Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Schedule

Same thing was said last year....

Saints to open the season... in the superdome? -L
We gotta go on the road & play a good Chargers team in LA....oh, they went 12-4? - L
Chiefs in Arrowhead against 50 TD Mahomes? - L
&....we get the Pats....... in prime time!?! :firehair:..we always get handled by them.. L
Thats a tough defense we gotta go play on the road in Baltimore - L

Went 3-2 in those games......should've been 4-1 if not for Colvin.png .....

Same thing in the division..

"The Colts have the best o-line in the game & they beat us down in the playoffs last year!...& now we don't have Clowney!!!"..-L
& The titans only got in the playoff last year b/c we let them in....

4-2 in the division...

You guys ought to get tired of crying wolf.

Same thing was said last year....

Saints to open the season... in the superdome? -L
We gotta go on the road & play a good Chargers team in LA....oh, they went 12-4? - L
Chiefs in Arrowhead against 50 TD Mahomes? - L
&....we get the Pats....... in prime time!?! :firehair:..we always get handled by them.. L
Thats a tough defense we gotta go play on the road in Baltimore - L

Went 3-2 in those games......should've been 4-1 if not for View attachment 6071 .....

Same thing in the division..

"The Colts have the best o-line in the game & they beat us down in the playoffs last year!...& now we don't have Clowney!!!"..-L
& The titans only got in the playoff last year b/c we let them in....

4-2 in the division...

You guys ought to get tired of crying wolf.

Well said.

Huh? I've never once said to trade Watson or that Watson is not good enough so don't know why you brought me into this.

Some are quite defensive when it comes to criticism of DW4.

I'm the poster that's advocating trading DW4 for picks, get a new HC and re-build this thing correctly. I'm also the poster that THINKS DW4's not good enough to win a championship.

There was only a few members who picked the Texans to have a bad season last year. Hindsight is 50/50 for a reason right. Looking at that particular schedule some of those games could’ve went either way. There were several games in which were surprising wins and a few that were WTF loses.

This schedule is imo a little tougher, but just last year they can have a few shocker wins and some WTF loses. I believe our division has gotten better. Therefore, those games imo will be toss ups.

I'm the poster that's advocating trading DW4 for picks, get a new HC and re-build this thing correctly. I'm also the poster that THINKS DW4's not good enough to win a championship.

I've mentioned in the past that I would be ok with trading Watson if the return was multiple RD1's and a RD2. Toss in a RD3 or RD4 in 2021 for good measure.

Problem, OB would be the GM orchestrating the trade and after watching what happened with both Clowney and Hopkins I'd really have to look at reality. Texans probably wouldn't get a RD1 pick....even if he landed 2 RD2 picks, they'd probably be split over 2 drafts. Texans would get no replacement for Watson until 2022 and that's only a good thing if the Texans find themselves drafting in the top 5 picks.

If I were going to be honest, the Texans wouldn't be in a position to get anyone better than Watson for the next 3 to 4 seasons. Might as well give him a 5 year contract that is front loaded, guaranteed for 3 years and gives the Texans a complete out after year 4. If they fully crap the bed and suddenly find the themselves in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, then the team may be in a position to easily move Watson since he's under contract during the prime of his career.

There was only a few members who picked the Texans to have a bad season last year. Hindsight is 50/50 for a reason right. Looking at that particular schedule some of those games could’ve went either way. There were several games in which were surprising wins and a few that were WTF loses.

This schedule is imo a little tougher, but just last year they can have a few shocker wins and some WTF loses. I believe our division has gotten better. Therefore, those games imo will be toss ups.

That's the NFL dude. Every team every year has a few surprising wins and a few WTF losses.

Last year the lowly browns hung 45 on a Ravens team that ran roughshod over everybody. That same Browns team gave the Bengals 1 of their 2 wins on the season. & Every year y'all always say our division has gotten tougher and just about every year it has shaken out about the same for us 4-2, 3-3. I don't expect it to be any different this year.

Until 1 of them steps up, i ain't giving them ish.

That's the NFL dude. Every team every year has a few surprising wins and a few WTF losses.

