Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 Training Camp

Duane Brown was the only other 1st round lineman drafted to be the FRANCHISE LT for this team and he didnt need time at a GUARD position to figure it out .. he took his lumps and was baptized by fire and turned into an ALL PRO LT .. why do we need to babysit Howard? He was also drafted to be a franchise LT (you would hope) and yet he needs to be coddled? That is all of a sudden is the tried and true method of player development? Sorry if Im not too excited about that. At the very least he should be playing RT. It is not just disturbing, but incompetent.

This is a survivalist mentality. "I did it so why can't you???"

Every player is different. We can point to a plethora of 1st round tackle talent that were busts. DB had his own path, including splitting reps at the beginning of his rookie season.

I'm not concerned with where Howard starts, but rather where he ends up.

In the end, he may not ever be able to be a Franchise LT but turns into a 'franchise" LG for the next decade. I would take that over forcing him into the LT position before he is ready and ruining his career. You seem intend though on wanting him there come hell or high water on this first snap of pre-season, regardless of what is best for the team, him or Watson.

I don't think having Howard and Sharping start at G this year is a terrible notion. Neither of them were expected to be competent starting OTs in the first year when they were drafted. Why those guys were drafted there is the subject of a whole other conversation, but regardless, we find ourselves here. If they can both improve the G play from last year, and solidify the middle of the line and make it a possible strength, the line can move from being a total dumpster fire to being warm garbage. If two players from the group of Kalil, Davenport, and Henderson can give just passable play at OT, they can move from being warm garbage to mediocre. That is incremental improvement. There was no way we were going to see the O line become a strength of the team in one season anyway with what was available in the draft and free agency. I think the team is trying to make the best of what they have, and if those two rookies can get some experience and chemistry this season and kick outside as they develop, while improving the interior now, I'm all for it. Sticking those guys out at OT in their rookie years, with the interior line being weak as well, would be a disaster.

That development depends on the coaching, which is another issue altogether.

I also have to wonder why they aren't kicking down the Snyder's doors to get Trent Williams in town like RTFNow. There is a piece that would immediately solve a big part of several problems that is just sitting there unhappy in his current situation. Pony up, Cal, and help fix this mess! You've got cap room, and you've got picks to trade. Grow a set and make it happen!

Last edited:
Quick thoughts from today. More on the site later. Really got to see the #Texans heat up the OTs today. Seantrel Henderson had issues and Matt Kalil held his own. Still have to worry about long term for the season if they can hold up.

— patrick (@PatDStat) July 31, 2019

Whitney Mercilus and J.J. Watt and still heat up the edges in their pass rush. Those two have power and speed. Always good to see them get work on their pass rush. #Texans

I thought the offensive line held their own in short yardage situations. Defense won some reps as did the offense. Not one side really dominated. That is a good sign imo for the offensive line who struggled in the trenches last season. #Texans

Johnathan Joseph said he talks to Jadeveon Clowney every other day

— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) July 31, 2019

Duane Brown was the only other 1st round lineman drafted to be the FRANCHISE LT for this team and he didnt need time at a GUARD position to figure it out .. he took his lumps and was baptized by fire and turned into an ALL PRO LT .. why do we need to babysit Howard? He was also drafted to be a franchise LT (you would hope) and yet he needs to be coddled? That is all of a sudden is the tried and true method of player development? Sorry if Im not too excited about that. At the very least he should be playing RT. It is not just disturbing, but incompetent.

Don't you know that once a person is successful at something, all other probabilities collapse into that single solution that must work for everyone else?

Every player is different. We can point to a plethora of 1st round tackle talent that were busts. DB had his own path, including splitting reps at the beginning of his rookie season.

In the end, he may not ever be able to be a Franchise LT but turns into a 'franchise" LG for the next decade. I would take that over forcing him into the LT position before he is ready and ruining his career. You seem intend though on wanting him there come hell or high water on this first snap of pre-season, regardless of what is best for the team, him or Watson.
I don't care how good your guards are, if you don't have a LT you don't have a passing game. That's why it's such a disgrace to put a talent like Scharping inside. Either he or Howard better have a tackle spot or the draft was wasted. Clowney will never play for us anyway so there's no excuse for not at least trying to trade him for Trent Williams.

I get it, trust me I do. I understand the passive, take your time approach. Usually reserved for later picks who need that time to get ready for NFL life. Its why 1st round picks are expected to contribute from day 1 and not need to be labeled "projects".

