Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 Training Camp

I realize that JJo got burned and everybody wants to blame it on age. While that probably does play a role in it the fact is that speed kills and WF has done this to younger players. I may be wrong but I think JJo will have a solid season. No he will not be a pro bowler but he won't suck either.

If your WRs don't get receptions in non contact drills you have very large problems. Hell if they don't get receptions in full contact practice you have very large problems.

Speed played no role in that clip. It's an under 10 yd pass with a well placed throw. Old dude is not going to chase a tackle he isn't allowed to make.

I realize that JJo got burned and everybody wants to blame it on age. While that probably does play a role in it the fact is that speed kills and WF has done this to younger players. I may be wrong but I think JJo will have a solid season. No he will not be a pro bowler but he won't suck either.

I was just joking.

I agree with you. He’s shown that despite his age he can still be an established veteran in the secondary.

My hope is that he’ll become a coach for us when he retires. He’s a great leader for the younger guys on the team.

I agree with you. He’s shown that despite his age he can still be an established veteran in the secondary.

My hope is that he’ll become a coach for us when he retires. He’s a great leader for the younger guys on the team.

I love JJo my issue is with the Texans not having more talented CB's. JJo shouldn't be the most talented CB at his age. In an ideal world he would be the 3rd CB at his advanced age.

I love JJo my issue is with the Texans not having more talented CB's. JJo shouldn't be the most talented CB at his age. In an ideal world he would be the 3rd CB at his advanced age.

Well, you may be mistaken. The early reports from training camp is that the CBS are looking pretty good.

If your WRs don't get receptions in non contact drills you have very large problems. Hell if they don't get receptions in full contact practice you have very large problems.

Speed played no role in that clip. It's an under 10 yd pass with a well placed throw. Old dude is not going to chase a tackle he isn't allowed to make.

Ummm, his job was still to cover the guy. He got burned, it's ok. Fuller will probably do that to lots of folks.

Ummm, his job was still to cover the guy. He got burned, it's ok. Fuller will probably do that to lots of folks.
I don't mind that. Fuller shoud get his. I object to old man JJo references when speed had no part.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

If you don't have that attitude you shouldn't be db.

Said from an admittedly former SS bias.

J Jo had good coverage. Ain't been anyone since Deion that had coverage every play. Maybe that smurf with the Jets. (It's practice).

Deion had to resort to playing off receivers to get QBs to look his direction. That's shutdown.

Sometimes yall literally take things to seriously. JJo is a old man in this league now. He would tell you that himself. Yes he is still playing at a high level but whenever he's up against a speedster with great route running abilities, he gets burnt.
Generally agree. I don't like folks with one data point, age, and then assume no matter what. JJo is a fantastic, wiley, db who is by the way right now probably faster than our 2nd round pick. But it's his smarts, like Glenn, that make him valuable. He knows how to play the rules.

I saw this link today, think we could drop the third QB and get him off the couch later if needed. Then could carry an extra WR or OL maybe? I know 10 OL is a bit heavy, so maybe let Kelemente or Kalil go depending on what they see, then you may have room for a extra WR. Reading through this, it really does strike you that 45 or so guys are known. Seems just some battles at WR, OL, and DB. Maybe third RB, and now punter too

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-t...oster-projection-features-a-crowded-secondary

I saw this link today, think we could drop the third QB and get him off the couch later if needed. Then could carry an extra WR or OL maybe? I know 10 OL is a bit heavy, so maybe let Kelemente or Kalil go depending on what they see, then you may have room for a extra WR. Reading through this, it really does strike you that 45 or so guys are known. Seems just some battles at WR, OL, and DB. Maybe third RB, and now punter too

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-t...oster-projection-features-a-crowded-secondary

We won't keep 5 RBs (4 HBs)

Also, If there isn't a legitimate injury to one of our mid-round picks (Scharping, Warring, L Johnson, Oeenihu), then one will be made up... One or two of those guys are going to get stashed on IR for 2020.

Sometimes yall literally take things to seriously. JJo is a old man in this league now. He would tell you that himself. Yes he is still playing at a high level but whenever he's up against a speedster with great route running abilities, he gets burnt.

Agreed, I love JoJo but he's noth the guy that you consistently line up against WR1 anymore. He's still very good, way above avg and hopefully can help teach the young guys. With age always comes injury so take this into account.