Last year the lowly browns hung 45 on a Ravens team that ran roughshod over everybody. That same Browns team gave the Bengals 1 of their 2 wins on the season. & Every year y'all always say our division has gotten tougher and just about every year it has shaken out about the same for us 4-2, 3-3. I don't expect it to be any different this year.

Until 1 of them steps up, i ain't giving them ish.

My bad dude. I thought I was telling yall something new. Lol man can yall be a little more extreme

I've mentioned in the past that I would be ok with trading Watson if the return was multiple RD1's and a RD2. Toss in a RD3 or RD4 in 2021 for good measure.

Problem, OB would be the GM orchestrating the trade and after watching what happened with both Clowney and Hopkins I'd really have to look at reality. Texans probably wouldn't get a RD1 pick....even if he landed 2 RD2 picks, they'd probably be split over 2 drafts. Texans would get no replacement for Watson until 2022 and that's only a good thing if the Texans find themselves drafting in the top 5 picks.

If I were going to be honest, the Texans wouldn't be in a position to get anyone better than Watson for the next 3 to 4 seasons. Might as well give him a 5 year contract that is front loaded, guaranteed for 3 years and gives the Texans a complete out after year 4. If they fully crap the bed and suddenly find the themselves in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, then the team may be in a position to easily move Watson since he's under contract during the prime of his career.

Hopkins I agree with but everything we are seeing now proves that OB was right about Clowney and he doesn't have near the value he or people on here thinks he does. For everyone that said sacks don't matter and he brings other things apparently the NFL disagrees.

Hopkins I agree with but everything we are seeing now proves that OB was right about Clowney and he doesn't have near the value he or people on here thinks he does. For everyone that said sacks don't matter and he brings other things apparently the NFL disagrees.

What are the chances at this time next year we are looking at the Hopkins trade in the same light. I hope so.

What are the chances at this time next year we are looking at the Hopkins trade in the same light. I hope so.

I won't be looking at it in the same light because they didn't have to pay Hopkins. Clowney's contract was over except for the tag. I still would have made him play on the tag but thats me. Hopkin's though had 3 years left on his deal, so he wanted a raise, so what. Guy signed the contract and agreed to the amount. He wants to sit out for three years fine, don't pay him the money and let him make an ass of himself sitting out a long term contract that, when he signed it, was considered a good contract for him. See how many other teams he can get on then. Clowney OB had to do something because Gaine handed him a headache, Hopkins he could have played hardball and not only got Hopkins back in line but given him a big stick going into the Tunsil and Watson talks. "I'm willing to make Hopkins play on the deal he signed so don't try to screw me because I will walk away no matter who you are." Might have worked, might not but at least it would have shown you wouldn't be screwed over by players that think themselves irreplaceable. So no I won't be looking at the Hopkins trade the same way simply because it wasn't needed.

OB was right about not giving Clowney a big extension, but he was not right about moving him w/ the Seattle trade. He would have helped our horrendous defense alot more than the combo of Martin, Mingo & Conley.

Also... I think he's losing out because of his health concerns, not because of his productivity on the field.

Unlikely b/c Nuk will still be a high level player & will have the stats to back that up.....unlike Clowney. I don’t think he has another all-pro season in him, but I do believe he will continue to be productive in AZ. The question will be whether or not he gets the money from AZ he was vying for here.

Still, In my eyes its real simple, the balance of the trade will be determined by:
1.) what we ultimately get out of David Johnson
2.) what we get out of Cooks...He's included in the balance of the trade b/c he was the guy we traded for after we dealt Nuk. Also, us trading for him likely only goes down b/c we had AZ's 2nd rounder to replace ours with which we gave to LA in the trade.
3.) what we ultimately get out of Ross Blacklock who, almost certainly would not have been there if we stand pat with our own 2nd round slot. Having AZ's allowed us to move up 17 spots in the 2nd round from where we were slotted with our own.

there is no way Hopkins would sit out anything I doubt he would do that to Watson and the offensive ..he asked for a raise u could of said nah and move on

OB was right about not giving Clowney a big extension, but he was not right about moving him w/ the Seattle trade. He would have helped our horrendous defense alot more than the combo of Martin, Mingo & Conley.

The collective of Martin and Conley played well for us..Mingo even had his few moments. Furthermore I don't think having Clowney in either of the playoff games makes a huge difference for us on defense...at least not well over and above what we got out of those other 3 guys. Seattle was a team that had the exact same issues as we did & he didn't make them better at all.

