Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 NFL Combine thread

I think the TE group from this draft is being overrated. I've seen Hockenson rated as a top 10 prospect, and I don't see it. He's not a vertical threat, and doesn't have the size to maul DEs. More of a position blocker. His teammate Fant is a flex TE. Not a need for all teams. Ditto Bama's Irv Smith.

There are some interesting mid round types, but it's hard for me to see a single TE going ahead of the Texans pick at #23. Which is disappointing for the Texans.

A mid round guy I really like is Oliver. Very athletic for a TE.

Last night, on his radio program Ferrall on the Bench, Scott Ferrall revealed that several NFL sources are relating that the League is seriously considering extending the NFL Combine to 2 weeks on prime time.:mcnugget:

Two weeks, lol, I’m guessing cameras watch each player take wonderlick test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The WR class appears to be a top flight group this year. These guys are big, fast and can catch. This is the season for the Texans to get another young WR for Watson. A few folks didn't like Hakeem Butler- Iowa State but he was the first WR I mocked to the Texans....I wouldn't be heart broken if the Texans had to settle on Butler.

With this many crazy fast WR's and 3 top TE's....teams might scramble to secure those weapons and allow quality OL to slip into the 20+ picks in RD1 or early RD2. Texans could be in a position to trade back and still land targets or they may be forced to get creative and find a way to move up in RD2 without sacrificing to much.

One thing for certain....this group is going to change the overall NFL speed.

I could only imagine of what an offense would look like running a modern day Run-N-Shoot with 4 wideouts at 6-3 to 6-5 @ 220 to 228 pounds running legit 4.3 and 4.4-40's while adding a TE who can handle all the duties at 6-4 @ 250 to 260 pounds while running a solid 4.5 to 4.7-40. The crazy thing about this.....a team could build this exact kind of group and have backups in the same mold. CB's and S's are falling behind the receivers in regards to size and speed.....this could be a mismatch for a few seasons before some of these tall athletes figure their ticket to the NFL could be better serves on the defensive side of the ball.

You can knock Ohio State corner Kendall Sheffield off your list.................he ruptured his pec the 7th rep of his bench.

You can knock Ohio State corner Kendall Sheffield off your list.................he ruptured his pec the 7th rep of his bench.

Dammit I really liked that guy.

I would still take him in the 6th and wait a yr on him.

How long does it take to recuperate from a ruptured pec? What's the rate of re-injury.

Lot of guys getting hurt on the bench this year. Weird.

True

Man the Wolverine defenders are putting on a show at the combine. How do you think David Long is going to do tomorrow? I really like him alot in the 2nd/3rd for the Texans. Do you think he can play outside.

True

Man the Wolverine defenders are putting on a show at the combine. How do you think David Long is going to do tomorrow? I really like him alot in the 2nd/3rd for the Texans. Do you think he can play outside.

I expect a 4.4 from him. He was one of the faster guys on the team. And yes he can play outside. He played there exclusively at UM.

Bush and Gary crushing it is zero surprise. Difference is Bush shows up on tape, Gary does not.

Iosua Opeta from Weber State did 39 reps on bench, had 33 in vertical, is 6'4", is 301 lbs and ran a 5 sec forty. Would be a good player for the OL. Could be a solution at RT.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

Iosua Opeta from Weber State did 39 reps on bench, had 33 in vertical, is 6'4", is 301 lbs and ran a 5 sec forty. Would be a good player for the OL. Could be a solution at RT.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk
It would be a big step up from FCS Big Sky conference to the NFL. We saw that with Davenport, even after a redshirt year. But, I agree that Opeta is an intriguing Day 3 prospect.

It would be a big step up from FCS Big Sky conference to the NFL. We saw that with Davenport, even after a redshirt year. But, I agree that Opeta is an intriguing Day 3 prospect.

This guy is obviously alot stronger than Davenport was.

With that said I wouldn't pick him before the 6th rd because of the Davenport experience. It that fair to this dude who I've never seen play a down of football? Nope, but that's the way I see it.

Opeta would be a great 4th rd. pick, imo, if we had a 4th rd. pick, maybe Texans could salvage a 4th out of Kevin Johnson?

Seriously. Opeta would be an awesome developmental swing tackle or turn him into a RG. So wait until the 5th rd. see who's available and make decision.

If you're looking for speed at CB

Greedy's 4.38 means he wont make it to 23.

Give me Isiah Johnson/David Long in the 2nd and I'm happy.