Also, was Offensive Guard a position that was considered a "weakness" - yeah I know the whole line is crap, but you have to be able to self evaluate and have a realistic understanding of the problems you are faced with. Mancz, Fulton, Rankin, Martin, Kelemete .. all guys who showed they could be serviceable inside. Thats why you drafted TWO offensive tackles right? So now that you have these guys you are going to stunt their growth by playing them inside? Do you understand the differences in technique and skill set needed to play inside and on an island? Going through all the camp notes on each team that took an offensive lineman in the first/second rounds and it would appear only the Texans are moving their rookie linemen into positions that they were not playing the year before? The Caroline Panthers drafted Greg Little for their LT and he's supposed to start there day 1 and protect Cam. Jawaan Taylor first team RT for JAX. Cody Ford 2nd round pick - 1st team reps at RT for BUF.

Yes I want these players to play the postions that they were drafted for so that we can figure out if they are going to stick there OR if they need to be moved somewhere else. (just like Martinas Rankin - I swore he could play LT in the NFL and I was wrong, his feet are not good enough so now he gets passed over for an inside job because the guys you drafted to play outside are not ready and you will get them ready by playing them out of position??)

It just seems like they are giving the jobs to Kalil and Henderson by veteran default .. very similar to Buttchins QB Carousels. Everyone said "sit Watson he needs time" and it wasnt until he was thrust into the position and started to perfect his craft that people were able to see that he had "it" and all the criticisms could start to dwindle. Drafting tackles and moving them to guard is a big red flag for most every other football guy that doesnt have steel blue blinders on.

I get it, trust me I do. I understand the passive, take your time approach. Usually reserved for later picks who need that time to get ready for NFL life. Its why 1st round picks are expected to contribute from day 1 and not need to be labeled "projects".

Also, was Offensive Guard a position that was considered a "weakness" - yeah I know the whole line is crap, but you have to be able to self evaluate and have a realistic understanding of the problems you are faced with. Mancz, Fulton, Rankin, Martin, Kelemete .. all guys who showed they could be serviceable inside. Thats why you drafted TWO offensive tackles right? So now that you have these guys you are going to stunt their growth by playing them inside? Do you understand the differences in technique and skill set needed to play inside and on an island? Going through all the camp notes on each team that took an offensive lineman in the first/second rounds and it would appear only the Texans are moving their rookie linemen into positions that they were not playing the year before? The Caroline Panthers drafted Greg Little for their LT and he's supposed to start there day 1 and protect Cam. Jawaan Taylor first team RT for JAX. Cody Ford 2nd round pick - 1st team reps at RT for BUF.

Yes I want these players to play the postions that they were drafted for so that we can figure out if they are going to stick there OR if they need to be moved somewhere else. (just like Martinas Rankin - I swore he could play LT in the NFL and I was wrong, his feet are not good enough so now he gets passed over for an inside job because the guys you drafted to play outside are not ready and you will get them ready by playing them out of position??)

It just seems like they are giving the jobs to Kalil and Henderson by veteran default .. very similar to Buttchins QB Carousels. Everyone said "sit Watson he needs time" and it wasnt until he was thrust into the position and started to perfect his craft that people were able to see that he had "it" and all the criticisms could start to dwindle. Drafting tackles and moving them to guard is a big red flag for most every other football guy that doesnt have steel blue blinders on.

Exactly. If Kalil and Seantrel are that good then why bother drafting two potential tackles?

Like you mentioned, the interior was serviceable. Now we might actually mess up the interior by replacing the vets with rookies there

Exactly. If Kalil and Seantrel are that good then why bother drafting two potential tackles?

Like you mentioned, the interior was serviceable. Now we might actually mess up the interior by replacing the vets with rookies there

Its starting to become a monumental clusterfk. Need these preseason games injected right into my veins ASAP!

If both wind up starting the season at guard, is that not contributing from day 1?