Also... I think he's losing out because of his health concerns, not because of his productivity on the field.

If Clowney had dominated & had the numbers that match his measureables, he'd be signed by now & no team would have any reservations signing him to the type of money he was asking for injury or not..believe that.

There was a poll last year, a prediction poll that had a range you could choose from and I chose the one that was I believe between 7 and 9 wins. If presented with that same poll every year my prediction would be the same every time, going back to 2014.

I look at this schedule and I realistically see between 7 and 9 wins (if Watson and the receivers are healthy all year). The defense isn’t good. The offense is different than last year but nothing they’ve done in the offseason tells me they’re more talented. The offensive line, just by keeping it relatively intact, should be better than last year. Which will place them somewhere in the middle of the pack.

The Texans have to break through that invisible ceiling before I’ll ever be an enthusiastic fan; that guy that can predict anything more than a singular win in the playoffs. And that just doesn’t get me excited anymore.

So.....back to discussing the 202 Schedule. :kitten:

Anyone planning on going to an away game?
I have had my Napa family vacation and two cruises cancelled, not scheduling anything but a summer drive to see family until things clear up. I am assuming a rebate on my season tickets, no way full slate of pre-season games happen, no reason to force people together for that product. Still thinking the first couple games could be cancelled... In Texas we are wide open, NY just called for lockdown through June or something!

I have had my Napa family vacation and two cruises cancelled, not scheduling anything but a summer drive to see family until things clear up. I am assuming a rebate on my season tickets, no way full slate of pre-season games happen, no reason to force people together for that product. Still thinking the first couple games could be cancelled... In Texas we are wide open, NY just called for lockdown through June or something!
I hear you. I paid for my flight because it was really cheap. If the game gets cancelled, I will have a year in which to use that money for another flight. The hotel I can cancel up to two days prior without penalty. It's the October trip to Nashville, I'm hoping by then everything will be up and running again.

Butt Chin was also right about Andre Johnson. I don’t like his arse, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, Nuk already revealed he wanted out anyway. Why keep a guy who wants no part of being a member of the same team that literally had just made him the highest paid receiver when they did?

Butt Chin was also right about Andre Johnson. I don’t like his arse, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, Nuk already revealed he wanted out anyway. Why keep a guy who wants no part of being a member of the same team that literally had just made him the highest paid receiver when they did?

He wanted out because of the coach. The same coach the both of us have discussed our displeasure with. So just imagine what some of these players are dealing with. They’re on the inside while we’re sitting on the outside.

You never want to give a middling QB money before his time. Particularly in these Covid-19 cap times.

The collective of Martin and Conley played well for us..Mingo even had his few moments. Furthermore I don't think having Clowney in either of the playoff games makes a huge difference for us on defense...at least not well over and above what we got out of those other 3 guys. Seattle was a team that had the exact same issues as we did & he didn't make them better at all.

If Clowney had dominated & had the numbers that match his measureables, he'd be signed by now & no team would have any reservations signing him to the type of money he was asking for injury or not..believe that.

That's your opinion and I respect it.

All I know is our defense took a big nose dive last season. And even though Martin & Conley did contribute, they didn't help the defense from taking such a big nose dive compared to previous seasons. When Watt was lost for the season a couple of seasons ago, I saw Clowney step up and help that defense remain one of the league's top. IMO, that Seahawks trade was a bad one for the Texans.

That's your opinion and I respect it.

All I know is our defense took a big nose dive last season. And even though Martin & Conley did contribute, they didn't help the defense from taking such a big nose dive compared to previous seasons. When Watt was lost for the season a couple of seasons ago, I saw Clowney step up and help that defense remain one of the league's top. IMO, that Seahawks trade was a bad one for the Texans.

People are downplaying how important Clowney was to this defense. Yes he wasn’t a big sack guy but his pressure on the quarterback was top notch. He was elite against the run as well.

The reason why he wasn’t picked up was because of his contract demands. Seattle offered him an extension and he turned it down. He also had several other teams bidding for his services.

I agree this was not a good trade.

It's sad that people are still clinging on to what Clowney could have been.

All I know is our defense took a big nose dive last season.

