Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 NFL Combine thread

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
general_player_schedule_2019.jpg

Combine Participants

There will likely be additional players added. Some of the players that starred in the all star games (Penny Hart, BJ Autry, Tre Watson) may very well receive invites. One player that was invited, Wyoming edge rusher Carl Granderson, will likely see his recinded after a recent sexual assault allocation.

There will likely be additional players added. Some of the players that starred in the all star games (Penny Hart, BJ Autry, Tre Watson) may very well receive invites. One player that was invited, Wyoming edge rusher Carl Granderson, will likely see his recinded after a recent sexual assault allocation.

Did not know this about Granderson.

When did this happen.

Carl Granderson facing sexual assault charge.

Former University of Wyoming football standout Carl Granderson has been charged with sexual assault, according to a university statement.

According to the school, charges of third-degree sexual assault and sexual battery were filed against Granderson this week in Albany County Circuit Court stemming from an off-campus incident that occurred after the season.

That's not good! If true, he may have blown his best chance of getting drafted or even getting into the NFL. If not true, it still could cost him a lot of money and set back his playing career.
Right, no one is drafting a player who might be in prison when training camp rolls around.

Right, no one is drafting a player who might be in prison when training camp rolls around.
Or you could take punt in the 7th round a la Cowboys with La'el Collins - their starting right tackle.
Was under a murder investigation and cleared - originally projected to go in the first half of the first round but fell all the way down until Dallas threw him a parachute.

Or you could take punt in the 7th round a la Cowboys with La'el Collins - their starting right tackle.
Was under a murder investigation and cleared - originally projected to go in the first half of the first round but fell all the way down until Dallas threw him a parachute.

If he's innocent and falls out of the draft.....that's the kind of guy who shows up to camp with a massive chip on his shoulder.

If he's innocent and falls out of the draft.....that's the kind of guy who shows up to camp with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Why is he even worth a consideration? This was before the charges

2019 NFL DRAFT PLAYER PROFILE: CARL GRANDERSON
TDN STAFF DECEMBER 24, 2018

Granderson is a hard-charging edge defender with limited production despite facing non-Power 5 competition. 16.5 career sacks and just three sacks in 2018 highlight a disappointing resume in the box score, one that too easily translates over to the tape. Granderson plays hard and has some rush moves to lean on, but he’s painfully lacking athletically and doesn’t have the burst or bend to win many 1v1s on the edge. His best shot at making a roster is probably as a situational interior rusher who needs to ball on special teams to find a place in the NFL.

CONS: Athleticism widely disappoints. Lacks explosiveness off the snap to be a true threat to corner and does not have the agility to drop in space as a coverage player at 255 pounds. Is immediately upright out of his stance and can get easily broadsided by down blocks accordingly. Has very little, if any, power to his frame (especially in the lower half) — gets blown off the ball. Lack of discipline and over-aggressive penetrator mindset only exacerbate the issue: will try to get into gaps he never could, and loses leverage terribly, giving up big running plays.

Is currently uncomfortable playing within OT’s cylinder as a pass-rusher, which greatly limits his ability to generate pressure/sacks. Tries to bend corner without taking the edge track tight to the frame, and is subsequently pushed beyond the peek of the pocket. Gives up his back too often to punches as he attempts to clear his shoulders. Generates no notable hand usage or rush moves beyond inside spin, which is only a decent move to this point. Lacks a great motor.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/24/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-carl-granderson/

Collins went undrafted, and mainly by choice.

After he slipped I think past the 2nd round it was made a story that if he was drafted later he would refuse to sign a contract with any team that drafted him because he stood to lose a lot of money. He wanted to be an UDFA, get to choose where he went and sign a shorter term deal so he could recoup that money quicker. He has since signed a 2 year extension worth $15.4 mil so it seems it has somewhat worked out for him.

NCAA all time sack leader Jaylon Ferguson had his combine invite rescinded due to a misdemeanor battery charge that stemmed from a fight he had while in high school with another high school student. Honestly the NFL is getting quite ridiculous with this now, as it's just a PR ploy to make themselves look better after being found out to try to cover up incidents with players like Kareem Hunt. Same league that will still trot known woman beater Jim Brown around like a show pony...

NCAA all time sack leader Jaylon Ferguson had his combine invite rescinded due to a misdemeanor battery charge that stemmed from a fight he had while in high school with another high school student. Honestly the NFL is getting quite ridiculous with this now, as it's just a PR ploy to make themselves look better after being found out to try to cover up incidents with players like Kareem Hunt. Same league that will still trot known woman beater Jim Brown around like a show pony...

Yep, they don't want to fix the issue. Would be better to let the teams get to know the players than taking a blind shot. If the NFL was serious about the issue they would hold teams accountable for the actions of their players. Future draft picks are the most valuable asset of a team. Have an independent unbiased agency research and evaluate teams off the field involvement, rewarding community service and penalizing for violence and legal issues. Base amount of teams draft capital on the score awarded by the agency, highest scoring teams might get multiple 1st rounders while the worst might not pick till the 3rd round. Problem solved, but the NFL knows that eliminating some of the best athletes who are POS takes down the quality of the game.

