Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 NFL Mock drafts.

ESPN's Todd McShay has put out a 3 round mock of his own. Here are his Texans selections:

Houston Texans

Round 1 (23): Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State

Round 2 (54): David Long, CB, Michigan

Round 2 (55): Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia

Round 3 (86): Justin Hollins, OLB, Oregon

Dillard is the obvious first-round pick here. The Texans gave up 62 sacks last season. You can't have a franchise QB such as Deshaun Watson taking that many hits. Houston lost Tyrann Mathieu, Kareem Jackson and Kevin Johnson to free agency (while adding Tashaun Gipson and Bradley Roby), so I want to restock the secondary with Long's instincts at corner and Thornhill's ball skills at safety. Taking Hollins gives the Texans an edge rusher with the versatility to line up as a defensive end or stand up as an outside 'backer.

[ESPN+] Mel Kiper Jr.'s and Todd McShay’s Three-Round 2019 Mock NFL Draft

Three rounds and 102 picks. This 2019 NFL mock draft is similar to our "Grade: A" projections: It’s all about whom we would take at each pick. Let’s play general manager for all 32 teams.

The ground rules are simple: alternate picks; no trades; no deals that say "I won’t take Player X if you don’t take Player Y." It’s "This is whom I’d take" at every slot on the board for three full rounds. McShay kicks us off with the Cardinals.

Note: An asterisk denotes a compensatory selection.

23. Houston Texans
McShay’s pick: Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State

Pretty obvious, no? I love this pick here. Need meets skill meets value. Dillard’s 6-foot-5 frame and above-average athleticism ought to improve the league’s worst offensive line, but the only direction to go is up.

54. Houston Texans (from SEA)
Kiper’s pick: Connor McGovern, G, Penn State

Even after McShay gave Houston an offensive tackle in Round 1, if I’m the GM of this team, I’m thinking about another offensive linemen with one of the next two picks. McGovern is my second-ranked guard.

55. Houston Texans
McShay’s pick: Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State

Kiper doubled down on offensive line, so let’s replenish the secondary stable after the Texans lost Kareem Jackson and Kevin Johnson to free agency.

86. Houston Texans
Kiper’s pick: Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State

Running back is a position I considered, but there’s value in Harmon here as a potential No. 2 wideout.

Reactions: JB
Chad Reuter of NFL.com put out a 7 round mock. I wasn't real enthused with the Texans selections.

Houston Texans
» Round 1, No. 23 overall: Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
» Round 2, No. 54 (from Seahawks): Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
» Round 2, No. 55: Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame
» Round 3, No. 86: David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin
» Round 5, No. 161: Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota
» Round 6, No. 195: Trace McSorley, QB, Penn State
» Round 7, No. 220 (from Giants through Broncos): Ben Powers, OG, Oklahoma

I highly doubt the Texans draft a TE. They are happy with the 3 we have and I'm sure they will bring one in for competition with Fells in UDFA.

Needs at safety, OL, CB, and probably could use some depth on the DL.

Back