You drafted 2 guys that played tackle in college yes, but #1, just b/c they're taking reps inside at guard doesn't mean they still won't play tackle. #2, it is actually very common place for tackles to get at least a few reps at guard in TC simply so they can get the feel of what the guy next to them is doing/should be doing within their blocking scheme. This is for their own comfort should they have to kick inside when an injury occurs. & when you consider how cohesive an o-line has to be, i would think it doesn't stunt their growth but rather has the opposite effect. Furthermore, if you're talking keeping the 5 best guys on the field at all times, this approach allows this to happen a bit more seemlessly...instead of putting a guy out there that you know is not very good just b/c he plays guard vs maybe kicking 1 of your starters who isn't hurt over to this position where he's still probably better than this back up guard.

It just seems like they are giving the jobs to Kalil and Henderson by veteran default .. very similar to Buttchins QB Carousels. Everyone said "sit Watson he needs time" and it wasnt until he was thrust into the position and started to perfect his craft that people were able to see that he had "it" and all the criticisms could start to dwindle.

Apples and pineapples mainly b/c there's only 1 qb position & there's no position remotely similar to it on the field...Unless you think BoB would've seriously entertained putting DW4 in at RB or WR in the event Miller or Nuk got hurt lol.

From comments made on this forum, and from what I've now heard on the radio, last year our interior linemen were not anchoring against the pass rush and were not giving Watson a pocket to step up into. They were OK in run blocking but we need more size and strength to better anchor.

If both wind up starting the season at guard, is that not contributing from day 1?

You drafted 2 guys that played tackle in college yes, but #1, just b/c they're taking reps inside at guard doesn't mean they still won't play tackle. #2, it is actually very common place for tackles to get at least a few reps at guard in TC simply so they can get the feel of what the guy next to them is doing/should be doing within their blocking scheme. This is for their own comfort should they have to kick inside when an injury occurs. & when you consider how cohesive an o-line has to be, i would think it doesn't stunt their growth but rather has the opposite effect. Furthermore, if you're talking keeping the 5 best guys on the field at all times, this approach allows this to happen a bit more seemlessly...instead of putting a guy out there that you know is not very good just b/c he plays guard.

Apples and pineapples mainly b/c there's only 1 qb position & there's no position remotely similar to it on the field...Unless you think BoB would've seriously entertained putting DW4 in at RB or WR in the event Miller or Nuk got hurt lol.

If it was Alex Gibbs or Hudson Houck doing this , there would be no complaints ... maybe .

Putting in a small school rookie LT is a recipe for disaster. He's got the tools, but at G, he's got some protection on either side. If he bombs out and becomes a solid (or better) LG, what's the problem?

Most likely, he'll play LG this year if MK stays healthy, or when MK goes down, he'll slide to LT OR they will put in Davenport and Howard still becomes the heir apparent for 2020.

Either way - unless you really hate Watson, you'd be a fool to throw Howard to the wolves this early in his development. Dude played at Little Sisters of the Poor for crying out loud.

That's just foolish!

Putting in a small school rookie LT is a recipe for disaster. He's got the tools, but at G, he's got some protection on either side. If he bombs out and becomes a solid (or better) LG, what's the problem?

Most likely, he'll play LG this year if MK stays healthy, or when MK goes down, he'll slide to LT OR they will put in Davenport and Howard still becomes the heir apparent for 2020.

Either way - unless you really hate Watson, you'd be a fool to throw Howard to the wolves this early in his development. Dude played at Little Sisters of the Poor for crying out loud.

That's just foolish!

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...emy-tunsil-making-smooth-transition-to-guard/

Laremy Tunsil says transition to guard is easy, but he’s still with second team

From comments made on this forum, and from what I've now heard on the radio, last year our interior linemen were not anchoring against the pass rush and were not giving Watson a pocket to step up into. They were OK in run blocking but we need more size and strength to better anchor.

None of these o-linemen should be locked in as starters at this point...not anyone who played significant time last year anyway.

Kelemete nor Fulton couldn't stay healthy at the guard spots...Nick Martin has his own injury history. & even when those guys were healthy, they weren't that good. I go back & watch that Bills game & i cringe. I don't see how DW4 made it through that game, the o-line was awful.

Last edited:

That's just foolish!

You're right. But the plan to out Kalil out there, a guy who has sucked or been injured for 6 years, is just as bad.

And who is taking backup reps?

That's true, the guards were mediocre. But I think they were better than the tackles. They are least have guys (Fulton and senio) who played well for other franchises just a couple years ago

That's true, the guards were mediocre. But I think they were better than the tackles. They are least have guys (Fulton and senio) who played well for other franchises just a couple years ago

Fulton primarily played the most games at center for KC. Senio had limited reps for NO at guard and also had studs next to him.

