. If the offensive line picks up where it left off, it might not be so far fetched to think it could be a top 10 unit. Our running game should be pretty damn solid if it finally goes our way.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I actually agree with you, though some won’t believe that, in that this next season is not the one Watson should be judged on. Two factors not mentioned is the WR ability to learn the offense, even OB admits his scheme takes a season or two to learn, and also while athletes are least likely to die of the virus is has affected them in that they can’t perform the usual off season training they normally do.

The CBA prevents official practices and training prior to training camp but these guys are use to working out and improving themselves year round because they have been doing it since pee wee football. Now all of a sudden they were locked in with only their home gyms and Madden to practice with.

So no I don’t think they should judge Watson based on this year but the issue is they are going to have to. Whether they give him the big money, they will, or not has to be decided much sooner rather than later.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We may be set at OL, but I wonder if O’Brien has halted his pursuit of Warford? The only question marks are at RG, and C. If the offensive line picks up where it left off, it might not be so far fetched to think it could be a top 10 unit. Our running game should be pretty damn solid if it finally goes our way.
I'm hoping they add Warford.

If they dont I hope that money goes towards Ryan or if Earl Thomas gets cut I would spend the money on him.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hopefully they spend the $$$$ on Warford. He would be a huge addition.

I think Martin will do a decent job if surrounded by guys (Scharping/Warford) that dont need alot of help.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Please stay on topic, this is about Watson having to win a Super Bowl even though BO’b trades away his most dependable target for a bag of peanuts.
The WR corps (if healthy is better than it's ever been. It should be comforting that if WFV goes down again with Cooks/Cobb/Stills the offense shouldn't miss a beat.

Are you looking for more excuses for DW4? Trying to stay on topic?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why are you so concerned?
Because posters with his mind set have taken over the MB.

They really aren't interested in having a debate. I find it funny TK liked the post and TB responded with this post.

This is all about shutting down dissenting opinions when it comes to DW4.

He's used several different debating tactics, good thing is time will tell the truth regardless of the excuses.

OptimisticTexan

Hopefully they spend the $$$$ on Warford. He would be a huge addition.

I think Martin will do a decent job if surrounded by guys (Scharping/Warford) that don't need alot of help.
I think Martin has been the weakest link on the OL. He's routinely tossed around like a salad. In all honesty....I would keep Fulton and make him Center and shop Martin for whatever I could get from the former RD2 pick.

If healthy, this would be the starting OL I'd be most hopeful of in 2020:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton
RG- Warford
RT- Howard

2- veteran Pro Bowl'ers at LT and RG. This helps both Scharping and Howard. Fulton at center can cover this position solidly which truly frees up Scharping and Warford to focus on their jobs. Yeah, this OL could make a massive difference.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think Martin has been the weakest link on the OL. He's routinely tossed around like a salad. In all honesty....I would keep Fulton and make him Center and shopped Martin for whatever I could get from the former RD2 pick.

If healthy, this would be thestarting OL I'd be most hopeful of in 2020:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton
RG- Warford
RT- Howard

2- veteran Pro Bowl'ers at LT and RG. This helps both Scharping and Howard. Fulton at center can cover this position solidly truly freeing up Scharping and Warford to focus on their jobs. Yeah, this OL could make a massive difference.
I get that you dont like Martin, but after the new deal he signed, he's going to be here next yr, probably 2 more yrs. I look at Martin as an avg center.

OptimisticTexan

I get that you dont like Martin, but after the new deal he signed, he's going to be here next yr, probably 2 more yrs. I look at Martin as an avg center.
I fully understand Martin isn't going anywhere which is why I have my reservations in regards to the OL being substantially better than last season. As the old saying goes....but under this context: "You're only as strong as your weakest link".

As I 've mentioned in the past....Martin's size makes him a much better fit within a true ZBS versus OB's power scheme. Martin was also a RS pick so I'm a little miffed at OB's desire to hold onto him at all cost.