Finally Jad has come back!

1da3dbdc41d622e7cd597123569a0411.gif

Lonnie Johnson left practice with a leg injury.

OB starting to get irritated with Warring not being out there

Foreman is terrible in Pass Pro and his job is not promised

Gillaspia is our 2nd best RB pass blocker

Howard continues to impress at LG, seems like a lock to start there, Kalil didn't practice today but Howard stayed at LG

Watson continues to look sharp and very accurate

Lonnie Johnson left practice with a leg injury.

OB starting to get irritated with Warring not being out there

Foreman is terrible in Pass Pro and his job is not promised

Gillaspia is our 2nd best RB pass blocker

Howard continues to impress at LG, seems like a lock to start there, Kalil didn't practice today but Howard stayed at LG

Watson continues to look sharp and very accurate
I read somewhere Warring had a non football related issue. Don’t know what that could be. Heard Mancz is having a bad camp. Whatever goes down I do NOT want to see Martin at C. Heard Sharping is getting reps there. He’s smart. Hope it works. Edit. Just read Warring’s injury is a strain from a personal workout. Should be back soon. Edit. Just read Harris’ day 4 notes. Said nothing about Lonnie Johnson being injured. Did say Akins had a great day.

Last edited:
I read somewhere Warring had a non football related issue. Don’t know what that could be. Heard Mancz is having a bad camp. Whatever goes down I do NOT want to see Martin at C. Heard Sharping is getting reps there. He’s smart. Hope it works. Edit. Just read Warring’s injury is a strain from a personal workout. Should be back soon. Edit. Just read Harris’ day 4 notes. Said nothing about Lonnie Johnson being injured. Did say Akins had a great day.

https://twitter.com/aaronjreiss/status/1155516913776287744

I was just joking.
Ok
I wasn't upset. Simply saying for those calling him old that getting burned in this instance wasn't necessarily due to his age. Since it was meant to be taken as a joke I say haha funny.

In regards to Lonnie Johnson leaving practice with ice pack on leg, it might be well to get a vet CB in a trade.

If JJo were to be left on an island against Fuller in a real game the same thing would likely happen. Lost a step or not, not many can check him one on one.

In a real game though, I think Rac is smart enough to give him safety help over the top against guys that can stretch the field like that.

From Battle Red Blog

Texans Training Camp: Tytus Howard Finding a Home at Left Guard
usa_today_12876426.0.jpg

Whether you agree with the Texans first round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft or not, Tytus Howardis the future of the Texans offensive line. He's a behemoth of a man with quick feet and a ton of talent. The only question is where do the Texans want to place him on the offensive line

Howard himself believes in the picture Bill O’Brien and the offensive coaching staff are painting for him. He said in a conversation with the media he believes practicing inside will “help me out, get me adjusted to the game speed.... so I just want to go out there each and every day at left guard, and just play the best ball I can play”.

For the Texans, it is not whether Howard would be the best left tackle on the team, but rather does he elevate the position more than the next player. He may be destined to play tackle, but if he is of a greater incremental benefit to the Texans than either Kelemente or Rankin, then that’s where the Texans should play him.

Though its not uncommon for a training tackle to start out at guard to get comfortable with the speed before kicking back out to tackle, this offense is so in need of a talent boost that no one would be surprised to see him stay at guard.

As of now, the Texans offensive line looks something like this:

LT: Julie’n Davenport OR Matt Kalil

LG: Tytus Howard

C: Nick Martin

RG: Zach Fulton

RT: Seantrel Henderson.​

From Battle Red Blog

Texans Training Camp: Tytus Howard Finding a Home at Left Guard
usa_today_12876426.0.jpg

Whether you agree with the Texans first round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft or not, Tytus Howardis the future of the Texans offensive line. He's a behemoth of a man with quick feet and a ton of talent. The only question is where do the Texans want to place him on the offensive line

Howard himself believes in the picture Bill O’Brien and the offensive coaching staff are painting for him. He said in a conversation with the media he believes practicing inside will “help me out, get me adjusted to the game speed.... so I just want to go out there each and every day at left guard, and just play the best ball I can play”.