Jamal Dean and Mark Fields are really fast.

I also think Sean Bunting will do well in the NFL.

Last edited:
UH's Isiah Johnson ran a very good time for a CB with his length.

Ole' Miss CB Ken Webster looks to be healthy.

Miami's Mike Jackson and Penn State's both ran well for long CBs.

@WolverineFan was dead on about David Long being a 4.4. guy.

Disappointed that Baker and Murphy didn't run better. They'll have another shot at the pro day. But this will always be in the back of teams' collective minds when drafting.

Overall, not at the same level as the DL. But, there will be some value picks.

Disappointed that Baker and Murphy didn't run better. They'll have another shot at the pro day. But this will always be in the back of teams' collective minds when drafting.

Wolverine knows his prospects.

I wouldn't even have a problem with the Texans trading down a bit and taking Long late 1st/early 2nd.

I've watched some Baylor games, but I cannot remember Derrek Thomas at all. He is a Temple transfer that followed Matt Ruhle to Waco.

Greedy's camp just shut him down; he looked terrible during the drills and now he conveniently has cramps
Let's say that no CBs were taken in the initial 22 picks. That would be the first time since the 1986 draft, when Tampa Bay took the first CB, Rod Jones out of SMU, with the 25th pick. That would be crazy. But, it seems possible.

I cannot WAIT for Jamel Dean’s combine workout (CB- Auburn)!! :frog::coffee:
+ his film is :lock:
+ 6’2, 208 lbs and lonnnnnng
= :chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend: #DontBeLate@jmd0074

— Erik Burkhardt (@ErikBurkhardt) February 18, 2019

Jamel Dean @jmd0074 =the fastest player at NFL Combine :trophy: 4.30. https://t.co/wM0vExFi0d

— Erik Burkhardt (@ErikBurkhardt) March 4, 2019

I still really like Mullen. Think he's a Round 1 player. https://t.co/rZBKX5aZxq

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) March 4, 2019

4.51 official for Rock Ya-Sin. Think we need to get him in that late 1st convo.

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) March 4, 2019

I just don't get all of the Ya Sin love. He's neither exceptionally quick or fast.

Give me Long/Johnson/Williams or Dean from this group. They all have some traits that stick out.
I like how he performed in the Senior Bowl. He kept up with Deebo which would negate that he isn’t quick. Plus he ran a decent 40 at the combine.

Williams on the other hand had a rough SB.

I like how he performed in the Senior Bowl. He kept up with Deebo which would negate that he isn’t quick. Plus he ran a decent 40 at the combine.

Williams on the other hand had a rough SB.

Ya Sin screams safety to me. lacks foot speed uses his hands/arms to change direction and watching tape he is very grabby. While I still like him just not as a corner in the NFL.

Murphy is the only corner I would give a first round grade to. Don't care what his forty is, he doesn't waste steps, transitions well, put together so really feel minimizes any injury concerns next level (high importance to me) carries himself like a polished pro, just love him and will be in my final cut for #23.

Murphy is the only corner I would give a first round grade to. Don't care what his forty is, he doesn't waste steps, transitions well, put together so really feel minimizes any injury concerns next level (high importance to me) carries himself like a polished pro, just love him and will be in my final cut for #23.
He gets another shot at his pro day. But until proven otherwise, I can’t use a 1st on a guy without speed. Especially at that size. A bigger CB that can really play press, maybe. I can’t give any 1st round grades at CB. See who’s available in the 2nd, and take a shot then.

He gets another shot at his pro day. But until proven otherwise, I can’t use a 1st on a guy without speed. Especially at that size. A bigger CB that can really play press, maybe. I can’t give any 1st round grades at CB. See who’s available in the 2nd, and take a shot then.

Lot of things concern me too especially for a corner but Murphy fits in between a Marcus Peters and Budda Baker profile. Think he is cleaner than Peters both on and off the field and has added 14 lbs to have more of a body type like Baker, but still a corner. So I wouldn't get all hung up on a 4.55 @ Indy.

Last edited:
I'd still be very satisfied if the Texans could secure both Mullen and Johnson in the draft. I just think both could be gone before RD2-22 & 23.

Dammit I really liked that guy.

I would still take him in the 6th and wait a yr on him.

How long does it take to recuperate from a ruptured pec? What's the rate of re-injury.
It's typically a 5-6 month recovery. Once well repaired, reinjury is unlikely, and performance should return to pre-injury level.

Back