Didn't help that we waited until the season started to start building our secondary.

Losing Jj Watt mid season didn't help.

But we knew our defense was going to struggle against the offenses we played vs the ones we played in 2018.

You never want to give a middling QB money before his time. Particularly in these Covid-19 cap times.
So, now he’s not only a “dumb” small handed, one read, inaccurate QB with a weak arm. He’s also a “middling” QB? Goodness gracious...lol! The guy didn’t even have a sophomore slump, and is yet to have a bad season, but somehow you guys make it seem like he’s some first round bust who doesn’t deserve an extension. Never mind stats, or the fact he has a delusional, mediocre, control freak for HC/GM to go with an awful defense. Watson just isn’t good enough, right? Lol

Last edited:

The two are not mutually exclusive. If you read the article it basically says that yes teams have concerns but his lack of production did nothing to relieve those concerns. It was his contract year, playing for a team that had a real shot at the SB and he puts up those numbers? Add on top of that him wanting Mack money and yeah I can see why no team would want to touch him. Odds are even if he played for us and walked we wouldn’t have gotten more than a 3rd for him in comp picks.

You say he would have helped our defense more than those three. Based on what? His numbers have never lived up to the hype here so what makes you think that his last year, playing on a tag would have magically made him play harder than he ever has before? Clowney got everything he wanted and still was lazy and only had an impact in ruining Philly’s season.

The two are not mutually exclusive. If you read the article it basically says that yes teams have concerns but his lack of production did nothing to relieve those concerns. It was his contract year, playing for a team that had a real shot at the SB and he puts up those numbers? Add on top of that him wanting Mack money and yeah I can see why no team would want to touch him. Odds are even if he played for us and walked we wouldn’t have gotten more than a 3rd for him in comp picks.

You say he would have helped our defense more than those three. Based on what? His numbers have never lived up to the hype here so what makes you think that his last year, playing on a tag would have magically made him play harder than he ever has before? Clowney got everything he wanted and still was lazy and only had an impact in ruining Philly’s season.

I know I'm not going to change your mind, and I'm fine with that. But I think Clowney is a difference maker. No, he's not a top 5 defender. No, he doesn't deserve to be one of the highest paid players in the league. No, he wasn't worth the #1 overall pick. No, he didn't live up to his expectations as a generational player. IMO, it doesn't change that he's still a good player in this league.

Clowney is a guy offenses have to plan for. During the week, they have to figure out how they're going to block him. Offenses are going to run away from him, offenses are going to double team him. Even if he doesn't get the sexy stats, if you have that kind of effect on the game, you're a difference maker. He was one of the most double-teamed players in the league... that means offenses game planned to take him out of the game. Offenses aren't worried about Jacob Martin or Gareon Conley.

I agree that his numbers have never lived up to the hype, but that doesn't change the fact he was a good player.

So, now he’s not only a “dumb” small handed, one read, inaccurate QB with a weak arm. He’s also a “middling” QB? Goodness gracious...lol! The guy didn’t even have a sophomore slump, and is yet to have a bad season, but somehow you guys make it seem like he’s some first round bust who doesn’t deserve an extension. Never mind stats, or the fact he has a delusional, mediocre, control freak for HC/GM to go with an awful defense. Watson just isn’t good enough, right? Lol

He's not dumb, he is slow at processing info in gametime situations. He's not weakarmed but he doesn't have Rodgers/Mahomes/LJ/Wilson type arm strength.

Welp... he's going to get extended and be the highest paid QB in the league (for a short while). Not because he sells tickets & jerseys. It's because this guy believes in him.

Yep, and BOB will be fired soon enough for making this decision. That should make you happy.

He's not dumb, he is slow at processing info in gametime situations. He's not weakarmed but he doesn't have Rodgers/Mahomes/LJ/Wilson type arm strength.

I don't think many people who haven't played the position beyond jr high or the sand lot really understand making those decisions in real time.

It's easy to dissect a play on tape and explain the concepts , its another altogether doing that in real time … with big dudes bearing down on you. Watson has made his share of mistakes in that regard …. and as the season wore on , teams started playing Watson to force him to make those decisions and keep him in the pocket.

Welp... he's going to get extended and be the highest paid QB in the league (for a short while). Not because he sells tickets & jerseys. It's because this guy believes in him.