For the Texans, it is not whether Howard would be the best left tackle on the team, but rather does he elevate the position more than the next player. He may be destined to play tackle, but if he is of a greater incremental benefit to the Texans than either Kelemente or Rankin, then that’s where the Texans should play him.

Though its not uncommon for a training tackle to start out at guard to get comfortable with the speed before kicking back out to tackle, this offense is so in need of a talent boost that no one would be surprised to see him stay at guard.

As of now, the Texans offensive line looks something like this:

LT: Julie’n Davenport OR Matt Kalil

LG: Tytus Howard

C: Nick Martin

RG: Zach Fulton

RT: Seantrel Henderson.​
Those legs look skinny to me for a guard. Sure enough, looked up his draft profile and saw this:
Unable to generate push through leg drive due to lack of lower-body power
More ZBS and finesse to come I guess.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tytus-howard?id=3219484f-5743-2152-432d-da3c484cb3f8

More camp notes....
LINK
Texans Training Camp Day 5: Justin Reid Returns with a Bang + Observations

The Texans activated Justin Reid from their non-football injury list getting him on the football field for the first time all training camp. Reid missed the start of camp after a car accident and with the guidance of the organization's medical staff held him out until everything was clear for him to return to the field safely.

Reid made his presence known with an impressive day that saw him active and already making plays. He picked off Deshaun Watson during team drills when he had a nice break on the football. His awareness and ability to diagnose plays was on display just like his rookie season.

Also, it marked the first time that the Texans top three safeties were all on the field during camp. Tashaun Gipson lining up next to Reid and with Jahleel Addae as the third safety, there is work to be done to develop their chemistry heading towards the season.

D'Onta Foreman Has Work To Do
The Texans are pulling back on what they are asking D'Onta Foreman to do at the moment. Bill O'Brien alluded to making sure Foreman is a runner first, and the focus is not too much on his need to improve his pass protection.

On Sunday, Foreman struggled in pass pro drills against defensive backs, and it continues to show it is a work in progress.

Foreman is watching other running backs like Lamar Miller, Taiwan Jones, Karan Higdon Jr., and Josh Ferguson take part in the passing game. His role is dimisnishing, and part of that could be due to his limitations as a back in certain areas right now.

At this point, Foreman would be sliding into Alfred Blue's role from the past few seasons with Lamar Miller getting the bulk of the work. The Texans are working to find a third-down back for the offense. If they can find one, it could mean limited snaps for Foreman if this trend continues heading to the off-season.

Veteran Offensive Lineman Challenged
When the Texans selected Tytus Howard and Max Scharping this past NFL Draft, the organization envisioned the young duo's long-term potential. More than that the organization wanted to get more athletic on the interior to combat a growing trend of interior pass rushers that are just as athletic and powerful as edge rushers.

Howard and Scharping are pushing last season's starters Senio Kelemete and Zach Fulton for their starting roles. Howard appears to have a stranglehold on the starting left guard position while there is a camp competition brewing at the right guard position between Fulton and Scharping.

The Texans want to get Howard and Scharping on the field and earn their stripes on the field. They might not wait too long to get both rookies on the field start on the offensive line.

Cullen Gillaspia Locking Up His Role
Fullback Cullen Gillaspia is finding his way with the team, and it appears he is carving out his niche on the roster. He will be a crucial piece on the special teams unit, but he showed it might be tough to keep him out of offensive sets with how well his pass protects and catches the football.
Gillaspia is a fullback by position, but he has the versatility to play fullback, H-Back, tight end, and even split out when needed. He will take time to develop, but his long-term trajectory for an offensive cog is hard not to ignore.

Tyron Johnson Stacking Good Days Together
The rookie wide receiver Tyron Johnson continues to get to work and impress. The Texans are working to preserve DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller from taking the bulk of the snaps on the field with the offense. That is allowing Johnson to get his shot catching the football from Deshaun Watson.

Today, Johnson showed he is a vertical threat and can beat man coverage when needed. He had three big receptions that flipped the field, and two of those would have resulted in touchdowns. One came off the arm of A.J. McCarron and the other from Watson. Johnson has shown he can work the underneath routes well, but this was the first time to really see Johnson work vertical which was a welcomed surprise.

Johnson admitted that he is doing everything to pick the brain of Hopkins and Fuller and taking time out with Andre Johnson to learn as much as he can about the position. The younger Johnson said Andre Johnson coaches him up on what to look for on coverages, depth of routes and pointers to refine his game.