Fulton primarily played the most games at center for KC. Senio had limited reps for NO at guard and also had studs next to him.

He was solid all across the board playing multiple positions on that line. The Saints coached that lineup finally. Something we're not seeing here in Houston.

Here's a hypothetical. From what I've heard and read, Howard has been outstanding at LG, maybe dominate. Kalil made the pro bowl as a rookie. If Howard did so as a rookie at LG, would you still move him to LT?

That's just foolish!

Then how do you describe starting 4th round PROJECT Julien Davenport??? If the guy is 1st round talent he should be expected to contribute from day 1, otherwise they shouldnt have drafted him on day 1.

He was solid all across the board playing multiple positions on that line. The Saints coached that lineup finally. Something we're not seeing here in Houston.

He was their swing lineman and only started a handful of games over a 4 year career with the Saints. All he'd shown is that he could be a nice spot starter for you in a pinch. That's it. Easy to look solid when that's all you're doing...Just ask Ryan Fitzpatrick

Alot of the problem also stemmed from the design of using an H-Back/TE to "max protect" and those guys were just as horrible as the linemen. The whole line has their problems, but you can break down the positional grades for each player from last year and you would see that the higher graded guys came from C/G - the tackle play for this team was historically bad going on 3 years now.

Kelemete was rumored to be pushing New Orleans for a starting job and he left in hopes of securing one. All he found was that Houston coaches have shortened his career arc by 5 years.

Here's a hypothetical. From what I've heard and read, Howard has been outstanding at LG, maybe dominate. Kalil made the pro bowl as a rookie. If Howard did so as a rookie at LG, would you still move him to LT?

I'd leave him there.

Well if they suck then why did OBrien want them?

There is a quote from an old John Wayne war movie, He says something to the effect of .... If you're afraid, don't be embarrassed .... fear is normal and healthy. Beware the soldier that seems brave and looks forward to battle. Avoid him, he is a dangerous man, he will most likely get killed .... and will probably get you killed too ! I know that's sappy, but I think O'Brien is that man. He's convinced that he is always the smartest guy in the room, and what's worse, he actually convinces others of that .... like maybe Cal ?

Well that's dumb signings by O'Brien. The goal should be to get good players, not to get bad players who are slightly better than the crap you have

yeah...just like the goal of every team is to win the SB.....but most never even make the playoffs....guess they should all just fold up their franchises then. It's easy to just go out & sign pro bowlers & all-pros at every position!

yeah...just like the goal of every team is to win the SB.....but most never even make the playoffs....guess they should all just fold up their franchises then. It's easy to just go out & sign pro bowlers & all-pros at every position!

If they thought Fulton and Senior were good, then fine they just suck at talent evaluation.

But if their goal is just to sign slightly less bad players, then it's a bad strategy

There is a quote from an old John Wayne war movie, He says something to the effect of .... If you're afraid, don't be embarrassed .... fear is normal and healthy. Beware the soldier that seems brave and looks forward to battle. Avoid him, he is a dangerous man, he will most likely get killed .... and will probably get you killed too ! I know that's sappy, but I think O'Brien is that man. He's convinced that he is always the smartest guy in the room, and what's worse, he actually convinces others of that .... like maybe Cal ?

Perfect. I asked a few months ago what character O'Brien is and this is a great answer

Day 6 recap

...The only play I got to see in that drill was rookie running back Karan Higdon getting drilled by a linebacker but keeping his feet somehow for a solid gain.

Speaking of rookies, tight end Kahale Warring returned after missing the first week of practice. He was on PUP/NFI to start training camp, but he was in full pads ready to roll. There was a lot of excitement around Warring during the offseason and for good reason. But, he’s going to have to do some serious work to get back in this talented tight end rotation.

When that inside drill ended, the Texans went into a highly competitive 11-on-11 drill. On the first play, quarterback Deshaun Watson hit receiver Keke Coutee for a completion, but a Benardrick McKinney pass breakup as he dropped in coverage ended the series for Watson and company.....

If you wanna read the rest from John Harris: https://www.houstontexans.com/news/...PFZLmAxTbCnTN-m8EMxNuTg6N5piO4u46lNzJGo9FQHvc

If they thought Fulton and Senior were good, then fine they just suck at talent evaluation.