On a side note, was there anyone on this message board that cheeered loudly when Martin was extended for the time and money he got? My mind has slipped a few gears but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of members were pretty pissed.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
What do you mean we will find out how good he is this year? He has an entire new offense and new players and "new" OC that he has to adjust to, and that he will not have much of a chance to build a rapport with in OTAs. Why are you basing this upcoming year on how good he is vs. previous years or upcoming years?
Not saying that’s wrong but if you rebuild an entire team he needs more than ONE year to adjust to the rebuild and prove himself.

Its still the same system / playbook … just interpreted by a new face.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Do you think Matthew Stafford is good enough to win a Super Bowl? Talented enough?
Yes he is. Without a doubt he is.

Do I think he's capable of being the centerpiece that carries a team to a title - Absolutely Not.

Do I think he's capable of being a complimentary piece on a title winner - Yes.

Stafford is no Peyton Manning , Brees , Brady , Rodgers …. He's more Eli Manning.

With a little luck , the right team …..

RGV82

Random guy
Do I think he's capable of being the centerpiece that carries a team to a title - Absolutely Not.

Do I think he's capable of being a complimentary piece on a title winner - Yes.

Stafford is no Peyton Manning , Brees , Brady , Rodgers …. He's more Eli Manning.

With a little luck , the right team …..
Well technically you could say “a little luck, the right team” about any QB. Heck, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, etc. have all won Super Bowls with the right team. He is definitely better than those guys. Stafford has produced consistently year after year, and while I agree he is no Manning or Brady, he is definitely more talented than just any QB who needs luck and the right team.

RGV82

Random guy
Its still the same system / playbook … just interpreted by a new face.
It is not completely the same system and playbook. Randall Cobb is the best slot guy we have ever had, and the slot role with have a lot more impact on our playbook, and now we have two 3rd down receiving backs (unlike Hyde who was a 2 down power back), and will be incorporating a new dimension to the running game with a lot more 2 back sets and rotating 3rd down RBs. The way we used Hyde-Duke will DEFINITELY not be the same way we use David Johnson-Duke. I am not saying there will be HUGE changes, but with the added talent with more impactful roles, things are going to look different.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Interesting conversation about Watson, but I think (and maybe it's meant to) be a little short-sighted ??

Nothing is ever on one player and you all seem like smart football fans who are well aware of that fact.
You can stat check him, but he's only had two full seasons to go by. In both those seasons, there hasn't been much fluctuation in his game.
I'm just not sure you can say he's trending in either direction at this point and if you do, it's not based on much.

The reason I say short-sighted is taking a look at the rest of the team around him. Some fans like to view QB's as stand alone, but that's silly.
What have the skill position players been like ?? What about his o-line ?? How's the defense played in support ??
Again, I may be preaching to the choir of smart football fans, but those things do matter to rate a QB unless they are truly special.

In that line of thought, how many QB's have played the game that you would say are truly special in that they elevate all players around them ??
I think that number is small honestly and feel that "most" QB's in the league need to have everything considered in their evaluation.

Look at Dalton, the Bengals failed at building an o-line to support him. He's had good skills position players.
In all the seasons he was going to the playoffs, he had top 10 defenses. People liked to blame all those playoff losses on him.
However, that too was short-sighted. While Dalton was not anywhere near elite, he was a mid-level game manager.

I would say that Watson is above that level of play and if the team is successful at building around him, all things are possible.
However, we all know the draft and bringing in FA's can be a crap shoot. Many above average QB's have never won a Super Bowl.
I would say patience should be taken before calling for Watson's head, but I may be wrong.

I can tell you no one will be calling for Burrow's head in Cincinnati in two years and no one is expecting the Bengals in the playoffs soon.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
In that line of thought, how many QB's have played the game that you would say are truly special in that they elevate all players around them ??
I think that number is small honestly and feel that "most" QB's in the league need to have everything considered in their evaluation.
Great post ….

As for that list of QB's that elevate everyone around them , yeah , that list is very short.

You look at Peyton Manning's career - arguably the best QB to play this game - he was only able to drag his team across the finish line once (the second one he got drug across the finish line).
While Brady - has 6 and to be honest , I think Manning was actually the better player but Brady was in a much better situation top to bottom. (and that's taking nothing away from Brady).

I'm by no means ready to write Watson off …. He's got some special tools.