The fact the Texans are spending time with him and more importantly pushing him against the better competition is something to monitor heading to the preseason games.

more from the same article....

Quick Hitters
  • TE Darren Fells had a bounce-back day after a rough weekend of drops and a fumble. He looked a little better catching the football and had a much better overall practice. With Jordan Thomas and Kahale Warring sitting out of practice, Fells is heading to potentially making a roster spot when the season arrives.
  • QB Deshaun Watson is spreading the wealth, and at one point he targeted five different players on five consecutive passes. He went four of five on those throws, and he continues to display pinpoint accuracy.
  • One of the best matchups to watch each practice is CB Aaron Colvin against WR Keke Coutee. Both are pushing each other with routes and coverage. One day Coutee might have the upper hand, and then Colvin will have a string of slowing down Coutee. It is a good sign of two vital players for the offense and defense challenging each other to make each other better for the regular season.
  • DE Charles Omenihu (who??) had flashes of solid plays. Today, he was able to get his arms up in the passing lanes to knock passes down. Omenihu continues to have flash plays through five days of camp.
  • OL Martinas Rankin continues to put together solid work a guard. Only in his second season, this is his first extended work at the guard position learning and playing the position. Rankin is pushing for one of the primary backups behind the starting group.
  • DE J.J. Watt is just a handful on the field. When he runs past quarterbacks with his hands up past the quarterback that is an indication it would be a sack. Watt had two of those today during team drills. Watt remains a complete edge dominator for the defense.
(LoL, breaking news: JJ continues to embarrass Devlin's guys)
:ahhaha:

Doesn't look like a guard to me. If 71 is getting blown off the ball I'm not blaming 71, I'm blaming the guy that put him at guard and wasted time again with another guy at the wrong position. We'll see soon enough.
Everything I’ve read is that the Texans eventually want him at LT but he will need a little time. He’s already locking down the LG spot. So Texans can do what some here suggest...keep him at LT and learn from the sideline or start him at LG and start developing his OL communication and skill set in actual games. No brainer and only an idiot would want to set him when he’s already an OL improvement. What’s Dillard doing these days?

Word I've heard on the radio is that Howard, even as a rookie, can right now dominate at guard against all but the most elite DT's such as Watt. He stonewalls Reader.

Instead of bookend tackles, Howard and Scharping could anchor our interior at OG.
Fine as long as they continue to improve and are at some point moved outside, especially Howard. It would be disappointing to draft two offensive tackles in their college days in the 1st and second rounds then have both end up as guards.

Fine as long as they continue to improve and are at some point moved outside, especially Howard. It would be disappointing to draft two offensive tackles in their college days in the 1st and second rounds then have both end up as guards.
Not really. It's been discussed here on this forum (notice comments here are ahead of the curve) that Watson faced pressure last year from the middle. He wasn't able to step up into the pocket.

This is what I heard being discussed on the radio. If we can develope a wall OG-OC-OG that would allow Watson to step up, OT becomes less of a concern as long as the OT's can force the rush deep and to the outside.

Making the strength of our line the middle fits into a recent move by defenses to upgrade the athleticism of the interior defensive pass rush and athlete.

more from the same article....

Quick Hitters
  • TE Darren Fells had a bounce-back day after a rough weekend of drops and a fumble. He looked a little better catching the football and had a much better overall practice. With Jordan Thomas and Kahale Warring sitting out of practice, Fells is heading to potentially making a roster spot when the season arrives.
  • QB Deshaun Watson is spreading the wealth, and at one point he targeted five different players on five consecutive passes. He went four of five on those throws, and he continues to display pinpoint accuracy.
  • One of the best matchups to watch each practice is CB Aaron Colvin against WR Keke Coutee. Both are pushing each other with routes and coverage. One day Coutee might have the upper hand, and then Colvin will have a string of slowing down Coutee. It is a good sign of two vital players for the offense and defense challenging each other to make each other better for the regular season.
  • DE Charles Omenihu (who??) had flashes of solid plays. Today, he was able to get his arms up in the passing lanes to knock passes down. Omenihu continues to have flash plays through five days of camp.
  • OL Martinas Rankin continues to put together solid work a guard. Only in his second season, this is his first extended work at the guard position learning and playing the position. Rankin is pushing for one of the primary backups behind the starting group.
  • DE J.J. Watt is just a handful on the field. When he runs past quarterbacks with his hands up past the quarterback that is an indication it would be a sack. Watt had two of those today during team drills. Watt remains a complete edge dominator for the defense.
(LoL, breaking news: JJ continues to embarrass Devlin's guys)
:ahhaha:

To be fair JJ embarrasses a lot of Oline coaches guys.