But if their goal is just to sign slightly less bad players, then it's a bad strategy

Lol, that's literally noone goal & the fact that you believe that that was the thought process behind it speaks volumes.

But at the end of the day you apparently agreed with him considering you were just touting Senio & Fulton as being "serviceable".

Lol, that's literally noone goal & the fact that you believe that that was the thought process behind it speaks volumes.

But at the end of the day you apparently agreed with him considering you were just touting Senio & Fulton as being "serviceable".

I asked why they signed them and you said they got those guys because they were a slight improvement over what we had.

Yes, they were serviceable. That doesn't mean I necessarily agreed with the signings. The goal is to be good or great, not serviceable.

I asked why they signed them and you said they got those guys because they were a slight improvement over what we had.

Yes, they were serviceable. That doesn't mean I necessarily agreed with the signings. The goal is to be good or great, not serviceable.

All 32 teams' goals every single year is to win the SB....So b/c that doesn't happen for 31 of them every single year that means that every move each of them made that offseason wasn't necessarily a net positive? C'mon bro. Failure to reach your goal doesn't necessarily negate progress.

Besides, what would you have had them do? Stand pat with what they had on the o-line in 2017? Swing for the fences in the draft? The latter would've been tough to do considering we had no 1st or 2nd in the 2018 draft.

All 32 teams' goals every single year is to win the SB....So b/c that doesn't happen for 31 of them every single year that means that every move each of them made that offseason wasn't necessarily a net positive? C'mon bro. Failure to reach your goal doesn't necessarily negate progress.

Besides, what you have had them do? Stand pat? Swing for the fences? The latter would've been tough to do considering we had no 1st or 2nd in the 2018 draft.

O'Brien needs to evaluate talent better. He sucks at it.

Besides, what would you have had them do? Stand pat with what they had on the o-line in 2017? Swing for the fences in the draft? The latter would've been tough to do considering we had no 1st or 2nd in the 2018 draft.

Does "swing for the fences" apply to trading up 1 spot ?

Does "swing for the fences" apply to trading up 1 spot ?

i wish you guys would stop acting like its a foregone conclusion Dillard is going to be an All-Pro just b/c he was the consensus best tackle available that we missed by 1 pick.

Draft experts get it wrong all the time & the Texans draft history suggests that we usually come out on top when it comes to these controversial picks.

Carr v Peppers - lost that one
Charles Rodgers v AJ80 won that one
VY/Bush v Mario - Won that one
Okoye v Willis - lost that one
D. Brown v reaching up for any of the other tackle prospects thought to be better - Won that
JJ vs Aldon Smith - Won that one
Nuk vs Cordarrelle - Won
Clowney v Mack - lost that one..but still got a helluva player
DW4 v moving up for Mahomes - Lost but still got a helluva player

we do ok when it comes to these types of controversial picks.

Last edited:
i wish you guys would stop acting like its a foregone conclusion Dillard is going to be an All-Pro just b/c he was the consensus best tackle in the draft that we missed by 1 pick. Statistically speaking, he's just as likely to bust as Howard is.

What about those that think 2nd rounders will pan out as well?

To be fair Kubiak/Gibbs had DB split time with Ephraim Salaam especially early in the season. So DB wasn't just thrown in the deep end with no help.

Then there's the whole Alex Gibbs >>> Devlin thing....

To be fair Kubiak/Gibbs had DB split time with Ephraim Salaam especially early in the season. So DB wasn't just thrown in the deep end with no help.

Then there's the whole Alex Gibbs >>> Devlin thing....

So they actually knew what they were doing

BS. Get on the damn phone and find out who is tradable for a package. The Texans suck miserably at this.

That same off season Belicheck got Trent Brown for little value who ended up having so good of a season that he became the highest paid offensive lineman in FA and maybe ever. That could have been the Texans. Their trade game sucks. Always has. They'll never become that opportunistic team that looks for other team's malcontents or improper fits where they can steal great value in odd situations. They're always snoozing away and then we as Texans fans are scratching our heads when other teams pick these guys up and we're sitting here wondering why we weren't involved or why we couldn't have at least been the mix where we drove the price up. Its sad.

The one and only time where they did what I described was when they stole Osweiller in the middle of the night. I did like that, and gave them props for it when they did. It didn't work out, but I still have no criticisms over that other than the bad evaluation of him all together.

Back