Yep, they don't want to fix the issue. Would be better to let the teams get to know the players than taking a blind shot. If the NFL was serious about the issue they would hold teams accountable for the actions of their players. Future draft picks are the most valuable asset of a team. Have an independent unbiased agency research and evaluate teams off the field involvement, rewarding community service and penalizing for violence and legal issues. Base amount of teams draft capital on the score awarded by the agency, highest scoring teams might get multiple 1st rounders while the worst might not pick till the 3rd round. Problem solved, but the NFL knows that eliminating some of the best athletes who are POS takes down the quality of the game.

Careful gs, you start throwing out those ideas that are based on good old common sense, and some group is gonna' get a bullhorn, and start marchin' on ya' !

Welp after taking some serious flak, I guess as a direct result of Ferguson's agent's open letter about the situation the NFL has agreed to let the 3 players who were previously uninvited go to the combine to do medical evals and interviews, they just cannot participate in the on field activities.

Welp after taking some serious flak, I guess as a direct result of Ferguson's agent's open letter about the situation the NFL has agreed to let the 3 players who were previously uninvited go to the combine to do medical evals and interviews, they just cannot participate in the on field activities.
Isn’t DT Jeffery Simmons (possible 1st Rd talent)one of those players? He wasn’t invited because of I think a battery charge from high school. (Protecting his sister....I’m not positive on the details)

I think the NFL should consider the timeline of the incidents as well as the charge. High schoolers do stupid **** all the time without thinking of the consequences

So some positions including offensive tackle have already had their weigh-in and looks like Andre Dillard & Jonah Williams "short-armed" it with marginally acceptable measurements of about 33 1/2 " for both while Greg Little came in > 35 ".

Debrief: Cardinals, Giants face similar dilemmas at quarterback

link

Interesting read from coaches and gm's at combine

OU QB Kyler Murray measured at 5'10" 207 lbs. Hand size was 9-1/2", more or less what the other top QBs measured. Every knew he was short, so the rest is actually a positive. If a team liked Murray in the 1st round, they still like him. Which is good for the Texans. The more QBs taken ahead of the Texans, the better.

There are some big, physical WRs in this draft. N'Keal Harry, Kevin Harmon, Lil'Jordon Humphrey to name a few. And then there's DK Metcalf out of Ole Miss. 6'3" 228 lbs with nearly 35" arms and 10" hands. Numbers some OTs are envious of. He's a freak, and somehow comes out of the Metcalf stock (Terry, Eric, etc.). Not a DNA expert, but how is that possible?

Metcalf's production doesn't measure up to his measurements. But that won't stop a team from taking him in the top 20. Again, that's good news for the Texans.

There are some big, physical WRs in this draft. N'Keal Harry, Kevin Harmon, Lil'Jordon Humphrey to name a few. And then there's DK Metcalf out of Ole Miss. 6'3" 228 lbs with nearly 35" arms and 10" hands. Numbers some OTs are envious of. He's a freak, and somehow comes out of the Metcalf stock (Terry, Eric, etc.). Not a DNA expert, but how is that possible?

Metcalf's production doesn't measure up to his measurements. But that won't stop a team from taking him in the top 20. Again, that's good news for the Texans.

And Hakeem Butler, probably not likely but wouldn't that change the offense a little if he lasted to the Texans in the 2nd round. Great year for big WRs. 7' wingspan!

Darrell Henderson, Devin Singletary, and Treyveon Williams all have that Steve Slaton, bowling ball build (5'8", 205 lbs). I'd like the Texans to take one of these guys in the 3rd, and see if those O'Brien draw plays might actually work occasionally.

Look at the vines hanging off of Martez Ivey ! He was coming out last year, then decided not to. I don't think he all that .... but's he's got length !

Kyler Murray is not throwing(expected) but is also not running or doing any agility drills. Appears to me he is worried what his numbers might be with his added weight

Kyler Murray is not throwing(expected) but is also not running or doing any agility drills. Appears to me he is worried what his numbers might be with his added weight
I'm about 5'10", 5'11", and 185lbs and my body fat ratio is rated very good (I work out with weights twice a week) but still carrying a little extra so he must look overweight at 206.

Not that big on the bench press as a metric by itself. But there are things that I can glean. The small school guys don't have the mega weight rooms with trainers, assistant trainers, assistant to the assistant trainers, etc. That's why when I see guys like Udoh, Howard, and Ferris State's Devon Johnson performing as well as, if not better than, the big school guys, I'm impressed. Shows that they're self motivated and want to be a pro.

Is this post serious?
Fair enough.
Russell Wilson was 5'11" 204 and Drew Brees was 6'0" 213 so 206 is not too heavy for his 5'10" as a QB.
11 lbs heavier than his college playing weight so that might be scaring him off from drills at the combine.

Upper body strength beyond a certain point isn't really necessary -- lower body strength can really set you apart. But still interesting to me that Cody Ford only had 19 reps. Thought he'd be near the top but he might be able to squat a Volkswagen for all I know.
Ford is a goodun' and various scouts have only good things to say about him - would be very happy if he landed here.

Reactions: Max
Andre Dillard with a ridiculous 1.69 10 yard split in his 40
He's head and shoulders above the other OTs in regards to movement skills. Cajuste didn't run the 40, be he's moving around pretty good. The rest of this group of OTs are pretty stiff.

Williams, Taylor, Risner, Little, and Howard are in the next group. Looks like Taylor won't be there at all? Too bad, if true.

Back