Not really. It's been discussed here on this forum (notice comments here are ahead of the curve) that Watson faced pressure last year from the middle. He wasn't able to step up into the pocket.

This is what I heard being discussed on the radio. If we can develope a wall OG-OC-OG that would allow Watson to step up, OT becomes less of a concern as long as the OT's can force the rush deep and to the outside.

Making the strength of our line the middle fits into a recent move by defenses to upgrade the athleticism of the interior defensive pass rush and athlete.

This, exactly. Watson is mobile and athletic enough to get by an end if there's solid pass blocking in the middle. If the edge rusher is washed inside, Watson can move outside, and if the rusher is ridden up the field, it creates a hole inside. His biggest problem outside of holding the ball too long is pressure up the middle chasing him into waiting edge rushers. Shore that middle up, and your warts at OT are diminished. With that kind of athlete at QB, your OTs don't have to be elite. It would be nice to have a pro-bowl caliber OT on both sides, but it's just not in the cards this season. Strengthen that middle, and let Watson work around the ends when he needs to.

Edit to add:
If BOB could be even just a little bit creative in the screen or bootleg game, that would help even more.

Last edited:
Word I've heard on the radio is that Howard, even as a rookie, can right now dominate at guard against all but the most elite DT's such as Watt. He stonewalls Reader.

Instead of bookend tackles, Howard and Scharping could anchor our interior at OG.

But ....... But. We used our top two picks on GUARDS??? Pay the 1st round premium on a GUARD? SMH.

Fortunately, strength is one of the easier issues to rectify at the NFL level. He has excellent athleticism, which is a trait you can't rectify easily.

His combine workout suggests he's an avg athlete who may be suited best for where he's playing right now, LG. Nothing wrong with developing into a very good LG. It's not like the Texans OL couldn't use an upgrade at LG.

This, exactly. Watson is mobile and athletic enough to get by an end if there's solid pass blocking in the middle. If the edge rusher is washed inside, Watson can move outside, and if the rusher is ridden up the field, it creates a hole inside. His biggest problem outside of holding the ball too long is pressure up the middle chasing him into waiting edge rushers. Shore that middle up, and your warts at OT are diminished. With that kind of athlete at QB, your OTs don't have to be elite. It would be nice to have a pro-bowl caliber OT on both sides, but it's just not in the cards this season. Strengthen that middle, and let Watson work around the ends when he needs to.

Edit to add:
If BOB could be even just a little bit creative in the screen or bootleg game, that would help even more.

While I somewhat agree they really need to find a competent LT and there will be an all pro available just before the season starts. Too bad it will cost $$$$ to get him.

But ....... But. We used our top two picks on GUARDS??? Pay the 1st round premium on a GUARD? SMH.

2013 Cowboys took Travis Frederick in the 1st round even though he was projected as a 2nd, possibly early 3rd round prospect....year after they drafted Zach Martin 16th overall & converted him to a guard in 2014.............

Nothing wrong with taking any lineman in the 1st & converting them..you just have to hit.

While I somewhat agree they really need to find a competent LT and there will be an all pro available just before the season starts. Too bad it will cost $$$$ to get him.
If Easterby has any sense, he may just tell Cal to order Butt Chin to go get Williams. Assuming Washington don’t want something outrageous for him. Just don’t be surprised when the Patriots get him for a 6th round pick. Lol!

Which all pro will that be? Because if you mean Williams there is still no word on that yet and skins may not want to let him go even for a 1st.

Fortunately, strength is one of the easier issues to rectify at the NFL level. He has excellent athleticism, which is a trait you can't rectify easily.

But a Guard has to have an anchor. I agree he doesn't look to have enough lower body mass.

Looks can be deceiving. Maybe we'll run more zone. I hope it works out, but he doesn't have the build for a Guard.

Reactions: Max
Back