I don't doubt that they extend him …. I do doubt they make him the highest paid player in the league with that extension.

Not when it's gonna take more than $35m to do so , not with a salary cap that's set to decline by almost a third.
35m today is 17.67% of the cap.

35m next year is 26.11% of the projected cap.

They ain't paying him 26% of the total cap. Not happening.

Salaries are going to decline significantly , likely to numbers around 2014's when the cap was 1m less than the projections for 2021.

I don't think many people who haven't played the position beyond jr high or the sand lot really understand making those decisions in real time.

It's easy to dissect a play on tape and explain the concepts , its another altogether doing that in real time … with big dudes bearing down on you. Watson has made his share of mistakes in that regard …. and as the season wore on , teams started playing Watson to force him to make those decisions and keep him in the pocket.

This will continue and DW4 will have to figure out how to improve from the pocket if he wants to be the QB some on this MB already think he is. This will require him change lifelong habits. You betting he can do this?

This will continue and DW4 will have to figure out how to improve from the pocket if he wants to be the QB some on this MB already think he is. This will require him change lifelong habits. You betting he can do this?

I wouldn't ask him to change to fit my offense that doesn't suit him.

I'd put him in space , outside the pocket instead of asking him to stand there.

But I know you don't care for my west coast offense idea's ….

I wouldn't ask him to change to fit my offense that doesn't suit him.

I'd put him in space , outside the pocket instead of asking him to stand there.

But I know you don't care for my west coast offense idea's ….

Defenses are going to force DW4 to play from the pocket. There's only so much you can scheme to get DW4 outside the pocket. If he's going to be successful he's going to have to learn how to throw from the pocket. Just like Steve Young did in SF and McNabb did in Philly etc....

You think he's not good enough to win a championship just here or on any team?

You think he's not good enough to win a championship just here or on any team?

Any team unless he changes his game. Some like Steve Young/Staubach/Wilson etc.. have been able to change there games. Most haven't been able to change.

I read an article somewhere about how playing QB in the NFL has changed. You have to be able to make the on schedule throws, (Plays from the pocket and how the plays have been designed) but you also have to be able to make 2-3 off schedule plays per game to be successful. Right now DW4's struggling to make the on schedule plays consistently and is looking to make to off schedule plays far to often.

I don't doubt that they extend him …. I do doubt they make him the highest paid player in the league with that extension.

Not when it's gonna take more than $35m to do so , not with a salary cap that's set to decline by almost a third.
35m today is 17.67% of the cap.

35m next year is 26.11% of the projected cap.

They ain't paying him 26% of the total cap. Not happening.

Salaries are going to decline significantly , likely to numbers around 2014's when the cap was 1m less than the projections for 2021.

To think TB gave me an unlike for saying the same thing you're saying. LMAO

The 2nd part of your post I hope is the new reality of the NFL.

Any team unless he changes his game. Some like Steve Young/Staubach/Wilson etc.. have been able to change there games. Most haven't been able to change.

I read an article somewhere about how playing QB in the NFL has changed. You have to be able to make the on schedule throws, (Plays from the pocket and how the plays have been designed) but you also have to be able to make 2-3 off schedule plays per game to be successful. Right now DW4's struggling to make the on schedule plays consistently and is looking to make to off schedule plays far to often.
I think your views on Watson are based more on opinion than facts.

"DW won't win a championship unless he improves."

That's not a unique take. I think majority of people in here have the same thoughts, including myself.

I think what separates you, from everyone else, is that you believe DW will NOT improve. He has already reached his potential.

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your stance.

That's not a unique take. I think majority of people in here have the same thoughts, including myself.

I think what separates you, from everyone else, is that you believe DW will NOT improve. He has already reached his potential.

I dont think he will improve to a championship levelQB after seeing his regression during the last 3 yrs. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, DW4 turns it around and becomes SB MVP. (Doubtful)

This debate is endless. It’s the old question of what came first the chicken or the egg? Some say Watson would be better if BOB developed him better, others say Watson is not a good QB, others say it’s all situational, and he’d be a champion playing for another team. It’s all theory. Until these theories are tested, we’d never truly know. Tons of past QBs potential have been wasted playing on the wrong team or wrong situation.

Back